• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
for the goku sprites, you should switch them to the sprites from that shonen jump crossover game. i forgot its name!
and for the ryu sprites, try the namco x capcom ryu
:p

the game is jump ultimate stars or somethin like that.
Switching sprites is not as easy as it sounds, TBH. We've been receiving quite a few complaints about Goku's sprites not fitting, but I'm not sure if it's worth using lower-resolution sprites, making new animations, and repositioning the hitboxes just so that his style will fit better with the other characters. I don't know...

4nace

Smash Ace
Yessss... do itt. Its not like you're drawing the sprites or animations. His pixels are like half the size of everyone else's! Keep the style consistent please.

EDIT: PS, im still working on some Wolf Sprites, but they are taking a super long time just to get some outlines done and Im doing yoyogames competition so thats taking most of my sprite time. =(. I'll post what I have soon, when I can get atleast a standing animation done.

-Dan

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Yessss... do itt. Its not like you're drawing the sprites or animations. His pixels are like half the size of everyone else's! Keep the style consistent please.
<sigh> I know he looks a little different, but believe me, it won't be easy to redesign his moves, especially his Final Smash, with new sprites. I don't know. Maybe we should have a vote? :)

EDIT: PS, im still working on some Wolf Sprites, but they are taking a super long time just to get some outlines done and Im doing yoyogames competition so thats taking most of my sprite time. =(. I'll post what I have soon, when I can get atleast a standing animation done.

-Dan
Sounds good. At least you are putting some work into this! Thanks.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Glitch alert!

In the most recent demo version of SSBC, two tiny glitches existed with rolling.
1) You can roll again by abusing the IASA frames at the end of a roll even if the shield key is not pressed. This can be repeated several times! (You can't be completely invincible though, as the first two frames and last 9 frames of a roll are still tangible collision.)
2) You can also perform a forward tilt while rolling without entering the animation for forward tilt! It's tricky, but doable.
Both these glitches have been fixed, so have fun abusing them for now. :laugh:

Shonrrati

Smash Cadet
using "controlmk" I made 2 profiles for this game to correctly work with the xbox 360 controller for 1st and 2nd player. If anyone wants It I will post the profile saves so you guys can use it to, Just gotta wait till after the weekend. Also I was wondering if it would be possible to maybe use Hamachi to enable some type of multiplayer. Just a suggestion :)

Falcon88

Smash Ace
using "controlmk" I made 2 profiles for this game to correctly work with the xbox 360 controller for 1st and 2nd player. If anyone wants It I will post the profile saves so you guys can use it to, Just gotta wait till after the weekend. Also I was wondering if it would be possible to maybe use Hamachi to enable some type of multiplayer. Just a suggestion :)
Thanks for the controlmk profiles! But, I did some reading on this Hamachi thing and it sounds very unsafe. I know it can be safe if used correctly, but you have to consider that some people who play this game aren't familiar with network technology.

Shonrrati

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the controlmk profiles! But, I did some reading on this Hamachi thing and it sounds very unsafe. I know it can be safe if used correctly, but you have to consider that some people who play this game aren't familiar with network technology.
What I mean is using hamachi to connect to close friends, irl. Hamachi only becomes dangerous if used to connect to random unknown servers. Me and my buddies have been using it for halo for over a year. Also I'll be sure to post those profiles asap, which will probably be Sunday.

Also, I'd love to see Viewtiful Joe and Travis Touchdown in this game :chuckle:

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Just for an update guys, Tails in currently under construction and is, I'd say, 65% done for moveset, etc. and 100% done for spriting. I've also redone the way you assign hit stun values to hit boxes. This makes it easier for me to tweak hit stun values if I feel the need to. I also fixed a glitch with the new control scheme that made it harder to use Up Smash with the default buttons. Now it's fine again!

Hoping to get lots of characters done soon! :)

Lucario1337

Smash Journeyman
How about Krystal from the starfox games? Im guessing she could use her staff to attack or something.
And what about robotnik?
So we can do Mario&Sonic vs Bowser&Robotnik

Falcon88

Smash Ace
How about Krystal from the starfox games? Im guessing she could use her staff to attack or something.
And what about robotnik?
Good ideas. :) Can't tell you whether those guys will be in the game, so I'll leave it at that.
And yes, Mario & Sonic vs. Bowser & Robotnik (or Dr. Eggman, or whatever) would be epic!

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
This post is too short. Be glad no mods are posting here right now. :ohwell:

And what about robotnik?
I like your idea for Krystal! But I can't tell whether these characters will be in or not, either. This game will have several Sonic representatives, of course. Expect the ones that are most well-known.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. Tails is done! Seems to be pretty good, too. His Final Smash is Mech Walker! Hopefully I'll have screenshots of it up sooner or later. But, it's more or less like a lite version of Landmaster.

Tails also has a hovering ability much like Peach. Hold the jump button after his second jump to start hovering! You can do some of his aerials while hovering, but the others will make him stop hovering because he puts down his tails.

Also, fixed a glitch at Saffron City where you could walk through the floor on the main building if you aimed right. :0

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Chargeable Smashes!

New Development!
Now, SSBC has a feature some of you noticed was absent in the demo: Chargeable Smash Attacks!

You may charge Smashes by holding 'A' or the Smash button if applicable at the beginning of any Smash Attack. Release the button to continue with the supercharged attack!

Most attacks will get a 6-7% boost when fully charged. There is also a noticeable increase in knockback. The amounts added vary with the attacks, of course.

Here are a few sample damage ranges (uncharged-fully charged):
Mario Side Smash Sweetspot: 17-24%
Link Side Smash hit 1: 15-21%
Link Side Smash hit 2: 18-25%
Fox Down Smash front hit: 14-19%
Snake Side Smash: 22-31%
Mewtwo Up Smash: 15-21%

So, you get the idea. I hope you guys are glad I added in this feature. The game feels more complete now. :)

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Just wanted to mention that
over 1000 people have tried the new Super Smash Bros Crusade!

I consider this a small victory - now more people know about the game and hopefully, they realize we are serious about it.

The problem is, development always slows down a lot during the school year since I am still in college and the other guys working on the project are also in school. The main problem that slows us down is how long the sprites and animations take to make. So,
if anyone wants to help us out, please do!

Here are some characters we're making soon (who don't have animations):
Captain Falcon
Donkey Kong (we are not using KoS style if we can help it)
Diddy Kong
Zelda/Sheik
Ike
Marth

and the list continues... If you want your name in the credits of this game, submit a sprite sheet!

And by the way, thanks to our current sprite contributors on Smashboards (even if we don't have your sheet yet).

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Can't you just link to the patched demo instead of both the demo and the patch?

xxFrohawkxx

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys ever heard of super smash bros. flash? It's kinda like the same thing with this game.
I just hope this game has a better fighting system and not glitchy.

I seriosly want to play this =D

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys ever heard of super smash bros. flash? It's kinda like the same thing with this game.
I just hope this game has a better fighting system and not glitchy.

I seriosly want to play this =D
We've heard about Super Smash Flash when we first started the project. We hope not to begin a fan game battle and keep things clean between the two.

You need to play this. :chuckle:

Jeps

Smash Cadet
Someone needs to hack SSBCrusade's combo system into Brawl :) (It's much better than waiting for a stupid smash ball) Btw this game makes SSF2 look like Superman 64 :p

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Can't you just link to the patched demo instead of both the demo and the patch?
I will update the whole thing soon. :) Can you wait till then? I will have a couple new characters and bug fixes.

Someone needs to hack SSBCrusade's combo system into Brawl :) (It's much better than waiting for a stupid smash ball) Btw this game makes SSF2 look like Superman 64 :p
Thanks. :)

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Screenshots for You!

Got a couple new characters in, updated hit sparks, etc. so I figured some screenshots might be entertaining.

Here's Tails! He's stomping around in the Mech Walker, his Final Smash. You can also fire semi-homing energy shots from the cannon on the back.

Here's Meta Knight's Galaxia Darkness in action. If your enemies get slashed in the darkness, it looks something like this. This move now has slightly more knock-back than in SSBB, relatively.

The next two shots are mainly to show off the new-ish hit effects. I looked more closely at Brawl's and redesigned a little.

I'm currently working on Luigi, and it's going... slowly. I've been thinking a lot about his FS... wondering if we should keep the Negative Zone or do something less weird.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
As far as Luigi's FS goes, I'm sure people will probably suggest something involving the Poltergust. The best place to look for sprites and ideas would easily be Mario&Luigi: SuperStar Saga and see Professor Egad's sprites using it. One idea would be for Luigi to ride the rocket version of it and ... do things of some sort.
Luigi hasn't quite built a trademark/signature move to really work with (which is also why I don't understand Nintendo in giving Mario the FS he got; SSF2's Final Form idea for him is really cool).

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
looks promising if i may suggest will geno and mallow from SMRPG legend of the seven stars be playable in this?

also for lugi's final smash or proffesur E. Gadd's (another character i suggest) as for E.Gadd he could turn the poltergist 3000 into a rocket and you can make him hit people with it ...u could make lugi use the poltergeist 3000 with all 3 elements fire,ice and water.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
As far as Luigi's FS goes, I'm sure people will probably suggest something involving the Poltergust. The best place to look for sprites and ideas would easily be Mario&Luigi: SuperStar Saga and see Professor Egad's sprites using it. One idea would be for Luigi to ride the rocket version of it and ... do things of some sort.
Luigi hasn't quite built a trademark/signature move to really work with (which is also why I don't understand Nintendo in giving Mario the FS he got; SSF2's Final Form idea for him is really cool).
I like the idea f the Poltergust 3000 rocket. That would be awesome! Just fly around on it and ram people/shoot fireballs at them/spin attack them. Hmm, that sounds an awful lot like Yoshi's FS though... Maybe I'm being too picky.

Another idea that crossed my mind was turning on the Poltergust backwards and releasing all the ghosts in it to attack other players! Of course, Luigi would be frozen in fear if he got too near one of the spooks, but it would make things more interesting.

And then, of course, there's Negative Zone, which I actually can implement fairly simply. I know now how to draw a circle that inverts everything behind it. I know how to inflict status ailments on players instantly (eg. Mewtwo's Down B). That would be no problem, either.

However, it is kinda weird. It's a real stretch from the whole Minus World thing. Kinda like those Turbotax commercials. "Like GPS? Well, you'll love Turbotax!" Yeah, what a stretch. Just like this. "Hmm... minus. Minus means negative! Negative means bad things happen! World... hmmm. World = Zone! Presto! Negative Zone! Bad things happen in it!" :dizzy:

I think releasing the herd of ghosts on people would be hilarious, a little on the gimmicky side, and really easy to implement. The Poltergust Rocket 4000 (I'm naming it that, shut up ;)) would be awesome, but like I said, just like Yoshi's FS. I could up the coolness factor on it and probably get away with it. But you never know.

If you guys have any more ideas or would like to put some sugar in the coffee that is the ideas we already have (lol Fawful), your input is valuable.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Well, I listened to you all, and I remade the jabs in the game so that you can each hit separately, and it was worth it! There have also been tons of other updates including sound effects, graphics, and launch physics. Still polishing things up before an update. Expect an update sometime next week for download.

The main purpose of this update is to demonstrate this game for spriters.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Here's a crazy idea for a Luigi final smash: temporarily generate clones of his opponents that are invincible and operate at the highest CPU AI level. Each clone will target their original and attack them, forcing everyone besides Luigi to go on the defensive. This final smash would represent Luigi's constant inferiority complex regarding Mario, his more competent twin brother, and would force everyone else to face a similarly competent "sibling" of their own.

...Or is that too meta?

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Here's a crazy idea for a Luigi final smash: temporarily generate clones of his opponents that are invincible and operate at the highest CPU AI level. Each clone will target their original and attack them, forcing everyone besides Luigi to go on the defensive. This final smash would represent Luigi's constant inferiority complex regarding Mario, his more competent twin brother, and would force everyone else to face a similarly competent "sibling" of their own.

...Or is that too meta?
That's pretty much the coolest idea for a Final Smash I have ever heard! However, in practice it may hard to pull off... Or not. I think creating the doppelgangers should be easy enough, but we'll be throwing balance out the window. Ah well! Maybe I'll experiment with this idea.

The current Final Smash is the Element Medals from Luigi's Mansion. These are power ups that allowed Luigi to spray Fire, Water, and Ice from the Poltergust. Each one has a different effect - Fire does damage and horizontal knockback, ice does freezing damage and vertical knockback, and water pushes enemies around. The three elements cycle when the user presses the attack button, and Luigi shoots with the Special button. Luigi may walk around and has two jumps at a time while using the Poltergust.

However, I think your idea is very original! I might try it and see how it works.

So who all will be in the next demo? :p can't wait to see how it compares to the last.
So far, I've added three characters since version 0.1.1 was released (that's the one with Mewtwo). The newcomers are Luigi, Meta Knight, and Tails. I might be able to add another stage, but it may take a day or two longer if I choose to. So far, I haven't made any new maps. I've been lazy in that area :p But there are also other new features:

- As you may know, some of the character voices in Brawl are not used. These voices inclde ones that sound like "Oh-wah!" and "Aieee!" for Mario, as if they are heavily damaged voices. My theory is that characters said these voices when hit hard.
Well, I put those voices to use in SSBC. Just like in Melee, when you get launched really hard, your character says one of these voices. You also get a sound effect reminiscent of Melee's launching sound.
- I have also redone the launching physics,
- many character sounds,
- some sprites,
- and added the Character Size setting in VS Settings.
So, while it's not heavy on new characters, it fixes a lot of bugs and improves what was already in the first demo, but I still found time to make three more characters. :)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Sounds awesome. I think an update that improves the engine is far more useful than one that adds a lot of characters. If you get to completing the engine, you can do almost anything with characters, settings, modes, etc.

Great to see that the "heavy hit" sounds are in! Something that bothered me in Brawl was the lack of really SMAAAAASHING!! your opponent.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Sounds awesome. I think an update that improves the engine is far more useful than one that adds a lot of characters. If you get to completing the engine, you can do almost anything with characters, settings, modes, etc.

Great to see that the "heavy hit" sounds are in! Something that bothered me in Brawl was the lack of really SMAAAAASHING!! your opponent.
Yeah, you know, I did miss that about Brawl. I might try to implement some crowd cheering before I update as well, since I am a slacker and I have been procrastinating that. If I can get it in semi-operative order, expect to have publicity in the next update. If not, I'll just cut it out.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Actually, I think the crowd adds a neat dynamic to the battle. The crowds in both Melee and 64 were the best. I'd even go one notch further and make it so matches end by saying "GAME SET!"
Programming the crowd seems a bit difficult though, at a glance. If you don't find any success and at least want to release the demo with the other changes, that's perfectly fine.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
That's pretty much the coolest idea for a Final Smash I have ever heard! However, in practice it may hard to pull off... Or not. I think creating the doppelgangers should be easy enough, but we'll be throwing balance out the window. Ah well! Maybe I'll experiment with this idea.

The current Final Smash is the Element Medals from Luigi's Mansion. These are power ups that allowed Luigi to spray Fire, Water, and Ice from the Poltergust. Each one has a different effect - Fire does damage and horizontal knockback, ice does freezing damage and vertical knockback, and water pushes enemies around. The three elements cycle when the user presses the attack button, and Luigi shoots with the Special button. Luigi may walk around and has two jumps at a time while using the Poltergust.

However, I think your idea is very original! I might try it and see how it works.
There are multiple ways to balance it. Reduce the amount of time the clones appear on the battlefield, have the clones take damage but not flinch (and enough accumulated damage makes them disappear), make the clones only able to use a single type of attack, etc.

I like the Poltergust idea though.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Okay, Stoney. Duly noted. I've been busy trying to fix up the collision detection with solid surfaces (yuck), so I'll play around with it.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
If you don't want to give up on the Poltergust, you can always give the Clone Creation FS to Mewtwo. It would be appropriate for him as well.
Hey, that would be more original. We could call it by a Pokemon move name, like Double Team, or Psych Up. I'll try it! Plus, his current FS is, admittedly, kinda plain.

mariokirbyssbb

Smash Rookie
I know I'm A noob but whoa, 15 pages of flaming and put downs and all that crap, 15!!!
I'm just glad this is going well, Anyways, do you have any expected release date for the next demo?

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm A noob but whoa, 15 pages of flaming and put downs and all that crap, 15!!!
I'm just glad this is going well, Anyways, do you have any expected release date for the next demo?
Not yet. However, we are expecting a couple of months (middle of this year or even next year) for its release. It may come quicker if our development team grows. Let's hope! ;)

Top Bottom