• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF College Outreach: Pacific West Chapter ~Last Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
College is a big thing for most of you out there, and by no means do I want to detract from your studies and experiences in the classroom (which I encourage by all means), you know what else is awesome? All of the extra curricular activities you can partake in - now what if we added Smash into the picture?

Getting better attendance at tournaments, organized play, better practice, and much more. These are some of the things we can hope by spreading the word about Smash World Forums and Smash Organizations alike through the US. I will be heading a project to help spread awareness of such groups, and provide support for others in the creation and upkeep of these organizations along with others through the SWF College Outreach Program.

Still in the early parts of it, step 1 is something simple. I would like to find out which Smashers here currently go to, or have attended college, along with a simple question or two. If this applies to you, it would be a big help to fill out the couple of questions at the end of this post, it should take no more than a minute to fill out!

There is a copy of this thread in each of the regional zones. Please only fill it out once, and reply to the section for which region your college is in (for instance if you live in Atlantic North but go to school in Atlantic South, please reply to the Atl. South thread).

What college/university do you go to?

What state is this school in?

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
School: University of California - Irvine
State: California
Expected date of graduation: 2012

There is no specific Smash organization, but the club I'm in - FUSION (Filipinos Unifying Scientists-engineers In an Organized Network) - has people like myself who like to play Smash (mostly Melee). The club tries to host Smash (both Melee and Brawl... but mostly Melee :)) tournaments at least once a quarter. Another organization, IEEE (Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers), also host gaming events, but they usually focus on computer games and online console games. They occasionally include Smash, and when they do, it is almost always Brawl.

I'm currently the Treasurer of FUSION for the 2009-2010 academic year.

Hope this helps, ChiboSempai!

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
University of Washington, Seattle

WA

Enrolled

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?
Summer 2012 if all goes according to plan

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?
Not a specific organization, though we are in the process of starting some kind of semi-official Melee/SSB64 meet on campus on Fridays

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?
No.

L__

Smash Master
Academy of Art University

California

Starting soon, I'm enrolled though.

I can look into this soon-ish.

Not yet. :l

Kira-

Smash Champion
Irvine Valley College (community college)

California

Enrolled

I plan to graduate this summer, then I will be transferring to another 4-year university.

It has a Gaming club, some people do play smash (maybe 10).

Unfortunately I do not.

I P Freely

Smash Journeyman
University of Southern California

California

Enrolled

We have a USC Gamers' Network, which hosts Smash tournaments

Nope, but I help run all the Melee tournaments

HugS™

Smash Lord
Cal State University Northridge

California

Enrolled

Spring 2012

I think we do, but i don't know much info about it.

N/A

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Cal Poly Pomona

California

Currently enrolled.

Fall 2011

I THINK there's a video game club and an Anime club... I don't really have much interest in them.

Nope.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
University of California, Irvine

California

Enrolled

Fusion holds smash tournaments, here and there. A few of us been talking about starting a club but are too lazy to write a constitution.

No.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
you guys have no idea how tempted i am to make a farcical response to this thread

hope my reply made you giggle at the possibilities

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
When I saw that "durrr" had the latest post in the thread, I came running in the hopes of such a post (since I knew it would be extremely unlikely that you'd post a direct response to the questions in the OP), but those hopes were dashed. Admittedly I did still giggle at the possibilities.

GreatFox64

Smash Journeyman
California State University Northridge

Cali

enrolled

i plan to graduate from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in 2013-2014 after transferring there from CSUN this fall.

CSUN does have a smash organization (it's approval is being handled by NeoAkira).

Vice President

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
University of California, Santa Barbara

California

Enrolled

There is a club called "Smash Club." They play N64 Smash, Melee, and Brawl, but I only play Melee. :)

No.

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman

UC Berkeley

California

Taking a break. Back next year.

I guess I'll graduate around 2012? Taking mah time lol

Super Smash Bears club. Izzy (aka radicalreactor) started it and there's about 10 really good players that are pretty active. It kinda got taken over by Brawl ***s though, so the Melee players don't use the club so much anymore.

Used to. Could again next year.

onski?

Smash Ace
San Francisco State University

California

about to graduate son!

Summer 2010 bish

The Competitive Gaming Community @ San Francisco State University

President, Vice President = Hostility

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

California

Freshman in the Fall

idk

idk

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I attend Oregon State University

Oregon

I will graduate next year.

Nothing fancy, but there is a smash scene for both melee and brawl.

No.
10characters

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord

UC Merced

CA

Enrolled

Yes, the "Super Smash Bros. Melee Club at UC Merced."

I am the President.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
University of California - Berkeley

California

Enrolled

Super Smash Bears: this is mostly brawl. There are some Melee players in Berkeley. Most are a public transit ride away.

Negative

!Peligro!

Smash Journeyman
University of California, Los Angeles

California

Enrolled

June 2010

We started a group called the Intercollegiate Gaming Association which we actually refer to as "Smash Fight Club". We usually have 5 setups, sometimes more and play both Melee and Brawl and meet once a week for several hours. Mostly casual play and small tourneys. Not sure about other campus organizations.
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=40520938929&ref=ts

Sort of... we only really have a president, but its all pretty community based, not much officer responsibility.

Spac3Roids

Smash Rookie
California College of the Arts (CCA)

Oakland, CA

Enrolled

2013-2016

nothing at all

keeper

Smash Champion
Portland State University

Oregon.

Next Fall term.

2015 I guess?

They have some video game club, I believe.

Lol.
ahkfgjbaabj

emerican

Smash Ace
The Art Institute of California - Hollywood

California

enrolled

Expected graduation 2012

Video Game Guild

No

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Cypress College

CA

Enrolled

Transfer in 2011

Probably has a vg/anime club, but I'm not aware of it.

shehehe11

Smash Apprentice

UC Berkeley

CA

Starting Soon

UC Berkeley has a smash club (Super smash bears) although I've heard its more oriented towards Brawl

Nefarious B

Smash Champion

UCSD

CA

Enrolled

not that I know of

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Hey Berkeley people:

I am taking classes at Cal at the moment and will be here till 7/2, on the weekdays. Call if you want to play 510-676-4086

brdy_

Smash Lord
Eastern Washington University

Washington

enrolled

Yes. I used to be president of the EWU Smash Club, but it dissolved and now I'm a part of the EWU Gamers Club

I used to but now I'm just a peon :-B

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
UCSB

CA

Enrolled until 2012

Does your school have a specific Smash organization?
I am the co-president of "UCSB Smash Club". We hold a tournament every quarter, and meet weekly on Saturday nights. The other co-presidents are TonyGuacamole and A2Z

dsafness

Smash Rookie
Sonoma Sate University

California

Starting soon, class of 2014

There is a "Gaming Society", I heard that there was a brawl tournament last year.

highfive

Smash Lord
College of Southern Idaho

Idaho

Starting soon. Last year of high school.

No.

No.

Just had to bump this. Anyone in Buhl (Not 3 hours away) vm me! Or going to CSI.

VANS

Smash Ace
uc davis

ca

enrolled

yes; smash club

uh, i CAN

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Portland State University.

Oregon

Enrolled.

Graduate Spring 2011. May stay in town afterward, depends on job stuff.

Video Game Club - Random Select. The people running it graduated Spring 2010, so I'm not sure of the specifics this year. Not many people play Smash seriously there, though.

I do not.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
UC Santa Cruz, formerly UC Santa Barbara

California

Graduate student

I graduated from UC Santa Barbara in 2004 with a Bachelor's.
I plan on finishing at UC Santa Cruz in 2011.

Not officially, although there are usually weekly smashfests on campus.
DEEP NORCAL.

I'm the boss of DEEP NORCAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom