• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
*Reads the article* Yeah, I'd say he's taking the game a bit too seriously. -_-

It's not that biggest deal in the world if the roster is 100% perfect.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can't really blame Sakurai for not wanting to talk as much this time around. We take pretty much everything he says and over-analyze the living hell out of it, not to mention the spammed requests he's sent and the fact that people yell characters they want at him pretty much whenever he goes to some event.

Honestly, look at what caused Kamiya to tell people to **** off. Now take that one character he gets a request for, and apply it to and multiply it by all the characters. That's what Sakurai deals with. Kinda feel sorry for him. :ohwell:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So with this in mind, what potential characters do you think have the ability to really stick out on the cutting room floor? Seeing that article made me really think Lyn stands a decent chance (mostly because of her AT status).
I think the only character not playable in Brawl that is not connected with the FE13 plot that stands a decent chance is Roy.

I think Sakurai could very well pick My Unit or Anna as the FE13 character if he does not want to cut Ike and someone to contrast more on the roster as a whole.

I also disagree that Falco and Wolf are in more danger than Ike and Lucario. The former two are series mainstays even if they share some of their moves with Fox.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

At least he's pretty passionate about his work. That's a good thing in my eyes.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Well, Sakurai is a perfectionist person and very passionate about his work.

I'm pretty sure Mewtwo and Lucario will overlap in what the offer the smash roster, so the way I see it, it's going to be either one or the other. I'm not expecting a lot of cuts, but whoever is cut I'm sure it will be for a good reason.

This is getting me really excited. First no tripping, then faster gameplay, then a balance between casual fun and competitive fun and now he's putting more of an emphasis on character variety? Jeez when is this game available fore pre-order!
Can't agree with your statement on Lucario and Mewtwo. Aside their neutral specials, they're nothing alike.

The fact that they have different typing in the original games and have different abilities, characteristics and such, leads me to believe they could both appear in the new game, as was intended for Brawl.

On your second statement, I agree. Sakurai's statements and design philosophy this time are giving me good hopes for this game.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
We also need to realize that we can't just the "Anyone can be made unique." argument willy nilly. I think out of the current roster, the ones that are "endangered" are Falco, Wolf (maybe), Lucas (maybe, but he and Ness need revamps), Toon Link, and, due to being third parties, Snake and Sonic. We might as well include Roy in this while we're at it.

So with this in mind, what potential characters do you think have the ability to really stick out on the cutting room floor? Seeing that article made me really think Lyn stands a decent chance (mostly because of her AT status).
Do you mean characters once rejected that might be more appealing now? Isaac and Saki come to mind as well, but Sakurai may look at the recent games and decide to go with their successors ala Lucas, so there is no guarantee there. Lyn is an interesting idea and one I've never really considered. She could definitely be a viable option I suppose but I'd wager Takamaru will fill the role of our eastern style swordmaster for the game.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Sometimes I imagine Sakurai walking in public and people recognizing who is and they just start yelling out at the top of their lungs their most desired characters over and over again. Like, if he is just walking along a side walk or picking up some groceries.

"GENO! GENO! GENO! GENO SAKURA-SAMA, GENO!"

I think you're underestimating the idiocy of humans. We're quite remarkable creatures.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At least he's pretty passionate about his work. That's a good thing in my eyes.

But not at the cost of his health. I like that he cares. But there is a thing about taking it slightly easier. He hurt his own body by controlling two characters at once in testing. There are other people he can work with to get this done.

I want a great game. And we've had 3 great ones. I just don't want the man to hurt himself over it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Can't really blame Sakurai for not wanting to talk as much this time around. We take pretty much everything he says and over-analyze the living hell out of it, not to mention the spammed requests he's sent and the fact that people yell characters they want at him pretty much whenever he goes to some event.

Honestly, look at what caused Kamiya to tell people to **** off. Now take that one character he gets a request for, and apply it to and multiply it by all the characters. That's what Sakurai deals with. Kinda feel sorry for him. :ohwell:
I'm guessing he is now regretting making a Super Smash Bros Miiverse thread. because every update and post it's a request for a certain character (I myself is guilty of this).
Honestly, being the dark is for the best. I want be surprised when that challenger approaching screen shows up

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Chrono
Except you're looking at who's who and not how they play. Ike plays nothing like Marth with at most sharing one move that can easily be changed. Likewise, Lucario plays nothing like Mewtwo and really only shares one move which doesn't really mean much either. From a gameplay point of view, which is what Sakurai is focusing heavily on, they're fine as they are (barring balance).

Falco and Wolf are very much the Ken and Akuma to Fox's Ryu. I don't think more needs to be said on that.

Do you mean characters once rejected that might be more appealing now? Isaac and Saki come to mind as well, but Sakurai may look at the recent games and decide to go with their successors ala Lucas, so there is no guarantee there. Lyn is an interesting idea and one I've never really considered. She could definitely be a viable option I suppose but I'd wager Takamaru will fill the role of our eastern style swordmaster for the game.
I suppose, yes, this would mean that looking at assist trophies would not be a bad idea. As to whether or not they would be "replaced" by the successors would be a matter of Sakurai's preference if the original and the successor are functionally the same.

With Lyn and Takamaru, you're oversimplifying the similarities between the two. Sure, they both use Japanese swords, but that's not taking into account playstyle differences. We don't apply this same reasoning to Mario and Luigi from a gameplay perspective so we really shouldn't here.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm guessing he is now regretting making a Super Smash Bros Miiverse thread. because every update and post it's a request for a certain character (I myself is guilty of this).
Honestly, being the dark is for the best. I want be surprised when that challenger approaching screen shows up

Honestly, the Miiverse threads are just a wretched hive of scum and villainy in general. Reading the comments on them make me want to slash my wrists every day at the pure stupidity of people Sakurai has to put up with. Sure, I have my characters I want, but at least I rationalize them and only select ones that make decently objective amounts of sense.

In addition, I'd just die if I saw 8000000 requests for him to "Add Sonic" every single day. Hoooooly crap. Are those people even serious? Then again, Miiverse is not specific to people like me in the early 20s+ department. Kids on there don't know any better and request stuff like Simon Belmont, (God I want him, but no) and even less sensible things like Naruto on a daily basis.

But then again, the most popular become the most popular for a reason. Sakurai isn't going to be drawn in by constant idiotic comments (at least I hope not). Sigh.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am also more confident that any characters Sakurai cuts (except possibly the Brawl guests) will eventually return via DLC if Sakurai decides he is okay with that at the end of development. I think any newcomers that become DLC will be those that Sakurai had to scrap due to time constraints (think Toon Zelda in Brawl).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is guilty selfishness on my part, but I'd love if Sakurai took some of the humorous images from Miiverse (primarily the Psycho Villager ones) and hid them in the game, like he did with his cat on Pokemon Stadium 2.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Can't agree with your statement on Lucario and Mewtwo. Aside their neutral specials, they're nothing alike.

The fact that they have different typing in the original games and have different abilities, characteristics and such, leads me to believe they could both appear in the new game, as was intended for Brawl.

On your second statement, I agree. Sakurai's statements and design philosophy this time are giving me good hopes for this game.
Let me clarify, while Lucario and Mewtwo differ in movesets and typing, they are similar in their in play styles in Smash. They both have this floaty feel to them.
Now if Lucario was more of a quick physical attacker, utilizing moves like close-combat or mach punch in his moveset I wouldn't be making this comparison.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm at least happy he at least cares about the fans as well as the fans of those characters he cuts. Contrary to popular belief... >_>

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Tough for them. I stand by my statements fully.

By standing by your statements you are applying that it isn't a big deal over all of the idiots who think it is (and thus becomes a big deal), which is a bit strange. Not that I personally think it is a big deal, but Sakurai is making a game for people to play. If a lot of the people looking to him for it are making it a big deal, it is not odd for him to feel the weight of that.

I did it as well, but I feel no shame about having done so. Sakurai isn't going to see all of this and go, "Oh my god, they're asking for all of these characters! Such unexpected, inappropriate, and uninteresting dribble!" That being said, I did make sure to make a few other posts showing appreciation and talking about the newcomers we've seen and mentioning online functionality.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a wild thought. What if instead of Solid Snake we get Big Boss/Naked Snake instead. He is going to be the main protagonist of MGSV, and the only Metal Gear game released on a Nintendo console since 2004 was that port MGS3 for the 3DS.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, everyone in Brawl was floaty while Mewtwo in general was. I think the general properties of Lucario combined with Brawl's engine made the similarities a simple coincidence.

Here is a wild thought. What if instead of Solid Snake we get Big Boss/Naked Snake instead. He is going to be the main protagonist of MGSV, and the only Metal Gear game released on a Nintendo console since 2004 was that port MGS3 for the 3DS.
While I won't deny that it's definitely a possibility, why would they go do that? Not only that, but Snake's beard in Brawl came from Naked Snake anyway.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Let me clarify, while Lucario and Mewtwo differ in movesets and typing, they are similar in their in play styles in Smash. They both have this floaty feel to them.
Now if Lucario was more of a quick physical attacker, utilizing moves like close-combat or mach punch in his moveset I wouldn't be making this comparison.
You have a point, but still, they have pretty different moves. Yes, both are floaty and all that, but they still have other attributes that set them apart.

Now... Sakurai may very well "re-evaluate" how the characters should feel in Smash and possibly make them different. I mean, he planned to have both in Brawl and, who knows what ideas he had to change Mewtwo from what he was in Melee?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I hope, if he changed Mewtwo, he made Mewtwo heavier at the very least.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Considering the significant changes we've seen for Pit, and especially Brawl, it would not be surprising to see the roster not only much more diversified, but that each character is made more solid and better rounded.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
While I won't deny that it's definitely a possibility, why would they go do that? Not only that, but Snake's beard in Brawl came from Naked Snake anyway.
Because Big Boss has made more appearances over the past several years (MGS3D, Peace Walker, MGS5) than Solid Snake has, and Kojima might want to advertise MGSV in Smash 4 via Big Boss/Naked Snake. Sakurai had no scruples about throwing in some MGS4 content in Brawl (the song, and a trophy).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Considering the significant changes we've seen for Pit, and especially Brawl, it would not be surprising to see the roster not only much more diversified, but that each character is made more solid and better rounded.
Agreed. With a bigger team developing the game and balancing the characters and with Sakurai's design philosophies this time, I may expect good things from the game's roster.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Outside of Old Snake being way cooler, I wouldn't really mind it. Honestly it'd be another Young/Toon Link situation, only even less noticeable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You have a point, but still, they have pretty different moves. Yes, both are floaty and all that, but they still have other attributes that set them apart.

Now... Sakurai may very well "re-evaluate" how the characters should feel in Smash and possibly make them different. I mean, he planned to have both in Brawl and, who knows what ideas he had to change Mewtwo from what he was in Melee?
Mewtwo Éclair Forme confirmed. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Because Big Boss has made more appearances over the past several years (MGS3D, Peace Walker, MGS5) than Solid Snake has, and Kojima might want to advertise MGSV in Smash 4 via Big Boss/Naked Snake. Sakurai had no scruples about throwing in some MGS4 content in Brawl (the song, and a trophy).
So what you're saying is to simply make a name change from Solid Snake to Naked Snake.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I suppose, yes, this would mean that looking at assist trophies would not be a bad idea. As to whether or not they would be "replaced" by the successors would be a matter of Sakurai's preference if the original and the successor are functionally the same.

With Lyn and Takamaru, you're oversimplifying the similarities between the two. Sure, they both use Japanese swords, but that's not taking into account playstyle differences. We don't apply this same reasoning to Mario and Luigi from a gameplay perspective so we really shouldn't here.
I'm not attempting to overly simplify the issue, it is just easier to see how Takamaru can do what Lyn does with the addition of some of the other techniques stemming from his game and Nintendo Land game. Personally I'd much rather have Lyn over Takamaru as I've actually played her game, enjoy her as a character and think she'd make for a much better choice over any other Fire Emblem lord bar Ephraim.

For the love of all things beautiful give Ganondorf his magic ball attack. It's not that hard to do Sakurai.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Uh, the main difference between them is Lucario has blue ****, while Mewtwo has purple ****. That's a huge ****ing difference and you need to get your **** straight.

Frankly, I'd like more purple ****.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Agreed. With a bigger team developing the game and balancing the characters and with Sakurai's design philosophies this time, I may expect good things from the game's roster.
I expect any version of child Link that comes in is at least going to have their own unique specials and Final Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not attempting to overly simplify the issue, it is just easier to see how Takamaru can do what Lyn does with the addition of some of the other techniques stemming from his game and Nintendo Land game. Personally I'd much rather have Lyn over Takamaru as I've actually played her game, enjoy her as a character and think she'd make for a much better choice over any other Fire Emblem lord bar Ephraim.
I hope Manly drops by soon because he did a good job of illustrating the potential differences between the two.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Now that I think about it, Lucario being floaty is kind of strange... Can't believe I didn't think of how odd that is until just now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think Villager proved that. Kind of funny how we keep coming back to this:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)
I've been thinking about this all day and just how Brawl seemed to mostly have the popular characters that didn't get into Melee, SSB4 may have a lot of the popular characters that didn't get into Brawl. This was uncovered in 2006 so it would blow everyone's minds is this proved to be the case in 2014, eight years later.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I hope Manly drops by soon because he did a good job of illustrating the potential differences between the two.
I'm all for it because I honestly have no horse in the Fire Emblem derby.

I've been thinking about this all day and just how Brawl seemed to mostly have the popular characters that didn't get into Melee, SSB4 may have a lot of the popular characters that didn't get into Brawl. This was uncovered in 2006 so it would blow everyone's minds is this proved to be the case in 2014, eight years later.
I'm equally interested to know what Sakurai's evaluations are for characters going into this game considering he has not held any kind of official poll. Not as though were many new characters introduced in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom