• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Can I get the game maker file for this? I feel like I could really learn a lot from it.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
If Lucario an Ness are going to be in it, I'll try it.

But one thing.. The Character select screen is.. Really ugly. I'm sorry. Work on it a bit. Also the character portraits don't all conform to the same style, but I'm guess that'll be fixed.

With that said, I can't get past the character select for some reason. It wont let me pick a character at all.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Can I get the game maker file for this? I feel like I could really learn a lot from it.
Ummm, not right now. When the game is totally finished, we might release the GMK.

If Lucario an Ness are going to be in it, I'll try it.

But one thing.. The Character select screen is.. Really ugly. I'm sorry. Work on it a bit. Also the character portraits don't all conform to the same style, but I'm guess that'll be fixed.

With that said, I can't get past the character select for some reason. It wont let me pick a character at all.
Okay, style point noted. I'll see if I can't talk some sense into the 'artists'. What style do you think works best? What don't you like? Specificity is necessary if you want something changed.

Also, I'm working on getting the menu controls to be the same as the customizable battle controls, so hang in there. For now, you can try using the game's default controls, which may be found in the Help (press F1 during the game).

By the way, this is a good time for me to reiterate that there are only 3 people actively working on the game. We've gotten some volunteers, but on the whole, they haven't done much aside from the testing of the game, which is helpful, of course, but it isn't the same as getting us sprite sheets and art. So, if you think the art for the game needs help, please, give it your best shot. Either draw something yourself, or if you have a friend who can help, let them look at the game and see if they are interested. Thanks.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
How do you guys work as a team using game maker? I've tried it before but the merge feature in game maker blows and makes it even more complicated. And why not release the gmk?

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Well, honestly, for a 2d game I think the cartoony art style like you have with the sprites works really well for portraits.

The player cards need something to look a bit less blank. I think a pattern of thin horizontal lines of slightly different shades is all it would take to fix that. Finally, the globe in the background should be a little more subdued. It stands out a bit too much.

Also, what parts of this project will be 3d? I see a modeler in the team.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
How do you guys work as a team using game maker? I've tried it before but the merge feature in game maker blows and makes it even more complicated. And why not release the gmk?
Well, here's how it works. I program the game engine, and the other guys do other things. We don't merge the games. The purpose of merging games for our game is only to add new features because of the way merging works. For example, that's how we got the FMOD sound system to work initially.

Why not release it yet? Well, it has taken us over 9 months to get where we are. Someone downloads the engine and gets where we are in less than 10 minutes. The planning alone for the new engine took at least two weeks. So, I'd like the game to become more well-known before letting people download the GMK. Even then, I plan on making it available with maybe three or four sample characters and two or three stages, not the whole game.

Well, honestly, for a 2d game I think the cartoony art style like you have with the sprites works really well for portraits.

The player cards need something to look a bit less blank. I think a pattern of thin horizontal lines of slightly different shades is all it would take to fix that. Finally, the globe in the background should be a little more subdued. It stands out a bit too much.

Also, what parts of this project will be 3d? I see a modeler in the team.
We might be having some 3D stage backgrounds. We'll toy with that idea.

And, I'll see if I can't make the CSS look better.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Are some of these stages and sprites from SSF2? I think I recognise them from there.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Are some of these stages and sprites from SSF2? I think I recognise them from there.
Yes, some of them are, and some of the SSF2 sprites we are using are old and no longer being used by them, for example, Fox. Don't worry, we give full credit to the spriters in the help file that you may access during gameplay by pressing F1.

borack6

Smash Cadet
Pure Awesomeness

Hey there Crusade Team,

I really have to say, this game you guys made is outa this world, i've never
played a fangame before that has such a good feel to it.
The Engine is simply awesome, the cast so far is well chosen and the rest is just great!

I actualy played Crusade about a year ago,
I enjoyed it, however it felt kinda strange,

I was actualy alot on the Mcleodgaming boards lately, waiting for the ssf2 demo v0.6 to come out, was kinda bored so i thought... hmmm i wonder if that crusade game got any updates, and now i'm just stunned, even my steph bro thinks it's cool and he isn't easily impressed, not only is this game most likely the best fangame up till now, but it's also actualy being updated, unlike Runeuw's Brawl engine >.> and other small fangames.

A small letdown has got to be Ness not being there anymore,
however i'm hoping for some updates =D if you want i can spread the word, because this game definetly deserves a higher fanbase than it has now.

I'm not a spriter of any sort and know nothing about coding, programming and that kind of stuff, so i can't help you with that, i will however wish to support this game in any other way ^w^

Good luck on the game.

Sorry for the long post

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Hey there Crusade Team,

I really have to say, this game you guys made is outa this world, i've never
played a fangame before that has such a good feel to it.
The Engine is simply awesome, the cast so far is well chosen and the rest is just great!

Sorry for the long post
Thanks, so much for playing our game! lol

Yes, Ness will be in the game, in fact, he's on my to-do list for this week. After I finish him, I should be updating. Also, Onett is a stage.

borack6

Smash Cadet
8d

Thanks, so much for playing our game! lol

Yes, Ness will be in the game, in fact, he's on my to-do list for this week. After I finish him, I should be updating. Also, Onett is a stage.
Awesome! Now i can't wait to play the next version,
Since Ness was my main in both Brawl and Melee, and i love Onett ^w^

Bynine

Smash Cadet
Wow, you're doing all of this on Game Maker? Amazing.. from the screenshots, it looks really good!

Are we allowed to make suggestions for characters?

If so, then I'd just like to petition for Black Yoshi (with exploding eggs! :D)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Promise me one thing: if this game reaches 99% completion and Nintendo hits it with a C&D order, you'll release it anyway and say screw them.

*Glares at Crimson Echoes*

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Yes, Lucas will be in the game.

Promise me one thing: if this game reaches 99% completion and Nintendo hits it with a C&D order, you'll release it anyway and say screw them.

*Glares at Crimson Echoes*
At the very least, we'll move to a different website or something. :) We'll make sure it gets out somehow.

Like I said, I'll be adding a couple characters this week, TOTALLY revamping the CSS, and uploading the new version on Friday or Saturday at the latest.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
SSF2's v.06 beta is coming within a few weeks.

I've heard about this game from those boards, but I haven't actually played it yet.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I ought to suggest aerial control (basically spacing) on aerials to SSF2. It's already exciting to hear that Falcon88 got it in here. I think I'll enjoy what each game has to offer.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Aerial Control is on the list already :V

And I have to say, you guys have really stepped up your game from when you guys first began. Lookin good.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Any chance you'll be fixing/remaking the trailer? It looks... well... bad.

Honestly, you can't make a good-quality recording of a video game with a camcorder, especially hand-held. It just doesn't work. I'd strongly recommend Fraps or something.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Any chance you'll be fixing/remaking the trailer? It looks... well... bad.

Honestly, you can't make a good-quality recording of a video game with a camcorder, especially hand-held. It just doesn't work. I'd strongly recommend Fraps or something.
Yeah, I know, and I am using CamStudio to make the trailers now. However, programs like that don't get a good frame rate while recording, and since we have Vista here, it can't record sound. That's why we used a camcorder, but we won't be doing that again. Currently, I have to run the game at half-speed to record and then speed up the video afterward to get the quality you saw in the Meta Knight video. It's really annoying. But, that's the only way I can get decent video.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'd be willing to volunteer to help in that regard if you'd like. Not sure in what capacity, but I wouldn't mind lending a hand somewhere down the line for something.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I'd be willing to volunteer to help in that regard if you'd like. Not sure in what capacity, but I wouldn't mind lending a hand somewhere down the line for something.
That's very nice of you. :) Well, I am getting ready to upload a new version this week, so after that comes out, you can help record some footage and make your own compilations or just record matches. I was hoping one day some people might do stuff like this! I'm not going to tell you what to do or anything, except make sure it makes the game look good. ;)

By the way, you have the cutest signature ever.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Yeah, I know, and I am using CamStudio to make the trailers now. However, programs like that don't get a good frame rate while recording, and since we have Vista here, it can't record sound.
Yes you can. Control Panel > Sound, click the Recording tab, right-click in the window and select "Show Disabled Devices". Stereo Mix should pop up. Click on it and hit the "Properties" button. In the new window, down where it says "Don't use this device (Disable)", click on it and change it to "Use this device (Enable)".

Ta-daaa, you can record sound now.

Also, for a good computer-recording program, try Camtasia. It comes with a free 30-day trial. I bought the full version, so I could record some stuff for you if need be.

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
This game is looking good so far but there's some bugs that could be fixed. Like when Link uses his FS on someone, the victim doesn't actually stay in the triforce if another fighter hit him (same with Goku's) and Snake's Fspecial can go through wall on hyrule castle.
Anyway decent game and I'm looking forward to the next update. ^_^

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Yes you can. Control Panel > Sound, click the Recording tab, right-click in the window and select "Show Disabled Devices". Stereo Mix should pop up. Click on it and hit the "Properties" button. In the new window, down where it says "Don't use this device (Disable)", click on it and change it to "Use this device (Enable)".

Ta-daaa, you can record sound now.

Also, for a good computer-recording program, try Camtasia. It comes with a free 30-day trial. I bought the full version, so I could record some stuff for you if need be.
Oh my gosh. I feel dumb now.

This game is looking good so far but there's some bugs that could be fixed. Like when Link uses his FS on someone, the victim doesn't actually stay in the triforce if another fighter hit him (same with Goku's) and Snake's Fspecial can go through wall on hyrule castle.
Anyway decent game and I'm looking forward to the next update. ^_^
Yeah yeah hopefully all those silly bugs have been fixed. I was in a rush to upload the first version.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
New Demo Tonight/Tomorrow

Sorry to bug you but when is the next update?
Well, you bugged me at the right time, because I'll try to start uploading it tonight, so it should available late tonight or tomorrow morning. I guess now's a good time to tell you about what will be in this version.

This update is not supposed to be a brand new demo, but there have been lots of improvements and additions! You still only have VS. mode for now, but now there are 20 characters to pick from and 7 stages! That makes 5 more characters and 1 more stage than last time.

As far as new features and improvements, we now have the custom controls functioning on the character and stage selection screens as well as in the matches. Also, the "Character Size" option has been added to the VS Settings, so you can have crazy Mega or Mini matches!

The graphics for the character select screen have been completely redone. The buttons, icons, and backgrounds have been totally redrawn, and they are now in a darker, more futuristic style. Also, the character's icons are bigger and easier to read.

As far as gameplay improvements go, there has been the addition of the audience! So the crowd will cheer and gasp according to what's going on. (We don't have the name chanting yet, but I think we'll need some volunteers to help us record those. ;)) Also, lots of the characters' sound effects have been replaced with better quality ones. And finally, you can now charge your Smash Attacks! How cool is that?

There have also been minor bug fixes and improvements to the physics in general, but these are the major new features you'll notice. I really hope this demo attracts some more players so we can spread the word about the game!

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
Well, you bugged me at the right time, because I'll try to start uploading it tonight, so it should available late tonight or tomorrow morning. I guess now's a good time to tell you about what will be in this version.

This update is not supposed to be a brand new demo, but there have been lots of improvements and additions! You still only have VS. mode for now, but now there are 20 characters to pick from and 7 stages! That makes 5 more characters and 1 more stage than last time.

As far as new features and improvements, we now have the custom controls functioning on the character and stage selection screens as well as in the matches. Also, the "Character Size" option has been added to the VS Settings, so you can have crazy Mega or Mini matches!

The graphics for the character select screen have been completely redone. The buttons, icons, and backgrounds have been totally redrawn, and they are now in a darker, more futuristic style. Also, the character's icons are bigger and easier to read.

As far as gameplay improvements go, there has been the addition of the audience! So the crowd will cheer and gasp according to what's going on. (We don't have the name chanting yet, but I think we'll need some volunteers to help us record those. ;)) Also, lots of the characters' sound effects have been replaced with better quality ones. And finally, you can now charge your Smash Attacks! How cool is that?

There have also been minor bug fixes and improvements to the physics in general, but these are the major new features you'll notice. I really hope this demo attracts some more players so we can spread the word about the game!
:bee: Awseomeness!!! Can't wait to play it!

Falcon88

Smash Ace
SSBC Ver. 0.2b available!

New Demo Available!

Click this link to download!

This is version 0.2b. There are actually now 8 stages instead of the 7 I said would be in yesterday. Also, we ran into some bugs that needed to be fixed, so we're sorry if this is later than expected.

I'll try to get all the links updated on Youtube, the OP, etc as soon as I can.

borack6

Smash Cadet
New Demo Available!

Click this link to download!

This is version 0.2b. There are actually now 8 stages instead of the 7 I said would be in yesterday. Also, we ran into some bugs that needed to be fixed, so we're sorry if this is later than expected.

I'll try to get all the links updated on Youtube, the OP, etc as soon as I can.
Awesome! i'll download it right away!

itsjenyoumen

Smash Apprentice
there might be something wrong with the link ive been trying to download it a couple of times but it keeps on stoping in between 20-30 percent and saying the file maybe corrupted

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
I managed to download the whole file (on my second try; first time I tried, the file was empty after it finished downloading), but when I opened it and extracted it, all of the PNG files inside were corrupted. This included the title screen logo and the character select screen portraits. Multiple extractions did not help; there's something wrong with the .7z file itself. I suppose I could try playing it anyway, but if the game refuses to load all of its other images than I get the feeling sprites would be no exception. Also I'd have a hard time getting past the CSS since I wouldn't know what character I was selecting.

Oh, and I had to use the Task Manager to quit the program's process since it refused to exit when I clicked the "X" on the window or used the Alt-F4 shortcut.

I'm not sure whether the corrupted .7z file I got was due to my faulty internet connection or an error made by the uploader. Perhaps compressing the file some more to reduce its file size would let people download it without their server connections timing out in the middle of the download.

Top Bottom