• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Summer Brawl/ July 18th @ Pownz

.Marik

is a social misfit
Ban Japes, allow Luigi's Mansion to be a Counterpick for Singles please. :]

Niko_K

Smash Master
Can someone provide a logical reason as to why Japes deserve a ban? Everything "stupid" about it is amazingly systematic. The claps come out the same time everytime, just keep your eye on the time. Use it as a strategy. It's a CP for a reason. There are no random obstructions and no circle camping oppurtunities....

Even considering Mansion for legality is just craziness, our scene is so misinformed it's disgusting.

Razing_Zozo

Smash Cadet
Feel free to run future polls on the Pownz forums. Remember, Tournaments at Pownz are always evolving to become better. Maybe a new stage will be banned this time and all will find gameplay more exciting or perhaps the opposite will hold true. Trial and error is the only way to know for sure.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Can someone provide a logical reason as to why Japes deserve a ban? Everything "stupid" about it is amazingly systematic. The claps come out the same time everytime, just keep your eye on the time. Use it as a strategy. It's a CP for a reason. There are no random obstructions and no circle camping oppurtunities....

Even considering Mansion for legality is just craziness, our scene is so misinformed it's disgusting.
Holy sh*t dude, I'm kidding. :\

Relax, I wasn't being serious and only intended it to be a joke comment.

In regards to Japes, it's just my own personal biased opinion I suppose. :[

*Edit* Either you're really pissed off, or you really don't remember that Yoshi player at Pownz that gave you a hard time and almost beat you in Pools. :(

Niko_K

Smash Master
Do I need to tell everyone my intent of emotion before I post? I simply explained why it shouldn't be banned and you think I'm super angry over a video game stage XD.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Democratically is not the best way to decide everything, as everyone is going to vote in their best interests.
For instance if I had to vote on "lylat being moved out of neutrals", I would vote yes.

Does it benefit me signifigantly to have it moved out? Yes.
Doing I really think it should be moved? No, but I'm going to vote yes anyways, as it benefits me directly.

You can see how that applies to the current situation:

This ban just basically screws over Falco players, as previously when facing a falco player you'd have to use your ban on japes. Now you can ban another Falco cp, as the tournament just auto bans japes for you. Does this directly benefit a lot of players? Yes.

Those who truly think the stage is stupid can just ban it in a set if they don't want to go to it. (Which is what my ban choice ends up being 90% of the time for stages like lylat and frigate...)

.Marik

is a social misfit
Do I need to tell everyone my intent of emotion before I post? I simply explained why it shouldn't be banned and you think I'm super angry over a video game stage XD.
The tone of your posts suggested otherwise.

swordgard

Smash Hero

I provided tons of reason why it shouldnt be banned, but apparently im elitist.

Doesnt meant we shouldnt argue about it. Its not cause mikey wants a poll that we cant inform the public before making a decision instead of acting like blind little sheeps following the OMG BAN wandbagon which is becoming more and more of a common practice in brawl community. We want an informed debate please, and it seems that nobody gave valid reason to ban this except personal bias and thinking its gay,

EDIT: Minus, give me your aim/msn, we need to discuss brawl D:

.Marik

is a social misfit
Text doesn't carry tone man
Yes it can and very well does. Words are powerful.

If I said "I f*cked your mom" (I don't mean it, of course) you'd assume I was being hostile, and giving angry attitude.

Tone can be carried out through text/words. It was also the content of your posts, you referring to how the GtaN community apparently "doesn't know anything" and the blatant post of "^ poster above me is an idiot" without giving any indication you weren't being super serious business over it. I knew you were kidding, but the second post made me think otherwise.

Even so, it's all a matter of opinions about whether Japes should be banned. A democratic vote is the only option, and if it doesn't work, what do you people suggest?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Text doesn't carry tone man :) It's all self percieved
It does carry my condescendant tone towards scrubs though.

At least i hope so. Im so elitist apparently. If by elitist people mean i dont approve of dumbing the game down for people who are misinformed and uninformed, then yes, i am elitist.

No but seriously, niko_k is right, we make the tone in our heads, stop actually thinking you know how the person is talking when you are obviously not in their head.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yes it can and very well does. Words are powerful.

If I said "I f*cked your mom" (I don't mean it, of course) you'd assume I was being hostile, and giving angry attitude.

Tone can be carried out through text/words. It was also the content of your posts, you referring to how the GtaN community apparently "doesn't know anything" and the blatant post of "^ poster above me is an idiot" without giving any indication you weren't being super serious business over it. I knew you were kidding, but the second post made me think otherwise.

Even so, it's all a matter of opinions about whether Japes should be banned. A democratic vote is the only option, and if it doesn't work, what do you people suggest?
Nope, it could be sarcastic, done in a dramatic way, or anything. You assumed it was hostile and not a joke.

Japes being banned is about opinion maybe, but there is something called a valid opinion and an uninformed one, apparently alot of people here have personal bias towards stage without any real argument behind it.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Which is why I said our region is very misinformed. Marik then twisted my words into the GTAN community doesn't know anything.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^^ But then again, the content didn't prove otherwise in this particular case.

People who think words don't carry tone and feelings need to go read some morbid poetry or listen to Immortal Technique.

I'm going to go waste another hour and a half browsing SmashBoards because I honestly have no life. :D

*Edit* I never twisted anything, stop taking the original joke post so seriously and calling our region misinformed because of a simple post that doesn't necessarily reflect what the overall community feels.

It was a biased personal opinion, not valid Tournament data. Let it go.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Which is why I said our region is very misinformed. Marik then twisted my words into the GTAN community doesn't know anything.
Which imo is also the case either way, GTAN may not be ignorant. But it seems like in every community that it is primarly composed of uninformed people who are biased and believe that their personal opinions are automatically defined as facts and that they have the right to express it as if it was. They then cannot take any logic that is then thrown at them and would rather flame the other user instead of engaging into a rational argument because they simply believe to be right and that the other's argument is invalid.

Simple as that.\

Nobody has yet refuted neither of my points while i already refuted the fact that klap can kill you at 0%, its only if you are a light weight and DI straight down. As for the campfest, it can go both ways very easily so its not a problem. Any person with projectile can also beat MK camping to the outter right, if MK camps the outter left he can die very easily too. The water can kill you at low %, but it can also save you from stupid SDs.

EDIT: Not directed at at marikyoshi, but to people in general who believe democracy is the right way. If you want democracy, make it informed democracy at least.

Razing_Zozo

Smash Cadet
There is only one person, ONE BRAWLER that can solve a problem as contraversal and community spliting as this...that's right, Yami Akatsuki!

Where are you?

We need your wisdom and guidance!

swordgard

Smash Hero
dam cant make it to this one guys, **** job. But il see ya all at nikos.
swordgard, you better be there, 5$ mm :)
Il do a 5 bucks MM only if we also money match souls at the same time.

Your soul vs kev's(you know you want his lol XD)

nickcam

Smash Ace
Swordgard its not the klap that can kill u at 0 its the water. I have yet to see anyone refute the point that it promotes HUGE camping (even more so then Ps1).

Mikey7

Smash Lord
You guys decide then, I don't personally care, and I didn't factor my vote into it, but personally I don't mind the stage because I live til 200+ on it or I would just go Falco

Its whatever you guys want, I don't care. Figure something out.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'll try my hand at the ban it argument.

So the way I see it, Cam is right about both the water and the camping. The water on this stage is unlike anything else, and it can carry you off at 0 percent. A stage that can kill u at 0 is ridiculous. Only characters with GREAT recovery can make it back. There is only like 1/4 of the cast that can return if they fall from the right hand side. This makes stage control a huge factor. Failco would then be over powered because he can camp on the far right. Approaching wont be easy, the opponent will definitely be hit by the laser hail storm, and seriously who can out camp Failco. Failco has way to many shine tricks available on that stage, making him hard to punish, and then chain throw into the water is just too ****, knowing that a lot of the cast can't make it back if done on the right part of the stage. Nobody can use this stage like Failco, and for other characters like snake and rob, its just a camp strategy, that could ultimately end up turning into stalling, because using an edge stall would be the only way to avoid a camp without taking damage. No arguments vs the clap trap, that is legit, high ceiling is also legit, why its a counter pick. I also vote for the whole tourney to be played on Neutrals only :laugh:.

o and I just remembered. Some1 said just ban it right, well its typically a waste of a ban. The Failco player will anticipate this, and be able to use another stage. There are other stages Failco has an advantage on, so keep those so that ppl don't have to waste their ban on this.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Tin Man, your final arguement is exactly the reason this should not be done democratically. Did you even read my post?
Its not a waste of a ban, its how it works. Metaknight plays incredibly well on rainbow cruise, the solution is to ban it. Not have the tournament ban it so you don't "waste your ban" and get to be benefited even more. You do not just get free handouts.

The stage wasn't banned before, we shouldn't suddenly have to defend it because of the personal preference and best interests of a small group of players within this thread.

Also, "way to many shine tricks" ? :laugh: Oh **** guys, Falco's shine is breaking the stage!

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
^ It's very normal for a character to have two viable counterpicks. Banning the better of the two has been the no-brainer strategy since the earliest days of Melee. It's also why I used to be annoyed when tournaments would have both PS2 and Pirate Ship banned as they are the only stages in the game that give Ness a significant advantage.

My earlier post was just my way of saying I don't care at all if it's banned or not since I'll just be smart and stage-ban it when I need to or (gasp!) pick a character who does well on that stage. However, since there haven't been any good arguments for banning it at all - don't ban it.

edit: this was directed at Tin Man's post mainly; your post came up afterwords Nate XD.

The_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Water cant kill at 0 if you know what you are doing, srsly it isnt hard. It's only as issue if you fall into it on the left side of the stage, and if that happens dont spam jump, wait till you are almost in blast zone and full hop, dont spam jump or you will SH out of the water and die. Just be patient when it comes to your jump, as if you just got spiked. The fish is easy to time and it is only possible to get killed from it when you are either camping the ledge or after you have been spiked into the water at a beautiful time. Other than that the stage is quite neutral, although there is more focus on map control than on other stages.

EDIT: It kinda seems like im only repeating things that have already been said but no1 is bringing up any more things to talk about. It all boils down to who thinks the water instead of a bottom blast zone makes the stage unplayable. Another thing to consider might be the high ceiling but i dont think that makes the stage deserving of a ban either.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
You guys argue over stupidness.

Only discussion should be who's taking 9th spot and downward. Cause sauga's filling up the top 8. =)

Top Bottom