• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
He doesn't seem to win but I kinda low key hope Max Brass gets another chance someday. Idk I just kinda like his design. I was a "Brass Bro" during the ARMS fighter waiting period.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
sorry lol it's so much to read
Yeah, this project will require some level of time commitment to read up and understand everything if you are new and need to catch up. Fortunately, the information is compiled neatly in the wikis/front page posts, the staff are more than willing to help you get up to speed, and there are usually buffer days or weeks between adding new characters where we add other things like stages, spirits, movesets, etc.

If you have any further questions that aren't covered in the wikis/front page posts, most of the users here are more than happy to help sort out any misunderstandings.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will be closing up voting on the next hour or so, time permitting, and will renounce announce the results of our new newcomer! Adding newcomers always feels like Christmas to me!

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'm gonna post something real quick so Venus doesn't legally double post.

Did you know that Pyra being heavier than Mythra in Smash is actually an observant reference to the scene in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 where Rex accidentally called Pyra fat. This causes her to get all flustered and Nia calls Rex a big baka.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
You know honestly, this may be dumb fanfic forum game but I gotta admire how we're treating it like a serious project and like if we actually had coders and a talented design team, I feel like the head guys have some good leadership skills, enough they could maybe make a real vidya game.
Nintendo, HIRE THIS THREAD

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Voting is now closed

However, I do have some sad and unfortunate news that, well, makes me a bit disappointed. The user, sakret, was banned due to being an alternative account as identified by the administrative team. I want to move forward from this situation so please don’t ask who it was as the moderating team won’t be releasing that information. I will be removing the tallies from sakret due to being a fraudulent ballot so the following votes will be affected:

Porky Minch: 25
Max Brass: 18
Edelgard: 9

I apologize for this mix up and I will be more proactive in ensuring votes are correctly tallied and that each vote is credible.

That being said, our winner is DJ Octavio with 27 total votes! It was a really hard up-hill-climb and this last minute voting issue made it partially difficult but we hope we can move forward with this submission. We will be launching a moveset submission period within the next hour or so.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

(Someone already submitted Galacta Knight but I was already typing this so I'm posting it anyway)
Job #85: Galacta Knight: The Greatest Warrior in the Galaxy!

Series Prominence:
Galacta Knight made his first appearance in Kirby Super Star: Ultra as the Final Boss of Meta Knightmare Returns Ultra. Instead of Fighting Marx, Meta Knight makes his wish to the Galactic Nova to grow stronger, and The Greatest Warrior in the Galaxy is summoned. Galacta Knight would make later appearances as a boss in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Kirby Planet: Robobot, Kirby Star Allies, and Super Kirby Clash. Even in games where he isn't a boss, such as in Kirby Triple Deluxe and Kirby Battle Royale, he still makes a cameo as a Rare Keychain and Costume respectively. Two new forms were even introduced in his most recent appearance in Super Kirby Clash, Light Aeon Hero and Dark Aeon Hero showing HAL values and has a future for this character. Galacta Knight now has a cemented role in the Kirby series as the hidden overpowered final boss, making possibly the most appearances in Modern Kirby only behind that of the main cast.

Technically none of his battles are canon, all taking place in extra modes such as the True Arena, but the lore in his pause screens and his battle feats are canon. Galacta Knight is capable of traveling through space and time, controlling Light and Dark Matter, and casually destroying planets. Kirby is already considered by most to be the strongest character on the smash roster, but Galacta Knight would take the title from him. Lore wise it is suggested that he is one of the original four heros who came together to defeat Void Termina for the first time, but was later sealed by the ancients when he was deemed too great of a threat to be free.

For more info on Galacta Knight’s feats and lore check out this amazing video by WoolieVersus. It's informational as well as extremely well made and told in the form of a story. You seriously won’t regret it. (While the title and thumbnail is Morpho Knight, the video also covers Galacta Knight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np8x5jp578o

Galacta Knight is somewhat of a Rival to Meta Knight, originally being summoned by him, but has also fought the rest of the Kirby cast. His inclusion would fill the Kirby villain role in Smash, as although many still view Meta Knight and Dedede as Villians, true Kirby fans (aka Gigachads) will know that Meta Knight and Dedede have been reformed for quite a while. Most villains turn good by the end of a Kirby game, yet Galacta Knight is one of the few who continues to fight Kirby and co. after being defeated across multiple games. Galacta Knight would be able to fill the role of a Kirby Villain which an element which is unfortunately missing from the current roster.

Additionally Galacta Knight would help bring more modern Kirby content. While we’ve attempted to address the disparity between Sakurai Kirby Content and Modern Kirby Content through Bandana Dee (although technically Bandana Dee did originate in Super Star) and other inclusions, more modern Kirby content is always welcomed.

Smash Prominence:
Galacta Knight even has a prominent role in Smash. He was one of few unlockable trophies in Smash 4, and his unlock box on the challenge wall was one of the few unlocks of which Golden Hammers were unable to be used upon. Meta Knight also received a Galacta Knight skin in Smash 4, which was later expanded upon in Ultimate to be even more of a direct reference. Galacta Knight is also a spirit in Ultimate, being a Legend Class and the strongest primary spirit in the entire game (only behind Galeem and Darkon). Meta Knight's Galacta Knight skin would likely need to be replaced, but that's not a huge issue.

Function as an Echo:
Galacta Knight could function as an Identical Echo to Meta Knight, as he is capable of all the same moves as Meta Knight, but could also bring some differences to set him apart. He could be slower but heavier and stronger stat wise, to reference the fact that Galacta Knight is indeed, the Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy. (although its debatable whether or not that title now goes to Meta Knight based on a pause screen description from Triple Deluxe. In case you haven't caught on Kirby Lore is extremely complicated)

Galacta Knight also has potential to be a more unique echo. Most of his boss moves are too overpowered to work in smash, but I can see his sword projectiles working as a side B. His sword beams could even be added to the end of his jab when at 0% similar to Link's Forward Smash. The multi hit functionality of Meta Knight’s Tornado in Brawl could also return to add another minor difference. Finally, his Final Smash could feature a transformation into Morpho Knight, The Knight of Doom, as he releases “Judgement Day” (the official term) onto his opponents.

Potential Issues Addressed:
Now let me address some potential qualms about his inclusion. While we’ve already gotten a Kirby rep in the Form of Bandana Dee, Ridley and Dark Samus show that it’s possible to get a newcomer and an echo from the same series in the same game, so his inclusion shouldn’t be an issue. He also has a Lance instead of a Sword, which may seem like an issue at first, but he uses it as a sword Identically to Meta Knight in his boss battles. His shield is also largely a visual element; none of his attacks or mechanics utilize it as far as I’m aware. Some of you may remember as well that Galacta Knight was added as a background cameo to the Fountain of Dreams stage, but Venus has already mentioned that added cameos don't disqualify.
https://smashboards.com/threads/ultimate’s-sequel-super-smash-bros-infinite-project.510119/post-24295059

More Gushing about Galacta Knight:
His main theme is a heavy metal theme. Which goes extremely hard. In a Kirby game of all things. This alone should convince you on his inclusion. I’ve already added his theme to our project whenever we were doing Kirby music with Bandana Dee, but if you would like to do your ears a favor feel free to listen to it one more time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MpIVIOKNLU

His alt ideas also write themselves with the various other Knights in the Kirby series, such as Meta Knight, Dark Meta Knight, Mecha Knight, Stock Mecha Knight, Morpho Knight, Morpho Knight EX ,and Parallel Meta Knight, as well as his Aeon Hero concept art designs some of which are quite fashionable imo.

He also has plenty of fanmade Smash renders as well as official art so his fighter spirit and alternate art would be no problem.

This is more of a personal reason but I’ve also got over a list of over 50 Kirby characters who are just asking to be made into spirits so vote Galacta Knight so I can add these pleeeeease
Yarn Kirby
Tankbot
Yin-Yarn
Me-Devil
Kirby Clash classes
Hypernova Kirby
Drawcia
Drawcia Soul
Clay Kirby
Claycia
Shadow Kirby
Dark Nebula
Necrodeus
Squeak Squad
UFO
Chilly
Gim
Broom Hatter
Grizzo
Leafan
Noddy
Parasol Waddle Dee
Sailor Waddle Dee
Bio Spark
Sir Kibble
Wheelie
Beanbon
Beetley
Dribble
Vividria
Kabula
Acro
Ice Dragon
Paint Roller
Fatty Whale
Lololo & Lalala
Galactic Nova
Mecha Kracko
Gigavolt
Star Dream
Nova
Dark Taranza
Parallel Nightmare
Buff Dedede
Shadow Dedede
Moon Warriors
Moon Warriors Waning & Waxing
Lor Starcutter
Aeon Hero Light
Aeon Hero Dark

And Finally some Dope Galacta Knight fan art to feast your eyes upon.

Fighter #92: Grovyle (& Celebi?) Join the Battle!
View attachment 312731View attachment 312734
Who are they?:
Grovyle:

Grovyle is the middle evolutionary stage of the Treecko line, evolving from Treecko at level 16 , and into Sceptile at level 36. The Treecko line is the grass starter from the Hoenn region, and is received from Professor Birch after rescuing him from a dastardly Poochyena. Grovyle has accompanied many players throughout the middle gyms of the Hoenn region, and Ash even had one in the anime. The Sceptile line was one of the few starter lines to receive a mega, and was also added into Sword and Shield via the Crown Tundra update despite other generations' starters still not being present.

Celebi:
Celebi is the mythical time traveler / Guardian the Ilex Forest, making her debut in the generation two games. After only being available through events, Celebi joined Deoxys and Magearna as a non time sensitive mythical, being catchable in the Virtual Console version of Pokémon Crystal in in 2018. This also marked the first instance of her shiny being obtainable through legal methods. Shiny Celebi even features in the most recent Pokémon movie alongside Zarude.

What Can they do?:
Grovyle:
Leaf Blade, Bullet Seed, Leaf Storm, etc.

Celebi:
Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Future Sight, etc.

Why Should they be included?:
because they are cool pokemon. Why should they be included together you ask? They are both grass types. duh. Why should Celebi be shiny? because pink is cool. obviously.

Thank you for reading my totally legitimate and authentic submission, vote Grovyle (& Celebi)?

View attachment 312770Fighter #92: Grovyle (& Celebi?) Alter the Future! View attachment 312769

View attachment 312725View attachment 312726

With the fake submission out of the way, let's get into the real submission! (The reason I'm putting Celebi in parentheses and with a question mark is because if this submission wins, we will vote on how much presence Celebi will have in the moveset and whether she will actually get a spot in the fighter name.)

My actual submission is indeed Grovyle (& Celebi?); However, it is specifically their Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky incarnations. As opposed to these two's presence in the mainline series, Grovyle and Celebi are actual characters with established personalities, motives, and goals in the PMD: Explorers games. Their inclusion provides us a unique opportunity to add an actual character, rather than simply a random species of pokémon. Not only that, but it also provides us with the opportunity to represent a beloved series of games, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, which has received absolutely zero content in Smash Ultimate despite its status as one of the few non-Mario first party spinoffs to have multiple entries in the series and still be thriving today. In fact, the most recent title, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red & Blue Rescue Team DX came out just last year, and data from just 2 months after its release tells us that it has already sold over 1 million copies.

So, What exactly is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness & Sky?:
I'm sure everyone knows what Pokémon is, but Mystery Dungeon is slightly more obscure. (although to be fair practically every series is obscure compared to Pokémon). Mystery Dungeon is a series of dungeon crawling games, first developed by Spike Chunsoft with the debut title Torneko's Great Adventure in 1993. The series received a couple sequels before getting its first spinoff. This spinoff was not Pokémon themed, and instead centered around the Final Fantasy series, being Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon which came out in 1997. It was not until 2005 on the GBA and DS when the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game would come out; Red & Blue Rescue Team, which went on to sell 5.85 million units.

Two years later in 2007, a sequel was released; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness, and two years after that in 2009 an enhanced third version, PMD: Explorers of Sky, came out. These versions introduced generation 4 pokémon and are generally regarded to be the best in the series. They are also the highest selling in the series, selling a combined 6.37 million units. That's more than both the best selling Kirby and Fire Emblem games. While a Wiiware Japanese exclusive game, Gen 5 3DS game, Gen 6 3DS game, and a remake of the first game on switch have all come out since the release of Explorers, Explorers has maintained its fan favorite spot as the best in the series. If you go to IGN's review of it, in which they gave it a 4.9, you'll see thanks to the dislike ratio and comments just how much people love this game.

Why is Explorers so loved?
Now that you know what Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is, I'm sure you may be curious as to why representing the second game in the series makes more sense than repping the most recent title. It pretty much comes down to both sales and popularity, Explorers is the best selling game in the series as well as the most popular, so it makes the most sense to include first. However that's a bit of a boring explanation and doesn't explain any of the magic behind the Explorers games, so I'll dive a little deeper to fully explain why this game deserves to be repped in Smash.

Plot:
Unlike most Pokémon games, which aren't known for their groundbreaking plot, Explorers has writing deserving of an Oscar. It's an extremely impactful story, pushing many to tears at multiple moments, so be wary that the following synopsis contains spoilers.

The story starts off simple (relatively) with you, a human turned into a Pokémon with amnesia, and your partner Pokémon, who has a mysterious item called a relic fragment, joining and going on missions with Wigglytuff's Guild. However, you start to see visions of a mysterious Grovyle who we assume to be a villain. You go on a quest to stop Grovyle from stealing the time gears which would cause time to freeze, covering the world in eternal darkness. However he overpowers both you and the Lake Guardians, amassing more of the time gears. You're just out of luck, when a famous explorer, Dusknoir comes to help, claiming to also want to stop Grovyle from wrecking the future. At the Fogbound Lake, Dusknoir, with help from you and your partner, captures Grovyle and reclaims the time gears. It is here where Dusknoir reveals he and Grovyle are from the future, which while unexpected doesn't affect the plot all too much at face value. You return to the town square, and Dusknoir opens a portal to take Grovyle back to the future. Seems like the story is all but wrapped up.

But wait...

At the last second before the portal closes, Dusknoir grabs you and your partner dragging you through as well! This is the first of many plot twists. You, Grovyle and your partner wake up tied to pillars surrounded by Dusknoir and his army of Sableyes. Dusknoir reveals that he has been ordered by Dialga, who has gone crazy and is now called Primal Dialga, to eliminate the interferers (Grovyle, You, and your partner) to preserve the future. He also reveals that when you were a human, Grovyle was your partner Pokémon. Not only that but you two are from the future and were trying to restore time to a world overran with darkness. So as it turns out, Grovyle was trying to retrieve the Time Gears to restore time, and Dusknoir is actually trying to preserve a dark future as ordered to by an insane Primal Dialga! crazy, I know.

Grovyle, You and your partner escape for now, and with no other option team up with Grovyle, at least for now. Grovyle calls upon his time traveling friend, the Pink Celebi, whos status as a shiny is never acknowledged iirc, and Celebi sends you back to the past. You explain to the guild what Dusknoir has told you, and they reluctantly agree to help Grovyle. Now that they are back in the past, they must return the time gears to temporal tower to prevent Dialga from going crazy and freezing time. However, no one knows where Dialga is. After going on various missions you encounter an elder Torkoal who remembers the pattern of how to get to Dialga, and it is revealed that despite Wigglytuff's facade of ignorance, he is in fact an explorer prodigy. Wigglytuff is revealed to be familiar with the pattern presented by Torkoal, and Dialga's location, the Hidden Land, between worlds and time, which is accessible from Brine Cave, the origin of your partner's relic fragment.

You travel through Brine Crave, to the Hidden Land with the help of Lapras, and up the gauntlet that is the Temporal Tower. You're almost there. but Dusknoir appears and tries to stop you one last time. He almost takes you back to the future, but Grovyle hands over the time gear and pushes Dusknoir through his very own time portal, sacrificing himself to the future in the process. With Grovyle's sacrifice in mind, you finish the climb up the Temporal Tower, return the Time Gears, and Defeat Primal Dialga. Dialga is back to normal, and time will no longer be frozen in the future, and all is well.

But wait..

As you are from the future shrouded in darkness, which no longer exists thanks to you and your partner's effort, you begin to disappear in a truly tear jerking scene. We even get to see our partner mourn our loss and tell the guild about our disappearance.

The game lets you believe that you are gone permanently. for quite a while, which gives the scene impact, although Dialga does bring you back for your efforts, which allows for the post game to continue. and oh boy is there a post game story, one that even rivals the main story.

You go on various missions which seem to be the standard post game of any story. You meet a Scizor, raise a Manaphy egg, etc. but then you try to evolve. You can't. It is revealed that you and your partner are causing a space time distortion since you have been to the future and back preventing you from evolving, and you realize the plot isn't quite over yet. A local pokémon has a nightmare, which you enter with the help of a psychic pokémon to stop, like one of countless missions you've gone on. However, in this dream, Cresselia appears to you and explains that you and your partner must be eliminated or the world will return to darkness again, as you and your partner have created a rip in space time, and its slowly expanding. That night Cresselia appears in your dreams again and once again claims that you must die. You seek out Palkia to confirm this claim, but the night before your exploration he appears in front of you and kidnaps you in an attempt to eliminate you.

But wait...

It is revealed that the Battle against Palkia all occurred in a dream and was an attempt to eliminate you by Cresselia!

But wait...

Another Cresselia appears and exposes the fraud Cresselia as Darkrai! Cresselia has been tracking Darkrai, as he has been trying to destroy the world for ages. You then go to his lair and confront him. He explains himself. He wants to rule over a world of darkness, one obtainable by freezing time. It is explained that he is the force that caused Dialga to go insane, and he is the force which seperated you and Grovyle, giving you amnesia and turning you into a pokémon. He has been pulling the strings all along. After a treacherous battle, you defeat him and he opens another time portal attempting to escape. However, after he enters it, but before it closes, the real Palkia appears and shatters the portal with Darkrai inside it, ending him once and for all. Palkia reveals that the distortion caused by you and your partner is real, but that it is small enough for the god of space to fix, and he removes the distortion. All is well.

But wait...

Just kidding, the plot truly does end here.

Although...

While the main plot does end here, five special episodes are present within the game with their own mini plots relating to characters from the main story. Bidoof gets a wish from Jirachi, we see Wigglytuff's origins as an Igglybuff under the apprenticeship of an outlaw Armaldo, the cowardly Sunflora battles a Slugma and Haunter hoping to become friends with Loudred, and We see what Team Charm and Team AWD from the previous PMD game have been up to. Finally in the fifth mission we see what happens to Grovyle and Dusknoir as well as Celebi after they return to the future. They team up for now and defeat Primal Dialga in the future, vanquishing the darkness. However, as You and your partner have just defeated Dialga in the past, and the future they are in no longer exists, Grovyle, Celebi, Dusknoir, and Dialga all begin to disappear as they see their first and final sunrise. Another tear jerking scene.

(although they are all eventually brought back by "a being higher than [Dialga]" who is hinted to be Arceus.)

So suffice it to say, Explorers has an extremely deep plot that has touched the hearts of millions, as well as members in this thread such as myself, @Mr. Robotto, airConditioner airConditioner , and PeridotGX PeridotGX .

(also disclaimer I didn't remember most of the plot as I was watching Hoarders while playing the game so most of this was relearned from youtube summaries, so please excuse any inaccuracies)

Why Grovyle?:
So first of all if you read all of that, thank you. But second of all, you may also be wondering why Grovyle would get in over you, the protagonist. Well unlike most Pokémon games where you either pick a male or female trainer, here you get to pick one of various pokémon for both you and your partner pokémon. These include the gen 1-4 starters, Pikachu, Eevee, Riolu, and some less conventional options, Vulpix, Phanpy, Skitty, and Shinx. It is also possible for your partner to be Meowth or Munchlax, but the player character cannot be these two. Not only are there multiple pokémon which can be the protagonist, but the choice is even more personal than picking a starter in the mainline games. Rather than picking a pokémon from a professor, you take a personality quiz and are assigned a starter at the end of the quiz based on your answers. This is a cherished aspect of the PMD franchise, and picking one of the starters to be the rep over the other wouldn't be authentic to how personal the decision is. Furthermore, you don't speak in the game so there's that as well. So it really only makes sense that Grovyle would instead be the playable character in Smash, as the next most important character in the game.

Furthermore we don't have a standalone grass starter yet, but we do have a water and fire starter, so Grovyle would complete the trio. Nor do we have a gen 3 rep or a non clone gen 2 character, so Grovyle and a potential Celebi inclusion could fill those niches as well.

And Finally Grovyle could bring interesting mechanics to the table that no other pokémon rep could. As PMD has quite different gameplay to that of the mainline series, his moveset would reflect that. He would obviously use the various items present in the Mystery Dungeon series, such as Orbs, Seeds, and Wands, as well as Grass type moves, but could have gimmicks on top of those aspects as well. He could be a duo character with Celebi to represent the partner mechanic, he could have an inventory mechanic to represent item usage, and could even have a belly mechanic if balanced properly. If someone can make a time travel mechanic work, he could even use that due to Celebi's presence in his moveset. His Final Smash could involve sending his opponents to the future where they would be ravaged by Sableyes before being blasted by Primal Dialga. Or it could be a team attack from the Guild before being finished off by Wigglytuff's YOOM-TAH!! The moveset ideas here are truly endless.

Grovyle also made a cameo in Super Mystery Dungeon, requesting for you to rescue Pink Celebi, and being connected to Dusknoir and Mesprit on the connection orb, proving he is indeed the same Grovyle. Basically this just proves that Grovyle is not a one off character, not that there aren't one off characters in smash anyway.

What Could he Bring to Smash?:
Grovyle is further set apart from the other potential pokémon reps due to the nature of him bringing a whole spin off series with him. While all Pokémon generations are represented through spirits, pokéball mons, and music, regardless of having a fighter or stage, PMD has no such luxury. Grovyle would bring an amazing selection of music and spirits with his inclusion. Due to the nature of PMD having pokémon with actual characters, he could also bring the first pokémon assist trophy, potentially Wigglytuff or any other prominent PMD character. And who doesn't want a Primal Dialga boss.

Depending on how we go about it he could even get his own universe logo. On one hand the Luigi's Mansion universe doesn't have its own logo, but the PMD universe is entirely separate from that of the mainline universe, unlike the LM universe which is set in the same universe as the mainline Mario universe.

PMD even has its own official art style, which would set its spirits apart from that of the mainline pokemon spirits.

Kecleon Brothers
Pelipper
Kangaskhan
Team A.C.T.
Gengar

Grovyle & Celebi
Wigglytuff & Chatot
Igglybuff & Armaldo
Dusknoir & Sableye
Gengar & Ninetales
Team Charm
Team Skull
Primal Dialga

Dunsparce, Emolga, and Virizion
Kyurem
Hydreigon

Nuzleaf & Beheeyem
Goomy, Espurr, Deerling, Pancham, & Shelmet
Expedition Society
Krookodile (Definitely no bias here)

Q: Shouldn't we add a gen 8 mon?

A: Gen 3 and Gen 5 don't have reps, so not all gens need to be represented. Nor have a stage as shown by Incineroar not receiving a stage. Additionally, gen 8 was quite controversial thanks to dexit so, why not add a fan favorite from a beloved game instead? It's a good way to shake it up rather than just having the filler pokémon slot. Additionally, if the remake of Red & Blue Rescue Team and its sales are anything to go by, Explorers might just be getting remade next, so Grovyle would be perfect for that.

Q: Pokémon Spinoffs aren't in smash!

A: Detective Pikachu has a spirit, and Pikachu Libre is a skin. (I'm aware Pika Libre debuted in ORAS first). This argument also sort of works in his favor, as this means Grovyle has the opportunity to bring more new content than any other pokémon rep as his games are completely unrepresented.

Final Arguments for Grovyle:
1. We've yet to have a gen 3 pokémon
2. We've yet to have a standalone Grass Starter
3. Grovyle is an actual character as opposed to every other pokémon
4. Grovyle would bring basically a whole new series with him
5. PMD as a whole, but Explorers especially is criminally unrepresented
6. Grovyle has the opportunity for multiple unique mechanics
7. Celebi would be the first playable Shiny
8. Grovyle is cool as ****
9. Please (I'm begging you)

And I'll finish this submission off with a final quote from Grovyle:

View attachment 312797

(Please open the spoiler and read my actual submission)

(I know I said I wouldn't be doing a manifesto for the next job but there was a longer break between fighters than I thought there would be and I couldn't help myself.)
View attachment 315470Job #105: DJ Octavio D-D-D-Drops the Sea Bass!!!View attachment 315471

Who is DJ Octavio?
A good video game protagonist is nothing without their respective villain. Mario has Bowser, Donkey Kong has King K. Rool, Link has Ganondorf, Samus has Ridley, Fox has Wolf, Cloud has Sephiroth, and the list goes on. DJ Octavio is the Yin to the Inkling's Yang, being the head honcho behind the events of both Splatoon, and Splatoon 2. In the first game he develops an army of Octarians to rise up against the Bourgeoisie Inklings, and steals their zapfish to bring electricity to his people. While Cap'n Cuttlefish and Agent 3 are able to squash his attempts at revolution, and imprison him inside a snowglobe, he manages to somehow escape before the events of Splatoon 2. Agent 4 and Marie then discover that DJ Octavio, Callie, and the Great Zapfish are missing once again in the events of Splatoon 2 and go on another campaign to find them. With the help of the power of the Calamari Inkantation, Marie is able to free Callie from the control of DJ Octavio and his hypnoshades, and he is defeated and imprisoned once again. While DJ Octavio may not have the most complex role in the first two splatoon games, pieces of lore are hidden around the Splatoon universe which hint at a deeper significance for Octavio. Sunken Scroll #16 in Splatoon 1 shows that not only were Cap'n Cuttlefish and Octavio counterparts of sorts, but that Octavio also had a human form, being one of two confirmed male octarians to have a human form. DJ Octavio's return in Splatoon 2 suggests that not only will his backstory be expanded on in future installments, but that DJ Octavio is here to stay, and become the Inkling's main nemesis.

Presence in Smash:
DJ Octavio is present as an advanced primary spirit in Smash, with an enhanceable form, Octobot King (the name of him in his mech) also present as an ace primary spirit. Nothing outstanding about it, but Sakurai is more than aware of him, giving him two different spirits. His Splatoon 1 boss battle theme is also present as a music track in Ultimate. However, his splatoon 2 boss theme is not, which is a real shame. It's one of my favorite themes in all of splatoon. The theme when his boss battle starts to turn in your favor in Splatoon 2 is also not present, which again is a massive shame. So while he definitely has presence in Ultimate, showing his significance, there's plenty more to add to justify his inclusion.

Furthermore, his octarian army is very lacking in the spirit department. The standard Octoling Grunt (different than the playable Boy and Girl) is the only one of his units present, so we could properly represent the Octarian side of splatoon with his inclusion, and the spirits that come alongside him.

Function in Smash as a Heavy Weight:
DJ octavio is his octopus form may not qualify for the class of heavyweight, but this is where one of his greatest strengths come in. Like in both Splatoon Boss Battles, DJ Octavio would fight from within his mech, giving him not only the weight required for this job, but uniqueness to set him apart from other heavy set fighters. DJ Octavio would have a weight of 125 placing him below King Dedede and Donkey Kong, but above Ganondorf. Obviously his mech would be quite heavy, but due to its nature of levitation it wouldn't be as heavy as possible. Most of the current super Heavies fight mainly with their fists/claws or standard weapons, like King Dedede, but DJ Octavio would fight in a very different manner, using his mech to throw missiles and bombs, send out spinning fists, potentially summon octarians, and other mech related activities. DJ Octavio however still has the ability to attack opponents himself, utilizing his wasabi sticks to spice up the battle, in potential attacks like Pummels, Tilts, and Aerials.

What's that? You don't think the Octobot King alone gives DJ Octavio enough unique attributes? Well, worry no more, as there's quite a simple solution at hand. Given DJ Octavio is the general of the Octarian army, it makes sense that he would be able to modify his mech in a smash appearance to incorporate attacks done by all the other bosses in the Splatoon series as well. Want bread attacks? The Octo Oven's got you covered. Need a unique recovery? The Octo Shower's got you covered. Want Spin attacks? The Rampaging Octowhirl's got you covered. Needless to say across every Octarian Boss found across both of Splatoon's campaign, DJ Octavio has more than enough moveset potential.

Do We Really Need another Splatoon character?

Splatoon is one of Nintendo's most valued recent IP's, and our selection of fighters should reflect that. While we've added an echo fighter from Splatoon in the form of Octoling, we still only have one fighter, one assist, and one stage from the series. DJ Octavio would be a villain from the series as well, setting him apart from Inkling and Octoling, and representing the enemy faction of the Splatoon series. Furthermore, Splatoon has even joined the ranks of Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing as an S tier Nintendo franchise, as shown by this promotional art for the official Nintendo Tokyo store. Splatoon is even maintaining a strong presence on the switch, with a full fledged sequel, Splatoon 3, announced in the last Nintendo Direct. The announcement was also the closer for the direct, which is an honor shared by other prestigious games such as BotW 2 and Smash fighter reveals. The Splatoon series as a whole has also already sold more than the Star Fox, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles, and soon to pass the Metroid series, with Splatoon only having 2 games under its belt.

His Mech is too big!!!!

While I agree that if carried over directly from Splatoon his mech wouldn't make for the best fighter, it doesn't have to be transferred over one to one. As Shown with Ridley fighters can be shrunk down, and other fighters such as Dedede show that smash incarnations of characters are capable of having unique elements. DJ Octavio himself wouldn't even need to be shrunk down, only his mech, which can be explained as him making a new mech for Smash. Bowser Jr. Shows that Mech characters are possible, and pieces of fan art like this one show that DJ Octavio specifically can work in a mech as well.

Wouldn't He be to similar to Min Min?

While DJ Octavio's Mech does have extending spring Arms, not unlike the ones found in the ARMS universe, he wouldn't have to rely on these, or even use them for hardly any attacks at all. The Boss Battles and Mechanics found in the Splatoon universe provide more than enough potential for DJ Octavio to not have to be Min Min 2.0. I see his fists being used for a grab, and possibly one standard attack, and thats really all that would need to be present, since he has lots of other moveset potential to pull from. Furthermore, given that he would be operating with a new mech, it wouldn't beu nreasonable to nerf the distance that his mech's fist extended, making the comparison to Min Min almost null in the first place.

There aren't enough Ink Colors left to set him apart from Inkling and Octoling!

First of all, there most definitely are enough ink colors. Additionally, since DJ Octavio doesn't transform, presumably wouldn't have an ink meter, and wouldn't be representing the Turf War side of splatoon, he may not even need an ink mechanic as versatile as Inkling and Octoling have in the first place. It would be up to whoever designs the moveset to determine how much ink is involved in his moveset, but I don't see running out of ink colors as a limiting factor for Octavio's inclusion.

Final Arguments:
1. Splatoon is an extremely profitable and relevant IP
2. Splatoon only has one unique fighter compared to lesser selling series like Star Fox and Fire Emblem, which have 3 and 6 (soon to be 7) unique fighters respectively
3. DJ Octavio's mech would set him apart from other super heavyweights in terms of both play style and appearance
4. We've yet to have a newcomer villain (unless you count Waluigi), and Splatoon is possibly the biggest first party series left without an antagonist playable.
5. He's a dubstep using Octopus DJ (need I explain myself further?)

Cool Fanart:
View attachment 315504
Vote cool Octopus man
Hmmm...I’m sensing a pattern here.
0DA701E4-61C3-4B27-9ADC-FA1522409711.png

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Job #106: Submit a Moveset for DJ Octavio

With the internet reeling from DJ Octavio’s reveal, everyone is wondering just how this music-oriented baddie from Splatoon would actually play! We all know he is a heavyweight so he would act like that but what sort of moves would he have?!

In your submission, please indicate what kind of play style he would have aside from being a heavyweight, any particular gimmick, and his normal moves along with his Special Moves and Final Smash. This also includes tilts, smashes, aerials, throws, etc. Submitting in-depth moveset submissions seems to help gain votes so try aiming for that. Being descriptive in your moveset helps us visualize just how he would look and act.

You don’t have to include misc info such as taunts, victory screens, and Classic mode routes yet. Just the moveset.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Hmmm...I’m sensing a pattern here.
He's on to me.... Krookodilian used Escape Rope!

Jokes aside, I am very grateful to get some of my picks in back to back to back. I had my doubts about each three winning before submitting them so I've gotta say its quite surreal. I think I've said this after the other two got in but I really can't complain about who else gets in after this point. Splatoon, Kirby, Mario, and Pokémon, all of my favorite nintendo series besides smash, have gotten at least one new fighter, or two in the case of Kirby and Splatoon so this truly is a dream roster for me, with many more slots to go. (Plus DLC!!!)

That being said, I'm aware that this is Smashboards develops Smash Infinite and not Krook develops Smash Infinite, so while I'll be submitting content for most of Octavio's complementary content, I'm thinking I'll sit out for at least the next fighter job. However, those who enjoy my sleep deprived writeups worry no longer, I will instead be going back and doing write ups for some of our already voted in characters probably staring with Bandana Dee. So whenever he gets plopped in the next round of submissions that's why. I can promise ones for Octoling and Waluigi as well, although my knowledge on the other characters submitted starts to wane after those fighters.

Finally I'd like to again to shoutout the power of the manifesto which is reflected by these characters winning, as well as Felix getting second in an echo round, and Max Brass getting third in this round. It's truly a pleasure to read about everyone's favorite characters so I can't encourage writeups more, especially with the discussion period allowing for some more character specific discussion. Looking forward to the next round more than ever!

Also a reminder that subspace enemy spirits are open since we haven't gotten any so far

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
With the DJ of Octos coming to Smash, we need to deal with a Splatoon stage. I had intended to do this later during a stage submission round but Octavio won so be we are. At the top of the thread is a poll that will have four options. Please choose one. This will decide how we will do a Splatoon stage.

1. Submit a Splatoon 2 stage
2. Submit a Octo Expansion stage
3 Submit a Splatoon 3 stage based on the information we have currently
4. Submit a Splatoon 3 stage but showcase it at a later date during development (around November; currently April in our project ). This give us time to know more about Splatoon 3 but feels a bit weird to not include it with Octavio.
5. we don’t need another Splatoon stage.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My vote went to number 3. While we still don't know a ton about Splatoon 3, I feel like we can easily still piece something together from the reveal trailer. The Wasteland area seems like a pretty obvious and major front runner.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I voted for the wait for more info one as I feel like having a broader scope of what the hell is going on in that game could give us more unique ideas, I wouldn't have voted for it if E3 wasn't 3 weeks away.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
I do believe a Splatoon 3 stage would be interesting, but based on what we see so far, it seems like it's going to be a wasteland. That being said, we already have a decent amount of wasteland stages or those adjacent to that type of concept.

On the other hand, Octo Expansion has already been out for a good amount of time and has a concept that we haven't explored in Smash yet - that being a retro concept. However, this concept is less of a video game retro and more of a cultural retro, calling back to the 80's era. With many of its stages named after iconic songs from this era and visuals harking back to this era through backgrounds, items, and obstacles, I believe Octo Expansion would be the best choice. It would be amazing having a vaporwave stage in Smash Bros., and Octo Expansion would be the perfect way to add one.

Paraster

Smash Lord
DJ Octavio Moveset Submission

Intro

DJ Octavio rides around in the Octobot King Mini, a version of his floating DJ table that is much smaller to accommodate Smash. (He may not like it, but not getting into Smash is a bigger blow to his ego than his cool robotic DJ weapon being smaller.) Below, see a very rough and quickly-made mockup for how much smaller the Mini would be.
octavio smash small.png

Octavio and the Mini together would be about the same size as Bowser, maybe slightly larger. Since the Octobot King can hover, his air mobility is better than other heavyweights.

With my moveset, Octavio plays something like a heavyweight zoner, with multiple projectiles and disjoints. However, his attacks tend to be slow and easy to dodge. His best bet is to overwhelm opponents by clogging space with his specials, then moving in to land powerful punches.

Regular Attacks

Neutral attack: A two-hit jab where Octavio swings the Mini around to hit with one fist, then swings it in the other direction to hit with the other fist.

Dash attack: The Mini jets forward by blasting ink out the back. This "exhaust" can apply the ink effect, but not the charge itself from the front.

Side tilt: Octavio shoots an inky soundwave out of the Mini's speakers/projectile launchers on the front of it. This attack is a multi-hit and can apply the ink effect.

Up tilt: Octavio swings the Mini upward, causing one of its fists to be flung upward like a flail.

Down tilt: Octavio shoots a short barrage of ink low to the ground. This effect can apply the ink effect, and covers the ground with ink that slows opponents (like Inkling's Splat Roller).

Side smash: Octavio extends one of the Mini's fists outward in an attack that resembles one of Min Min's punches.

Up smash: Octavio tilts the Mini upward, then releases an explosion of ink diagonally up. This attack can apply the ink effect.

Down smash: Octavio extends one of the Mini's fists out as he swings the Mini in a circle, causing the fist to sweep along the ground (hitting in front, then back, then front, then back before the attack ends).

Neutral aerial: Octavio spins the Mini in several circles.

Forward aerial: Octavio extends one of the Mini's fists out--this is faster, but weaker than his side smash.

Back aerial: Octavio releases an explosion of ink out the back of the Mini. This attack can apply the ink effect.

Up aerial: Octavio does a backflip with the Mini as he charges the bottom if it with electricity.

Down aerial: Octavio prods the Great Zapfish (or whatever other power source is stuffed in there) to release a burst of electricity below the Mini.

Grab: Octavio extends one of the Mini's fists outward, albeit after opening it so he can grab hold of an opponent. Effectively, it's a tether grab.

Pummel: Octavio tightens the fist's grip.

Forward throw: Octavio pulls the opponent closer and hits them with a burst of ink. This attack can apply the ink effect.

Back throw: Octavio does a 540-degree spin and throws the opponent behind where he was facing.

Up throw: Octavio throws the opponent upward, then quickly punches them upward with the same fist.

Down throw: Octavio throws the opponent into the ground, then smashes the Mini down into them.

Specials

Neutral special: Octorpedos
Octavio launches 1-4 projectiles that fly slowly, but have large explosion hitboxes, very powerful contact hitboxes, and mild homing properties. The attack can be charged; charging does not increase damage but does affect how many torpedoes are fired. The torpedoes can apply the ink effect.

Side special: Octo Bomb
Octavio launches an octopus-shaped bomb (one smaller than the ones he uses in his Splatoon 1 battle) arcing through the air. It explodes when hitting an opponent or a surface, but can be exploded early by hitting side special again. The explosion can apply the ink effect. The player can influence its arc by holding up or forward during the startup.

Up special: Ink Thrusters
Octavio activates thrusters below the Mini that shoot streams of ink to push it upward. Behaves like R.O.B.'s Robo Burner, but the ink stream is actually a short-range, low-damage hitbox that can apply the ink effect.

Down special: Octo Geyser
Octavio launches a gravity-affected projectile--a ball with a tentacle sticking out of it--forward. When it lands on the ground, it lingers for a couple seconds before erupting into a vertical geyser of ink. However, the projectile can be destroyed before this happens. If the projectile itself hits an opponent before the ground, it just does a little bit of damage. The geyser can apply the ink effect.

Final Smash: Killer Wail
Octavio unleashes his own version of the Inkling's Killer Wail. The main difference is that since the attack comes from the Octobot King Mini itself and not an external megaphone, it behaves more like other "huge laser" Final Smashes (like Zero Laser or Full Blast).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
of the poll options I went with an Octo Expansion stage, but I think it would've been best to just accept stages from the entire Splatoon series.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I’ve never touched a Splatoon game in my life and plan not to. No longer having a Switch is one factor obviously but also because the game doesn’t really interest me. But I have a few questions concerning DJ Octavio:

1) Theoretically how big is he compared to the rest of the cast. Please use approximate sizes compared to other characters.
2) Why does he have wasabi plants?
3) How iconic of a villain is he? He’s in Splatoon 2, correct?

Paraster

Smash Lord
So I’ve never touched a Splatoon game in my life and plan not to. No longer having a Switch is one factor obviously but also because the game doesn’t really interest me. But I have a few questions concerning DJ Octavio:

1) Theoretically how big is he compared to the rest of the cast. Please use approximate sizes compared to other characters.
2) Why does he have wasabi plants?
3) How iconic of a villain is he? He’s in Splatoon 2, correct?
1) Here's an image of Octavio's appearance in Splatoon 2 (spoiler warning), with Callie, an Inkling slightly taller than the playable ones on top to provide some size perspective. (In addition, when beaten in both games, he gets stuffed in a snow globe where his size can be directly compared to the playable Inkling, though he seems to shrink a little.)

2) Apparently, Octavio was originally planned to be a wasabi chef before he was changed to a DJ, so him using wasabi is presumably a relic of/reference to that. (Also, it's funny to see him use wasabi in DJing.)

3) While he doesn't have much physical presence in the games, he's a major force behind their stories and the final boss in both story modes thus far (the base games; he doesn't physically appear in Octo Expansion at all). He's also fairly beloved among the fans, with his music being well-liked and his boss fight in the first game in particular being hailed by some as one of Nintendo's best final bosses.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
He's on to me.... Krookodilian used Escape Rope!

Jokes aside, I am very grateful to get some of my picks in back to back to back. I had my doubts about each three winning before submitting them so I've gotta say its quite surreal. I think I've said this after the other two got in but I really can't complain about who else gets in after this point. Splatoon, Kirby, Mario, and Pokémon, all of my favorite nintendo series besides smash, have gotten at least one new fighter, or two in the case of Kirby and Splatoon so this truly is a dream roster for me, with many more slots to go. (Plus DLC!!!)

That being said, I'm aware that this is Smashboards develops Smash Infinite and not Krook develops Smash Infinite, so while I'll be submitting content for most of Octavio's complementary content, I'm thinking I'll sit out for at least the next fighter job. However, those who enjoy my sleep deprived writeups worry no longer, I will instead be going back and doing write ups for some of our already voted in characters probably staring with Bandana Dee. So whenever he gets plopped in the next round of submissions that's why. I can promise ones for Octoling and Waluigi as well, although my knowledge on the other characters submitted starts to wane after those fighters.

Finally I'd like to again to shoutout the power of the manifesto which is reflected by these characters winning, as well as Felix getting second in an echo round, and Max Brass getting third in this round. It's truly a pleasure to read about everyone's favorite characters so I can't encourage writeups more, especially with the discussion period allowing for some more character specific discussion. Looking forward to the next round more than ever!

Also a reminder that subspace enemy spirits are open since we haven't gotten any so far
If you don't mind me stroking your ego a bit more, I will say that personally I have very much appreciated your writeups. I think that they set the bar for how people should approach character submissions going forward. And your recent manifestos, especially the most recent one, have led to some of the most interesting and surprising newcomers. I had barely even thought about the idea of DJ Octavio being playable, yet it took one post to fully convince me that he was one of the best newcomer options out there. That's pretty epic.

Here's the newcomer banner. I've been messing with the format a lot lately because SmashBoards doesn't seem to appreciate how large this image is getting. After reorganizing and resizing the image multiple times, I thought that this looked pretty good.

Attachments

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
DJ Octavio Moveset

--Appearance--
Octavio is smaller and is in a miniature version of Octobot King 1

Octavio and the lights on the Octobot king will bounce around to the current BPM of the song that is playing.

--Stats--

Weight: 125

Fall speed: Same as DDD

Air Speed: Same as DDD

Initial Dash: Same As DK

Run Speed: Same As DK

--Basic Attacks--

Jab: He punches with his mech's right arm and punches with the left, this functions like a slower version of Villager's Jab

Side tilt: A Slap with the mechs hand

Up tilt: Octavio hits jumps out of his mech and stabs with his large Kabuto Helmet

Down tilt: One of the mechs hands slaps the ground

Dash Attack: The mech spins around

Side Smash: Octavio Extends his left hand in a jet of ink, if the smash attack is fully charged the attack inks the opponent, the ink is not tied to a meter

Up Smash: Octavio sends out a giant Disco ball tentacle bomb upwards that inks opponents that are hit

Down Smash: Octavio spins around with the hands on the mech stretched out

Neutral air: Octavio scratches his turntables causing a damaging shockwave

Forward Air: The mech's hand chops downwards

Back Air: An Ink laser shoots out of the back of Octavios mech

Up Air: Octavio swings his head, hitting opponents with his Kabuto

Down Air: Octavio summons an Octostamp and rides it down into the ground, This is a stall and fall.

--Specials--

Neutral: Octotorpedo: Octavio fires an Octotorpedo that have heat seeking properties and deal explosive damage when it comes in contact with a solid surface or an opponent, You can fire 4 at a time until it has to cool down, the cool down timer takes form as the light rings around the holes where they come out from.

Side: Takoyaki Tornado: Octavio throws out a giant piece of Takoyaki, It lays on the ground for a second or 2 and if it isn't destroyed in that time it will create a large ink tornado

Down: Octarian: Octavio summons 1 of 3 octarians that can all be KO'd.
Octoball: This octarian will roll along the ground inking the floor, defeating this will cause it to explode
Tentakook: This octarian will run away from opponents inking the ground and dropping splat bombs on the ground.
Octobomber: This octarian will fly around throwing Splat Bombs at opponents.

Up: Fly Octo Fly: Octavio charges up a wall of ink and launches skyward, this ink wall does damage.

Final Smash: I Am Octavio.: Octavio uses a Killer wail to send opponents into a cutscene where the Octomaw, Octo Samurai and The Octonozzle along side many Octolings, they proceed to attack the opponents eventually the cutscene ends and the opponents are all inked and stunned.

--Grabs--

Basic grab: The Mech grabs the opponent as Octavio grabs his Wasabi sticks

Pummel: Octavio hits the opponent with a Wasabi stick

F-throw: Octavio's mech throws the opponent forwards

B-throw: Octavio's Mech detaches one of it's arms to throw the opponent backwards

U-throw: The Octomaw bites the opponent sending it upwards

D-throw: A Flooder is spawned dealing a lot of damage and inking the opponent as well as burying them.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Mind if I suggest a job which could be used later on very soon?
Job ???: Suggest a stage from a game/series that has no history with Nintendo
While I get what this may be appealing, how would doing this benefit the game? I can only see this idea being viable if we include a stage from a game with no history with Nintendo but under the pretext that it would receive a port a short time later. Otherwise, I don't see this working.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
While I get what this may be appealing, how would doing this benefit the game? I can only see this idea being viable if we include a stage from a game with no history with Nintendo but under the pretext that it would receive a port a short time later. Otherwise, I don't see this working.
I think I'd prefer to put in a fighter from a series with no Nintendo history first - I'm a huge advocate for PaRappa (or any PlayStation rep really, but PaRappa is my numero uno pick)

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Also, it’s harder to find a game/series that hasn’t had a game on a Nintendo console. Heck, even GTA had games on Nintendo consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom