• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Beyond

Which Rayman stage should we include?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
there is just one who could be Captain Rainbow,but i decided to don't have a newcomer on my submission for a theme of the festival because Superheroes video games are more used in 4th party like Marvel and DC
I don’t think you quite understand. There needs to be a newcomer affiliated with this festival.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Festival of Sports

A popular irl past-time. Alot of different options you can use for all sorts of content. Admitedly i do have some concerns like costumes being very Mario focused or our choices for a newcomer. Although maybe im underestimating what we can come up with. We do have several other options like the NES Sports lineup, Punchout, Wave Race, 1080, Excitebike, F-Zero?, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, & Arms off the top of my head also likely having some options for new content.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will be closing submissions in a little bit. Here are our current submissions:

View attachment 385957
Retro Arcadia
I think it is about time we have a retro-themed festival. This DLC hasn't had any new "retro" characters yet as so tying one to an arcade-themed festival would be a smart choice. This festival can reference Nintendo's arcade roots, with references to Nintendo's 80s classics like the original Donkey Kong and Mario Bros, and even some obscure games like Radar Scope. You could have some "classic" skins for various NES fighters, have a voice pack that replaces all sound effects with 8-bit noises, and even a CRT filter. As for new characters, they can either be characters originating from other retro Nintendo games, or Nintendo characters who haven't been around in a while and could be seen as retro in their own right. Foreman Spike, Bubbles, Stanley the Bugman, if you'll allow Rare properties maybe even allow the Battletoads as well, heck a good choice would be Jumpman from the classic Donkey Kong arcade games, whose moveset references Mario's retro routes.
View attachment 385959
Beauty of the Deep Sea
As opposed to the more pirate aesthetic of Shantae, this festival would be dedicated to the wonders of the deep sea...and perhaps some of its horrors. Sea life has barely been explored upon, but with this we can introduce one of many new characters that have been in Nintendo franchises related to the water since the NES. Be it the classic Blooper enemy from Mario to the ever-curious Diver from Endless Ocean to the gallant and ever-faithful Sidon from Zelda, Nintendo has had quite the fair share of aquatic wonders in its history.
Theme of The Festival: Festival of Superheroes

View attachment 385958

this festival is based on the genre Superhero Fiction who is too much popular by the nerds, this genre is also was used in video games (and some of them who weren't represented in Smash,who are Infamous ,PROTOTYPE ,Wonder Momo, Viewtiful Joe, Gravity Rush and others)

Content
  • 4 Mii Costumes (2 based on a video game-originated superhero series and 2 based on a non-video game originated series,Magical Girls and Tokusatsu Heroes are allowed too)
  • No stage variations
  • Spirits allowed (just characters from video game-originated superhero franchises)
  • Airships allowed
  • Speeders allowed
  • Shaders allowed
  • Pals allowed
  • Items allowed (it can't submit Kryptonite or Vibranium)
  • Effects allowed
  • Poses allowed
  • Costumes allowed
  • Colors are not allowed
  • New Dungeon allowed
  • Online Tournament allowed
The Oasis Festival

A Desert themed festival. Desert Oasis' can combine the tropical and water themed aspects alongside the heat, vibes and potential danger that comes with the hot endless sand. Deserts are one of the most common game themes for a reason as so much can be done with them. and Nintendo is no stranger to Deserts.
2000s Festival

View attachment 385961

Personal bias, the 2000s is my favorite era of Nintendo and can provide a fun festival theme. Potential for newcomers can range from anyone from the GameCube, GBA, Wii, or DS era. Lots of choices there. Nintendo is no stranger to providing references to their hits from the 2000s. Imagine all the fun 2000s-era inspired costumes we can provide to other characters for sure. Similar to what GlubbFubb proposed for his Retro Arcadia filter...we could even have a CRT filter. Potential fighters can include Jill from Drill Dozer, Doshin the Giant, The Diver from Endless Ocean, a Cubivore, etc.
Festival of Sports

A popular irl past-time. Alot of different options you can use for all sorts of content. Admitedly i do have some concerns like costumes being very Mario focused or our choices for a newcomer. Although maybe im underestimating what we can come up with. We do have several other options like the NES Sports lineup, Punchout, Wave Race, 1080, Excitebike, F-Zero?, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, & Arms off the top of my head also likely having some options for new content.
Remember that we will need to be adding a first party character for this kind of job.

I will keep submissions open for a while longer.

Next, I forgot to remove votes since I botched up our last voting for a Deltarune Mii Costume and Undertale Assist Trophy

We will be voting for these again along with the Festival Theme

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Alright *******, Venus here to drop some mad truths. All your stuff.... it's tots bad. Like, my gosh, horrible. Bland. Horribland so listen up, to what I have to say. cuz I got a legit straight-up fire idea.

The Smash Gala
1709685842850.png

Clad your Mii's in their most fashionable clothes in this event of the century! All the latest fashions of the Mushroom Kingdom are on full display at the Smash Gala! The festival transforms the hub world into a world of luxury, fame, fashion, and glamour! Hot rod luxury cars, champagne towers, confetti tape, and gold everywhere! Rising high is the MVP of the hour: the Newcomer! Character's submitted to this festival exemplify luxury, fashion, prestige, status, or even the negative aspects of these. This newcomer brings to centerstage a flamboyant and creative fighting style that is sure to turn heads and leave people spinning!! Strut your stuff and show the world WHO IS BOSS in this high-power event of who is the top dog is the social ladder!

Snaps finger is a sassy way and drops a mic

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are our submissions!

• Retro Arcadia (Retro Theme with Retro-based Newcomer)
  • Beauty of the Deep Sea (Ocean theme with a water/ocean based newcomer)
  • Superhero Festival (themed after super hero antics with a superhero newcomer)
  • Oasis Festival (desert themed festival with a desert-based newcomer)
  • 2000s Festival (festival based on games from the 2000s with a newcomer from 2000s games)
  • Festival of Sports (a sporty festival with a newcomer that also uses athletics or motion)
  • Smash Gala (a luxurious festival with a newcomer that focuses on being flashy)
  • Future Fest (a scifi festival with a newcomer that comes from these tropes)
It is important to note that the newcomer that comes with this festival will be first party to help balance our second season lineup. In terms of what will be accepted, really anything as both Mario and Splatoon are back in business as is Pokemon. Ideally though, we can to keep things unique so another Squid Sisters type idea won't be allowed.

PLEASE GO HERE TO VOTE

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are the results for voting for a Deltune Rune Mii Costume and Undertale Assist Trophy

Name3 Points2 Points1 PointTotal
Tasuque Manager Mii Swordfighter0033
Kris Mii Swordfighter3 (9)2 (4)215
Susie Mii Swordfighter1 (3)1 (2)27
Ralsei Mii Mage2 (6)6 (12)018
Spamton Mask4 ()121 (2)317

We will be going with the top 2 submissions which are Ralsei and Sapmton...

Name2 Points1 PointTotal
Flowey2 (4)37
Dummy & Mad Dummy1 (2)13
Toriel2 (4)47
Undyne5 (10)212

Undne will be the Assist Trophy for Undertale

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are the results of our theme submissions!

Name5 Points4 Points3 Ppints2 Points1 PointTotal
Retro7 (35)01 (3)2 (4)1 43
Ocean01 (4)02 (4)614
Superhero001 (3)3 (6)110
Oasis03 (12)00214
2000's2 (10)3 (12)1 (3)02 (4)29
Sports1 (5)1 (4)01 (2)011
Gala02 (8)3 (9)0118
Future1 (5)1 (4)5 (15)3 (6)030

Sorry, I did not have any time to make it a surprise but our next festival theme will be based on Retro! This includes making the entire place look Retro while, this is something that Undertale did, it's taking all of the retro franchises that makes up Mario and making it into a type of Amusement Park.

