• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it'd work better if it's a series that hasn't had much Nintendo contact, or at the very least only started having ports/games on Nintendos ystems recently. That way it's both more realistic and easier to find characters that fit

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think it'd work better if it's a series that hasn't had much Nintendo contact, or at the very least only started having ports/games on Nintendos ystems recently. That way it's both more realistic and easier to find characters that fit
Allowing both criteria (never or barely on Nintendo) would make sense - though I think this is a better basis for a newcomer than a stage.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Allowing both criteria (never or barely on Nintendo) would make sense - though I think this is a better basis for a newcomer than a stage.
Oh whoop, I though the suggested prompt was for fighters in the first place. Yeah, it'd fit for a fighter better than it'd fit for a stage.

Actually, I'm kinda curious about something. Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , is every prompt planned out in advance, or did you make up/change a couple during development? The prompt being suggested got me thinking.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Off topic, but when is the next job for recolors? We did N64 and Melee's newcomers and then just kinda stopped.
I've been wondering the same thing about moveset changes. I don't think we'd get anything as major as the stuff we got for Samus or Ganondorf, but I figure there's some stuff we could do for the later characters.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh whoop, I though the suggested prompt was for fighters in the first place. Yeah, it'd fit for a fighter better than it'd fit for a stage.

Actually, I'm kinda curious about something. Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , is every prompt planned out in advance, or did you make up/change a couple during development? The prompt being suggested got me thinking.
Our timeline to launch is planned out but smaller job prompts are typically more impulsive. More important ones like newcomers and stages and such are more or less set in stone. That could change though...

Off topic, but when is the next job for recolors? We did N64 and Melee's newcomers and then just kinda stopped.
Due to an overwhelming amount of negative feedback to alternate costumes, I’m totaling restructuring it. I’m still consulting with the leadership team but we will be revisiting this some other time.

I've been wondering the same thing about moveset changes. I don't think we'd get anything as major as the stuff we got for Samus or Ganondorf, but I figure there's some stuff we could do for the later characters.
Character changes are coming later in the Direct.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
When it comes to character changes, could we (the players, not the thread owners obviously) agree try to make sure Wario doesn't get any major modifications? I'd be interested in submitting Land Wario as a seperate character or a new Land rep who could carry over Wario's abilities at some point.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
When it comes to character changes, could we (the players, not the thread owners obviously) agree try to make sure Wario doesn't get any major modifications? I'd be interested in submitting Land Wario as a seperate character or a new Land rep who could carry over Wario's abilities at some point.
Hm. I'm not sure about this. It's a bit of an all-or-nothing plan. If no Land rep ends up getting in, we don't really get any rep for it in a fighter's moveset at all.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Hm. I'm not sure about this. It's a bit of an all-or-nothing plan. If no Land rep ends up getting in, we don't really get any rep for it in a fighter's moveset at all.
Wario's Ware moveset is already really well designed with 3 of his 4 special moves syncing into each other perfectly so I don't think it's a good idea to modify it too much. Same stance I have with Ganondorf, where we really should've just added Pig Ganon instead of decloning him.

Character changes will be very minute; nothing like what we saw earlier. No total revamped or anything. Just a few tweaks.
Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
DJ Octavio Moveset:

(credit to @YanpaiArt on twitter)

Like Sakurai does for so many characters these days, I wanted to simulate DJ Octavio as if he were pulled straight from his home game. In Splatoon, for both of the boss battles with DJ Octavio, and all splatoon bosses in general, there is a large amount dodging and weaving various projectiles, as well as trying to recover ink to stay safe in. Now of course, DJ Octavio's the one we included, and not the inkling, so his playstyle would force the opponent to play like you do in splatoon, not the other way around. This naturally means lots of projectile, as well as stage control with his ink, which will have a new mechanic compared to Inklings which I'll explain later.

Additionally, since DJ Octavio's sole boss battle doesn't actually lend itself to too many attacks for smash, I also wanted to incorporate attacks from the other bosses of Splatoon. There's some implied lore that Octavio cut off a tentacle to power them, and he's their commander either way so I think it makes sense to have his mech be able to mimic their abilities. I did manage to reference all of the other bosses with at least one move which I think is pretty cool.

The last note I want to add about why I chose some of his moves, is that while I could have utilized his Kabuto (the headpiece) I wanted to leave the opportunity for his Splatoon 2 drip to be an alt so I avoided harnessing his Kabuto for that reason. Some of the up attacks took me a while to figure out because of this, but I think I'm more satisfied with them in the long run. But thats enough preface, let's get into the moveset for everyone's favorite DJ.

Neutrals
MovesDescription
Jab - Record Scratch​
DJ Octavio scratches one of his DJ discs with his wasabi sticks, followed by another scratch on the other disk with his other Wasabi stick. a blast of sound comes out for each swipe as the 1 2 hits of the jab. If the Jab is held down DJ Octavio will continue to scratch one disc, while pumping his tentacle to the beat with the other. It is quite the vibe. When the jab is released DJ Octavio will aggressively scratch the disc one more time, resulting in a large sound blast knocking the opponent away.
Dash - Octodash
Based on a move from DJ Octavio's Splatoon 2 boss battle, Octavio would simply slam into the opponent with his thrusters in full force, ultimately covering a large distance. Additionally, like in the boss battle, a trail of ink would be left over the distance he traveled.
Forward Tilt - Octo Oven
While an Oven may not be present on his splatoon mech, his smash design will contain such an oven panel. A red light will go off and a piece of bread will shoot out covering the area in front of DJ Octavio. it will extend quite far, but not very high. It will send at a nearly completely horizontal angle, being quite strong but having large endlag. Ink will be left in the area covered underneath the bread.
Up Tilt - Wastabi​
DJ Octavio extends one of his tentacles upwards at a diagonal angle with the wasabi in hand. Pokes as an anti air, but doesn't have much range or damage.
Down Tilt - Octo Nozzle
Stealing a move from the Octo Nozzle, a nose will sprout from the front of the mech, with a ball of ink being produced and kicked by another pair of feet which send the ball forward at a slow rate. The ball will travel quite slowly, but will leave a trail of ink as well as forcing the opponent to go into the air to avoid damage. This will play into his zoner element which I'll expand on later.

Aerials
MovesDescription
Neutral Air - Octospin
Similar to DJ Octavio's hit animation in his Splatoon boss battle, DJ Octavio's mech does a backflip. Similar to Pac-Man's neutral air, in function except being a larger hitbox and lasting longer. Doesn't do much damage but serves as a quick out of shield.
Forward Air - Octopunch
While I wanted to avoid including too many extended arm attacks to avoid similarities to Min Min, it is ultimately his most prominent attack in both boss battles so it should be included somewhere. will work very similar to Min Min's forward air, most similar to the megawatt version, being slow with a big hitbox and power. Only one fist can be sent out at a time unlike Min Min.
Back Air - Octosock​
The mech will spin around, with one fist loose, following behind. (I'm not sure if that description makes sense but the fist would have a motion similar to Mewtwo's Forward Tilt as the mech spins back to the front). Has decent power but has end lag.
Up Air - Zapfish
As shown by the beginning of DJ Octavio's boss battle his mech is actually powered by the Great Zapfish, which is sucked in through the bottom of his mech. Although since the smash mech is smaller it will instead be a normal Zapfish. For this attack, Octavio will briefly lose control of his mech, it will spin upside down, and The Zapfish will rear its (ugly) head up, zapping any opponent above it in a multi hit that deals large damage. Octavio then gains control of his mech again, flipping it right side up and looking quite flustered. The idea behind this attack is that the Zapfish is trying to escape, and is almost successful, but DJ Octavio manages to regain control and the attack ends.
Down Air - Octostomp
A panel showing the face of The Octostomp pops up and covers DJ Octavio's face. The mech then slams down, similar to other fall and stalls. There would be a spike at the beginning of the hitbox again like other fall and stalls. If this move lands on the ground, then there will be ink left over where contact was made with the ground.

Throws
MovesDescription
Grab - Octograb​
One of DJ Octavio's Mini fists extend outwards for a long range tether grab. While it does have good range, it's also quite punishable.
Pummel - Wasabi Beatdown​
DJ Octavio bashes the opponent in the head with the butt of his Wasabi sticks. He looks quite deranged here, as he enjoys personally beating you as opposed to letting the mech do all his work.
Forward Throw - Octocombo​
The opponent is thrown forward by one fist, and the other fist follows up with a gut punch sending the opponent flying. This is his Kill throw.
Back Throw - Octotoss​
The Octobot spins around, ultimately releasing the opponent after a few spins. Not his strongest kill throw, but can still be used for kills.
Up Throw - Octomaw
A panel opens up on the top of the mech with a shrunk down version of the Octomaw biting the opponent, similar to Piranha Plant's Up Throw. Sends straight up and kills pretty early depending on the blast zone and opponent weight.
Down Throw - Dubstomp​
Octavio's mech will jump up, before blasting its thrusters in the opponent's face, similar to R.O.B.'s Down Air, except with Ink. Will send at an angle similar to Mewtwo's Down throw, but is not a kill throw.

Smash Attacks
MovesDescription
Forward Smash - Spinning Punch
DJ Octavio revs up his mech's fists, before launching them into the ground in front of him. Covers a decent amount of range, but not as far as his forward air nor Min Min's smash Attacks. One of DJ Octavio's strongest moves, killing quite early at the ledge. Ink is also left on the ground where the fists made contact.
Up Smash - Gusher
A Gusher appears below Octavio, launching his mech up into the air. This would shoot his mech up as a projectile, knocking any opponents out of the way. I suppose it has a similar hitbox to Sonic's Up Smash, although it goes higher and only hits once. Deals high knockback and damage but less than Forward Smash. Octavio looks bewildered while this is happening as he's being launched as well inside the mech.
Down Smash - Octo Sweep
Stealing an attack from the Octo Samurai, DJ Octavio's mech will pull out a paint roller, which he will sweep around him for a down smash. Like Inkling's paint roller, it buries, setting up for a punish. Ink will also be left in the area covered by the sweep.

Special Attacks
MovesDescription
Neutral Special - Octorpedo
Like in both DJ Octavio boss battles, DJ Octavio will rely heavily on projectiles, with his neutral special being his standard Octorpedo. It travels in an arc, quite slowly, however dealing heavy damage if it connects and applying the ink effect as well. two missiles can be fired at once, making it quite hard to avoid since they arc, if one is launched in the air followed by one launched on the ground. DJ OCtavio's boss battles are all about avoiding his projectiles to punish him, so his playstyle would reflect that. Additionally, if Neutral B is held down, a larger version of the Octorpedo will be launched instead, which comes out much faster and deals much more damage, almost breaking a full shield.
Side Special - Octowhirl
Referencing a boss from Splatoon 1, DJ Octavio's mech would flip one its side, begin to charge, and spin horizontally, traveling across the stage or in the air similar to Jigglypuff's or Bowser Jr's Side B. This gives him a much needed movement option, as well as leaving a trail of ink behind giving him stage control. Would deal decent damage and knockback if the move connects, but the primary function is for movement and stage control. Octavio would look Dizzy once this move is finished as he's spinning with the mech as well.
Down Special - Takoyaki Bombs
The other two submissions also include this, but it's one of his more unique moves so I can't say it's undeserved. DJ Octavio will launch a Takoyaki bomb, and it will briefly roll before coming to a stop. after one or two seconds it will swell and explode into a geyser of ink. While the geyser won't last as long as they do in his boss battle, it would deal more damage than Isabelle's Down Special, in a multi hit fashion. If the bomb is hit before it can explode it will be disarmed and not explode, instead simply disappearing.
Up Special - Octoshower
utilizing the same mechanism that the Octocopters use to fly the Octoshower around, 4 Octocopters would appear and lift Octavio up. These octocopters can be killed similar to how Villager and Isabelle's balloons can be popped. This distance traveled would be comparable to that of Isabelle's, with it decreasing with consecutive uses, as fewer Octocopters will appear. The octocopters will fly away once the recovery is over or the ledge is released, with an extremely weak hitbox on them, similar to Snake's recovery.

Gimmick
GimmickDescription
Gimmick - Ink​
So after Inkling and Octoling having an ink mechanic, it makes sense that DJ Octavio would have one too. However, we can't just copy and paste the same thing over can we? Well we could, but It'd be a little boring, so instead it will be slightly different. One element of ink in the Splatoon series that is unrepresented in smash is the fact that your movement is severely limited when you're in enemy ink. So since Octavio has no ink meter, ink on the stage will slow the opponent's move speed by 5-10% (not sure what would be balanced) instead of increasing the rate at which ink is refilled in the case of Inkling and Octoling. To compensate for this buff, the damage multiplier to inked opponents will be decreased compared to Inkling and Octoling's multipliers.

There's also the issue of Octavio being our third ink based character, requiring 36 different colors of ink across 12 alts for 3 characters, but I think thats something we can tackle when we rework the alt system. If we need a failsafe, the ink color can always be made to match the player color.

Final Smash
MovesDescription
Dubstep Disco Destruction​
DJ Octavio's mech turns into a Disco Ball and it floats up to the center of the screen, similar to Lucario and ZSS. Then DJ Octavio drops a beat and his Octarian army is summoned while an Octarian remix of Calamari Inkantation plays. The Octarian army includes Octocommanders firing their Gatling guns from floating platforms, Octocopters firing Ink balls, Octobombers firing Splat Bombs, and Flooders covering the floor with ink. The attack ends with an Octozeppelin crashing into the stage causing an explosion of ink, dealing strong knockback and damage. Similar in effect to Ness and Lucas's final smashes where a barrage of projectiles come down, this time ink edition.
Thanks for reading!​

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Reminder that we still have the Subspace Emissary Enemy Spirit Task!!

Subspace Emissary Enemy Spirit Task
Well, its been a little while since we've had spirit submissions, so heres another one to keep the thread busy while we continue voting for our heavy newcomer. For this task, we will be submitting the remaining subspace enemies, which includes every smash original enemy besides Primid (and its variations), Bytan, Mites, Roturret, Subspace Bomb and Shadow Bug, as they already have spirits. We will also be excluding Mizzo as they have no art or model of just them not in a vat as far as I can tell, although this is subject to change in conflicting evidence is found. That list includes the following:

Armank
Armight
Auroros
Autolance
Bombed
Borboras
Bucculus
Buckot
Cymul
Feyesh
Floow
Gamyga
Glice
Glire
Glunder
Greap
Nagagog
Poppant
Puppit
Roader
Shaydas
Shellpod
Spaak
Ticken
Towtow
Trowlon
Jyks

Since this more or less is taking the place of a smash bros themed event, any other smash original characters will be considered, but I can't think of any that aren't already spirits off the top of my head. While these individual enemies may not have the greatest legacy, Subspace itself definitely does, and the nature of Sakurai having access to their models and rights makes their inclusion seem logical. Additionally, while I don't believe these character's have any released official art, we will simply use their models from their brawl trophies as their art. Other smash original spirits such as the Master core forms received new art for their spirit, and the current Subspace enemy spirits seem to use models for their art as well, making the use of models acceptable for these spirits where they may not be with other series. High Definition Transparent pictures of their models can be found here.​

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ok, it’s time to vote for your preferred DJ Octavio moveset! I want to thank all of the participants who submitted a moveset! It takes a lot of work crafting one in 36 hours but I’m glad we got some submitted! When voting, please vote for the one you feel best fits the Commander of the Octos and one that feels both fun and unique.

Please vote for only one of the following:

Submission by Paraster Paraster
Submission by cashregister9 cashregister9
Submission by Krookodilian Krookodilian

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
DJ Octavio Misc Content Submissions

In addition to voting for the moveset for DJ Octavio, we will be submitting miscellaneous content for the big boss. This helps flesh out our eight-tentitcled newcomer. Please submit any of the following;

1) On-Screen Appearance (1)
2) Taunts (4)
3) Victory Screens (3)
4) Losing Animation (1)
5) Idle Poses (2)
6) Kirby Hat (1)
7) Boxing Ring Theme (1)

8) Audience Cheer (1)
9) Classic Mode Route (1)

Don’t forget also that we are accepting submission for Spirits relating to Subspace Enemies that were submitted previously. Please consult the front page for the full list.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Crowd Chant: The audience sings a bit of Octavio's boss theme from Splatoon 1 (not Calamari Incantation, the other one). As a DJ, I think it makes sense for him to have a song chant.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Idle animation: Octavio pulls out a snowglobe, shakes it aggressively, and watches the pretty snow inside it. He quickly gets angry, not only because he got distracted, but because it reminds him of the snowglobe he was imprisoned in, and puts it away.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Voting for Krookodilian’s moveset.

Also I think Groyvle and Celebi still needs Misc Content as well. So to help with that.

Groyvle and Celebi Defeat Animation: both Groyvle and Celebi clap in a neutral tone. And while I’m on topic

DJ Octavio Defeat Animation: DJ Octavio claps while he glares angerly at the winner

Paraster

Smash Lord
A few Subspace spirits.

Also, something I realized: could we add a section to the music doc for music that originated in Smash? A few Subspace songs weren't used in Ultimate.
Untitled.png
Auroros
Class
: ✩✩ Advanced
Type: Support/Neutral
Skill: Air Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: Bunny Falco (brown) x5
  • Stage: Mystery Island
  • Music Track: Step: The Plain
  • Match: Stamina
    • Falcos have 30 HP
  • Rules/Conditions:
    • The enemy deals damage when falling
Untitled.png
Jyk
Class
: ✩ Novice
Type: Support/Shield
Skill: Unira Equipped
  • Puppet Fighter: Jigglypuff (maroon) x3
  • Stage: Shadow Moses Island
  • Music Track: Step: Subspace
  • Match: Timed (30 seconds)
  • Rules/Conditions:
    • Item: Hothead
    • Item: Unira
    • The enemy is invincible
    • The enemy favors neutral specials
    • Survive until the timer runs out
Untitled.png
Feyesh
Class
Type: Primary/Attack, 1 slot
Trait: Electric Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: Octoling (red) x3
  • Stage: Pirate Ship
  • Match: Stock
  • Rules/Conditions:
    • Hazard: Zap Floor
    • The enemy falls slowly

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Subspace enemy designs are weird.
1621524523623.png
1621524541257.png
1621524560032.png
Glire, Glice, & Glunder (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Class: Advanced
Type: Support Neutral
Effect: Energy Shot Attack/Resistance ↑, 2 Slots
  • Puppet Fighter: Kirby x4 (Red) , Pichu x4 (Focus Band), Ice Climbers x4 (Blue)
  • Stage: Final Destination
  • Music Track: Step: Subspace Ver. 3
  • Match: HP (25)
  • Conditions: The enemy favors Dash (Kirby), The enemy favors Side Special (Ice Climbers), The enemy favors Neutral and Down Special (Pichu)
1621525225507.png
Greap (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Type: Support Attack
Effect: Death's Scythe Equipped, 1 Slot
  • Puppet Fighter: Giant Kirby (Dark Purple)
  • Stage: Halberd
  • Match: HP (200)
  • Conditions: The enemy favors Up Special, The enemy has random critical hits
1621525516729.png
Gamyga (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Type: Primary Shield, 3 Slots
Effect: Unflinching Charged Smashes
  • Puppet Fighter: Meta Knight (Green), Pikachu x4 (Calem Hat)
  • Stage: Gaur Plains
  • Match: HP (100) (Pikachu), HP (25) (Meta Knight)
  • Conditions: Defeat the Main Fighter to win (Meta Knight), The fighter tends to avoid conflict (Meta Knight)
1621525923204.png
Floow (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Type: Neutral Primary, 0 Slots
Effect: Hyper Smash Attacks
  • Puppet Fighter: R.O.B. x3 (Famicom)
  • Stage: New Pork City
  • Match: HP (50)
  • Conditions: The enemy has low gravity, The enemy has a sudden final smash, The enemy has random critical hits, The enemy randomly turns invisible

1621526381518.png
Buckot (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Class: Novice
Type: Support Grab
Effect: Landing Lag ↓, 1 Slot
  • Puppet Fighter: Tiny Mega Man x 4 (Brown)
  • Stage: Castle Siege
  • Music Track: Step: Subspace Ver. 3
  • Match: HP (20)
  • Conditions: The enemy love to jump, The enemy favors Down Air, The enemy has low gravity, certain items will spawn in large numbers (Ray Gun, Super Scope, Maxim Tomato)

Moveset: Paraster

Paraster

Smash Lord
More Subspace spirits.
Untitled.png
Armank
Class
: ✩✩✩ Ace
Type: Primary/Shield, 3 slots
Trait: Weight ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: Giant Metal R.O.B. (grey)
  • Stage: Mushroomy Kingdom (Ω form)
  • Rules/Conditions:
    • The enemy becomes temporarily invincible
Untitled.png
Autolance
Class
Type: Primary/Attack, 0 slots
Trait: Sword Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: Metal Bandana Waddle Dee (yellow)
  • Stage: Castle Siege
  • Rules/Conditions:
    • The enemy has increased defense
    • The enemy can unleash powerful critical hits at random

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While I really like Krook’s final smash, I personally prefer Paraster’s submission. A vote for Paraster.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are the results of the voting for a moveset for DJ Octavio! We had three amazing submissions but only one can win. We apologize but there was a slight error with tallying the results and we I’ll update it when we can...

...unfortunately, we gave Paraster one extra vote that wasn’t there so it should actually be 2 instead of 3. We understand this isn’t a huge change in the grand scheme of things but we want to be as transparent as possible.

We will be going to Krookodlian’s moveset submission which is rather fitting considering he also submitted the character.

We will now progress further and start a job surrounding...

Job #107: Discuss and Submit a stage from Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion

This stage will serve as the main representative from Splatoon 2 and the home stage for Octoling and DJ Octavio. Discuss and submit is a mixture of both a diwcussion round and a submission round. Users are encouraged to discuss and submit a stage from this expansion content for Splatoon 2. Feel free to discuss the game, any particular locations, and even things you liked or didn’t like about it! Going into our content, we not only want to encourage people to submit content but also share in their love of where it comes from!

When submitting, please include the following:
1) stage name
2) what it’s base off of
3) how it appears
4) any particular gimmicks or hazards
5) any cameos
6) battlefield and omega forms

7) why it needs to be included in Smash (why is it iconic? Is it popular?)

airConditioner

Smash Ace
I would like to preface that I'm terrible at stage design, so I am only going to discuss a few of my ideal picks for Octo Expansion stages rather than submit:

1. NILS Statue
Following the scuffle between Agent 3 and an Octoling, the Octoling (along with Captain Cuttlefish) loses their memories. In an attempt to regain their memories, they move onboard the Deepsea Metro and are christened Test Subject 10,008 by a telephone. This telephone promises their escape from the Deepsea Metro, provided 10,008 (called Agent 8 by Captain Cuttlefish) clears a series of tasks and obtains a number of "thangs." Along the way, they are assisted by Pearl and Marina, who lend monetary and technical support to the duo. After a series of tests, Agent 8 is able to collect all 4 thangs and present them to the old telephone. The telephone and the thangs merge into a machine that suspiciously resembles a blender. Agent 8 and Capt. Cuttlefish enter the machine, with it being their promised vessel of escape. Turns out, the machine is actually a blender. The duo is saved by Agent 3 and begins their escape. After a fight with a brainwashed Agent 3, they reach the surface, where they are greeted by several helicopters belonging to Off the Hook. They are rescued, but not before a giant statue rises from the waters.

The telephone, revealing its name to be Commander Tartar, claims that Inkopolis is a worthless cesspool of a city focused too heavily on fast fashion trends and silly turf wars. It intended to use the data of the previous test subjects to start anew after wiping out the city. As it begins its assault, Marina quickly thinks of a plan in order to slow down the statue and thus, save Inkopolis. Hyperbombs will be dropped on the conveniently solar powered statue, which will explode in ink to delay energy intake and thus allow Pearl to wipe it out with a Killer Wail.

As such, I believe the NILS Statue, if chosen as a stage, should focus mostly on its iteration as a final boss. The giant statue head would be periodically covered in Marina's hyperbombs, which could be a potential stage hazard. The statue itself consists of 5 distinct parts: the chest, the back, the neck, the right arm, and the head, all of which receive a few hyperbombs from Marina. Ride rails and trampolines surround the statue, providing Agent 8 with a means of transportation around the statue. In the background, a cloudy sky filled with helicopters provides an atmosphere that one would not expect when thinking of a Splatoon stage. One of these helicopters, the largest, would have Pearl and Marina (in their Expansion outfits) in it, as well as Captain Cuttlefish and an unconscious Agent 3. The lights would change based on the background music.

The NILS Statue is an extremely important location, being the final boss of Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion. It is a story level as well as a way to incorporate a multiplayer mode (Turf War) into a single player mode. As I mentioned before, a vaporwave based stage would be amazing and a stage based on a statue seen much in vaporwave culture would fit perfectly. Finally, the NILS statue also appears outside of Octo Expansion in the final Splatfest stage, that being MC.Princess Diaries, where its remains can be seen floating in the water.

2. Escape
After Agent 3 saves Agent 8 and Captain Cuttlefish, Agent 8 embarks on a series of stages in order to escape from the Deepsea Metro. They use Agent 3's CQ-80 device to activate an elevator to the surface. On the way, Agent 8 must obtain a weapon through stealth and find a power source for the elevator. On the final stage, they are ambushed by a brainwashed Agent 3 in the elevator.

The escape portion of Octo Expansion is a tough segment intended to gauge what the player had learned throughout the many stations of the Deepsea Metro. It is divided into 7 parts, those being the Coccyx, Villi, Belly, Intestinal, Diaphragm, Peristalsis, and Spinal phases. All of these being named after the body, it could be inferred that this is the inside of the NILS Statue.

Unlike the NILS Statue and the Deepsea Metro, the aesthetic of this portion is extremely different - being mechanical and sterile rather than vivid vaporwave. Being a heavily guarded stealth mission and a way to test the player's prowess in the game, it could have many stage hazards such as rotating platforms, lasers, and enemies. I believe that this portion would be a great stage simply because of the feeling of power the player gets - it is like a climactic victory lap with every new phase being more and more powerful.

3. Deepsea Metro
Finally, there is the Deepsea Metro. A train run by the enigmatic C.Q. Cumber, its patrons are residents of the deep ocean. Its curious characters help Agent 8 regain their memory, as well as serve as a place for Agent 8 bond with their benefactors. Being a tool of the Kamabo Corporation, it serves as a way to escort test subjects to different stations.

A travelling stage, the Deepsea Metro could possibly visit the various stations in the Octo Expansion. It is one of the most visually stunning pieces of the Switch Library, with its calming music and dark backgrounds creating an environment completely different from the loud turbulence of the surface. Many of the items and obstacles are based on retro items, including Nintendo consoles, appliances, and patterns. The stations are named after iconic pieces of media of the era such as songs and films.

The Deepsea Metro is the most recurring place in the Octo Expansion, being the player's hub world. It could feature cameos from characters like Captain Cuttlefish, Iso Padre, and C.Q. Cumber.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 107

Deepsea Metro

The stage has one layout the whole time. It is a long walkoff stage with 2 layers, the outer layer which takes place on top of the train and the inner layer which is inside the train itself.

The train stretches across the whole plane so it does not function like Spirit Tracks

This stage does travel visually though, we start out at...

Central Station.

This is where the travel part starts it looks exactly like how it does in the game with Commander Tartar directly in the middle, The Train is stationary at this point. it then takes off and starts to move.

We then travel through the metro which emulates the look and has many platforms, hazards, Backgrounds and items seen throughout the many stages in the octo expansion, most notably the 4 thangs, 8 Balls and an assortment of enlarged Mem cakes.

The Cameos on the Outer Layer are limited to just C. Q. Cumber who moves around the top.

But once you enter the second layer by entering through one of the 3 trap doors on the top of the Train you can see many more cameos like, Iso Padre, Cap'n Cuddlefish, And Many Other Denizens of the Deep. They are just sitting on the seats.

The Battlefield and Omega forms skip the Station all together and is just a platform in the middle of the metro using the same visuals. the new platform you are on in these forms does have 4 cameos though, Commander Tartar, Iso Padre, C. Q. Cumber and a random Denizen Of The Deep.

This is the location where the entire Octo Expansion takes place so it is very important to the game.

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Job 107: NILS Statue
1621608526391.png

Unlike character submissions, stage design is not my forté, and I also don't have too much time to work on this, so I'll just be submitting airConditioner airConditioner 's idea for the NILS Statue:
"The giant statue head would be periodically covered in Marina's hyperbombs, which could be a potential stage hazard. The statue itself consists of 5 distinct parts: the chest, the back, the neck, the right arm, and the head, all of which receive a few hyperbombs from Marina. Ride rails and trampolines surround the statue, providing Agent 8 with a means of transportation around the statue. In the background, a cloudy sky filled with helicopters provides an atmosphere that one would not expect when thinking of a Splatoon stage. One of these helicopters, the largest, would have Pearl and Marina (in their Expansion outfits) in it, as well as Captain Cuttlefish and an unconscious Agent 3. The lights would change based on the background music."

My main reason for wanting this stage is how unorthodox it is. In all of smash history I think some of my favorite stages were the Trophy Tussle stages in Melee. While this is a little different, I can see this having a very similar feeling, playing on a statue and all. It helps that the NILS Statue also a real location, being the climax and finale of the Octo Expansion. That being said the entire Octo Expansions has such a cool aesthetic that I don't see myself being disappointed with whichever stage we do end up voting in.

1621607878411.png
1621607892052.png
1621607946128.png

Also Vaporwave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcr7mPAsiQ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom