• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Beyond

Which option should we go with for our winter/star-based fourth party Mii costume

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Pauline was technically in Mario Kart...

Anyways Venus now know how Sakurai feels when he talks about anything and fans immediately assume it has to do with Smash.
Technically yes but she is still apart of that "retro umbrella" in a weird sort of way. Birdo would of been also acceptable.

I guess some can't help playing detective and start throwing guesses left and right. I hope no body is going to be a wreck after the winner is a grand slam out of the park.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I was the most voted. I am now playable.
Mario, Link, and Kirby are all fighting in a cliffside area. All of a sudden a shadow appears like in Mega Man's trailer. The silhouette then appears to be whatever that character is in Venus pfp.

Splash tagline: Venus moderates the boards!

The character jumps down and begins fighting, handing out infractions to all the Smash Infinite fighters and getting them banned from the arena.

Technically yes but she is still apart of that "retro umbrella" in a weird sort of way. Birdo would of been also acceptable.

I guess some can't help playing detective and start throwing guesses left and right. I hope no body is going to be a wreck after the winner is a grand slam out of the park.
I was just making a quip about how she could also have something to do with races, not that she was somehow ineligible. A bunch of these characters have made some kind of modern reappearance anyways, as long as they have a heavy association with retro I think it's fine.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well either way, Venus seems to have narrowed down who won by a significant margin. Can't wait to see who won!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This was a fairly quick voting process while, straight forward, does come with more extended time for voting....

NameTotal
Mach Rider35
Foreman Spike17
Alice6
Starman12
Doc Louis11
Mike Jones32
Pauline24
Lip27
Mr. Stevenson8
Ayumi Tachibana25
Donkey Kong Jr16

Please check down below to see who won!

Name5 Points4 Points3 Points2 Points1 PointTotal
Mach Rider2 (10)2 (8)3 (9)2 (4)435
Foreman Spike2 (10)002 (4)317
Alice001 (3)1 (2)16
Starman01 (4)2 (6)1 (2)012
Doc Louis1 (5)01 (3)1 (2)111
Mike Jones5 (25)1 (4)01 (2)132
Pauline1 (5)3 (12)1 (3)2 (4)024
Lip1 (5)5 (20)00227
Mr. Stevenson002 (6)1 (2)08
Ayumi Tachibana1 (5)1 (4)4 (12)1 (2)225
Donkey Kong Jr1 (5)1 (4)1 (3)2 ()4016

We will be conducting a runoff poll between the top two characters: Mike Jones and Mach Rider. Mike Jones nabbed the highest amount of 5 point votes but scoring low in lower-tier points while Mach Rider managed to speed by with those coveted lower tier points while also managing to get past technically the top scourer. With that being said, we will conduct yet another runoff poll.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
If Mike Jones were to win, we should have a reference to how you needed to dunk an IRL piece of paper into some water to get a code to progress through the game.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are the results!!

NamePoints
Mach Rider5
Mike Jones6

Please click the spoiler below to find out who won!

MIKE JONES BATS ON UP TO THE ROSTER
Mike Jones was previously an Assist Trophy and Mii Costume before being promoted into our LDC lineup! Due to having this role, the Assist Trophy will be phased out as a result once the character hits. This was a very close voting segment though I never voted and, had I, I would of voted for Mach Rider thus making it a tie so I opted not to vote. This character brings up an interesting option: do we include lot of Star Tropics content or do we focus on other retro series for content instead? Please air your thoughts out.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
One vote.... that could have been tied.... with a vote count lower than the initial round and a voting period slightly shorter than the initial round....

Fine I guess.

I like Mike Jones too but, I feel if the rest of us don't get to look at the results before we can vote... perhaps voting before looking at the results or just voting immediately would be more fair in the future.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One vote.... that could have been tied.... with a vote count lower than the initial round and a voting period slightly shorter than the initial round....

Fine I guess.

I like Mike Jones too but, I feel if the rest of us don't get to look at the results before we can vote... perhaps voting before looking at the results or just voting immediately would be more fair in the future.
Edited: Being a jerk, sorry

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
OK OK you've made your point. You're free to vote however you want, obviously it shouldn't be my place to tell you to vote or how to vote. Congrats to Mike Jones, I do like the character too, sorry if I came off as a sore loser. It wasn't my intention, although I seemed to have failed in that regard.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
OK OK you've made your point. You're free to vote however you want, obviously it shouldn't be my place to tell you to vote or how to vote. Congrats to Mike Jones, I do like the character too, sorry if I came off as a sore loser. It wasn't my intention, although I seemed to have failed in that regard.
Nah, I was being a jerk again. I should apologize.

But it's no secret that we are losing participants and interest and certain jobs pull in more voters than not. Even this must recent runoff, to me, was like "Oh, I need to do a runoff poll again" because I don't have the time (and energy) to devote to it. I want to make sure I can quickly catalog information and archive it.

Anyways, I will look into maybe showing results but I can't promise anything. Historically, showing results caused vote changed and tampering with. Is it always the most preferred result? Sometimes not.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
With that being said, we will be moving to our newcomer submission content!

Mike Jones is from the retro series Star Tropics and, while it certainly has content to draw from, I am a little unsure how this would look. By looking at the submissions....

Mike Jones Moveset Submissions

Mike Jones (StarTropics)

Mike Jones from StarTropics on X: [USER=408030]@tuyoki[/USER] It should be me, Mike Jones from  StarTropics. https://t.co/1M2Dw8eCpB / X

Mike Jones, the main protag of StarTropics, an american teenager who visits the tropical C-Island to see his uncle. But Mike finds out that his uncle is missing, so he sets out on a rescue mission, with his yo-yo as his weapon fighting threats like aliens. Interestingly, despite his origin being from Nintendo. His games was never released in Japan but with so many western reps being in Smash at this point. I think its fair to finally put Mike back into the spotlight and show the world what he can really do.

While his moves from the games may be similar to Ness's. He could instead be the reverse of Ness with his moveset being more focused on his hobbies-turned-weapons rather then psychic moves although he does have a Psychic Shockwave. His game even got into the Nintendo Switch Online service back in 2019 so he's not totally irrelevant in Nintendo's rader. It be cool to see an Nintendo rep created specifically for the west to get his chance to fight off with Nintendo's All-Stars.
It doesn't exactly provide us a clear and cut outlook on what kind of character Mike Jones would be. That being said, I decided to give Mike a bit of a basic gameplay style given his more generic appearance. No gimmicks, no mechanics. Just a standard character that has some interesting moves but I think this is where the fun is - we can be a bit interpretative with his moveset.

I went poking in around Google for information:
Mike Jones moveset #1
Mike Jones Moveset #2
Mike Jones Moveset Page
Mike Jones Video Essay

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
I didn't expect the voting be so close. Maybe I should had voted Mech Rider but this is ok.

For content-wise. I believe if StarTropics isn't enough. It's fine to pull stuff from other retro games.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
From what little I've played of StarTropics, I think the feeling of the game's combat can be described as "space your foe a good bit, and time your item throws just right", even more so than Zelda. So let's make Mike a mid-range fighter who likes to keep foes at a distance but can get bent if he mistimes his attacks or goes against someone better at a specific kind of attack than himself. I agree with Venus that we should make him somewhat like Banjo & Kazooie or Sora: a standard, middle-of-the-road character with some interesting complexities to make him stand out. Sorta beginner-friendly, if you will.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I didn't expect the voting be so close. Maybe I should had voted Mech Rider but this is ok.

For content-wise. I believe if StarTropics isn't enough. It's fine to pull stuff from other retro games.
Oh we will. But how much content from Star Tropics is what is being discussed.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It should be noted that:

Mike Jones is our first newcomer character from a new series since Saki and Sin & Punishment which was one of the first characters revealed in base Infinite Beyond.
Mike Jones is the first character who made a transition from assist trophy to playable during the development of DLC content and is the first character to do so in this fashion

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Now personally I think we should reference that infamous moment where you had to use an IRL password hidden on a letter you would get in the manual by dunking some water on the paper. It could be his potential smash reveal trailer where he found a hidden message in an empty smash letter that invited him to smash.

Also
Neutral Special:
Perfect Swing

Mike charges his bat to perform a powerful swing, it is inspired by Marth's Shield Breaker, however it has some unique properties. Firstly the bat usually can't instantly break shields, it can heavily damage them but it isn't capable of shattering the shield in one hit. The true power is lining up the sweetspot of the bat, which is in the middle, hitting that deals incredible knockback and not only instantly break shields but also deals a critical hit, launching the foe upwards. Think of it as a toned down version of what would happen if Jigglypuff breaks her shield.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Offff....

This has been a rough submission period but that is to be expected when it comes to 1) retros and 2) a retro that many do not know about

I have several ideas cooking though

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Offff....

This has been a rough submission period but that is to be expected when it comes to 1) retros and 2) a retro that many do not know about

I have several ideas cooking though
Honestly, though, I was a bit confused on the prompt on whether we were suggesting a general playstyle or if we were submitting actual moves for Mike.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Now personally I think we should reference that infamous moment where you had to use an IRL password hidden on a letter you would get in the manual by dunking some water on the paper. It could be his potential smash reveal trailer where he found a hidden message in an empty smash letter that invited him to smash.

Also
Neutral Special:
Perfect Swing

Mike charges his bat to perform a powerful swing, it is inspired by Marth's Shield Breaker, however it has some unique properties. Firstly the bat usually can't instantly break shields, it can heavily damage them but it isn't capable of shattering the shield in one hit. The true power is lining up the sweetspot of the bat, which is in the middle, hitting that deals incredible knockback and not only instantly break shields but also deals a critical hit, launching the foe upwards. Think of it as a toned down version of what would happen if Jigglypuff breaks her shield.
Hey we have a neutral special, that is something I guess

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
Side Special - Slingslot
Mike puts a small rock inside of a slingshot, where he pulls it back and fires it , hitting into a foe with 3 or 4% damage. You are not able to charge it but rather angle at any direction.

Up Special - Anklet
The Anklet goes into Mike's ankles, appearing as wings. Mike will be able to fly upwards for a few seconds before the anklet disappears.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Side Special - Slingslot
Mike puts a small rock inside of a slingshot, where he pulls it back and fires it , hitting into a foe with 3 or 4% damage. You are not able to charge it but rather angle at any direction.

Up Special - Anklet
The Anklet goes into Mike's ankles, appearing as wings. Mike will be able to fly upwards for a few seconds before the anklet disappears.
I sorta picture the up special to work like Pit's old Brawl recovery

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thank you everyone for your submissions! We will be now moving to

Mike Jones Additional Content

We will be adding the following content:

Entrance Animation (1)
Idle Poses (2)
Taunts (4)
Victory Poses (3)
Victory Theme (1)
Kirby Hat (1)
Boxing Ring Title (1)
Crowd Cheer (1)
Splash Tagline (1)
Palutena's Guidance (1)
Snake Codec (1)
Classic Mode Route (1)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Splash Tagline: MIKE Comes Ashore!

(Reference to a method of travel being majorly by boat for a lot of the series, also references the island setting)

Taunt: Mike takes out two bananas and sticks them into his ears with a big smile.

Boxing Ring Title: Ace Pitcher of C Island

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Classic Mode Route: Retro Adventure (this route Mike fights against retro Nintendo characters)

#
Character
Stage
Notes
Reference
Round 1
Mr. Game & Watch​
Flat Zone​
Round 2
Ice Climbers​
Summit​
Round 3
Duck Hunt Duo​
Duck hunt​
Round 4
Takamaru​
Murasame Castle​
Round 5
Little Mac​
Boxing Ring​
Round 6
Pit​
Skyworld​
Race
To
The
Finish
Round 7
King Hippo (Boss)​

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I meant to get us started on the next job earlier but…

Submit a Mike Jones Alternate Color

We will be submitting alternate colors for Mike Jones. Please provide a color. Due to a lack of references, a general color without a source is perfectly fine.

Submit a Stage from StarTropics

Likewise, we will be submitting a stage from the StarTropics series. I was hoping we could submit a Stage from a retro series cause this festival is about Reteo games, not just StarTropics. I get a feeling some think that is the case but it’s not. The stage will be similar to Duck Hunt in that it will be within the game engines graphics but will incorporate original sprites.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Mike Jones Color - Yellow/Brown based on his Uncle Dr. Jones

C-Island Tunnel

Honestly dont have much to say as im not super familiar with game. Upon a little research seems like a big part of the game is exploring tunnels throughout C-Island. An underground tunnel theme is not too common (if we even have a stage with one at all) & could maybe utilize a reverse Icicle Mtn layout constantly traveling downwards instead of up (could be a nice call-back i guess to the 1st NES throwback fighter)

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Zoda's Spaceship

While technically there isn't a location for this place, it is heavily implied that the final stages of the first game occurs in Zoda's spaceship. The stage is set up in a way like Momentos which has a multi-leveled stage that slopes up along with three floating platforms that move up and down. The stage itself has an HD quality like Duck Hunt but still retains the coloration seen below:

1710291936298.png

The background is almost entirely black but the stage does have two stage hazards in the form of bosses. These two bosses retains their sprite appearance but reconstructed to not be a huge mess when blow up to fit Smash's resolution:

PictureName Description
1710292371083.png

Zoda
It will appear in the background and will fire it's eyes out which have a slight homing ability. It will also vanish and then cause its arms to reach out to grab opponents for a devastating attack. Defeating this boss will cause Prime Invader Zoda to appear
1710292080071.png
Prime Invader ZodaAppears on either the right side or left side and fires plasma balls across the stage. It will move about while trying to ram into opponents. It will also spew out living creatures who, unlike the source material, floats in the air rather than creeping along the ground. They have homing capabilities.

Top Bottom