That being said, we are obviously opening up newcomer submissions for a Retro character and, no, not the studio.

Submit a Character from a Retro Franchise

We will be submitting a newcomer from a franchise that is considered retro. This character can be from any first party series regardless if its a new series or not. In addition, past assist trophies and other previously visible content that was not included in Infinite Beyond's vanilla launch as new content is eligible. Looking at our listing, Parabo and Satebo along with EVR Racer is not eligible. When submitting your content please provide the name and picture of the series, series it comes from along with the date of debut and a write up why the character is deserving to be featured in our festival lineup.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
1709777783096.png

Mach Rider is the titular protagonist of the vehicular combat action game by Nintendo for the NES, first released in 1985. The game is set in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max-style landscape where the world is overrun by Quadrunners, which you can fight from your machine gun-toting motorcycle. Ever since its release, Mach Rider has been a point of interest, especially in its protagonist, who is either a man or a woman with some fans even merging the two together, as shown above. In Smash, Mach Rider has had some presence, with a Mach Rider song being in the games since Melee, Mach Rider him/herself being picked for the now-infamous Grinch Leak for Ultimate, and even Sakurai himself said he'd want to see Mach Rider in Smash because he/she had the best name.

In Smash Infinite Beyond, we can design Mach Rider the same way Sakurai designed Pit in Brawl, mainly making her a hypothetical scenario where Mach Rider continued as a series. So for this, I believe we should take what we know about the old Mach Rider and build on it to the point where it sounds like a feasible modern-day entry in the Mach Rider series. As for her playstyle, Mach Rider could be a vehicle-based character similar to Bowser Jr., but she can still fight without her motorcycle. Think how Gyro/Johnny work in Jojo All-Star Brawl.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
1709778149470.png
1709778415767.png
1709778438287.png

Foreman Spike
Wrecking Crew Franchise

Nintendo has had an odd history with this character, he was never really part of the company's history but he defiantly had his place. He of course debuted in Wrecking Crew, an 1985 arcade game, and mainly stuck to that game as his sole appearance. He did have some cameos in games like Mario Golf and Mario Maker as a Mystery Costume, but Wrecking Crew sorta had a renascence when Smash 4 came out. In Smash 4 Wrecking Crew got a stage based off of it, being a modernized recreation of the arcade game, however rather than being based on the Mario series like the Mario Bros arcade game, it was given its own series, the Wrecking Crew series. Spike would also enter the zeitgeist again due to his surprise appearance in the Super Mario Bros movie, exposing him to a new audience. With all that said, since Foreman Spike has been getting a resurgence lately, having him become a fully fledged fighter seems like a next evolution. While it wouldn't be likely that he will get a new stage unless we have a classic Wrecking Crew stage, Foreman Spike can sorta be a modernized link between Mario's modern portrayal and his roots as a hammer wielding carpenter. Utilizing the build of his movie counterpart while keeping the overalls of his original design, I think he can bring a good mix of old and new ideas to commemorate Nintendo's long history in the arcades, he could even utilize some moves based on Nintendo's past as a toy company, such as utilizing the Ultra Hand as a tether grab based off a crane. If Wario is the evil counterpart to modern Mario, Spike can be the evil counterpart to classic Mario, creating a unique dichotomy. In short, Nintendo has been aiming to modernize Spike and with the strange history he had and the new audience he can potentially get, having him included would be a good choice.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Character from a Retro Franchise: Alice (Balloon Kid)

BKManualAlice.png

Alice is the protagonist from a game called Balloon Kid who makes part from Balloon Fight, she is a little girl who is in a quest to save her little brother Jim.

And you will say "why are you submitted Alice instead Balloon Fighter?",well i think that Alice is a better choice as a Balloon Fight rep,also she is so forgotten character,Alice can be a fighter who have original attacks with balloons

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Starman (Pro Wrestling)
1709782809657.png

A natural born fighter, Starman is the clear most iconic character from NES Pro Wrestling, primarily due to the infamous "A Winner is You!" mistranslation which later become an early internet meme. But that's not the only reason he'd be a great fit. Despite the jank the game is remembered rather fondly by many who played it back in the day, and as a lucha libre wrestler, the moveset writes itself. He could be the inverse of Incineroar, with his moves spouting a more heroic persona as a face rather than a heel. He absolutely could be an echo or clone, but wrestling does have plenty of other types of attacks that Incineroar doesn't use.

I just think he's neat.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Doc Louis (Punch-out)

Little Mac's Trainer and a formidable boxer in his own right, Doc Louis has been with Mac and the series since the beginning.

Doc Louis could share a lot with Little Mac but he could also clearly do new stuff and could have some unique mechanics like the Star Punch.

Punch out is also one of those series that could easily have a lot more representation in Smash with the amount of varied characters. and Punch-out is also a symbol of the NES.

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
Mike Jones (StarTropics)

Mike Jones from StarTropics on X: [USER=408030]@tuyoki[/USER] It should be me, Mike Jones from  StarTropics. https://t.co/1M2Dw8eCpB / X

Mike Jones, the main protag of StarTropics, an american teenager who visits the tropical C-Island to see his uncle. But Mike finds out that his uncle is missing, so he sets out on a rescue mission, with his yo-yo as his weapon fighting threats like aliens. Interestingly, despite his origin being from Nintendo. His games was never released in Japan but with so many western reps being in Smash at this point. I think its fair to finally put Mike back into the spotlight and show the world what he can really do.

While his moves from the games may be similar to Ness's. He could instead be the reverse of Ness with his moveset being more focused on his hobbies-turned-weapons rather then psychic moves although he does have a Psychic Shockwave. His game even got into the Nintendo Switch Online service back in 2019 so he's not totally irrelevant in Nintendo's rader. It be cool to see an Nintendo rep created specifically for the west to get his chance to fight off with Nintendo's All-Stars.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Mike Jones (StarTropics)

Mike Jones from StarTropics on X: [USER=408030]@tuyoki[/USER] It should be me, Mike Jones from  StarTropics. https://t.co/1M2Dw8eCpB / X

Mike Jones, the main protag of StarTropics, an american teenager who visits the tropical C-Island to see his uncle. But Mike finds out that his uncle is missing, so he sets out on a rescue mission, with his yo-yo as his weapon fighting threats like aliens. Interestingly, despite his origin being from Nintendo. His games was never released in Japan but with so many western reps being in Smash at this point. I think its fair to finally put Mike back into the spotlight and show the world what he can really do.

While his moves from the games may be similar to Ness's. He could instead be the reverse of Ness with his moveset being more focused on his hobbies-turned-weapons rather then psychic moves although he does have a Psychic Shockwave. His game even got into the Nintendo Switch Online service back in 2019 so he's not totally irrelevant in Nintendo's rader. It be cool to see an Nintendo rep created specifically for the west to get his chance to fight off with Nintendo's All-Stars.
I like this one, aside from Foreman Spike I feel like Mike is the most "iconic" retro rep so I predict that they will be a bit neck to neck.

keleyeemoh

Smash Apprentice
Pauline (Super Mario? Donkey Kong? I could see an argument for either)

Before Peach, there was Pauline. Pauline debuted in 1981's Donkey Kong, which also featured the first appearances of two little characters named Mario and, well, Donkey Kong (or technically Cranky Kong). She originated as a damsel in distress for Mario to save, but went on to be so much more. As I said above, I could see her being a part of either the Mario or Donkey Kong series, due to her close connection with both.

After a long absence, she finally reappeared in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, where she goes from being kidnapped by Donkey Kong once again to, eventually, teaming up with him. Her next appearance is in Super Mario Odyssey, where she is now the mayor of New Donk City. Her popularity exploded after this, allowing her to appear in the Mario Tennis, Golf, Kart, and Strikers series (alongside Donkey Kong, of course).

Pauline is one of Nintendo's first iconic characters, even if most people didn't know her name back then. With her retro roots and relatively recent resurgence (I swear, that alliteration was completely accidental), this festival at this time feels like the perfect opportunity to add her to Smash.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Lip (Panel de Pon/Puzzle League)

Surprised we havent added a dedicated, unique (sorry Dr. Mario) Puzzle rep yet. An argument could be made for Arle but here are lots of great Sega reps she is up against. Series seems to show up every now & again, mainly crossing over with another ip seemingly moving on from Lip. This could make her a fun throwback with some relevancy imo. Her game consisted of elemental fairies which can not only enhance her puzzle based moveset but also give us plenty of spirits to pick from. Also think its noteworthy that the series got to use the Tetris name in the west.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)

IMG_2270.png

One of the last remaining Black Box Nintendo icons to join Infinite Beyond. Surprisingly, his game was never released in Japan and the game was deemed one of the worst in the Black Box collection. He could have a whole moveset based around the Light Zapper games and all that.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Tap Girl (Rhythm Heaven)

The first Rhythm Heaven released in 2006 on the GBA which seems more than retro enough. Tap Girl would be accompanied by a monkey and a Chorus Kid to pull off some rhythm based movesets. While we have Barista as the first Rhythm Heaven rep, Tap Girl is often seen as the mascot of the franchise and genuinely deserves to be represented in her own right.

Artwork 3DS Tap Trial.png
1709834838953.png

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Tap Girl (Rhythm Heaven)

The first Rhythm Heaven released in 2006 on the GBA which seems more than retro enough. Tap Girl would be accompanied by a monkey and a Chorus Kid to pull off some rhythm based movesets. While we have Barista as the first Rhythm Heaven rep, Tap Girl is often seen as the mascot of the franchise and genuinely deserves to be represented in her own right.

Artwork 3DS Tap Trial.png
View attachment 386077
While certainly an older series, this would classify as “retro”. The original prompt nor submission effectively dictates what is “retro” but we are generally looking at the NES era.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
While certainly an older series, this would classify as “retro”. The original prompt nor submission effectively dictates what is “retro” but we are generally looking at the NES era.
Would SNES, N64, or original Gameboy qualify? I have other submissions in mind but it depends on what exactly qualifies.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
OK then.....

Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)

Famicom Detective Club is a retro series that recently had remakes on the Switch giving them both retro qualities and modern relevance. Another visual novel representative would be nice to have to complement Phoenix as the genre is relatively underrepresented in Smash. The character was also one of the many retro reps considered for Melee, so there's that as well.

1709842061194.png

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Donkey_kong_jr_render_by_nibroc_rock-dax3k9c.png

DK JR
It's time to bring him back. He was once a character featured alongside the likes of Mario and Link in promo material and was even in the original Mario Kart. But he has since been replaced by his son (maybe? It's complicated). I think he should come back here. He would use attacks based on the retro DK games.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
So will we also have jobs for a retro assist trophy, item, and potentially boss for this festival, I imagine that it could be quite big for a festival.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are our submissions! Please let me know if I missed any...

Mach Rider is the titular protagonist of the vehicular combat action game by Nintendo for the NES, first released in 1985. The game is set in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max-style landscape where the world is overrun by Quadrunners, which you can fight from your machine gun-toting motorcycle. Ever since its release, Mach Rider has been a point of interest, especially in its protagonist, who is either a man or a woman with some fans even merging the two together, as shown above. In Smash, Mach Rider has had some presence, with a Mach Rider song being in the games since Melee, Mach Rider him/herself being picked for the now-infamous Grinch Leak for Ultimate, and even Sakurai himself said he'd want to see Mach Rider in Smash because he/she had the best name.

In Smash Infinite Beyond, we can design Mach Rider the same way Sakurai designed Pit in Brawl, mainly making her a hypothetical scenario where Mach Rider continued as a series. So for this, I believe we should take what we know about the old Mach Rider and build on it to the point where it sounds like a feasible modern-day entry in the Mach Rider series. As for her playstyle, Mach Rider could be a vehicle-based character similar to Bowser Jr., but she can still fight without her motorcycle. Think how Gyro/Johnny work in Jojo All-Star Brawl.
View attachment 386035View attachment 386037View attachment 386038
Foreman Spike
Wrecking Crew Franchise

Nintendo has had an odd history with this character, he was never really part of the company's history but he defiantly had his place. He of course debuted in Wrecking Crew, an 1985 arcade game, and mainly stuck to that game as his sole appearance. He did have some cameos in games like Mario Golf and Mario Maker as a Mystery Costume, but Wrecking Crew sorta had a renascence when Smash 4 came out. In Smash 4 Wrecking Crew got a stage based off of it, being a modernized recreation of the arcade game, however rather than being based on the Mario series like the Mario Bros arcade game, it was given its own series, the Wrecking Crew series. Spike would also enter the zeitgeist again due to his surprise appearance in the Super Mario Bros movie, exposing him to a new audience. With all that said, since Foreman Spike has been getting a resurgence lately, having him become a fully fledged fighter seems like a next evolution. While it wouldn't be likely that he will get a new stage unless we have a classic Wrecking Crew stage, Foreman Spike can sorta be a modernized link between Mario's modern portrayal and his roots as a hammer wielding carpenter. Utilizing the build of his movie counterpart while keeping the overalls of his original design, I think he can bring a good mix of old and new ideas to commemorate Nintendo's long history in the arcades, he could even utilize some moves based on Nintendo's past as a toy company, such as utilizing the Ultra Hand as a tether grab based off a crane. If Wario is the evil counterpart to modern Mario, Spike can be the evil counterpart to classic Mario, creating a unique dichotomy. In short, Nintendo has been aiming to modernize Spike and with the strange history he had and the new audience he can potentially get, having him included would be a good choice.
Character from a Retro Franchise: Alice (Balloon Kid)

View attachment 386039

Alice is the protagonist from a game called Balloon Kid who makes part from Balloon Fight, she is a little girl who is in a quest to save her little brother Jim.

And you will say "why are you submitted Alice instead Balloon Fighter?",well i think that Alice is a better choice as a Balloon Fight rep,also she is so forgotten character,Alice can be a fighter who have original attacks with balloons
Starman (Pro Wrestling)
View attachment 386040

A natural born fighter, Starman is the clear most iconic character from NES Pro Wrestling, primarily due to the infamous "A Winner is You!" mistranslation which later become an early internet meme. But that's not the only reason he'd be a great fit. Despite the jank the game is remembered rather fondly by many who played it back in the day, and as a lucha libre wrestler, the moveset writes itself. He could be the inverse of Incineroar, with his moves spouting a more heroic persona as a face rather than a heel. He absolutely could be an echo or clone, but wrestling does have plenty of other types of attacks that Incineroar doesn't use.

I just think he's neat.
Doc Louis (Punch-out)

Little Mac's Trainer and a formidable boxer in his own right, Doc Louis has been with Mac and the series since the beginning.

Doc Louis could share a lot with Little Mac but he could also clearly do new stuff and could have some unique mechanics like the Star Punch.

Punch out is also one of those series that could easily have a lot more representation in Smash with the amount of varied characters. and Punch-out is also a symbol of the NES.
Mike Jones (StarTropics)

Pauline (Super Mario? Donkey Kong? I could see an argument for either)

Before Peach, there was Pauline. Pauline debuted in 1981's Donkey Kong, which also featured the first appearances of two little characters named Mario and, well, Donkey Kong (or technically Cranky Kong). She originated as a damsel in distress for Mario to save, but went on to be so much more. As I said above, I could see her being a part of either the Mario or Donkey Kong series, due to her close connection with both.

After a long absence, she finally reappeared in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, where she goes from being kidnapped by Donkey Kong once again to, eventually, teaming up with him. Her next appearance is in Super Mario Odyssey, where she is now the mayor of New Donk City. Her popularity exploded after this, allowing her to appear in the Mario Tennis, Golf, Kart, and Strikers series (alongside Donkey Kong, of course).

Pauline is one of Nintendo's first iconic characters, even if most people didn't know her name back then. With her retro roots and relatively recent resurgence (I swear, that alliteration was completely accidental), this festival at this time feels like the perfect opportunity to add her to Smash.
Lip (Panel de Pon/Puzzle League)

Surprised we havent added a dedicated, unique (sorry Dr. Mario) Puzzle rep yet. An argument could be made for Arle but here are lots of great Sega reps she is up against. Series seems to show up every now & again, mainly crossing over with another ip seemingly moving on from Lip. This could make her a fun throwback with some relevancy imo. Her game consisted of elemental fairies which can not only enhance her puzzle based moveset but also give us plenty of spirits to pick from. Also think its noteworthy that the series got to use the Tetris name in the west.
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)

View attachment 386068

One of the last remaining Black Box Nintendo icons to join Infinite Beyond. Surprisingly, his game was never released in Japan and the game was deemed one of the worst in the Black Box collection. He could have a whole moveset based around the Light Zapper games and all that.
OK then.....

Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)

Famicom Detective Club is a retro series that recently had remakes on the Switch giving them both retro qualities and modern relevance. Another visual novel representative would be nice to have to complement Phoenix as the genre is relatively underrepresented in Smash. The character was also one of the many retro reps considered for Melee, so there's that as well.

View attachment 386084
View attachment 386085
DK JR
It's time to bring him back. He was once a character featured alongside the likes of Mario and Link in promo material and was even in the original Mario Kart. But he has since been replaced by his son (maybe? It's complicated). I think he should come back here. He would use attacks based on the retro DK games.
  • Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
  • Foreman Spike (Foreman Spike)
  • Alice (Balloon Fight)
  • Starman (Pro Wrestling)
  • Doc Louis (Punch Out)
  • Mike Jones (Star Tropics)
  • Pauline (Mario)
  • Lip (Panel de Pon)
  • Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
  • Ayumi Tachibana (Famicon Detective)
  • Donkey Kong Jr (Mario/Donkey Kong)

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion

• Alice (Balloon Fight)
  • Doc Louis (Punch Out)
  • Pauline (Mario)
  • Lip (Panel de Pon)
Nothing missed, though Foreman Spike is labeled as part of the Foreman Spike franchise, not Wrecking Crew

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion

• Alice (Balloon Fight)
  • Doc Louis (Punch Out)
  • Pauline (Mario)
  • Lip (Panel de Pon)
Alice is from a game called Balloon Kid,not Balloon Fighter

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here is the voting link for our Retro Fighter!

As we vote for our retro newcomer, we will also be submitting....

Submit an Airship and/or Speeder from a retro Franchise

We will be adding an airship and speeder from a retro franchise.... which is to say from an NES franchise. The airship and speeder takes on a pixelated, blocky appearance to help emulate the retro aesthetic. Airships and speeders from franchises featured in our newcomer submission is perfectly fine.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
1709863544612.png

Airship
Sonic Spaceport

Radar Scope (1980)
The ship from the VERY FIRST Nintendo arcade game, so if we were doing a retro festival, we should reference this game with an airship based off the main ship, the Sonic Spaceport. It comes in both the color scheme of the boxart, and the in-game color scheme.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Airship - Battletoads Vulture

https://battletoads.fandom.com/wiki/Vulture

Sorry couldnt find offical image outside fandom which doesnt work on here. Home of the Battletoads seen in NES game (& maybe others?)

Speeder - Frogger Car

Classic, owned by Konami. Will sit on top of the car in the 4th row from the bottom (fastest one).

Last edited:
Top Bottom