• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SUPER Street Fighter IV Thread: SEYAAAAA

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Hayate is not safe on block. HP is +3 on hit though.
I meant to say NOT safe on block. Hayate shouldn't be safe on block, and you shouldn't use it outside of combos.

Karakusa has bad range, bad priority, and wtf EX Karakusa has less range than regular.
Then Kara it. Have a nice day.

Tsurugi has a wonky hitbox and is slow (EX is the only one that's actually an overhead too wtf)
She has a good overhead already.

No wakeup options
Welcome to have the cast.

[quote[Dash speed doesn't mean a thing when you're forced to commit to that lag and get hit by just about anything.
then your dashing at the wrong time. Dashing is NOT an approach method with Makoto.

Even her 6HK (hold), 6LK, and 6MK force her to commit.
then use 6 Medium punch. She has multiple, great verstaile normals to help close the grap between her and a spacing opponent.
A faster walk speed would have helped her tremendously in approaching.
Yeah and so would a fireball.

And she has trouble with anyone with a degree of zoning. Ryu, Balrog, Guile, Sagat, Akuma, Blanka, etc.
Oh no, a charecter who has a weakness. Sorry she ain't shoto. Deal with it. You can get in unharmed if you are just patient enough to do so.

DC

Smash Cadet
Why are links so ****ing unforgiving in this game?

Anyways I'm not familiar with this games' combo labeling but Sakura's jump medium kick > heavy punch > EX tatsu (w/e hers is called) > anti air shinku hadoken does like 50% on characters with average health lol

I used to be in love with her Sakura Beat Down (ultra 1) but Shinku Hadoken is too good

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If I can pick up a copy, I'll get into this seriously.

That being said, I main Vega as it is. I am happy about the new Bloody High Claw.

DC

Smash Cadet
Playing this game for a few more hours... IT STILL SUCKS.

No combos allowed. :(

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

Sorry that you would rather watch a game than play a game. Combos ain't ****. Its just someone hitting an opponent with a set button sequence, and the other player watching it. Learn to reset and mixup.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
Except Makoto isn't that bad, and isn't true rushdown. You're playing her wrong. Don't play her like Abel, don't play her rushdown. She wasn't even really rushdown in 3rd strike ya know, just a bunch of gimicks revolving around Karakusa. Makoto has arguably the best normals in the game. If you are whinning because you can't land Karakusa, because your specials are safe on block, you're playing her wrong. You should be hanging just at the tip of the air kick range. Your normals can anti-air at any angle, and your standing medium punch flat out beats cross ups. Your command normals and backdash make your walking speed irrelevant.

Everyone is assuming that because an offense charcter can't play dumb as hell and spam their specials then they are worthless. Its stupid as hell.
...hmmm, well, Makoto was extremely offensive in SF3. she focused on getting an opening to rush and use Karakusa, then continued to pressure you more with cr.lk into lp Hayate and other things to get you blocking so she could Karakusa you again. and, she had great normals in SF3, but her SF4 version leaves MUCH to be desired. Standing MP does not flat out beat good crossups, and gets stuffed a good bit, and all her command normals force her to commit to forward motion and huge startups, usually rewarding her with a punch to the face. it's sad, as i am a Makoto fan... :(

Oh man. How much've you been trainin up on Ibuki? I wanna play that, s*** sounds like a mindf*** and a half.

I mean, i remember wanting to throw **** over playing your **** Anji, and that dude could do like, THREE THINGS. :laugh::laugh:
haha, man, i miss playing Anji. GGXX was too good. but, i haven't had a chance to train Ibuki because I don't have the game yet. i've just been in the Lab a bit with Jason and the EP crew. she's pretty cool, and thankfully, much improved from her suck-*** SF3 version.

It's pretty much vanilla SF IV with less damage on a couple of things. All the hype for change was just a placebo :(

Oh, and GA Peach, whenever I try to add you, I get a message saying your account doesn't exist :/
oh, i saw that you said you were adding people on Live, which i assume is X-Box Live. I'm on PSN, bro. sorry... :(

I meant to say NOT safe on block. Hayate shouldn't be safe on block, and you shouldn't use it outside of combos.

Then Kara it. Have a nice day.

She has a good overhead already.

Welcome to have the cast.

[quote[Dash speed doesn't mean a thing when you're forced to commit to that lag and get hit by just about anything.
then your dashing at the wrong time. Dashing is NOT an approach method with Makoto.

Even her 6HK (hold), 6LK, and 6MK force her to commit.
then use 6 Medium punch. She has multiple, great verstaile normals to help close the grap between her and a spacing opponent.

Yeah and so would a fireball.

Oh no, a charecter who has a weakness. Sorry she ain't shoto. Deal with it. You can get in unharmed if you are just patient enough to do so.
this is kind of a long read, i guess, but informative, i think.

well, first off, the kara-Karakusa doesn't add very much range to it in SF4, especially when compared to SF3 kara-Karakusa. but, on top of that, as if the lack of distance wasn't enough of a problem, Karakusa is an extremely slow move. the fastest Karakusa, LK version, comes out in 7 frames. a normal grab comes out in 3, and most people's jabs are 3-4 frames. combine this with her lackluster normals, and Makoto has no real way to stop people from just jabbing and crouch OSing her all day. she has a ridiculously bad overhead that is slow and has short range, so no dice there. you see, when you have a command grab, like Zangief's or T. Hawk's, they are good because of their immense range, the fact that they have normals to make you stop jabbing, and their command grabs come out faster than a normal grab (1-2 frames). on the other hand, you have Abel, who has a slower command grab like Makoto, but he is grab invulnerable during normal, and hit invulnerable during the EX. Makoto can be grabbed and hit out of every version of Karakusa. hell, people have trouble landing Honda's Ohicho Throw, and that **** is 5 frames, so imagine the problems Makoto has.

and, it may be true that quite a few characters are bad on wakeup, but Makoto is in the unique position of being a character that wants to be next to you, but if put her at any kind of frame disadvantage or knock her down, she has a slew of problems. her normals are slow, and bad on block. her specials are slow, and ridiculously bad on block, so Makoto is VERY susceptible to being baited on wakeup.

and, the way the character is built, dashing was her best way to get in on someone in SF3, as she was a character that relied HEAVILY on the Parry system to be effective. The main problem with her is that SF4 doesn't really allow for characters to be straight-forward, dash up and start and offense characters to be very good, which is the original design of Makoto. Characters with a strong mid-range game, like DeeJay or Chun-Li destroy her for that sole reason; she can't get in reliably. Hell, Chun-Li destroyed her in SF3 for the same reason, but the Parry system salvaged the matchup some to the point where if Makoto could read a poke, she was automatically in. you could say the same thing about focus, but it is not nearly as effective as Parry. fireballs and good, mid range normals have always been a weakness of her character design, but SF3 gave her an option around those if she was sharp-eyed.

DC

Smash Cadet
Why reset and mixup if I can just spam hadokens from across the screen?

Games like GG/BB/MB have resets and mixup so that argument is invalid.

EDIT: Wow I just found a fun character.

God ****. Didn't want to play this character...

But so... noob.. friendly...

DC

Smash Cadet
Just wait. I've found the Noel equivalent character in this game.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You found Anji?
oh wait wrong game.
I don't know, suonds to me like taht would be Sakura, but mostly because I'm comparing Noel's drive attack to Sakuras anti-fireball options. If not that, I'm guessing your saying Juri and doing stuff that probably doesn't even work.

DC

Smash Cadet
Anji? You mean Sion Atlasia? lol

Anyways, I just finished all this character's trials. If those aren't true combos then w/e. Easiest character ever.

I'd assume the trial combos are just basic stuff so brb going on SRK.

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
If you think this game is noob friendly play me...xbox live name is Prawr.... I main abel. If you honestly think you can just spam hadoukens in this game then you havent...well..played this game..just need to actually learn the mechanics before you judge a game.

DC

Smash Cadet
If you think this game is noob friendly play me...xbox live name is Prawr.... I main abel. If you honestly think you can just spam hadoukens in this game then you havent...well..played this game..just need to actually learn the mechanics before you judge a game.
I like how you didn't read my post at all.

EDIT: Just won my first round (not a match, a round lol) and got my first legit combo into ultra.

So much fun. :3

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
how'd the **** my name get thrown in here? XD

On a side note, i just got my sakura B rank. Right now im like, the 13th best scrub slayin sakura on XBL.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Played Sabin (yeah the Dhalsim player) today. Played his seth. **** was stupid. I styled on him for 1 round. He styled on me for 1 set. My **** was like "ahh" his **** was like "OOHHWWEE N***A U TRASH"

DC

Smash Cadet
yeah

Workin on muscle memorizing dem combos.

But NOT because I like the game; simply because I like my character.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Makoto makes me so happy...little girls chokin *****s, going kao ken, and punching crotches so hard it creates wind tunnels

i wish i played 3S cause shes brand new to me and i suck with her so far :laugh:

Edit:
XBL: GameDragoonX
Main: Viper
Secondary: Makoto (might make her main, dunno yet)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just found this thread.

I'm really happy with Super even if my main, El Fuerte didn't get some buffs that I would've liked, but this game is such a big improvement over SFIV.

XBL: KumaOso
Main: El Fuerte
Seconday: Ibuki (On the Scene!)

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman

Why reset and mixup if I can just spam hadokens from across the screen?

Games like GG/BB/MB have resets and mixup so that argument is invalid.

EDIT: Wow I just found a fun character.

God ****. Didn't want to play this character...

But so... noob.. friendly...
You're judging the game right off...so...obviously you didn't read what i said? so once again....don't judge something before you actually take it in.

And if you were talking about a seperate game you shouldve stated rather than making 40 posts about your first hour experience in SSF4.

- This is the reason why i dont go on smashboards anymore.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know if there's usually a certain amount of time before muscle memory 'kicks in?'

bc i feel it on some moves, haha, though not near perfected.

anyone recommend some tutorial vids, especially ones with commentary or text?

hey, Zero, good luck in that SSF4 tournament, youve been training so hard man, if you dont bring this shiz home...lol, youre still paying me back.

:laugh:

i am not ready for a tournament, i need to practice more XD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*looks at topic*

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1GQ00ZBdyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1GQ00ZBdyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Ya mean this? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

GA Peach

Smash Lord
You're judging the game right off...so...obviously you didn't read what i said? so once again....don't judge something before you actually take it in.

And if you were talking about a seperate game you shouldve stated rather than making 40 posts about your first hour experience in SSF4.

- This is the reason why i dont go on smashboards anymore.
haha, i feel you on that, man. it especially hits home with the guy you quoted...

does anyone know if there's usually a certain amount of time before muscle memory 'kicks in?'

bc i feel it on some moves, haha, though not near perfected.

anyone recommend some tutorial vids, especially ones with commentary or text?

hey, Zero, good luck in that SSF4 tournament, youve been training so hard man, if you dont bring this shiz home...lol, youre still paying me back.

:laugh:

i am not ready for a tournament, i need to practice more XD

muscle memory happens at different times for everyone, and oddly, some motions and actions get ingrained into muscle memory easier than others for people. the best thing i can tell you is to do constant repetition for whatever it is you're trying to ingrain into muscle memory. you'll get it, man.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
thanks Dogy, maybe one with player commentary to help a scrubette out?

GA--im trying to get supers down, thanks.

the guys left the 360 for me to practice, i decided to play like this...

Main: RYU--spam hadouken

JK

i am picking up Ryu though :)

Veggi

Smash Champion
Excuse me for asking a dumb question, but in BlazBlue I can do 5 move combos with Tager (I'm not impressed with it, I know I suck. I just have to use it as an example,) but in Street Fighter IV I tried going into the trial mode thing where it teaches you combos and I can't even do hp>change of direction with Abel. It really bothers me a lot. Is the buffer timing a lot different between the two games?

Sorry, again. I just feel the need to get this answered.

Top Bottom