• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Is this the submission round or the discussion round on the general direction/Discussion on which series fits?

EDIT; My admittedly weirdly bitter and cynical takes.

Super Mario Bros.
I think that it should be Toad if we’re going for Mario. Anything too odd would be a repeat of Piranha Plant and anything too exciting would be overshadowing the game release. I think Toad sits in that nice inbetween of fan service and neat bonus. Problem is that Waluigi already has a power-up-y moveset but I’m sure we can manage that, especially if we add Captain Toad to the mix.

Previous freebies have been pretty well-known between Mewtwo and Piranha Plant, and Toad has that universal appeal that some other series listed here lack. Anything Mario is gonna be more well-known than the other series’ finest and so there’s a bit more wiggle room for “odd fighters” while still keeping a universal appeal

Paper Mario would also be good but since he’s such a big request and is from a new-ish series I’d rather save him for DLC.

Metroid
Spoiler-Man, Spoiler-Man, can do anything a spoiler can and would be a good way to give another boost the Metroid series deserves post-Dread. Really popular character too.

Otherwise, if we pull a “minion“ thing again I feel the titular Metroid is well-known and beloved enough to make it work.

F-Zero
I think Samurai Goroh as I think the sole character in the Melee intro not playable has the seniority to make himself stand out even if F Zero is not the most appealing
Problem is potentially that Takamaru and Samurai Goroh are too similar for leadership to stomach or that another sword-set would be too simplistic.

Black Shadow could work but what is Black Shadow if not Falcondorf persevering?

Yoshi
Eh, sticking weirdly close to Mario for my taste. Frontrunner Kamek is basically a Mario mook again and does Poochy have the star quality to carry a slot?

ARMS
The problem with ARMS is that it’s hard to do the ARMS mechanic again without it feeling like a retread of what Min Min did, since the ARMS thing is such a distinctive feature for Min Min in Smash that it’s hard to redo in Smash, since if you even implement the basis of ARMS again, you already have like three of Min Min’s specials shared with her.
I love Dr. Coyle and Max Brass as much as the next person but their gimmicks can’t overshadow the established basis of long reaching limbs and the oddball feature that is in Smash.

Pikmin
Just upgrade Alph. Weird series in how it‘d either be a new captain thing or a mook enemy and there’s not much inbetween and of course the new Captain situation is dicey because Alph is right there, yknow?

I do think there’s value in the various enemies and Pikmin is a booming thing between the 3 Deluxe and Bloom. Could make for a unique choice that does slightly retread on Plant’s thing but could work just the same. Plus, fighting as a crab has the sort of universal appeal needed for a bonus fighter.

This is why I’d also like to say that I prefer the bonus fighter to have an intuitive and relatively gimmickless fighting style. Everyone should be pushed to try the fighter and since there’s no pass or pack to carry the fighter, it needs to have that appeal on its own.

Star Fox
I think Slippy and Peppy would make for very fun choices, especially since I feel like we can treat them as joke fighters and sorta get away with it. Their time sadly not might not be in this set-up moveset heavy and mech-heavy game since especially Slippy would adore being the first-ish true turret fighter. The OG4 of Star Fox have amassed some gamer-wide noteriety too so even if Star Fox isn’t huge, everyone would be able to recognize Slippy or Peppy and be like “ey do a barrel roll guy’s here”

Tankman is gonna submit Andross and honestly that‘s not even a bad plan. Give him a good write-up and he’s ready to roll.

Earthbound
Porky or bust and since it’s not gonna be Porky, bust it is.

Animal Crossing
Somehow not feeling it. Maybe it’s because Isabelle was already an unnecessary redooie of Villager or because the obvious pick is Nook and he’s, well, obvious, but I don’t feel this is the series to go for. That’s very much just my gut feeling though.

Punch Out
Doc Louis or bust but I don’t feel the time is right for this series to be revisited for a character considering it’s not very current. Mr. Dream/Mr Sandman gets a pass for being based on Tyson iirc.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
We need a unique Zelda fighter that would actually make sense.

- signed, The Guardian.

Okay but for real, what if we waited to see what new Pokemon are to be added to Legends: Arceus? And then later we include content from Legends: Arceus when we learn more about it. Or does that feel more like DLC material? Because that would mean we couldn't add a Hisuian stage.

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I think King Bob-Omb could be a good choice
B273DD29-BE0B-4186-A734-1D648AAFD6FC.png

• Mario character
• under radar pick (I don’t even think he had a Ultimate support thread)
• recognizable
• reoccuring (especially recently)
• villain

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Discussion. We're talking about who should be the Piranha Plant of Infinite.
Ok well I edited my post with an overall view

We need a unique Zelda fighter that would actually make sense.

- signed, The Guardian.

Okay but for real, what if we waited to see what new Pokemon are to be added to Legends: Arceus? And then later we include content from Legends: Arceus when we learn more about it. Or does that feel more like DLC material? Because that would mean we couldn't add a Hisuian stage.
Guardian is one of the few characters that can be a blatant copy of Plant’s generic mook gimmick and get away with it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Currently the candidates I'm fixated on are:

• Master Belch
A memorable, marketable character from the Mother franchise who is often a face for it like Mr. Saturn is. Provides a good gross-out gimmick and would be appealing to even non-fans of Mother on virtue of being well, living puke. A liquid fighter could be extremely fun. The only downside I really see is the inability to give Belch a stage, which would otherwise probably be the best way to represent Mother's darker side (without delving into the stuff that'd be kinda disrespectful to include)
  • Crazy Redd
It'd be fun to make a completely original moveset for a con artist character, plus he is well known enough to encourage early purchases.
  • Blue Shell
A way to one-up the absurdity of PP, while also providing an equally unique (if not more) body shape to PP thanks to spikes and wings. Extremely iconic object who has sold pre-orders in the past and many people would want to play as even if just for novelty value
  • Sports Daisy
A reverse Dr. Mario if you will, a unique movesetted Daisy would be really fun and could convince a lot of people to buy early - though I have concerns from a moral standpoint over letting people pay for a more unique variant of a character already in the game
  • Glass Joe and King Hippo
Iconic characters with unique moveset potential. Not much I can say about one that doesn't apply to the other, but they absolutely can be more than clones. Undeniably popular enough to sell a few early copies though, at least for the NES generation.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Glass Joe and King Hippo
Iconic characters with unique moveset potential. Not much I can say about one that doesn't apply to the other, but they absolutely can be more than clones. Undeniably popular enough to sell a few early copies though, at least for the NES generation.
DIHSO returns!

Also Glass Joe as a bonus fighter would bring an undeniable joke character into Smash which I think would be really cool to have as a fighting game trope.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
DIHSO returns!

Also Glass Joe as a bonus fighter would bring an undeniable joke character into Smash which I think would be really cool to have as a fighting game trope.
I was imagining Glass Joe as more SSBU Pichu than SSBM Pichu, but maybe instead of damaging himself he has extremely weak power but shines in every other regard. A character who, if you confuse "powerful character" for "good character", is sure to cause rage.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I was imagining Glass Joe as more SSBU Pichu than SSBM Pichu, but maybe instead of damaging himself he has extremely weak power but shines in every other regard. A character who, if you confuse "powerful character" for "good character", is sure to cause rage.
I think that’s a great take on a Smash fighter that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Unique without meters and bells and whistles.

Going back to DIHSO though, I feel like now is the ultimate time to add an unconventional new version of an existing character. Something like “Mario Kart” with a sprited Mario like in Mario Kart Tour could work well. Same with Metal Mario or Giga Bowser.

DA5953D2-7741-4C4B-9CDF-BBA3019CFDB2.png

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
To elaborate a little more on GJ, imagine an Up-Smash that, when fully charged, only deals 5% damage and minimal knockback... Now imagine that move charges and comes out super fast, and - should it be used when the foe is at a high enough damage to send them flying - Joe can rush extremely fast on air or land to wherever they've gone to follow it up with a nair or jab that starts and ends in the blink of an eye but only deals 1%... and then follow it up with tons of those seemingly-pitiful attacks one after the another - and when the foe gets the time to fight back, Joe can use his giant shield or deceptively heavy weight for his lanky hard-to-combo frame to brush it off like he has all 99 previous losses.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In a sentence I never thought I would say, can we give the Arwing another shot? It's actually a somewhat interesting choice. Isn't there a walking form in SF2?
For starters…

Way too big. And yeah, Ridley doesn’t apply here cause this is literally a machine that people need to ride into operate. Unless Pikmin are at the controls, it would make zero sense to include a mini-size Arwing as a character. Especially given it would literally be floating in the air which would give it an unfair advance in turns of recovery and aerial combat. Just move to the upper blast line and rain Smart Bombs. Arwing as a charqcter doesn’t make any sense logistically and mechanically.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
YEEEEHAWWWWW THE MAD TAXI FROM EARTHBOUND GETS FURIOUS!!!

Clay_madtaxi.jpg

Too outlandish? Okay I'll be serious again.

I think the prospect of another Zelda character should be on the table. It's been so long since the last unique Zelda newcomer which was Sheik and Zelda. The other fighters were two Link variants and Ganon who was a Falcon clone (tbf we rectified that.) So after waiting so long for a new Zelda character, out of the many fan favourite possibilities such as one of the four relevant and iconic champions, a popular villain in Skull Kid, an important character in Impa, the first new unique Zelda newcomer is- Marin, a character whose only relevancy is a remake with absolutely no popularity backing them, letalone no real importance to the grand Zelda mythos. Not a great new entrance for the Zelda franchise.

No matter how many people tell me Marin would make for a great inclusion, this doesn't feel like a celebratory inclusion. I know Nintendo makes some weird decisions like adding a Piranha Plant to the game but if we were to transcribe that to Zelda, the generic mook rep would probably be a Bokoblin or a Guardian.

My earnest plee is to give Zelda fans a fan favourite character in this alternate timeline. I don't usually like to act like I know who is popular and who isn't but I think Zelda fans could really use a big hitter like Skull Kid, one of the champions or Midna or whoever. SourceGaming enacted one of the largest Smash polls of all time and while polls aren't indiciative of a whole audience and this one was western based, it's apparent to see who Zelda fans want.

Besides, I think Zelda is big enough for three fighters if Fire Emblem can have three in Smash 4 (two unique fighters, one echo, just like Zelda would have with my proposal.

9 fighters does sound a lot but if they're unique and visually distinct, I think there is merit in having more Zelda rep.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
For starters…

Way too big. And yeah, Ridley doesn’t apply here cause this is literally a machine that people need to ride into operate. Unless Pikmin are at the controls, it would make zero sense to include a mini-size Arwing as a character. Especially given it would literally be floating in the air which would give it an unfair advance in turns of recovery and aerial combat. Just move to the upper blast line and rain Smart Bombs. Arwing as a charqcter doesn’t make any sense logistically and mechanically.
Cherry-picking much?

We wouldn't even say who the pilot is, just "Arwing", so the logistics shouldn't matter either way - this is a game where god-slayers can be defeated by a post-pubescant girl who likes playing with water guns, logic is irrelevant.

Anyway, just because it flies doesn't mean it can't have regular jumping. Your "unfair advantage" argument applies just as well to Bowser Jr., Funny Pignas Man, and almost any of the winged or psychic characters.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

View attachment 338648

I think the prospect of another Zelda character should be on the table. It's been so long since the last unique Zelda newcomer which was Sheik and Zelda. The other fighters were two Link variants and Ganon who was a Falcon clone (tbf we rectified that.) So after waiting so long for a new Zelda character, out of the many fan favourite possibilities such as one of the four relevant and iconic champions, a popular villain in Skull Kid, an important character in Impa, the first new unique Zelda newcomer is- Marin, a character whose only relevancy is a remake with absolutely no popularity backing them, letalone no real importance to the grand Zelda mythos. Not a great new entrance for the Zelda franchise.

No matter how many people tell me Marin would make for a great inclusion, this doesn't feel like a celebratory inclusion. I know Nintendo makes some weird decisions like adding a Piranha Plant to the game but if we were to transcribe that to Zelda, the generic mook rep would probably be a Bokoblin or a Guardian.

My earnest plee is to give Zelda fans a fan favourite character in this alternate timeline. I don't usually like to act like I know who is popular and who isn't but I think Zelda fans could really use a big hitter like Skull Kid, one of the champions or Midna or whoever. SourceGaming enacted one of the largest Smash polls of all time and while polls aren't indiciative of a whole audience and this one was western based, it's apparent to see who Zelda fans want.

Besides, I think Zelda is big enough for three fighters if Fire Emblem can have three in Smash 4 (two unique fighters, one echo, just like Zelda would have with my proposal.

9 fighters does sound a lot but if they're unique and visually distinct, I think there is merit in having more Zelda rep.
My issue is that we are literally five spaces away from our most recent Zelda characters. I can for sure see people thinking … “Wait, didn’t two additional Zelda characters get announced?” It feels very lopsided….not to mention there are other franchises that have potential candidates that doesn’t have a rep attached to them.

Cherry-picking much?

We wouldn't even say who the pilot is, just "Arwing", so the logistics shouldn't matter either way - this is a game where god-slayers can be defeated by a post-pubescant girl who likes playing with water guns, logic is irrelevant.

Anyway, just because it flies doesn't mean it can't have regular jumping. Your "unfair advantage" argument applies just as well to Bowser Jr., Funny Pignas Man, and almost any of the winged or psychic characters.
Still doesn’t make any sense. No Arwing.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
For starters…

Possibly true, but Star Fox Zero introduced a Walker form that is smaller, more easily sized-down and more easily implemented in a platform fighter and I would be remiss not to mention it.

View attachment 338648

I think that, as said, the list for the bonus fighter is set in stone, but any input helps set the course for the DLC. If that’s the case, I’d like to make a case for newcomer series like Pilotwings or a retro fighter. I know that for a job that needs a set list of series, “a new first party series” is broad but I feel a retro-y rep should be on the table even if it is for now in the form of Metal Mario or Super Mario Kart

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Still doesn’t make any sense. No Arwing.
That's not even an argument. Anyway, even if Arwing "makes no sense" the option should still be there if it is submitted on virtue of this being a democratic game and it not breaking any actual set-in-stone rules other than the mech rule - and if that's the case we shouldn't be discussing Arwing at all because it was a closed case off the get go.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Wait! Why not the B-Dasher from Mario Kart?
1637715202180.png

It's not as WTF as an Arwing, and it's comparatively pretty small, too. I mean, they only seem pretty small if they're driven by, say, Bowser or Donkey Kong. Furthermore, there's some precedent for a playable car in a fighting game before. Just look at this schet!
If it happened before, it can happen again!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's not even an argument. Anyway, even if Arwing "makes no sense" the option should still be there if it is submitted on virtue of this being a democratic game and it not breaking any actual set-in-stone rules other than the mech rule - and if that's the case we shouldn't be discussing Arwing at all because it was a closed case off the get go.
I explained it quite clearly that Arwing doesn’t make sense as a fighter because of a moveset that’s centered around flight which would be largely unworkable in Smash. Your argument about Pit or any other character that can fly doesn’t hold water. The Arwing is far to large and can’t logically be slimmed down unlike Ridley plus there is typically a character visible in the cockpit. Seeing as how each Smash game tries to bring as much life to the characters, not having a pilot visible would be out of character. But the character would have to be greatly minimized in order for the character to make sense as the pilot. A mini-sized Arwing or even Walker would look far more stranger than a smaller Ridley. I have accepted most of your off-the-wall submissions but I draw the line on this. Find a more appropriate submission or not submit at all.

And before we even start, Blue Shell would also be ineligible.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I explained it quite clearly that Arwing doesn’t make sense as a fighter because of a moveset that’s centered around flight which would be largely unworkable in Smash. Your argument about Pit or any other character that can fly doesn’t hold water. The Arwing is far to large and can’t logically be slimmed down unlike Ridley plus there is typically a character visible in the cockpit. Seeing as how each Smash game tries to bring as much life to the characters, not having a pilot visible would be out of character. But the character would have to be greatly minimized in order for the character to make sense as the pilot. A mini-sized Arwing or even Walker would look far more stranger than a smaller Ridley. I have accepted most of your off-the-wall submissions but I draw the line on this. Find a more appropriate submission or not submit at all.
Why do we need to "stay on character"? If Smash's previous patterns harm a candidate, shouldn't we break those patterns? We can just have a small Arwing with no visible pilot and call it that, we can still give it life - have it gracefully twirl and barrel roll, stretch out its wings like the anonymous pilot is cooling it down, so on. Also, did you not see the picture I posted of the Corneria Arwing? There's already prescedent for tiny Arwings in Smash. Hell, we could make it a Super FX Arwing that inherently couldn't have a visible pilot if there's no other option.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Man, who knew Arwing of all things would cause this much debate?

Although maybe we could bend the rules of continuity a little, maybe say this is some kind of mini-Arwing-drone-thingy? Yeah, I got nothing...

D

Deleted member

On a more serious note I was thinking Pauline could be a fun one. A "retro" rep but one who has gained a new fan following after her appearance in Mario Oddesy.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Arwing is literally an inanimate object. That fact alone provides more evidence for why Arwing shouldn’t get into Smash than all of Arwing’s arguments for getting into Smash combined.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Why do we need to "stay on character"? If Smash's previous patterns harm a candidate, shouldn't we break those patterns? We can just have a small Arwing with no visible pilot and call it that, we can still give it life - have it gracefully twirl and barrel roll, stretch out its wings like the anonymous pilot is cooling it down, so on. Also, did you not see the picture I posted of the Corneria Arwing? There's already prescedent for tiny Arwings in Smash. Hell, we could make it a Super FX Arwing that inherently couldn't have a visible pilot if there's no other option.
I would still rather see a more sensible submissions that’s not all about being “obscure and off-the-wall”. I know that’s your thing and that’s fine but that’s not what this project is about. While I do want people to submit what they want, we do need some rules and criteria instead of submitting whatever is under the sun. Your horrendous Bob submission is one particular example of this. And yes, it wa a horrendous but I still accepted it. Going into DLC, I’m going to be FAAAR more stricter in regards to content that’s submitted.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I would still rather see a more sensible submissions that’s not all about being “obscure and off-the-wall”. I know that’s your thing and that’s fine but that’s not what this project is about. While I do want people to submit what they want, we do need some rules and criteria instead of submitting whatever is under the sun. Your horrendous Bob submission is one particular example of this. And yes, it wa a horrendous but I still accepted it. Going into DLC, I’m going to be FAAAR more stricter in regards to content that’s submitted.
I didn't intend Arwing's submission as a joke, I described it as weird, sure, but it is a "character" I see legitimate moveset potential and fun in. Shooting lasers, overheating the exhaust for short range blasts, swooping from above, barrel rolling away from conflict, it could be a ton of fun. This isn't like Bob, I had more reason than wacky HaHas to propose Arwing.

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Regardless of the fact that I don’t think the Arwing couldn’t work mechanically, aren’t the spacie’s moveset’s made up from the attacks/nature of the arwing already?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I didn't intend Arwing's submission as a joke, I described it as weird, sure, but it is a "character" I see legitimate moveset potential and fun in. Shooting lasers, overheating the exhaust for short range blasts, barrel rolling away from conflict, it could be a ton of fun. This isn't like Bob, I had more reason than wacky HaHas to propose Arwing.
Sorry but still not allowing an Arwing. I actually do like the idea but there are waaaay to make things that make this a bad and ineligible submission for me to OK it.

As to the thread,

We will begin opening submissions for a Promotional Fighter. I know you all submitted ideas for characters but I do want to stress to submit the character, how the character could potentially play, and reasons for inclusion as a promotional fighter that players can get for registering the game.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sorry but still not allowing an Arwing. I actually do like the idea but there are waaaay to make things that make this a bad and ineligible submission for me to OK it.
Please tell me those reasons, I am open for a debate and I am open to losing it - however, you and the rest of the thread have not managed to sway my opinions on Arwing thus far.

Keep in mind, I didn't really intend to submit Arwing, I already had my eyes set on GJ or MB by the time the debate started.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I would probably prefer another character to arwing but the fact that it doesn’t break any rules means I think it should have a chance. If it’s really such a bad submission you can just not vote for it but I don’t see why it can’t be in the running. The fact that the arwing is an inanimate object could be a reason you don’t wanna vote for it but I don’t see why it would be a reason to shut it down especially because there would be no issues with movement.

Also judging by the fact that arwings are what you actually play as in star fox, I think people could make legitimate points for an arwing being playable even if I’m not entirely in agreement. I’m just saying it should be allowed.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I would probably prefer another character to arwing but the fact that it doesn’t break any rules means I think it should have a chance. If it’s really such a bad submission you can just not vote for it but I don’t see why it can’t be in the running. The fact that the arwing is an inanimate object could be a reason you don’t wanna vote for it but I don’t see why it would be a reason to shut it down especially because there would be no issues with movement.

Also judging by the fact that arwings are what you actually play as in star fox, I think people could make legitimate points for an arwing being playable even if I’m not entirely in agreement. I’m just saying it should be allowed.
This apply to the F-Zero vehicle too, yeah?

I mean in the Arwing is the Star Fox team, it's not a sentient vehicle like Opa-Opa whom have a mind on their own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom