• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Here is a wild thought. What if instead of Solid Snake we get Big Boss/Naked Snake instead. He is going to be the main protagonist of MGSV, and the only Metal Gear game released on a Nintendo console since 2004 was that port MGS3 for the 3DS.
I could see that happening should we get a Metal Gear rep.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
You have a point, but still, they have pretty different moves. Yes, both are floaty and all that, but they still have other attributes that set them apart.

Now... Sakurai may very well "re-evaluate" how the characters should feel in Smash and possibly make them different. I mean, he planned to have both in Brawl and, who knows what ideas he had to change Mewtwo from what he was in Melee?
That could very well be the case. I hope all the Pokemon get some moveset tweaks. Hopefully, Jigglypuff will get some interesting Fairy moves and Pikachu gets a better Volt Tackles Final Smash.
I did it as well, but I feel no shame about having done so. Sakurai isn't going to see all of this and go, "Oh my god, they're asking for all of these characters! Such unexpected, inappropriate, and uninteresting dribble!" That being said, I did make sure to make a few other posts showing appreciation and talking about the newcomers we've seen and mentioning online functionality.
I too showed so appreciation, on adding Wii Fit trainer surprisingly.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think that if Roy gets in that its going to be FE13 Roy as the default (the Sakurai will probably make some adjustments to the design), and Marth will likely have his FE13 as well. I would not be surprised if Ike comes in with a re-design that makes him look a lot more similar to Chrom.

I also think if we get the My Unit, it will be the female version of the character so as to kill two birds with one strone:
1. Represent FE13.
2. Shut up the female FE character crowd.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Why not both the male and female versions of Robin and you can alternate between them as costumes. Also, having the different paletteswaps also sporting different hair colors would be appropriate.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm equally interested to know what Sakurai's evaluations are for characters going into this game considering he has not held any kind of official poll. Not as though were many new characters introduced in the interim.
I made the prediction a while back that character polls are meaningless this time around. Seeing as he went off of Brawl's poll for Mega Man according to that article, I'd take it as a good sign we won't be seeing one this time. Honestly the lack of a poll really only effects certain specific characters like Palutena.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I still think that if Roy gets in that its going to be FE13 Roy as the default (the Sakurai will probably make some adjustments to the design), and Marth will likely have his FE13 as well. I would not be surprised if Ike comes in with a re-design that makes him look a lot more similar to Chrom.
I also think if we get the My Unit, it will be the female version of the character so as to kill two birds with one strone:
1. Represent FE13.
2. Shut up the female FE character crowd.
I'm all for it because I honestly have no horse in the Fire Emblem derby.
Why not both the male and female versions of Robin and you can alternate between them as costumes. Also, having the different paletteswaps also sporting different hair colors would be appropriate.
. . .
And/Or we could get Anna and kill all the birds, and multiple bonus bird combos, with one stone :3

Nah, but I do like the idea of Avatar.

Really, the only difference I see between Lyn and Takamaru in terms of swordplay is Lyn seems to practice Iaido, at least what I've seen of her, while Takamaru is more Kenjutsu style.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Considering that Sakurai has not even done a female alternate for the Animal Crossing Villager which has a much, much higher percentage of female players than FE does, I am not sure whether Sakurai will actually do that.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I hope they do this with the Villager as well

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I expect any version of child Link that comes in is at least going to have their own unique specials and Final Smash.

In a twist, I don't expect much of this. Maybe the Child Link might have a Boomerang while Adult Link might have the Beetle. But I don't expect them to be much different.

As for alternate costumes, I could see Pokemon Trainer easily getting a female one. Mostly because it's far easier to get a female voice actor for PT than any other. They only have to change their voice for a very select small amount of voice clips. For a full character, you have to do it for every single time they would talk or make any noise. It'd be weird hearing Lucina in a male voice, for instance.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Lloyd tho. I understand the classic nature of Pac-Man but seriously....

D

Deleted member

I'm all for it because I honestly have no horse in the Fire Emblem derby.

I'm equally interested to know what Sakurai's evaluations are for characters going into this game considering he has not held any kind of official poll. Not as though were many new characters introduced in the interim.
I think Sakurai will emphasize even more on what the characters are and what they can bring rather than what they could become or their future. We've seen this big time with Mega Man. Despite his series being in really bad condition and being significantly less relevant to new gamers, the fact that he was so popular and such a strong character contributed to his inclusion.

Speaking of which, Mega Man being selected based off the Brawl poll makes me wonder how close he got to Sonic in that poll. Makes me wonder if he wouldn't have gone after him if there was a big difference and if there were any Nintendo characters that outdid Mega Man in the Brawl poll (because if so, I have very little doubt they would get in as well).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Considering that Sakurai has not even done a female alternate for the Animal Crossing Villager which has a much, much higher percentage of female players than FE does, I am not sure whether Sakurai will actually do that.
We don't even know if the Villager has that or not, it's too soon to say.

Just because it's unknown, it doesn't mean it's debunked.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Speaking of which, Mega Man being selected based off the Brawl poll makes me wonder how close he got to Sonic in that poll. Makes me wonder if he wouldn't have gone after him if there was a big difference and if there were any Nintendo characters that outdid Mega Man in the Brawl poll (because if so, I have very little doubt they would get in as well).
I'm guessing the difference between Sonic and Mega Man was notable, as Sonic was described as "by far" the most popular character on the poll, and Mega Man wasn't even described as the second most popular, just the second most popular third-party. If I had to guess, I'd say there were at least a few Nintendo characters between Sonic and Mega Man, but I'm also guessing most of them made it into Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I'm guessing the difference between Sonic and Mega Man was notable, as Sonic was described as "by far" the most popular character on the poll, and Mega Man wasn't even described as the second most popular, just the second most popular third-party. If I had to guess, I'd say there were at least a few Nintendo characters between Sonic and Mega Man, but I'm also guessing most of them made it into Brawl.
Honestly, the only Nintendo character I could think of that could have possibly been more popular than Mega Man during pre-Brawl but failed to make the cut then is Ridley and even then I'm not sure. If he did score better than Mega Man, though, then I have no doubt Sakurai will at least seriously re-consider Ridley for this game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
In a twist, I don't expect much of this. Maybe the Child Link might have a Boomerang while Adult Link might have the Beetle. But I don't expect them to be much different.

As for alternate costumes, I could see Pokemon Trainer easily getting a female one. Mostly because it's far easier to get a female voice actor for PT than any other. They only have to change their voice for a very select small amount of voice clips. For a full character, you have to do it for every single time they would talk or make any noise. It'd be weird hearing Lucina in a male voice, for instance.
Well based off of that new article that was posted, I doubt they will be THAT similar; especially when Sakurai said he is looking for character uniqueness in terms of moveset. So I would assume if another Link were to be added he would have to bring something somewhat different to the roster in terms of variety.

As for Pokemon Trainer alternate cosutmes, as long as there is a Squirtle Squad Glasses Squirtle I'm in! :love:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I made the prediction a while back that character polls are meaningless this time around. Seeing as he went off of Brawl's poll for Mega Man according to that article, I'd take it as a good sign we won't be seeing one this time. Honestly the lack of a poll really only effects certain specific characters like Palutena.
I'd throw Shulk into that mix as well, but I really doubt he needs a poll to make his decision. Especially in Shulk's case.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We don't even know if the Villager has that or not, it's too soon to say.

Just because it's unknown, it doesn't mean it's debunked.
True. We will just have to wait and see.

Sakurai's statement wanting to stay more quiet this time makes me wonder how many more newcomers we will get before Smash 4's release. Well just another 1.5 years to go I guess.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Again. I trust Sakurai will make the right decision.

Just wanted to say that again.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, the only Nintendo character I could think of that could have possibly been more popular than Mega Man during pre-Brawl but failed to make the cut then is Ridley and even then I'm not sure. If he did score better than Mega Man, though, then I have no doubt Sakurai will at least seriously re-consider Ridley for this game.
Keep in mind it's a Japanese poll, so even though Ridley was mentioned several times in those letters, he might not actually have done that well on the poll. I'm thinking more along the lines of characters such as Dedede and Diddy. Also, IIRC you could only vote for one character on the poll (somebody correct me if I'm mistaken), so even though he was popular, Sonic probably stole a lot of his votes tbh. Not that I'm trying to downplay his popularity, but he didn't really take off as overwhelmingly popular until Sonic was confirmed if memory serves. Though it is Japan, so he probably had one of the highest, if not the highest amount of requests for characters that didn't make it into Brawl.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well based off of that new article that was posted, I doubt they will be THAT similar; especially when Sakurai said he is looking for character uniqueness in terms of moveset. So I would assume if another Link were to be added he would have to bring something somewhat different to the roster in terms of variety.

As for Pokemon Trainer alternate cosutmes, as long as there is a Squirtle Squad Glasses Squirtle I'm in! :love:

To be fair, Toon Link was very different to Link as is. More than half of his moves weren't the same. They also played practically nothing alike.

And I'd like more Anime references. But that leaves out Ivysaur and Charizard for special costume ideas. :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think Toad and Dixie Kong are incredibly underrated as character choices go. I think after this year's E3 it should be obvious those two are among the few Nintendo all-stars left.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Can i ask where the hell are people getting "Ike, Lucas, and Lucario are getting cut" out of this!?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd throw Shulk into that mix as well, but I really doubt he needs a poll to make his decision. Especially in Shulk's case.
I'd argue this would apply to Little Mac too for obvious reasons. Again, if you really think about it, most of the new Brawl characters were the leftover popular characters from the official Melee poll. This applies to King Dedede, Metaknight, Wario, Diddy, Pit, Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, and Sonic. Toon Link replaced Young Link, Ike replaced Roy, and Lucario replaced Mewtwo leaving ZSS (Sakurai's desire for more females), ROB (his WTF choice), Olimar (the only major Miyamoto franchise not yet represented), Lucas (who was supposed to replace Ness in Melee) and Snake (someone who didn't make it in Melee due to time constraints).

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Can i ask where the hell are people getting "Ike, Lucas, and Lucario are getting cut" out of this!?
What some people are thinking:
Ike-Replaced by new FE rep.
Lucas- No longer relevant/too clone-like (I doubt Lucas is getting cut myself)
Lucario-Getting replaced by new pokemon rep.

bobadz

Smash Ace
What some people are thinking:
Ike-Replaced by new FE rep.
Lucas- No longer relevant/too clone-like (I doubt Lucas is getting cut myself)
Lucario-Getting replaced by new pokemon rep.
I'm talking about the polygon interview where it seems like sakurai isn't going to be as cut happy as people make him out to be.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ike replaced Roy, and Lucario replaced Mewtwo
The problem with this was that Sakurai was planning on having Mewtwo and Roy co-exist with Lucario and Ike.

I would not be surprised if Sakurai was mindful to include less "epoch" characters this time (basically characters that are the faces to a franchise during a certain timeframe) due to the problems they have down the road, and Sakurai knowing the strong reaction for cutting such characters.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
To be fair, Toon Link was very different to Link as is. More than half of his moves weren't the same. They also played practically nothing alike.

And I'd like more Anime references. But that leaves out Ivysaur and Charizard for special costume ideas. :p
Toon Link was a more nimbler, quicker Link I will agree with you there. But aside from the cool cell-shaded bomb explosion effects, Toon Link's moves did very little to represent his subset of the series. He doesn't use any unique items from the Wind Waker, Hourglass & Spirit Tracks (was that out after or before brawl???) games.

Yeah there isn't much you can do with Ivy and Charizard is there? The only thing I can think of is making shiny versions of them and possibly making a sparkling trails that follow them as they move.

Either that, or make Mystery Dungeon versions of them with bandana's and hats....that's the best i can think of. :laugh:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Toon Link was a more nimbler, quicker Link I will agree with you there. But aside from the cool cell-shaded bomb explosion effects, Toon Link's moves did very little to represent his series.

Yeah there isn't much you can do with Ivy and Charizard is there? The only thing I can think of is making shiny versions of them and possibly making a sparkling trails that follow them as they move.
Either that, or make Mystery Dungeon versions of them with bandana's and hats....that's the best i can think of. :laugh:

I'm fine with more Mystery Dungeon in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I still think Toad and Dixie Kong are incredibly underrated as character choices go. I think after this year's E3 it should be obvious those two are among the few Nintendo all-stars left.
I think people are really warming up to the idea of Dixie Kong getting in with Tropical Freeze on the horizon. I think demand for her will only keep increasing even if King K. Rool shows up in Tropical Freeze as well (which I'm unfortunately not thinking will happen).
Because many people are still stuck under the assumption that recentness is the end-all, be-all of character decisions. I'm hoping that people realize that the only unique Melee character was cut due to time constraints and not because it was intended to be replaced (guess who).

Hopefully, however, that article will begin to break that thought out.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Besides dumb, the series in question are a tad more flexible with their characters due to the main cast changing every new game.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd argue this would apply to Little Mac too for obvious reasons. Again, if you really think about it, most of the new Brawl characters were the leftover popular characters from the official Melee poll. This applies to King Dedede, Metaknight, Wario, Diddy, Pit, Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, and Sonic. Toon Link replaced Young Link, Ike replaced Roy, and Lucario replaced Mewtwo leaving ZSS (Sakurai's desire for more females), ROB (his WTF choice), Olimar (the only major Miyamoto franchise not yet represented), Lucas (who was supposed to replace Ness in Melee) and Snake (someone who didn't make it in Melee due to time constraints).
I won't dispute any of that. Although I'd say that Little Mac has always been a decently requested character. The only characters that have really come along since Brawl have been Palutena and Shulk, everyone else are just Brawl leftovers.

D

Deleted member

But we don't know how early into the planning or for how long. In the end, all we know is that they were cut and that some of their traits were folded into Lucario and Ike, respectively.
Sakurai did state that he had many characters he wanted to add into Brawl, but ultimately had to cut due to time constraints. Since Mewtwo and Roy were the furthest in, chances are that time constraints interfered with their appearance (there's a theory suggesting that Sonic was added so late that Mewtwo and Roy were cut).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toon Link was a more nimbler, quicker Link I will agree with you there. But aside from the cool cell-shaded bomb explosion effects, Toon Link's moves did very little to represent his subset of the series. He doesn't use any unique items from the Wind Waker, Hourglass & Spirit Tracks (was that out after or before brawl???) games.
PH and ST came out after Brawl, I think. Or atleast ST did. You also forgot Minish Cap and Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures.

I do agree, but I still don't find it likely his special moves will be heavily different from Link's. Final Smash included.

Although not quoted, I like the idea of hats and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom