• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobadz

Smash Ace
They can give Chrom any skill he could reclass into, as well as moves original to Smash. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that Ike had the Eruption move in his games.

Seriously, anybody who thinks Sakurai can't make a unique and fun moveset for any character needs to take a long, hard look at the roster of every game in the series.

Wait, you're arguing that Chrom isn't interesting enough and you want the Marth lookalike instead? :p

I'd enjoy Lucina just as much as Chrom, but visually she is so similar to Marth that I can't see her getting in as a separate character. Unless they give her a significant reworking she creates too much potential for visual confusion.

You're not giving Sakurai anywhere near enough credit.
Maybe I'm not, but I stand by what I say until Sakurai proves me wrong.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Seriously, anybody who thinks Sakurai can't make a unique and fun moveset for any character needs to take a long, hard look at the roster of every game in the series.
Don't you think instead of trying to MAKE Chrom interesting, he'd go with someone who actually IS interesting?

I presume he'd just go back to Roy, since that third FE character idea already exists, and just play up the fire sword schtick. Would easily become at least much LESS of a clone, and it's something the roster doesn't yet have. Then there's the whole he's already a popular and requested character thing.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Don't you think instead of trying to MAKE Chrom interesting, he'd go with someone who actually IS interesting?

I presume he'd just go back to Roy, since that third FE character idea already exists, and just play up the fire sword schtick. Would easily become at least much LESS of a clone, and it's something the roster doesn't yet have. Then there's the whole he's already a popular and requested character thing.
I really don't see what makes Roy any more interesting than Chrom, to be honest. They can put pretty effects on Chrom's sword too if they want to (heck, they did for Ike). Doesn't really change anything; both of them are sword-wielding dudes from the same franchise. Roy's got the popularity due to being a cut Melee character, but that doesn't make him more interesting than Chrom; it just makes him popular.

If we're taking "visually interesting" as the biggest priority for newcomers here, Nintendo should really only be looking to currently unrepresented franchises, and retro franchises in particular.

otter

Smash Ace
I've always wanted a Kid Icarus: Uprising version of Starfox. Have the on-rails Arwing combat that we have come to know & love, but also ground base combat that is similar to Ratchet & Clank. I'd say 60% Arwing combat 40% platforming laser gun fest.

F-Zero would be welcomed as well as Pokemon Snap game.

its called starfox assualt. although uprising was a good game, I was really bummed to see my favorite nintendo IP used on a Starfox re-skin.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I wouldn't start saying "presume" with Sakurai after the Wii Fit Trainer... This is really just a crazy ride we'll have to stick to. It's truly the ride that never ends.

That said, seeing an axed Melee character come back would be pretty strange

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really don't see what makes Roy any more interesting than Chrom, to be honest. They can put pretty effects on Chrom's sword too if they want to (heck, they did for Ike). Doesn't really change anything; both of them are sword-wielding dudes from the same franchise. Roy's got the popularity due to being a cut Melee character, but that doesn't make him more interesting than Chrom; it just makes him popular.

If we're taking "visually interesting" as the biggest priority for newcomers here, Nintendo should really only be looking to currently unrepresented franchises, and retro franchises in particular.
Fire makes Roy more interesting.

TBH I don't find Fire Emblem characters interesting AT ALL unless they are Nowi or Lissa

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Fire makes Roy more interesting.
They gave Ike's sword a bunch of fire and energy effects in Brawl.

I agree that we can do much better for interesting Fire Emblem characters than any of the Lords, but unfortunately the secondary characters just don't have the popularity, and popularity really does matter.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Speaking of. I'm hoping for more outlandish color swaps in the next game, especially humanoid characters.

In other fighting games (especially ArcSys games) they do a lot to a costume without even coming up with a completely alternate costume. Things like different hair color, interesting/unique color palettes, even references to other characters in the game.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
How would you guys feel if Sakurai gave Ike's moveset (of course with some tweaks) to Gannondorf, then replaced Ike with someone else from FE?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Speaking of. I'm hoping for more outlandish color swaps in the next game, especially humanoid characters.

In other fighting games (especially ArcSys games) they do a lot to a costume without even coming up with a completely alternate costume. Things like different hair color, interesting/unique color palettes, even references to other characters in the game.
Yeah, agreed. Sakurai's comments about alternate costumes have me a bit worried, so I am eagerly awaiting further information on their plans for costume/palette swaps in SSB4.

Tune, mah dude, you just fell for the Psycho Special.

Smooth Criminal
Hah, good to know.

How would you guys feel if Sakurai gave Ike's moveset (of course with some tweaks) to Gannondorf, then replaced Ike with someone else from FE?
I do like Ganon not having the sword, honestly. He feels a lot more brutal of a fighter just using energy punches and whatnot. Movesets transferring like that would feel a bit odd, though I am certainly not averse to Ganon getting the sword. I know there's a lot of demand for that.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yea, I'd say go for Takamaru and/or Shulk for another sword character or two rather than another FE representative. This way more series are represented and different takes on swordplay.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

The thing that immediately came to mind is Mario's yellow costume, Wario's red Land alt, and Luigi's purple costume.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
They could always add an FE character, that, y'know, doesn't fight with a sword.
Hector seems to be the only viable option, unfortunately, and his time has probably passed. Secondary characters just do not have the popularity. Anna's the only you could even make an argument for, and even she is a pretty extreme long shot.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Ike is replaced, I would hate his replacement with a burning passion.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Which is a damn shame. So many cool types of weapons and units and FE is doomed to always be represented by swords...
I have hope that we might some day see Anna in a Smash game if she continues to play a more active role in the series, but it won't be this one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

If they can change his specials and Final Smash, sure. None of the specials make much sense for Ganondorf. I could see his Down B being something like a Cape Reflect, similar to how Falco does it, that is, requiring timing. The notable thing about this version, is that unlike the other Reflectors, it can't break. Then there are his Energy Balls, Flame Choke, and I'm not sure what to replace Dark Dive with. Albeit, this is for OOT Ganondorf specifically.

And most know I want Toon Ganondorf instead. I'd say both are legitimately possible since WW HD and OOT 3D are the latest Dorf designs.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I do like Ganon not having the sword, honestly. He feels a lot more brutal of a fighter just using energy punches and whatnot. Movesets transferring like that would feel a bit odd, though I am certainly not averse to Ganon getting the sword. I know there's a lot of demand for that.
Yeah, I can imagine it would feel strange, but I don't think getting over it would be a problem in the slightest. I do like Ganondorf that runs up and slaps you in the face, but idk, I think he misses his sword lol, and I think it'd be a nice opportunity to add someone else to the roster.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

It's not necessarily the effects, but more like "what all can you do with a fire sword?" Maybe point the sword in a direction that causes an explosion some distance away, a strong swing might send out a wave of flames, a cut in the air might leave a lingering burning effect. Just go wild with the idea. I agree though, Fire Emblem is full of a just bunch of sword-wielding dudes. Which is why you have to be careful who you add. Golden asked why Chrom can't get away with doing what Marth does, and it's because Marth already does it. You want someone that actually adds something.

Just seems like Chrom supporters latch on to him because he's new, then just figure the moveset is an afterthought. "You can make any character unique" is never convincing.

Come to think of it, Narbarl was Sakurai's favorite FE character, yeah? A thief? Isn't Anna a thief? Maybe that's only in a special case, BUT STILL. Maybe he could put any ideas he thought of for Narbarl onto Anna. :awesome:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
ALSO
I wouldn't start saying "presume" with Sakurai after the Wii Fit Trainer... This is really just a crazy ride we'll have to stick to. It's truly the ride that never ends.
That's why presume is the word to use, because it's assuming something without good reason, lol.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Just seems like Chrom supporters latch on to him because he's new, then just figure the moveset is an afterthought. "You can make any character unique" is never convincing.
I guess I don't see why not? It's held true for three games so far. Indeed, if anything, Roy is less likely to be unique than a total newcomer because the team may strive to retain some of his Melee moveset in order to appeal to his Melee fans.

Come to think of it, Narbarl was Sakurai's favorite FE character, yeah? A thief? Isn't Anna a thief? Maybe that's only in a special case, BUT STILL. Maybe he could put any ideas he thought of for Narbarl onto Anna. :awesome:
We can only hope.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Whoever the FE newcomer is, I really hope that they don't have Counter. I want something unique on that down-B.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I gotta buy em all!

I need all these figurines!

Status