• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
It was an interesting read, but I'm a little concerned that Sakurai "won't talk as much this time".

D

Deleted member

new article(?) on sakurai's thoughts with adding and removing characters: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection
I think it proves what Starphoenix said about Sakurai taking cuts more seriously than us, which is surprising. With him trying to bring as many characters in as possible, it seems as Sakurai is really hesitant to cut in general and will only cut if time constraints comes up, if they're not unique enough (Young Link) or wasn't received well (Pichu). Licensing issues could also contribute to a cut of guests or if Sakurai feel they should be a one-time thing. Either way though, outside of Snake, Sonic and Toon Link, I don't see anyone being cut for any reason other than time constraints.

I'm surprised to hear that the approval process for Mega Man went smoothly. Capcom being enthusiastic about Mega Man appearing was really something I didn't see. It also confirmed that in order for Mega Man to get in, Sakurai had to come to Capcom. Hearing this makes me feel better about Mega Man's future.

Uniqueness is also playing an especially big factor in character selection, which we should all pay attention to.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
During the development of Sakurai's last Smash Bros. game, 2008's Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii, this is the type of insight we'd hear from the designer through the Super Smash Bros. Dojo website. Sakurai said we should expect to hear less from him during the development of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. The developer promises "daily visual updates" from his desk will be posted to Miiverse and on the game's official website.

"I'm not going to talk as much," he said.
Yeah, definitely sounds like Dojo-style updates are unlikely. That's unfortunate, they really built up my hype like crazy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
new article(?) on sakurai's thoughts with adding and removing characters: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Well it is good at least that he considers those who loved the characters he may decide to cut. Guess they will happen then. Well if Toon Link gets cut, and Mewtwo doesn't come back and neither Layton gets added. I think I should think a bit more deeply about who I'm going to main in this game. I might return to maining Ness if there is no other interesting characters for me. After all, he has always been my secondary since Melee. :/

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hurm... So we should expect to hear less from him? In that context, sounds like we won't be seeing many, if any, silly comments on the DOJO.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, hadn't it been for time constraints, Brawl would have Roy, Dr. Mario and Mewtwo back and the only removed characters would be Pichu and Young Link.

Sakurai cares about the characters and cares about the players. Sakurai has also stated that he will want to add as many characters as possible, so those are generally good news for the roster.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The most interesting part for me was that Sakurai admitted he looked at various surveys, not just the Brawl one. I mean, we kind of figured that, but nice to know not just the official one makes an impact on him. And nice to know Mega Man was second in the Brawl poll (for third parties), but that's kinda obvious. Maybe one day we'll get the full results (yeah right). :laugh:

I don't even know what the hell an Asage is. Sounds like some sort of Chinese knockoff of Sega.
This is an Asage. Duh. :awesome:

We need moar of these Oasis.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's also interesting that we're hearing about his Brawl poll again. Apparently Mega Man was actually second to Sonic? Am I reading that right?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think I like the approach he is taking with this games development.
At least i don't have to worry about the temptation of spoiling myself on new characters on the DOJO.

D

Deleted member

Are we really back on Impa people? Really? Okay, how about we get off of this subject and try discussing something else.

I've been thinking a little bit more about what WiFi features should be implemented into the next game, and I think these are the most reasonable:

- Create a streamlined process for adding NNID users. Friend codes are gone for the most part anyways.
- Allow for users to restrict match searches by region. This will go a long way in managing online lag.
- Offer ranked and unranked battles. Players can use their tags to evaluate online match performance compared to their offline statistics.
- Offer 1v1, free for all and team battle modes.
- Allow for two local players to engage in online team battles. That way if little Johnny and his sister want to team up online to battle other players they can.
- Allow for 3-4 stock matches with a five minute time limit (maybe shorter).

Anything else missing?
I like all of these ideas.

I think that voice chat should definitely be made available. I do remember Sakurai stating he wanted to implement it in Brawl, but couldn't. I think there's a good chance we'll see it around, although there should be the option to turn it on and off with friends and with other people.

We should be able to select by country as well. Meaning that if we want to fight against Japanese (or hopefully even Sakurai), we should.

Ideas for a tournament mode online has also been thrown around, which would be great to see.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hurm... So we should expect to hear less from him? In that context, sounds like we won't be seeing many, if any, silly comments on the DOJO.
Don't count on it just yet, there is still the possibilities of cringe worthy phrases in future trailers revealing new characters.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think it proves what Starphoenix said about Sakurai taking cuts more seriously than us, which is surprising. With him trying to bring as many characters in as possible, it seems as Sakurai is really hesitant to cut in general and will only cut if time constraints comes up, if they're not unique enough (Young Link) or wasn't received well (Pichu). Licensing issues could also contribute to a cut of guests or if Sakurai feel they should be a one-time thing. Either way though, outside of Snake, Sonic and Toon Link, I don't see anyone being cut for any reason other than time constraints.

I'm surprised to hear that the approval process for Mega Man went smoothly. Capcom being enthusiastic about Mega Man appearing was really something I didn't see. It also confirmed that in order for Mega Man to get in, Sakurai had to come to Capcom. Hearing this makes me feel better about Mega Man's future.

Uniqueness is also playing an especially big factor in character selection, which we should all pay attention to.
Exactly. Again, this is a much different attitude than he had prior to Brawl when he announced there would be cuts.
It's also interesting that we're hearing about his Brawl poll again. Apparently Mega Man was actually second to Sonic? Am I reading that right?
Second most requested guest character.
I like all of these ideas.

I think that voice chat should definitely be made available. I do remember Sakurai stating he wanted to implement it in Brawl, but couldn't. I think there's a good chance we'll see it around, although there should be the option to turn it on and off with friends and with other people.

We should be able to select by country as well. Meaning that if we want to fight against Japanese (or hopefully even Sakurai), we should.

Ideas for a tournament mode online has also been thrown around, which would be great to see.
Selecting by country is pretty much regional settings...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Given those news, I think the only characters in danger are Toon Link, Snake and Sonic, like SSBF said.

Seems that no cuts is something Sakurai may aim for...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel sorry for the guy now. How hard must it have been for him to be asked if Mewtwo will return during E3.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Given those news, I think the only characters in danger are Toon Link, Snake and Sonic, like SSBF said.

Seems that no cuts is something Sakurai may aim for...
I don't think Sakurai will get rid of Sonic. He did take the time to acknowledge that Sonic and Mega Man are one of the most requested characters for smash.

Toon Link, Falco/Wolf seem to be on the chopping block, going be Sakurai's comments on evaluating who in the roster adds variety. From the way that he's talking it's as if he is going to make cuts and is

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't even know what the hell an Asage is. Sounds like some sort of Chinese knockoff of Sega.

Long story short

There once was a poster named asage.
His name was compared to a sausage.
Asage's fuse blew,
and then Oasis drew,
then the picture became kind of a bossage.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think Sakurai will get rid of Sonic. He did take the time to acknowledge that Sonic and Mega Man are one of the most requested characters for smash.
Toon Link, Falco/Wolf seem to be on the chopping block, going be Sakurai's evaluation of who adds to the the roster variety
Yeah... But, considering he changed Falco a lot in Brawl, I want to believe he's back.

I think Sonic (and Snake, too) should be back. I doubt Sega and Konami would give him much trouble, considering how well received were those two characters in Brawl.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I find it especially hard to believe he's going to get rid of Sonic, and after this I find it hard to believe he's going to make any cuts. However, I believe it's more important to him to get some new faces in there, and that he'll make cuts if he has to. Seems about right.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Wasn't Asage the guy who had the Victini avatar and made the support thread for it?

Edit: Also, Sonic desperately needs to stay. He needs to be made with a better set design, people love him still, and Mario vs Mega Man vs Sonic would be awesome.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah... But, considering he changed Falco a lot in Brawl, I want to believe he's back.

I think Sonic (and Snake, too) should be back. I doubt Sega and Konami would give him much trouble, considering how well received were those two characters in Brawl.
I agree. I think Falco and Wolf will be back and will receive moveset changes like Pit and Bowser has had. Same goes for Ganondorf and his moveset.

It also makes me hopeful that King K. Rool will get in over Dixie Kong, seeing how Dixie (and this may cause me to catch some flack, but here goes nothing) is a female Diddy with the ability to glide through the use of her hair. I doubt she will add that much variety to the roster as King K. Rool will.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
Second most requested guest character.
I'm pleasantly surprised that Mega Man was the second most wanted guest character. I've heard that Geno was considerably more popular than Mega Man during the pre-Brawl era, but then again, they were incredibly loud as well. Also proof that Sakurai is looking back at pre-Brawl stuff for characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree. I think Falco and Wolf will be back and will receive moveset changes like Pit and Bowser has had. Same goes for Ganondorf and his moveset.

It also makes me hopeful that King K. Rool will get in over Dixie Kong, seeing how Dixie is Diddy with the ability to glide through the use of her hair.. I doubt she will add that much variety to the roster as King K. Rool will
Reading that article, it seems to me that Sakurai rethinks on the already established characters. Sakurai stated that, while it could be easier to keep the character as is because that's how has it been, he goes to think on why was that character previously added.
I think this might bode well for the clone characters that could have more unique movesets, for example, Ganondorf.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
TBH-- I'm glad he isn't going to speak as much this time around.

While "dojo" updates built up a lot of hype back then, it really ruined a lot of the experience as a whole once we all got our hands on the game, since we all literally knew everything about it. More importantly though, having made most of the updates on ProjectM, I know firsthand how much work goes into "dojo updates" and how tedious it can be. Having Sakurai take a step back from the updates and focus more on the development of the game is very reassuring to me and shows me he's very serious about spending 100% of his effort on making smash4 as great as possible.

As far characters who are going to be cut, I'm personally not worried at all. As long as the movement, the physics, the combos, and the core gameplay in general are good, I know for sure that I will find someone in the game that I want to play as eventually. I love Toon Link with a passion, but his inclusion in Brawl literally meant nothing to me because I hated that way he felt and how the game played. If he gets cut, I will not feel bad as long as the game is fun. It's easy to find a "main".

IMO sakurai is doing a good job doing things differently and avoiding the past "mistakes" that he made in brawl. The constant focus of the dojo, the heavy focus on the single player SSE mode, the heavy push on trying to squeeze in as many characters as possible are all out the window. Now it's all back to business, like how he developed Melee. He realizes tripping was a horrible mechanic for both casual and competitive audiences-- heck, he realizes that there IS a competitive audience and that he needs to cater to them as well.

I'm excited to see how the game shapes up, and the design choices he makes this time around.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Reading that article, it seems to me that Sakurai rethinks on the already established characters. Sakurai stated that, while it could be easier to keep the character as is because that's how has it been, he goes to think on why was that character previously added.
I think this might bode well for the clone characters that could have more unique movesets, for example, Ganondorf.

My god, if he gave Ganon a unique moveset and Namco balanced him back to his Melee glory levels, it would be simply the greatest. I'm going to agree with Moon Monkey also that Sakurai's words in the article give me more hope that the "popular but more obviously unique" characters like K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena and Mac have better chances than more obviously semi-clone material characters.

And don't cut Wolf. Make him unique!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm pleasantly surprised that Mega Man was the second most wanted guest character. I've heard that Geno was considerably more popular than Mega Man during the pre-Brawl era, but then again, they were incredibly loud as well. Also proof that Sakurai is looking back at pre-Brawl stuff for characters.
I think Villager proved that. Kind of funny how we keep coming back to this:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Even though these were not the official poll results from Sakurai's Brawl poll, it makes you wonder where these characters did end up on the real poll we haven't seen. Of course it is also nice to hear he's looking at modern surveys too. Never know, maybe he even read some of Short's polls!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I understand Sakurai's point on this. Ppl these days are selfish and wants this and that, but what about what the developer wants?

What should we thankful for? We should be thankful that:
-We're even getting a new Smash Bros after Brawl
-There's a Wii U version for excellent HD and looks
-There's a 3ds version for those who want to play Smash on the go
-Sakurai does listen to the fans. Why else do you think Sonic and Megaman made it to Brawl and Smash4 respectively?

And keep in mind that WFT is one of Sakurai's own wants, and half of us have grown to like her. Granted, not all of us will be satisfied and that's a given, but we're all gonna have to get used to changes as said before once the game comes out. Besides, for those who are unable to adapt to the changes, then you're definitely gonna have a hard time, and hopefully will find another character that fits you. Who knows? You may find that different but special character that fits you as you try em out.
All-in-all, relax everyone. D:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just read that part where Sakurai said its extremely difficult for him to cut characters. The axing of Mewtwo and Roy must have gotten to him. I am now feeling much more optimistic about the game now. I would not be surprised if the only characters we lose are Snake, Sonic, and/or Toon Link (who will simply be replaced with another design of child Link).

I also think Sakurai preferring Ike to stay, and wanting characters that contrast well with the rest of the cast, bodes ill for Chrom. I think Sakurai could very well go with the My Unit (or possibly Anna) if wants to go with a FE13 character and rules out cutting Ike.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
TBH-- I'm glad he isn't going to speak as much this time around.

While "dojo" updates built up a lot of hype back then, it really ruined a lot of the experience as a whole once we all got our hands on the game, since we all literally knew everything about it. More importantly though, having made most of the updates on ProjectM, I know firsthand how much work goes into "dojo updates" and how tedious it can be. Having Sakurai take a step back from the updates and focus more on the development of the game is very reassuring to me and shows me he's very serious about spending 100% of his effort on making smash4 as great as possible.
I thought it was weird that he saved the Special Move updates for the veterans like Zelda and Peach until after the game was released... I mean, really?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
That sounds good. I really hope they give Ganon his trident... and fix up Lucas while they are at it.
Based off of this quote:
Masahiro Sakurai said:
What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?
I'm pretty sure Mewtwo and Lucario will overlap in what the offer the smash roster, so the way I see it, it's going to be either one or the other. I'm not expecting a lot of cuts, but whoever is cut I'm sure it will be for a good reason.

This is getting me really excited. First no tripping, then faster gameplay, then a balance between casual fun and competitive fun and now he's putting more of an emphasis on character variety? Jeez when is this game available fore pre-order!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Didn't realize a new interview came out until I saw it on Gamefaqs.

Mega Man being the most requested guest character after Sonic doesn't surprise me in the slightest. What does surprise me though is that Capcom was very open to the idea and that the process of adding him was quick (so I guess that relates to what Sakurai said about him being a very special case).

It's good to hear that Sakurai hates cuts just as, if not more than the fanbase, but the fact that it keeps being brought up so much naturally makes me uneasy.

Also am bummed to hear that we won't be hearing from Sakurai as much during the game's development.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just read that part where Sakurai said its extremely difficult for him to cut characters. The axing of Mewtwo and Roy must have gotten to him. I am now feeling much more optimistic about the game now. I would not be surprised if the only characters we lose are Snake, Sonic, and/or Toon Link (who will simply be replaced with another design of child Link).

I also think Sakurai preferring Ike to stay, and wanting characters that contrast well with the rest of the cast, bodes ill for Chrom. I think Sakurai could very well go with the My Unit (or possibly Anna) if wants to go with a FE13 Anna and rules out cutting Ike.

If he decides to go for Anna then that would make me extremely happy and the inevitable blow of Toon Link's removal would be something I can easily get over with. Next to Layton, Anna is my most wanted character.

But if none of them are in the game. I guess I would still have Ness then.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We also need to realize that we can't just the "Anyone can be made unique." argument willy nilly. I think out of the current roster, the ones that are "endangered" are Falco, Wolf (maybe), Lucas (maybe, but he and Ness need revamps), Toon Link, and, due to being third parties, Snake and Sonic. We might as well include Roy in this while we're at it.

So with this in mind, what potential characters do you think have the ability to really stick out on the cutting room floor? Seeing that article made me really think Lyn stands a decent chance (mostly because of her AT status).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom