• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Would play hypothetical Ice Climber game. Would play hard. Personally I think it would be interesting if you could choose between Popo and Nana, who each have some unique minor skill or something just to add variety and increase replayability. Ofc there would still be multiplayer as well.

[collapse=Would buy. Would play. Would beat. Would demand sequel.]
[/collapse]

WHAT. WHAT IS THIS IN THE SPOILERS. :chuckle:

But seriously, I would love an Ice Climber game.
It felt really weird saying that.

And you can't forget sidequests. "Those Topis keep ruining our campsite! If you can beat them away until we get the fire going, I'll reward you." (-->Yes No)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No more so than Roy. Red hair instead of blue does not an interesting character make.

Anna would be a better inclusion than either Roy or Chrom, but we won't get her.
I'm beginning to wonder if we'll even get another Fire Emblem character.
Four words, Nintendo: F-Zero and Advance Wars.
But Advance Wars is coming?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
^ I second that. WHAT IS THAT SCREENSHOT?!

The game could have puzzle solving with Popo and Nana, which would be fun. And maybe involve tag team fighting and maneuvering much like the Mario RPG games. There is soooo much potential with it really. And because there is so little from the original game, they could take a lot of liberties with it. And perhaps like N3ON suggests, multiplayer, at least in a special mode. They could even introduce two extra "Ice Climbers" of different colors, like green in that picture. Maybe with names like Lala, Lulu, Kiki, or whatever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know what's another old Nintendo franchise I'd like to see make a comeback? The Adventures of Lolo.
I believe that's owned by HAL, who retained the IP even after being bought by Nintendo. But yeah, it'd be nice to see those blobs again I guess.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Ice Climber with online co-op? YES. Especially if it's like Rayman Origins (AKA no backlash if you accidentally (or purposely) kill someone). People left and right pushing each other off of mountains. :chuckle:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
All of this talk of reviving series', and all I want is for the Sin and Punishment series to continue. Every single person who complains about Star Fox not being on the Wii and let the game die don't deserve a podium.
You must be joking. The inevitable Animal Crossing rep was bound to be one of the most interesting newcomers of Smash 4.
Seriously, how did anyone expect him not to be unconventional?

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Whoa, you and me think alike. Yeah, I really like the 3D platformer open world idea. And imagine if you could ride polar bears :O That'd be too funny. See, they can go anywhere with Ice Climber really.

Here's a little blurb I wrote some time ago:
Yea, I really miss the 3D open-world platformer. I really really hate to say it, but it's kind of a dead genre. You don't see it at all anymore. I wish game devs would bring it back.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Ice Climber could grow into Nintendo's go-to 3D open-world platformer. That'd show all those Ice Climbers nay-sayers.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So was Villager.
Until Sakurai made him not boring.

That is all.
Sakurai: "What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?"

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Villager is not a good analogy because he has off the wall, crazy uniqueness when compared to the rest of the cast. People say Chrom is boring precisely because he wouldn't stand out from Marth like at all. While I'm a firm believer that Sakurai could make a very fun moveset for just about any character ever, Chrom doesn't actually bring much to the table compared to the existing FE reps.

That being said, I'd definitely agree that Chrom is less bland than Marth, but we need Marth. He's just THE Fire Emblem icon.

D

Deleted member

You must be joking. The inevitable Animal Crossing rep was bound to be one of the most interesting newcomers of Smash 4.
So easy to make such a bold claim after it's already been shown.

So really, you are the one who must be joking.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: "What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?"

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Villager is not a good analogy because he has off the wall, crazy uniqueness when compared to the rest of the cast. People say Chrom is boring precisely because he wouldn't stand out from Marth like at all. While I'm a firm believer that Sakurai could make a very fun moveset for just about any character ever, Chrom doesn't actually bring much to the table compared to the existing FE reps.

That being said, I'd definitely agree that Chrom is less bland than Marth, but we need Marth. He's just THE Fire Emblem icon.
Read my post again; Villager was boring. Then Sakurai made him not boring.
To say that Villager had all this potential after he had already been shown with it is moot.

No one seemed to have any sort of train of thought about Villager prior to his reveal, let alone one of the caliber shown. Closest thing people could come up with were ideas to give to Tom Nook. And even then, they weren't as thoughtful or interesting as what Villager has shown in his reveal.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I'm sorry, but Hoots is right. The way Sakurai designed the Villager's moveset uses the same basic idea as the movesets made by users here - using the in-game items.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Read my post again; Villager was boring. Then Sakurai made him not boring.
To say that Villager had all this potential after he had already been shown with it is moot.

No one seemed to have any sort of train of thought about Villager prior to his reveal, let alone one of the caliber shown. Closest thing people could come up with were ideas to give to Tom Nook. And even then, they weren't as thoughtful or interesting as what Villager has shown in his reveal.

Before Sakurai said no to Villager pre-Brawl, I always gave him the same moveset I gave Tom Nook, with the same tools he uses in his actual character now. Villager was one of my most-wanted reps before then (Although we called him Animal Crosser).

But I'll just sit over here in the corner... :cry:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Kuma came up with a good moveset that worked for any Animal Crossing character. Don't know why you have to act like we're revising history or something. A lot of us had similar ideas; we just thought it would not happen.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, but Hoots is right. The way Sakurai designed the Villager's moveset uses the same idea as the movesets made by users here - using the in-game items.
Again, made by users for Tom Nook that weren't nearly as interesting as what Sakurai has done.

People need to stop patting themselves on the back for these kind of things.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Common sense will tell you any rep that comes from a peaceful life simulator featuring talking animals is going to have be a whole unique individual to fit in Smash.

It doesn't take having to see it after the fact to know that.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Kuma came up with a good moveset that worked for any Animal Crossing character. Don't know why you have to act like we're revising history or something, a lot of us had similar ideas we just thought it would not happen.
GY, read this post. I implore you.

Less butthurt will come from your posts.

Smooth Criminal

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Is the point you're trying to make Golden that despite everyone giving him tools, no one ever gave him the Balloon Fighter gear? In that instance, I'd say you're wholly correct, but I think you know exactly why we never did that. :shades:

Poor Balloon Fighter. Takamaru's better anyway.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

People who actually played Animal Crossing have been making such claims LONG before the reveal. Hell, look at the Villager/Tom Nook fan movesets for BRAWL. They show approximately what we've seen with the Village (except maybe the pocketing projectile move). You can't just say "Oh well it's already confirmed so your points are invalid." Comparing Villager to Chrom is ridiculous.

D

Deleted member

Is the point you're trying to make Golden that despite everyone giving him tools, no one ever gave him the Balloon Fighter gear? In that instance, I'd say you're wholly correct, but I think you know exactly why we never did that. :shades:

Far from it.
The point is that no one seemed to have made anything as expansive as Sakurai's take on the character, and just because "oh, he/Nook uses tools" has correlation with what happened.

But whatever, seeing as I'm being gangbanged here I'll just cut my losses and take back what I said about Villager.

People want to feel good about themselves, who am I, big nasty Golden, to stop them.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude

In a move set discussion I did suggesta recovery move which has Tom Nook hang on to a present balloon which drops a food item when popped. ;)
The Balloon Fighter gear is a great shout out to the NES games included in the GCN version of the game.
EDIT: The boxing gloves too.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Balloon Fighter gear is a great shout out to the NES games included in the GCN version of the game.

Aw man, that's so true. I miss those; such a fun little addition to the GCN game! Wish they'd put GBC games or something in New Leaf, but alas. :sadsheep:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Regarding to Chrom, if he does manage to slither his way into the game, there better be something worthwhile about the character to merit that inclusion. That guy is going to run into problems when more colorful options like Takamaru and Shulk are also available.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Villager was never boring unless you lacked an understanding of the resources. No one is patting their back. If Villager were to be in, his only option of moves is his in-game items, THAT IS IT THERE IS NOTHING ELSE. Because we obviously saw this resource, we were well aware of how interesting he could be. It isn't comparing what we came up with what Sakurai did, but that isn't the point. We already knew the potential. In Sakurai's hands it was, as Hoots put it, "bound to be one of the most interesting newcomers".

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Regarding to Chrom, if he does manage to slither his way into the game, there better be something worthwhile about the character to merit that inclusion. That guy is going to run into problems when more colorful options like Takamaru and Shulk are also available.
Are we really still doubting Sakurai's ability to come up with a fun and engaging moveset for any newcomer?

Ike was another one of the dreaded "blue-haired sword-using Lords" and yet had a unique and extremely fun moveset, to the point where he was one of the more popular characters. There's no reason to expect that Chrom, a returning Roy, or any other FE character would not receive the same treatment.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Oh look, another Fire Emblem discussion .

Anyways with Another Link, Marth, Roy, Ike,and Shulk all potentially getting in, Chrom better bring something new to the table.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh stop Golden, there is no need for the melodrama. The point is that a lot of Animal Crossing fans had similar ideas to what we saw in Villager. Sure, they weren't dot for dot what some of us came up with, but nobody was going to guess Balloon Fighter hat recovery. That isn't even the issue though, all I've been trying to point out is any way you slice the issue it was pretty much a given that any Animal Crossing character by their nature would have been an awkward fighter if playable. It did not require a lot of foresight to know that would be true.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel like Sakurai, IF HE WAS RUNNING THIS NEW DOJO LIKE THE OLD ONE, he'd say something like "the Villager has been playing too many NES games."

Though would his balloon helmet wholly be a reference to Balloon Fighter. I mean, Animal Crossing has its fair share of balloons (though I guess that's why the reference works).

bobadz

Smash Ace
Ike had sword beams, Aether(which was introduced in FE9 if I'm not mistaken.), and a sequel before he was confirmed.

Chrom only has Aether.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
By the way I still hope Villager pulls out some random fish or bugs as part of an attack... At least a taunt... always wanted him to use one of his EXPRESSIONS as an attack. Mostly the EXCLAMATION MARK ONE for the sake of lots of Snake jokes.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ike was another one of the dreaded "blue-haired sword-using Lords" and yet had a unique and extremely fun moveset, to the point where he was one of the more popular characters.
Because his Ragnall provided a different playstyle from Marth, a slower yet stronger character to contrast Marth's more light footed swordplay. No other Lord could exactly emulate that, barring possibly Hector.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Villager's dance when he is done paying off a loan should be a taunt. That and like you say, he should pull out a random fish or bug to "Show it off". Perhaps the third can be expressions.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Because his Ragnall provided a different playstyle from Marth, a slower yet stronger character to contrast Marth's more light footed swordplay. No other Lord could exactly emulate that, barring possibly Hector.
This.

Lucina is more popular then Chrom, and can a more useful unit then him. Ike is arguably the most powerful lord in the series and one of the most popular. Just putting that out there.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Ike had sword beams, Aether(which was introduced in FE9 if I'm not mistaken.), and a sequel before he was confirmed.

Chrom only has Aether.
They can give Chrom any skill he could reclass into, as well as moves original to Smash. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that Ike had the Eruption move in his games.

Seriously, anybody who thinks Sakurai can't make a unique and fun moveset for any character needs to take a long, hard look at the roster of every game in the series.

This.

Lucina is more popular then Chrom, and can a more useful unit then him. Ike is arguably the most powerful lord in the series and one of the most popular. Just putting that out there.
Wait, you're arguing that Chrom isn't interesting enough and you want the Marth lookalike instead? :p

I'd enjoy Lucina just as much as Chrom, but visually she is so similar to Marth that I can't see her getting in as a separate character. Unless they give her a significant reworking she creates too much potential for visual confusion.

You're not giving Sakurai anywhere near enough credit.

I'll say it again: if Roy, as a near-exact clone, managed to garner a sizable following, Chrom will be fine.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I've always had this idea (about five years to be exact) that if Villager were playable he should have the default town theme from the GC Animal Crossing game as his victory jingle. Absolutely perfect if arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom