• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
I think that the RL trophy idea would be neat, and it's not out of the question that they could make new characters with them; the same with DLC characters (Which are completely plausible for Smash 4, if you think about it). So, theoretically, if they wanted to make money like crazy, they could make special Exclusive RL Trophy characters AND make Exclusive DLC characters. I think that would be an interesting idea.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Actually, you did remind me of the idea of 'exclusive' chars in each version of the game. It could be bias... but I disagree with this ideally. Unfortunately it's a direction Sakurai could very well take if he wanted to make more money. >-<

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well it would be compensated with the idea of "importing" characters from the 3DS-version to Wii U-version and vice versa.

Speaking of 'em, for some reason I'm fearing 3DS-version might get cancelled because it would take too much resources and development time along with working on Wii U-version.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Speaking of 'em, for some reason I'm fearing 3DS-version might get cancelled because it would take too much resources and development time along with working on Wii U-version.
Really? This is the fourth smash game. Sakurai should be good at making them by now (take that as you may). He also has Namco backing him up this time around, and he's already developed a 3DS game. I'd imagine that they would have planned from the start how much resources they could give each, along with some potential safeguards (such as stuff that could be dropped from the final product). We're talking about the guy who made Melee in 13 monthes. Sakurai really doesn't seem to be the quitting type.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well it would be compensated with the idea of "importing" characters from the 3DS-version to Wii U-version and vice versa.

Yeah, except what if I don't want to get the 3DS version?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kuma: Good point... I guess that's the nitpick if it comes to "exclusive features". They just force you to buy the that game even if it means you have to buy 3DS with it.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
What if plastic NFC trophy stands were included with the game and you could put your customised characters on it and bring it to a friend's house? :idea:

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Am I the only one tired of this whole "get friends together" offline stuff that they almost never offer for online play. Only a small handful of my friends at most, play this and I'm not exactly a skip and a hop away from their house or something. That and most challenges for me are only available online is why I'm sick of this.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
When it comes to my friends, they're either too far away to play games with or they don't know anything about the game. Only once or twice have they been close to me and know what they're doing.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Nothing is said about this but i hope the xboxlike controller can be used for smash 4 also that comes with the wiiu

vicgur

Smash Ace
I'm more of a "get with friends and play" kind of guy, so I don't really care about online multiplayer. In fact, I always hate it when PS3 games have multiplayer trophies. I just can't platinum those.

PS: Also, hey. It's been a long time since I last posted something here. Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
One of the main reasons Sakurai decided to team with select Namco-Bandai members was to greatly increase the number of people working on both titles simultaneously. Besides, the prototype Bamco showed Sakurai looked "pretty good" according to his Nintendo direct statement so there's no need to worry imo.

Am I the only one tired of this whole "get friends together" offline stuff that they almost never offer for online play. Only a small handful of my friends at most, play this and I'm not exactly a skip and a hop away from their house or something. That and most challenges for me are only available online is why I'm sick of this.
I think the whole get together with friends deal is more marketable than online components considering how online is a basic must nowadays. Reminding people how much fun it is to be in a room with your buddies playing a game has a certain appeal that devs can also embrace.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It is indeed more marketable, but for someone like me, that's a luxury I'd like to have. I'd like to have most offline options be supported with online play as well.

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
I know the feeling. Nobody around me plays Brawl, except for a couple of my friends, and even then, it's hard to get together. I do enjoy coming together and playing as friends, and going to tournaments is always fun, but I would like to be able to play online as well. *shrug*

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm more of a "get with friends and play" kind of guy, so I don't really care about online multiplayer. In fact, I always hate it when PS3 games have multiplayer trophies. I just can't platinum those.
I dunno, personally the only friend I know who enjoys Brawl refuses to get in to it competitively ever since I showed him my char's Dtilt lock.... Online needs to be better IMO and I think it will be. Also Mii-verse should help. I'm still looking for that Lucario...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Fun story: On a 400 mile car trip, I fell asleep 8 times while trying to do my homework both ways. :laugh: My homework=??? Accounting. :urg: My major=??? Relies on accounting. :(
Yeah, except what if I don't want to get the 3DS version?
1. I doubt "exclusive characters" will happen for the 3DS version. Maybe exclusive maps, items, or content, but not characters. The WiiU version, however, might get that (since I have a sneaking suspicion it will come out about 6 to 18 months later), but that's another story entirely.
2. I don't know about you, but my "gut feeling" tells me that Smash 3DS will be better than Smash WiiU. If you don't agree with my "gut's" prediction" you're probably wrong. ;)
1. This is true to everyone who is unaware of the active local smash scene, doesn't have a local active smash scene, or doesn't have moneys and/or a ride (all of which can suck).
2. I agree. We need a lot more online content. However, that was almost entirely the Wii's fault, not Brawl's. I can't even conjure myself to blame Game Arts like I usually do! :laugh:
3. Both the WiiU and 3DS have a heavy focus on multiple screens. I think the Smash Bros. development team will find a way to "connect" both games and consoles through this.
PS: Also, hey. It's been a long time since I last posted something here. Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.
Is that Black Dog by Led Zeppelin reference=??? Because, quite frankly, I love that band! :laugh:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I almost have to wonder if maybe the 3DS version WILL have a exclusive character- perhaps a Mii- that would then be unlockable on the Wii U ONLY if you do enough on the 3DS and then transfer it to your Wii U or something.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It depends really. Tekken tournaments bannned DLC characters simply because not everyone had them, but that ban has more than likely lifted since everyone was released. The same can be said for version exclusives.

Now for a potential custom character like the Mii, it may be banned due to the potential of easily making it broken.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
BTW, there is some precedent for the "Handheld to Home Console" transfer:I know it happened with the first Mario Tennis. You could upgrade your personal player on the Game Boy's campaign, and then could be uploaded to the N64 to be played with.

Not to mention all of the Pokemon you could upload to Pokemon Stadium...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Gamingboy
I think that will most likely only happen with non-playable character content. That and possibly trading stuff like stickers, trophies, or created stages from one game to another.

By the way, how awesome would it be to transfer our created stages in Brawl to Smash WiiU and Smash 3DS=??? Pretty awesome, amirite=??? :)
It depends really. Tekken tournaments bannned DLC characters simply because not everyone had them, but that ban has more than likely lifted since everyone was released. The same can be said for version exclusives.

Now for a potential custom character like the Mii, it may be banned due to the potential of easily making it broken.
The first point is definitely true (with DLC characters or stages being banned in some tournaments, especially major ones), including the part about the bans being reversed in due time. If the DLC is free or is a timed paid DLC (viva Gears of War), then expect any bans to go away swiftly.

As for the 2nd point, that's why I hope all Miis have one preset moveset. Allowing for changing the appearance of Miis is good enough for me.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
@ Gamingboy

By the way, how awesome would it be to transfer our created stages in Brawl to Smash WiiU and Smash 3DS=??? Pretty awesome, amirite=??? :)

Yeah, totally. Especially because I have to think that it'd be a ton easier to make a created stage on a television than on the smaller 3DS screens.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, totally. Especially because I have to think that it'd be a ton easier to make a created stage on a television than on the smaller 3DS screens.
Agreed. I think the 3DS and WiiU Game Pad are perfect for making stages.

Also, it would be nice to see some of our created stages... In 1080p HD!!! :grin:

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
So, does anybody think that they will make better servers for online play? I would love it because I live in a small town where no professional brawlers play. So my options are to play with my friends(I do but they are just casual), or play against level 9's. I get too much lag it is not fun, or bettering my game. I really hope they make online better...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The servers weren't the (big) issue with Brawl, the Wii's online capabilities were. They didn't help, but they are the big reason. In other words, expect positive changes, especially with the Soul Calibur team at Namco Bandai making Smash Bros. WiiU and 3DS. They did a fantastic job (or so I hear) with Soul Calibur V's online.

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
Well, I can make a sigh of relief. Now I can just hope they make it more of an offensive, fast paced action game kind if like a melee style. What is everybody's opinion on the style the new game will be?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Probably something with more rapid fire offense. I doubt we'll reach Melee status offense, but I think we will return to good offense beats good defense more often than not. Stalling and camping will still be an issue to some extent competitively, but it won't be to the extent of Brawl by any means. It'd be more like Melee with stalling and camping issues competitively.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd like to see a 50/50 balance on offense and defense, though we need to be careful as to how we define both. Case in point, a character that may dance around the stage waiting for a chance to punish a mistake would be defensive, but he/she would be by no means a turtler. And even then, someone with strong mobility may not be a whiff punisher but rather a rushdown type (think Little Mac). You may also have someone that "sumos" the opponent by keeping away the opponent with pokes while being aggressive to get them off stage (like Isaac or Krystal).

Ultimately, it needs to emphasize footsies and be reasonably damaging on combos.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Melee was actually somewhat defensive, compared to the first game, which was way too much offense. Brawl was way too defensive. I'd actually like that about equal. As much offense as the first game with the same amount of defense as Brawl.

The reason is I don't think either is bad by any particular means whatsoever. Having them equal means the characters themselves will be a bit more balanced. The only thing that changes is characters' own personal power and defenses. An average character like Mario should be in Mid Tier in a fairly balanced game. He was good in the first two, but is honestly rather bad(not outright terrible, though) in Brawl. That's ridiculous for the "this is your average guy" character. If he had a bit more powerful or something like that, he would've been just right. But wasn't the case.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You would think that having the all around guy as mid tier would be logical, but you'd be surprise how often that happens.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
You would think that having the all around guy as mid tier would be logical, but you'd be surprise how often that happens.
Exactly. It all comes down to what players can do with a character's move set and it's properties rather than the "basic design" of the character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The Jack of all stats character is never a dominate force in any form of media, mostly due to the lack of strengths being a notable weakness in itself. In general players would rather pick a character that focuses more on a particular attribute and exploit it's advantages to get an edge in heated battle.

That's why Mario is (ironically) never a popular or effective choice in any of the spin-offs, because the balanced stats means that nothing can particularly be taken advantage of.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ryu has been at least high tier in all SF4 games and is currently considered one of the best in SFxTK.

The thing with the all-around character is that their stats let them exploit other characters' weaknesses. Like, the Mario might be a harder hitter than one opponent or faster than another.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I always thought mario would be totally in the middle before I came here, even after i saw the tier list I didn't fully take it in and thought mario was somewhere in mid tier. :p

I think mario has more problems than a lack of strength though when you get to the nitty gritty of it, however I don't play him competitively so i'm not gonna completely judge his problems.... I think he has some GR issues as well doesn't he?

Also I love all 3 games' styles thus far so i'm not too worried how smash 4 will take that. Tbh i'm unsure whether they'll want to make it more like previous games or go for a completely different feel for the next one.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Why thanks! I do tend to take a more optimistic approach to SSB4, there's too much negativity surrounding the game when no information has even been released on it! :p

I just had a thought... If Sakurai doesn't spend all his time making new chars (because I believe character addition isn't as big on his list this time around), he may spend more time on vets, which, with any luck means less cuts due to a lack of time? What do you guys think?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Why thanks! I do tend to take a more optimistic approach to SSB4, there's too much negativity surrounding the game when no information has even been released on it! :p

I just had a thought... If Sakurai doesn't spend all his time making new chars (because I believe character addition isn't as big on his list this time around), he may spend more time on vets, which, with any luck means less cuts due to a lack of time? What do you guys think?
Very yes. Not cutting vets would be so much better than getting a ton of newcomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom