• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Also I love all 3 games' styles thus far so i'm not too worried how smash 4 will take that. Tbh i'm unsure whether they'll want to make it more like previous games or go for a completely different feel for the next one.
Well, Sakurai did say this installment will be a medium between melee and brawl; something a bit different yet similar to what Melee veterans are used to (as well as what some Brawl newcomers are used to). In a sense; its both

I just had a thought... If Sakurai doesn't spend all his time making new chars (because I believe character addition isn't as big on his list this time around), he may spend more time on vets, which, with any luck means less cuts due to a lack of time? What do you guys think?
Considering the context in which he originally put in, it was safe to say it was a slight mistranslation. He isn't spending making "characters and worrying about rosters" now because he's working on polishing/tweaking the mechanics in addition to laying the initial groundwork of how the starting roster interacts with it.

Character additions will be big as always; he's just spending time on focusing on the mechanics first. Hence why he told people not to worry about it right now as it is less of his concern; considering they just started working on the game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Character additions will be big as always; he's just spending time on focusing on the mechanics first. Hence why he told people not to worry about it right now as it is less of his concern; considering they just started working on the game.
Quite a long time been now since after few months it's basically been a year since they've been workin' on it. (-l.l-)

Also for those who had found about that Yoshi's Island-rumor inside Wii U's Debug Mode, there's now more being posted in Tumblr by NintendoBlog, seemingly confirming a new Yoshi-game being made to Wii U and people already preordering copies. I'm though quite skeptical... but I'm also wishing this is true because I've been waiting for new title for years perhaps.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also for those who had found about that Yoshi's Island-rumor inside Wii U's Debug Mode, there's now more being posted in Tumblr by NintendoBlog, seemingly confirming a new Yoshi-game being made to Wii U and people already preordering copies. I'm though quite skeptical... but I'm also wishing this is true because I've been waiting for new title for years perhaps.
Really wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true. Hope Good-Feel is working on it, like that rumor a while back stated (though that was about the 3DS), I think they'd be a great fit for a Yoshi game.

That description listed isn't exactly too specific though. Minus the few times it mentions Yoshi, and it could be for pretty much any Wii U game. :smirk:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I REALLY hope it's in the Yoshi's Island series, and in the same style as the first 2 games.

I loved those games

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Hope Good-Feel is working on it, like that rumor a while back stated (though that was about the 3DS), I think they'd be a great fit for a Yoshi game.
The art style for Wario Land: Shake It and Epic Yarn were awesome. Yoshi's has always been the Mario branch of the franchise with unique art and GF has a good track record with design and art.

I just hope the game isn't too short or laughably easy like the formerly mentioned games.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yes, YI's level art and design were unique. I'd love to see a newer version of that, almost. That child-book drawing atmosphere never got old. :D

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually Yoshi's Island Wii U might be developed by Retro Studios. Think about it for a second, a while back the company was recruiting artists to make something with a hand drawn visual style. What game could use a hand drawn style? Defiantly not Metroid, probably not Donkey Kong, but likely Yoshi's Island. Granted there is no proof at the moment, but it's a possibility to throw out there.

Also I presume the game will be revealed at E3 2013 along with Super Smash Bros and Monolith Soft's project.

D

Deleted member

Could also be a new IP if Retro's project isn't Yoshi's Island (sounds like more of what Good Feel would do).

D

Deleted member

While I'm probably just too much of a wishful thinker, I'm deep down hoping that Retro's new project is that Mach Rider Unchained game talked about last year.

With every fiber of my being, I am praying that there was some truth to that rumor....

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Mach Rider would be interesting to see as a modern full console game.
IMO, F-Zero would fill any niche that Mach Rider would fit into IMO. I do think it would be cool to see Mach Rider make an appearance or a cameo in an F-Zero game.

D

Deleted member

F-Zero can't fit the shooting down enemies with a machine gun bike in an post-apocalyptic world niche. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Considering we had an incarnation of James McCloud in F-Zero X, some sort of appearance of Mach Rider isn't too far off.

Though Kirby appearing would be pretty awesome too. Well it would possibly be the closest thing to a Kirby Air Ride sequel.

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
A new yoshi game would be great! I love me some yoshi.

Anyway I think smash 4 is Heading in the right direction blending between brawl and melee. Especially with my friends, I am used to melee and they are used to brawl.

Now for the 3ds aspect. I should refrain from buying it because I don't want to have to buy a new 3ds :D. Unless maybe the mechanics are a little different than the wii u's. anybody know how they will be different?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
A new yoshi game would be great! I love me some yoshi.

Anyway I think smash 4 is Heading in the right direction blending between brawl and melee. Especially with my friends, I am used to melee and they are used to brawl.

Now for the 3ds aspect. I should refrain from buying it because I don't want to have to buy a new 3ds :D. Unless maybe the mechanics are a little different than the wii u's. anybody know how they will be different?
We know absolutely nothing about the game except for one thing, which is it's basic engine (or whatever it's called, umm...) has already been developed. We can assume they've templated off one of the previous games.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Star... you're awesome. :D
Not sure why since I'm not the one making the game?

Anyhoo, there are also rumors stemming from the Wii U debug menu thread on NeoGAF that Nintendo will be making some game announcements on the tenth of December. This means it will probably be a Nintendo Direct of some kind. Either way this all makes sense. We already know Nintendo has planned on showing more content after the launch of the Wii U. December would be the best time to do so as the Wii U will be available in just about every major region.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wish I could expect some details on Smash Bros but that's just wishful thinking on my part considering these times. But Yoshi's Land better be confirmed true, it might up me getting a Wii U much faster.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You never know, if Nintendo really does intend to use Dec 10th as a time to reveal an extended look at Wii U projects in the works, it just could happen. Better not to get your hopes up just yet, wait for Nintendo to even confirm a Nintendo Direct. Knowing them, that will be a couple of days prior to the stream.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The art style for Wario Land: Shake It and Epic Yarn were awesome. Yoshi's has always been the Mario branch of the franchise with unique art and GF has a good track record with design and art.

I just hope the game isn't too short or laughably easy like the formerly mentioned games.
Art style for Epic Yarn may have been good, but the gameplay sure wasn't

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Epic Yarn awakened my inner child in most sweet and gentle ways ever I've got to experience as a gamer. The game was so carefree and still looked freaking good while doing so. (-´v`-)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Epic Yarn awakened my inner child in most sweet and gentle ways ever I've got to experience as a gamer. The game was so carefree and still looked freaking good while doing so. (-´v`-)
What you call "carefree" I call boring, repetitive, unchallenging, and pointless

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
We know absolutely nothing about the game except for one thing, which is it's basic engine (or whatever it's called, umm...) has already been developed. We can assume they've templated off one of the previous games.
Well, there was that dry-erase board thing, which basically confirmed that... the most popular and well-known Nintendo characters are being considered.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Well, there was that dry-erase board thing, which basically confirmed that... the most popular and well-known Nintendo characters are being considered.
Basically, I would believe so since the picture got deleted from twitter. Too bad, many fans included myself already saved the picture. I thought it was cute drawing.

I wish I could expect some details on Smash Bros but that's just wishful thinking on my part considering these times. But Yoshi's Land better be confirmed true, it might up me getting a Wii U much faster.
That would be perfect Christmas gift to SSB fans from Nintendo. I seriously doubt that would happen tho.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
On "all-around" characters: The reason why the "middle" characters aren't good in smash is because there are characters who are far superior at all but 2 things than them.
I think with the "all-around" characters, they need to be more like Dr. Mario in Melee rather than the poor offerings we got from the "all-around" characters in Brawl. Look at Mario: he has bad recovery, no strength, no reliable quick moves, no range, no weight, nothing. Characters like Mario should be all-around reliable, not all-around pathetic.
I'd like to see a 50/50 balance on offense and defense, though we need to be careful as to how we define both... Ultimately, it needs to emphasize footsies and be reasonably damaging on combos.
Exactly. Finding cohesive offensive balance is important. Ultimately, weak attacks need to be the center of offense, not running. Countering can be important, strong moves can help, and stun moves (think ZSS' gun) can help, but those weak attacks should always be the main focus. They (should) make combos (especially with other weak moves), set up other moves, set up grabs (defensively) with proper timing, don't allow for too much countering (other than great anticipation), and open things up for some "big hits."
Does anyone when it's coming out? I haven't been keeping up to date.
Well there's 2 games, so who knows (other than it will take at least 2 1/2 years to make them). My "big window" of when it will come out would have to be Q4 2014-Q1/Q2 2017.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I said September to November or bust for actual footage or several pictures. I think the next "real" date for anything like a reveal of that sort is E3 2013 or some major Nintendo event next year. Still, we may very well get information at such an event. Obviously not a trailer or (most likely) photos, but something nonetheless. We've been in the dark for a few months now. It's about time for Sakurai to cut his wolverine nails and exit the wild world of video game development to give us a (quick) update! :laugh: Iwata: (laughs)

Regardless, I think all of us agree that our intuition tells us that some sort of minor announcement will occur within the next 3 months. Sakurai can't keep us in the dark forever...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Exactly. Finding cohesive offensive balance is important. Ultimately, weak attacks need to be the center of offense, not running. Countering can be important, strong moves can help, and stun moves (think ZSS' gun) can help, but those weak attacks should always be the main focus. They (should) make combos (especially with other weak moves), set up other moves, set up grabs (defensively) with proper timing, don't allow for too much countering (other than great anticipation), and open things up for some "big hits."
Right on the mark. Psychologically, the player should try to think of it like an actual fight. You can't just go rushing in all the time and hoping you land hits because you might get hit in the process. Rather, you want to be on an approaching defense, waiting for an opportunity for a jab so you can be at the advantage.

Balance wise though, you gotta be careful with making sure jabs aren't too powerful. They should NOT lead to very powerful combos outside of hitconfirms. This was why SFxTK got rid of the ability to special cancel (minus EX and Supers) out of the LMH chains during its development - they didn't want the game to turn into a jab based victory where someone with really good pokes would be an overly dominating force.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, I used that jabbing (in boxing and fighting) comparison. All the best boxers or fist fighters have a great jab. The jab get some "easy money," can make for some great combos, and can leave your opponent open for some bigger, stronger, meaner hits. Every character needs at least 3 quality (fairly good priority) attacks that are quick, fast, and reliable like a jab in boxing out of the basic A attacks and combos, all tilts, and at least 2 or 3 aerials (that are quick).

But you are definitely right Kuma. A strong jab can be very bad. Look at Captain Falcon's knee in Melee. Although not as easy to land as a jab, it's pretty easy to land, and does about 20%. Meta Knight's down smash, on the other hand, kills pretty early in Brawl for a light character.

Really, if these "jab" like moves work like in boxing (which was somewhat like how it worked in smash, especially Melee), and every character has a few solid reliable jab-esk moves that aren't broken, then every character would be automatically pretty good (compared to previous smash bottom tiers), as well as the game being easier to balance (and thus have better balance). I'm sure Namco Bandai understands this as well as anyone.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Really, if these "jab" like moves work like in boxing (which was somewhat like how it worked in smash, especially Melee), and every character has a few solid reliable jab-esk moves that aren't broken, then every character would be automatically pretty good (compared to previous smash bottom tiers), as well as the game being easier to balance (and thus have better balance). I'm sure Namco Bandai understands this as well as anyone.
Bamco definitely knows about this. I can't say for certain for Soul Caliber, but prior to Tekken 6, you had some moves that started up in 8 frames and were considered OP from my understanding. Come Tekken 6, this was changed where the fastest attack was 10 frames and that every single character had a 10 frame jab available to them and this still holds for TTT2. This also helped with the turn taking nature of fighting as most attacks are unsafe on block, but there are a handful of safer ones, some with a positive advantage (not much). I've mentioned this in the frame data thread, but thought it was mentioning again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom