• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Summer Brawl/ July 18th @ Pownz

Pownz Gaming Centre

Smash Apprentice
Name: Super Summer Brawl!
Smash Brothers Brawl Tournament Singles and Doubles Tournament
Date: Saturday July 18, 2009
307 King St East, Hamilton, Ontario.
Phone: 289-396-4290
Sponsor : Pownz Gaming Centre
Email: Contact@pownz.com
Game Type: Singles and doubles

New Schedule *please read carefully and come on time because it helps everyone out* This schedule is courtesy of a collaboration between Mikey7 & Pownz

12-12:30 Sign ups, setups
1:00 start teams brackets
1:15 start singles pools
5:00 Pool End
5:00-5:30 *Break*, Singles Bracket
6:00-10:00 singles bracket, teams gfs

Cost Per Player: $5 Venue Fee, $10 Prize Pool
Prize Pool: 60 / 30 / 10
Bracket: Double Elimination
Expected Turnout: 40+ Participants

Game Type: Doubles

Cost Per Player: $5 Venue Fee (Note: Venue fee waived if you participated in Singles tournament), $10 Prize Pool
Prize Pool Per Team: 60 / 30 / 10
Expected Turnout: 16 Teams

Rules: SBR Certified
Stock: 3
Timer: 7 Minutes
Double Elimination Bracket
New Members attending the Tournament will receive Basic Memberships at the discounted rate of only $5. ($15 regularly)

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise

July's Tourney will be the best yet!

Additional Rules:

1.Stalling is banned
2. Standing Infinite Grabs are banned
3. Modded Wiis[soft or hard] / illegal copies of Brawl are not permitted during tournament play

General Pownz Rules:
1. Pownz will assign all official tournament matches to specific systems to ensure the smooth pace of the tournament. Any game played during tournament time on a system that has not been assigned to the players will be considered a ‘friendly match’ and be considered a Scratch.
2. As attendees age vary greatly at each tournaments, it is mandatory that all language used during Pownz events is clean and free of obscenities.
3. All attendees should arrive at the Centre clean and odor free, Pownz will provide body spray for those who forgot this policy before they left home.
4. No Drugs or Alcohol are permitted on the premises.

Side Note: Mike7 has agreed to be a director and organize all Pools and Brackets for this event

We also will be doing live stream again, the link will be up shortly.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
Confirm me, Kingace too, I think I'm teaming with him again.

Btw it says Date: June 27th, might want to edit that in case smashers get confuzled.

The_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I'll be there, but...
PS1 is NOT a neutral. It promotes stalling and the windmill/random platforms are just stupid, as much as i hate lylat it is still a very neutral stage, i think you should reconsider your idea to switch the two.
All transformations of PS2 are rediculous and again i encourage you to return your ruleset to how it was earlier.
And why are singles + doubles starting at almost the same time? How is that going to work.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
EVERYBODY BRING SETUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POWNZ LETS SAY HAS 5 NON-LAG, WE NEED 10-15 FOR A GREAT TOURNEY WITH LOTS OF FRIENDLIES. I AM BRINGING 3 TVS AND A WII, SOMEONE ELSE PLEASE BRING a vcr + coaxial cable for my 3rd tv

EVERYBODY WHO CAN BRING SOMETHING PLEASE POST

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I'm guessing that if I come to this, It'll be through transit. So I probably won't be bringing any Setups. But I'll see what happens.

I'll be there. Even though Saturdays are HORRIBLE for me.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
id actually prefer PS1 over Lylat

im am coming to this no matter what, someone good team with me and Pownz im getting that controller of mine !_!

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Pokémon Stadium 2 [added from banned]
apPrECiAtE!

None of the transformations on PS2 are hard to work around, and they only last 30 seconds so ledge camp if you really have to. (Since I know the debate is coming I'll just set my arguments out here): PS2 hurts some characters and helps some characters, but that's what a cp is supposed to do; it doesn't cripple any characters or make some characters unbeatable like a certain stage that should be banned that may or may not be called Norfair does. The fact that PS2 helps more low tiers and hurts more top tiers is just a coincidence and that coincidence in fact encourages knowing how to use the counterpick system.

I'll even help out everyone here; PS2 is Ness' best stage. If you don't like the stage then ban it against me (or other Ness players); problem solved.

edit: forgot to mention I will be there for sure.

zOom!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I will most likely be attending this. I've done some major training over the last couple of weeks, and I still have 2 weeks 2 go so watch out. If I come I will bring a Wii, and I'll be bringing a partner for doubles as well. I'll let you know for sure if I can make it or not.

Patches

Smash Master
Is anyone able to give me a ride from Toronto? I'll MOST LIKELY be in Toronto this weekend.

If I do come, I'll bring a Wii + Brawl and most likely be teaming with AvariceX.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Joe, doubles?

And pownz, please no pools for doubles again. unless you have like 35 teams, you don't do pools. Straight to bracket.

I'll make sure to bring my wii+TV

Shmelo

Smash Rookie
I am going to be there with my Partner Preston. My 2 buddies will be coming too? How do I sign up? or is it at the gate?

Were all on one team, but we'll be separating for doubles.

Patches

Smash Master
I am going to be there with my Partner Preston. My 2 buddies will be coming too? How do I sign up? or is it at the gate?

Were all on one team, but we'll be separating for doubles.
The only team is for doubles.

Unless you're talking about crews, which Pownz won't be doing.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
TVS TVS TVS, THIS IS 2 WEEKS AWAY WE NEED MORE TVS

Also, Pownz, don't even bother hooking up wiis to those 2 mounted LCD TVs...BRUTAL, hook up street fighter or blazblue

kuenzel

Smash Ace
infinita grabs are banned, does that mean like marths infinite on ness/lucas or even ice climbers infinite?
Well, I know for sure that Marth's infinite on Lucas/Ness is banned, we had a little... uh... dispute over that at the last one *Looks at Avarice*.
Never again.

Edit: Oh ya, I'm confirming for this. And as far as I know, Izzo and TIPPR too.
I'll bring a Wii + VCR for Mikeys TV.

2nd Edit: PS2 is ghey. But whatever, It's not like anyone except Avarice will pick it anyways...

Mikey7

Smash Lord
I pm'ed the new event coordinator about the stage list...and no reply...so theres 2 possibilities that might have happened:
1) hes just being a ******* elitist who wants things done his way - in which case big middle finger to you, buddy
2) didn't see my pm yet - in which case, READ MY PM NOW

Is Zozo's name Chris? I don't think so...he said "new" event coordinator and Zozo would listen to suggestions this time. I seriously hope that he just didn't read my PM.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
^Pretty sure Drekken's name is Chris.

As far as PS2 goes I don't really care as I won't be playing Ness in tourney anymore anyway. It's just not worth it. I'll get my Ness vs MK MM against M2K and be done. Even with that said, PS2 is still a legit stage.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
You should definitely be going the way of super cool Dedede : P - best character in the game
Actually the best character in the game is Meta Knight.

Sorry Mikey, I know it was just a joke but u were vulnerable so I just had to do it :p

The coolest character however is Mario, Nintendo's mascot, but unfortunately he sucks in comparison to the 29 characters above him on the tier list

Avarice, who're you gonna main then?
Yea, will u even play in the tourney avarice?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Probably the character who I mained in the beginning anyways - :dedede:

Or I could go MK... I was using Snake for a while but my Snake is really inconsistent. Minus seems to think I should go Kirby. I could go ICs, I have the infinite down really well but other than that I don't like the character at all.

edit: this was in response to Cyan's post.

Best character in the game is indeed the penguin with the mechanized hammer.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Dedede definately amazing : P

Dedede vs MK isn't even bad, I'll show you all my shiz in that matchup - its Dedede vs Falco/Olimar you will need to counterpick for : (

Edit: CHRIS RESPOND TO MY STAGE LIST PM

Edit2: Got smart and checked Pownz last log in time, it was yesterday. Drekken: I hope this was not you on the Pownz account.

Well guys, this tourney might suck again. I think I'll give Drekken til Gi's tourney to respond to my PM before I give up on Pownz.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Thx alot Iliad, Zozo just PM'ed me. Also thx to Zozo for taking charge and giving the community what they want.

Making a scene is a quality of mine that I highly value : )

My stage list looks like its going to be implemented

why PS2 should not be allowed in tournament play: transformations change physics, thats why, its basically a free kill move alot of the time since it makes it incredibly easy to predict airdodges. The changes also completely negate the zoning work that people previously did (i.e. if I'm trying to pressure someone on the edge then all of a sudden a treadmill comes and pushes me off the stage, that basically resets my entire advantage). So yeah, thats why I say no PS2, and why its not playable stage in tournies. Same with nofair, pirate ship, etc. Brinstar works because if those in disadvantageous zones will ultimately take damage from the lava anyways for not having stage control

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
is this starting at 2 again? **** why do you have these bush times when you know ppl have to make it home for the Go bus.......

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'm probably coming to this.

It's on a Saturday, and I'll see about whether or not I have to visit family.

We'll see, but this sounds like a really great day for me to come.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
Singles pools must start while doubles bracket is commencing.

Singles bracket must start @ 2 - 2:15, not 2:30.

These are all little things we can fix, don't worry I'll help Mikey and Nate organize to make things run smoothly.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Singles pools must start while doubles bracket is commencing.

Singles bracket must start @ 2 - 2:15, not 2:30.

These are all little things we can fix, don't worry I'll help Mikey and Nate organize to make things run smoothly.
These times are unrealistic. Don't worry, I got this.

Drekken

Smash Cadet
I pm'ed the new event coordinator about the stage list...and no reply...so theres 2 possibilities that might have happened:
1) hes just being a ******* elitist who wants things done his way - in which case big middle finger to you, buddy
2) didn't see my pm yet - in which case, READ MY PM NOW

Is Zozo's name Chris? I don't think so...he said "new" event coordinator and Zozo would listen to suggestions this time. I seriously hope that he just didn't read my PM.
I guess I can be sort of an elitist on some days :p hahaha

I apologies for the slow reply, I am still getting into the flow of things and bouncing between this forum and Shoryuken.com T.T

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
yoe joe my broe :p haha

Dun w0rry m4n, ppl h4v3 2 g3t th3r3 r1gh7. 1f ppl t4k3 t3h g0 bu5 h0m3, 7h3y t4k3 t3h g0 bu5 th3re as w3ll. S0 1t g1v3s t1m3 2 ppl l1k3 m3 t0 g3t 7h3re

Lol hope this isn't to hard to read.
I had the hardest time reading that, and I think I got a migraine. Thanks a lot >__<!!

.Marik

is a social misfit
i just dont get why registration takes 3hours.....
It's plain ********, and messes people's schedules up.

I have to be back in Toronto at 9:00pm, so I'd have to leave pretty d@mn early, just like last time... and I'm not going through that stupid **** again.

God doesn't want me to attend Tournaments. :[

I can NEVER seem to make these anymore...

Top Bottom