• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Get rid of stickers, but not trophies. They don't actually take up much data on their own. I've said before, the biggest space hog in Brawl is all that music.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I looooooove having all that music tho.
From what I understand, most of the music in Brawl is horribly uncompressed. Just have a better compression method, and we could probably fit a game with more contend than Brawl on a 3DS cart.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yeah maybe, but seing how Sakuai sought to "push the Wii's abilities" with Brawl it's likely that BRSTM compression was the best and most compact option for the game at the time.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm not advocating music be cut. I'm just pointing out that Brawls' music takes up more space than most anything else.

Here's some stuff from an old post of mine:

The music files are several MB apiece - most character files are a few hunderd KB. Stages can range from a few hundred KB to a few MB. Nes games are about 8 MB apiece, so not much bigger than most music files. The Ocarina of time partition is over 50 MB.

Largest music file: 8 MB
Largest Stage: 4 MB

Character directory: 662 MB
VS Stage directory: 147 MB
Adventure Stage Directory: 504 MB
Music directory: 1 GB

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
do you think there's a chance they'll make it for the wii? like if the wii u doesnt sell as well as they'd hoped? i dont really wanna buy a new system for a new game :(

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
do you think there's a chance they'll make it for the wii? like if the wii u doesnt sell as well as they'd hoped? i dont really wanna buy a new system for a new game :(
Nope. This ain't Pokemon, Sakurai embraces the new systems.

Plus Nintendo stated they were done with first-party Wii games.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Nope. This ain't Pokemon, Sakurai embraces the new systems.

Plus Nintendo stated they were done with first-party Wii games.
Exactly. Iwata knew that Super Smash Bros 4 will help the systems to sell because people would buy Wii U for Mario, Link, Metroid, SSB, MK and Pokemon.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Yah they should get rid of alot of trophies and stickers... No body uses them and it takes up data that you could use for stuff.
Maybe get rid of stickers, but not trophies. Having to collect and complete trophies, achievements and other unlockables are there to provide incentive for people to complete the game.

Do you think they will add any levels higher than 9? I know they didn't do it in any of the games but just think... I still can't take my mind off how many trophies they will cram into this game XD
I don't think so since Sakurai has stuck with only nine levels for his games for so long now. O.o

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People really use trophies as incentives? Maybe they should have something better as incentives. Something you can actually interact with in some way or soemthing

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
People really use trophies as incentives? Maybe they should have something better as incentives. Something you can actually interact with in some way or soemthing
Yep. Some people would literally collect everything just to complete the game. Collecting all trophies, stickers and CDs do count in your Data -> Notices, though.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
The only things I care about completely unlocking are stages and characters. Trophies are very cool collectibles but don't really matter in the core game experience.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I enjoyed collecting the trophies in Melee because I enjoyed learning about Nintendo history. This was before I heard of the internet.

This all raises the thorny question of what should or shouldn't be unlockeable. Some people don't like having to unlock characters, but there are some people who think that making characters unlockeable is the only way to reward people for playing the single player.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
What if they kept stickers in the 3DS version, and they would be like powers in Kid Icarus: Uprising? You could then move the characters with the stickers onto the Wii U version of the game and there's is an option to allow them or not. :cool:

As for unlockable characters, yes. I think they were easy enough to get in Brawl and it's nice to have a surprise. :upsidedown:

:phone:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
What if they kept stickers in the 3DS version, and they would be like powers in Kid Icarus: Uprising? You could then move the characters with the stickers onto the Wii U version of the game and there's is an option to allow them or not. :cool:
Considering Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising have similar influences, he might add some of those elements to Smash 4 in the single player mode as well.

Smash 4 would probably have similar second screen experiences since it's going to the Wii U and 3DS versions, but I hope Sakurai utilises the touch screen well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This has been a pressing problem in the fighting genre for quite some time. Collectables only ensure replayability for the casual player for so long. I think some things like leaderboards for things like Break the Targets would be really good.

This all raises the thorny question of what should or shouldn't be unlockeable. Some people don't like having to unlock characters, but there are some people who think that making characters unlockeable is the only way to reward people for playing the single player.
I would rather they not be locked up because I feel we're past that day and age of that as it's also the same pressing question as to why we still have lives in videogames. Not only that, but people competitively playing has been going up in the last few years and for TO's, having to unlock stuff is a total inconvenience.

And as I've said before, I feel if you're playing a fighting game for unlocking stuff, you're playing for the wrong reasons. That kind of thing should be a bonus (like concept art) and not be how you "extend" the life of the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This has been a pressing problem in the fighting genre for quite some time. Collectables only ensure replayability for the casual player for so long. I think some things like leaderboards for things like Break the Targets would be really good.
Smash doesn't have a problem with replayablity. Other fighting games have that problem because there isn't really anything in them beyond 1v1 fights. Smash has a lot more dynamics to it. Trophies are cute little extras anyway.

I would rather they not be locked up because I feel we're past that day and age of that as it's also the same pressing question as to why we still have lives in videogames. Not only that, but people competitively playing has been going up in the last few years and for TO's, having to unlock stuff is a total inconvenience.

And as I've said before, I feel if you're playing a fighting game for unlocking stuff, you're playing for the wrong reasons. That kind of thing should be a bonus (like concept art) and not be how you "extend" the life of the game.
That's nice, but hidden characters are still liked by fans of the series. It has also been getting progressively easier to get all the characters. The most matches you need in Brawl to unlock all the characters is 450.

Also, no one considers unlocking to be extending the longevity. Most of that is found in Smash's design.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They should make trophies controllable. That way if your favorite character doesn't make it to them game, you still have some way of controlling them. And then wondering why they weren't made fully playable in the game.

It will drive people mad

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
They should make trophies controllable. That way if your favorite character doesn't make it to them game, you still have some way of controlling them. And then wondering why they weren't made fully playable in the game.

It will drive people mad
While I don't see that happening, I think if maybe you could have a "Trophies in Motion" feature. Hit a button and the trophy briefly has an animation (a piranha plant popping up and down).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Animation for trophies would be a nice touch actually. Kinda like the idols from Kid Icarus: Uprising, but maybe only used for the fighter characters to make them more "special" I guess.

Which reminds me, am I the only person that would like the little animation whenever a character is selected from Super Smash Bros. returning, instead of the stoic image that started with Super Smash Bros. Melee?

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I thought the little animations were totally awesome. Plus they matched up with the casual and lulzy tone the game and it's artwork leaned towards. Melee's art style and overall tone/feel was aiming for realistic and living. The portraits worked for that look and feel and even oozzed a bit of heroism. The direction Brawl took was something like larger than life (despite having Air Ride's menu) but expanded on the heroics Melee's art style hinted introduced. Character portraits worked well for this too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd rather Stickers stay, but they do need to have a lot of them removed, as well as avoid repeats of characters and having the exact same bonus... for a bigger Sticker. In other words, overhaul it a bit.

Trophies could use a bit of pruning for removing a few useless ones, and adding more from non-Pokemon/Kirby series.

And yes, the character animations are amazing. Hope they fully come back. Those little things are what made Smash so great.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'd rather Stickers stay, but they do need to have a lot of them removed, as well as avoid repeats of characters and having the exact same bonus... for a bigger Sticker. In other words, overhaul it a bit.

Trophies could use a bit of pruning for removing a few useless ones, and adding more from non-Pokemon/Kirby series.

Given that Sakurai is Mr. Kirby and Pokemon has the most characters, I'm going to guess they will (along with Mario's universe) will continue to have a large portion of trophies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's fine if every represented series gets a bunch too. Minimum 3 each besides the two/three Character Trophies. The Yoshi series could've atleast had Shy Guy and Kamek, that is, besides obviously Yoshi, Super Dragon Yoshi, and Baby Mario & Baby Luigi. :|

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The big problem with Brawl's trophies was that it was mostly 3D model rips. This meant sprite based games like MOTHER and Wario didn't have much to choose from. As a result, the share of trophies was greatly disproportionate.

:phone:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
HyperFalcon: You mean Baby Mario and Baby Peach.

To be honest, Brawl messed up in means of trophies. Mario got too much because it had some unnecessary trophies, like "Kritter Goalie", or "Wedding Peach and Bowser". And what's even worse that some of the models didn't even match the ones ingame: looking at Bob-Omb and the Green Shell.

And then those trophy sections for other franchises which were almost like neglected, like Yoshi, Wario and especially Fire Emblem, which could've had tons of characters to choose from. And don't get me started on Kid Icarus, which could have had many trophies about the characters from the first game but none of them were given any kind of trophy treatment (And while KIU might've have been a good way to justify that, it still irks me to not see them in their original forms). Ice Climbers again doesn't IMO deserve a spot, could just belong to Other's-section like R.O.B did.

It makes me disappointed how they messed up with this mode since hearing that we'd get over 500 trophies full of Nintendo's history and it's definitely going to be mislead or not give any proper introduction to series represented in Smash Bros. And according to Brawl, NPCs don't matter in world of Pokemon! Not even Prof.Oak or Misty for crying out loud even if they were in Melee!

IMO the most well-done were DK, Kirby, Metroid and the Others-section: they coverred many kinds of trophies throughout the series. To a lesser degree, Mario. Zelda had trophies only from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess most of the time. No Vaati even shown? What?

So yeah, they better do well now in means of trophies and balance 'em all like how Melee did it. And also not just feature trophies of the characters or NPC stuff from ingame like how they did for Mother in Brawl. Way to take a step back from Melee which had Ness's friends, Starman and other stuff.

Kuma: Other-section had nice share of characters which were 2D before but were given a 3D-treatment, like ones from Magical Starsign or Starfy. So I don't think it's necessarily due that. More like they must've been rushing with the trophies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^Yeah I agree. It was pretty obvious that series that had semi-current models to rip were given many more trophies than those series without usable models. Plus the quality was super inconsistent, look at a playable character's trophy, or even an assist trophy trophy, then look at Louie (who was obviously ripped from Pikmin 2). There's a reason series like DK and Metroid had a much better mix, they had much more to work with (3D model-wise), and most of the important characters in the series had been seen relatively recently with a model to rip. Though Metroid didn't have a Kraid or Mother Brain trophy (because they weren't recent). And the only reason the other series section was decent was because of all the original-modeled Assist Trophies. Just counting trophies that were solely trophies, Melee's selection was much better.

I doubt this was because of lazyness like some people attribute, and mostly due to being rushed, but seriously, I agree, Melee has a much better balance of trophies, whether it be a balance in the series or among other series, plus they had a good mix of newer and old-forgotten characters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brawl had no retro trophies that didn't already have a corresponding in-game model elsewhere.

It's possible Sakurai thought the stickers made up for the really spotty selection of trophies... but the stickers weren't nearly as positively received (at least aesthetically) for good reason. Hopefully SSB4 returns to the way Melee handled trophies.

And we haven't heard from the NFC capabilities of the Gamepad in a while, but if they were to release RL trophies that would interact with the game, I would buy literally every single one. I would go Skylanders all over them. :laugh:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
and we haven't heard from the nfc capabilities of the gamepad in a while, but if they were to release rl trophies that would interact with the game, i would buy literally every single one. I would go skylanders all over them. :laugh:

take my money!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume if the trophy idea was implemented, it would be primarily focus on the 50 or so fighting characters for the sake of simplicity. It would be completely optional though, since it would only unlock a special trophy and a new costume for the individual character. Maybe it would be add an alternate method of unlocking characters too, but probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom