• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- Also yeah, he should have the ball design. It’s by far his most iconic appearance. I also have some ideas for his attacks in this form.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I really agree with that choice, considering how most characters in Smash used their classic designs like both Belmonts, Mega Man (aesthetically) and Pac-Man.

Instead of using his beak (a pummel would be him poking the opponent with it), Red can just grab items and fighters as usual similarly to others, except without wings, like in some titles and media such as Angry Birds Epic below.

Last edited:

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
I really agree with that choice. Instead of using his beak (except for opponents, I guess), Red can just grab items as usual like other characters, except without wings, like in some titles and media such as Angry Birds Epic below.

It would be interesting to have Red use attacks from Epic, I also think that using other birds in his attacks would be cool af

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the wingless grab should be his actual grab and item grab. As for his attacks, I think that a mishmash of multiple items from VARIOUS games would feel off. If feel like they should be restricted to Specials, and the specials in question should come from the slingshot games rather than spin-offs. I already have a couple of ideas, such as a TNT Box Down B that can be used for setups, a Neutral B where he launches his friends out of the slingshot, and so forth. Otherwise, his normals should be physical attacks.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Why not have his slingshot be his grab? Perhaps he can fling foes at different angles and velocities as a unique mechanic like DK's cargo throw?

never thought i'd be arguing for a gimmick lmao

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Alright, enough time has passed. Welcome Red to the Smash fold!

So, based on what I am reading, we will be going with his game design which is nothing more than a ball of fluff.

So....

Red Gameplay Submission

How do you evision Red playing like? How owuld you translate a character that doesn't have arms or legs to function in Smash? We aren't doing Specials yet but merely character attributes.

What would a grab consist of?
How does he move?
What basis would attacks be (summon? Item? Physical? a mix?)
What sort of attributes would he have?
How does he grab items?
What does his animations look like?

Please provide a detailed overview how you feel Red should play like while paying special attention to his animations and attributes. This is particualrly important since the character doesn't have any arms or legs. We need to be more attentive to these facts in envisioning how the character work sbefore we do moveset submissions. You don't have to put in taunts or anything.

Also, I am highly considering utilizing this as our series symbol
1658679541992.png

Last edited:

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
Heya, I've been lurking this thread for a while and I wish to contribute in some way or form.

With that said, Red from Angry Birds is an interesting character worth exploring when it comes to Smash Bros. Here is some ideas you could possibly take from videos like this.

Glubbfubb

Smash Master
Alright, enough time has passed. Welcome Red to the Smash fold!

So, based on what I am reading, we will be going with his game design which is nothing more than a ball of fluff.

So....

Red Gameplay Submission

How do you evision Red playing like? How owuld you translate a character that doesn't have arms or legs to function in Smash? We aren't doing Specials yet but merely character attributes.

What would a grab consist of?
How does he move?
What basis would attacks be (summon? Item? Physical? a mix?)
What sort of attributes would he have?
How does he grab items?
What does his animations look like?

Please provide a detailed overview how you feel Red should play like while paying special attention to his animations and attributes. This is particualrly important since the character doesn't have any arms or legs. We need to be more attentive to these facts in envisioning how the character work sbefore we do moveset submissions. You don't have to put in taunts or anything.

Also, I am highly considering utilizing this as our series symbol
View attachment 357208
Being the most basic character in his home games I can seem him as a medium weight similiar to Mario while on the lighter side of things, he would have excellent air time and have a very fast dash.

Now for his movement I think just having him hop on the ground would suffice enough, he would have two jumps and no other special attributes.

Now as for grabs for the basic kaos he would use his beak and peck at the oppoent like a woodpecker before launching them with a slingshot, he would have a weak jab but strong knockback with the throws.

For items it would depend, if he was carrying a weak he would carry it with his tiny arms like in epic, if its, a cosumable like bombs or something similiar her would carry it with his beak.

As for specials I think he should have a gimmick where instead of just Red, each move and special would have him swap to different birds, this can be the original 5 or the other members as well. Red would manage the jabs and the other birds would manage the specials, each bird would have a unqiue weight and physics to them. For example Chuck is the fastest but the lightest, Blue are the weakest but have the highest jumps, Bomb has the strongest smash attacks but lowest mobility, and Matilta is slow on ground but fast in the air. This would give some unqiue moveset potential and be both unpredictable and simple to work with job wise.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here's my pitch for an AB series symbol - it's based om the Angry Birds Toons logo and takes cues from the title cards of Tom and Jerry and other golden age duo/chase cartoons
View attachment 357209
Keeping it tied to the video game series for now. Seeing as how the mobile icon is the piggy, that makes the most amount of sense. Also, more solid and less detached symbols tends to work better when being produced based on experience.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Keeping it tied to the video game series for now. Seeing as how the mobile icon is the piggy, that makes the most amount of sense.
The Angry Birds mobile icon is Red

Anyway, my icon submission doesn't actually feature any content from Toons, I just used its logo - which is based on Red's eyes as they appear in the game - as inspiration.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Being the most basic character in his home games I can seem him as a medium weight similiar to Mario while on the lighter side of things, he would have excellent air time and have a very fast dash.

Now for his movement I think just having him hop on the ground would suffice enough, he would have two jumps and no other special attributes.

Now as for grabs for the basic kaos he would use his beak and peck at the oppoent like a woodpecker before launching them with a slingshot, he would have a weak jab but strong knockback with the throws.

For items it would depend, if he was carrying a weak he would carry it with his tiny arms like in epic, if its, a cosumable like bombs or something similiar her would carry it with his beak.

As for specials I think he should have a gimmick where instead of just Red, each move and special would have him swap to different birds, this can be the original 5 or the other members as well. Red would manage the jabs and the other birds would manage the specials, each bird would have a unqiue weight and physics to them. For example Chuck is the fastest but the lightest, Blue are the weakest but have the highest jumps, Bomb has the strongest smash attacks but lowest mobility, and Matilta is slow on ground but fast in the air. This would give some unqiue moveset potential and be both unpredictable and simple to work with job wise.
While the idea of swapping between them is enticing, I feel that could get confusing fast. Especially if we have color swaps based on the various birds. With Pyra and Mythra, it’s easier to keep track off but being able to cycle through a number of birds. Unless of course you have them grouped together and rename the character Angry Birds or just Birds and adjust their swaps as a group instead.

But we submitted Red as a sole character so I’m sticking for that for now.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Angry Birds mobile icon is Red

Anyway, my icon submission doesn't actually feature any content from Toons, I just used its logo - which is based on Red's eyes as they appear in the game - as inspiration.
Ah I just typed in Angry Birds symbol on Google and found what looked like a mobile icon for the game so I assumed. Regardless, I’ll consider the one you put forth but I do want us to utilize the gaming aspect of AB rather than its other media aspects.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Dang. If I had a nickel for every time Ahri lost in a vote by a minuscule margin, I'd have two nickels. Not a lot, but weird that it happened twice.

Also yeah, I'd say have Red be more ball-like: Sakurai seems to use the original designs for Smash third parties most of the time, and I don't think Red should be the exception.

As for a series symbol, I think it should be an egg:
1658681991807.png

The Eggs are the sole biggest MacGuffin in the entire series, and the main motivation behind the Angry Birds' escapades.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Maybe we should do a vote on having the other birds as palette swaps. With 12 costumes, that allows us to split 6 colors evenly perfectly. (Red, Yellow, Blue, Black, White, and Pink).
For the other 6, here's something you didn't know: there was a female red bird that looked exactly like Red in the Valentine's version of Angry Birds Seasons:
1658682323682.png

We could use this when thinking of alt-costumes!

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I feel the best way to use the other birds is purely in special attacks like chuck for a horizontal recovery and the white bird for a vertical recovery (Idk how is it called in english), Bomb could also be used like in a nair and the blues and the green one (again I don't remember) for the grabs.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
For the other 6, here's something you didn't know: there was a female red bird that looked exactly like Red in the Valentine's version of Angry Birds Seasons:
View attachment 357212
We could use this when thinking of alt-costumes!
Did you notice Pikachu Libre Bow Tie Red Bird is a girl?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I have an idea for how Red could play: give him the Slingshot as a Crafting Table-like construct that he can relocate with a Shield Special. His Neutral Special could be him firing a bird and using their abilities while his Down Special could be him cycling between them. A variant of his Jab could be a variant of his Neutral Special...except he fires himself.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Remember that we aren’t working on specials. Just trying to get an idea of how he would actually play like. The biggest aspect is should we have the birds as Alt costumes, as moveset content, or a Pokemon trainer where you can switch between them thus rebranding Red to become Angry Birds.

I have issues with having both Red having alternate color swaps of the birds as well as having the birds available via moveset content as it could be potentially confusing for players.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
See the source image

Maybe a silhouette of eggs in a nest could be the logo?
I’ll prepare a few of these and see how they look like. It’s one thing putting out ideas but they look vastly different when made into a series symbol.

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
Alright, Imma throw in my two cents.

I’d want to go for a more abstract version of Angry Birds gameplay in Red’s moveset. In the Angry Birds games, the main focus is making the most out of your resources. You have a limited amount of birds to launch out of your slingshot and you need to destroy as much as you can. Also considering Red’s rather high-tempered and reckless nature, he should have attacks that portray that. I’d imagine he would work like a more setup-based Pichu, where he would create setups before aggressively rushing down the opponent, hurting himself in the process. Here are some ideas I had for attacks.

Grab & Pummel - Red’s grab will be similar to how he holds items in his home series, with no hands. He’ll pummel the opponent by pecking at them.
Forward Throw - Red will jump backward to back up before dashing into the opponent with a headbutt. This is effective, but will hurt Red in the process.
Down Throw - Red will throw the opponent down, jumping above them. He will then pounce on them with all of his might, launching them forward. This also hurts Red.
Back Throw - Red will jump behind the opponent and then dash at them from behind with a headbutt. This is also a self-harm move.

As for his animations, yeah, Red will hop around like a VeggieTales character. He’d have a mostly stoic expression with a slight hint of anger in his idle animations. He’d look really angry when using moves such as Smash Attacks and Grabs. I’d imagine him having all-rounded stats as well, including speed and weight. His attacks in the air would be fairly fast, but not powerful, encouraging you to use the setups. In addition, they’d also have self-harm properties.

Last edited:

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
Here's my pitch for an AB series symbol - it's based om the Angry Birds Toons logo and takes cues from the title cards of Tom and Jerry and other golden age duo/chase cartoons
View attachment 357209
I agree with this idea, too! I think that the symbol is recognizable with the two main faces of the series on it. It also communicates immediately what the series is about. Birds fighting Pigs. It doesn’t need to specifically represent Toons. We can base it off of the game designs, which are essentially synonymous with Toons.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ah, animations!

I think we could have him hop around with no sizeable issue. I mean, we have characters with unconventional movement before (Mewtwo floats, R.O.B. has treads he moves around on), and it could even be a lot like Inkling's Dash in the sense that it shifts his hurt boxes to avoid lower-hitting attacks.

Grabs could have him just stand on top of the foe and angrily stomp on them for a pummel. It fits into the "Angry Birds" part of the franchise and something that I feel is the perfect workaround for being limbless.

BlueCRE

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I’m just going to TL;DR everything into a composite message.

General Summary
Red’s gameplay style is a more abstract version of typical Angry Birds gameplay. In the Angry Birds games, the main focus is making the most out of your resources. You have a limited amount of birds to launch out of your slingshot and you need to destroy as much as you can. Also considering Red’s rather high-tempered and reckless nature, he should have attacks that portray that. He would work like a more setup-based Pichu, where he would create setups before aggressively rushing down the opponent, hurting himself in the process.

What would his grab consist of? How does he hold items?
Red will grab items and opponents similar to how he grabs them in games like Angry Birds Epic. It’s essentially a limbless grab.

How does he move?
Red will, again, hop like a VeggieTales character for his walk and run.

What do his attacks consist of?
Red’s normals would consist of physical attacks. These would include pecking with his beak, tackling the opponent with his body, and so forth. However, Red’s normals can and will harm him when landed. This pressures the player to build up as much damage as possible using Red’s attacks. this property applies to the Specials as well.

What are his attributes?
Red would have an average speed and weight. He’s more on the all-rounded side. His normals are quick and aggressive, but aren’t reliable for kills. This is where the Specials come in, as they do much more damage and knockback when paired with Red’s normals. He’d have two jumps and no additional movement options.

What are his animations?
As said earlier, Red has a stoic yet slightly angry expression. You get to see Red’s anger come out in its full when he is attacking, specially when using Specials, Grabs, and Smash Attacks. He’ll have slightly cartoonish vibe similar to Pikachu or Donkey Kong, slightly flattening when he lands, shrinking his pupils when he gets hit, etc. In addition, red feathers will bounce off of Red and the opponent if he lands an attack.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Don't know or care that much but it would be possible add something of Angry Birds Space?, it was the most popular spin-off one I was more or less a child.
I'd imagine it'd be relatively simple to represent it through music, spirits, and alternate costumes. Even an AT or Stage/Smashspace Dungeon.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So based what I am seeing....

The character will have a strange, limbless ability to grab thing which allows it to be "held" by Red. Some weapons and items though will be held by his beak. Much like his appearance, Red hops around with a sense of weight about him when moving. That being said, he is an extremely slow character but surprisingly high air mobility with a decent first and second jump. He also has good air direction skills.

In terms of grabs, I decided to leave it to our submitters to decide how the grabs work.

So, in terms of actual gameplay, I felt it boiled down to several options. I will be writing our options below:

1) Red can summon the other Anhry Birds for particular attacks such as specials. This also appears alongside Red having alternate costumes based on those birds.

1) Red has ONLY alternate costumes based on the Angry Birds. Moveset content focuses on other aspects of the games.

3) Red is able to swap between the other Angry Birds much like Pokemon Trainer which allows other Birds to be playable with their own stats and attriutes. Thsi would need to change Red to Angry Birds as a resu;t Each Angry Bird would have its own altenrate color, (I will say this requires the most amount of work for me lol.)

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'd say we do #1. It'd play more into the "resource-managing" aspect of Angry Birds and also makes him somewhat unique. #2 would be too much of a crapshoot considering the number of spin-offs and entries are absolutely all over the place and #3 would just be way too complex when we just got a stupid-complex set in Nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom