• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
And Together We Ride to escape from that storm. And watch how rabidly excited Nintendo-fans will be speaking like nerds.

I'm actually dreading it. Just seeing how this place might turn to be GameFAQs-esque place and meanwhile we longtime backroomers get to either horrify up or enjoy the hilarity. Either way it's gonna be a totally f'd up mess. But I wish it's worth watching.

I don't it's people not believing tier lists, more like not caring. Most people that play Super Smash Bros. play the game for the enjoyment of playing as their favorite Nintendo (or Sonic and Snake) character in varies scenarios fighting to the death, not worrying about advanced techniques like wavedashing or what stage is and isn't banned.

To be honest, that is why Super Smash Bros. is even famous to begin with. Every Super Smash Bros. game feels like a love letter to Nintendo fans everywhere and is a gateway to promoting varies franchise ranging from the famous Super Mario Bros. to more obscure stuff like Earthbound. In fact without Super Smash Bros, Earthbound would be very obscure, Fire Emblem would still be stuck in Japan, Kid Icarus would still be dormant, many smaller franchises would fly under the radar of many people, nobody would of been hyped when they saw Snake and Sonic together in the same game, and we wouldn't of known that Captain Falcon was such a badass.

A world without Captain Falcon blowing up entire galaxies with fire charged punches would be a depressing world.
Ah, and here I am getting bit messed up because I never won and tried to get better by taking Meleeish approach.But indeed, this is the best essence of Smash Bros in brief. Just hopin' they won't give a wrong impression of Nintendo while doing it: Fire Emblem stars only 3 lords named Marth, Ike and Roy.

It does my heart good to see some of you still discussing this game despite nothing having been thrown your way all this time. It's impressive.
I dunno if it makes me proud or if it makes me claim that I must be bored beyond belief. Better for you Holder and others who wait for more busier times.

No one can turn ~6 months without new information into 38585 posts like us. :awesome::embarrass::urg:
We're buncha hardy fellows, aren't we. *Pats on the back.*

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
And Together We Ride to escape from that storm. And watch how rabidly excited Nintendo-fans will be speaking like nerds.

I'm actually dreading it. Just seeing how this place might turn to be GameFAQs-esque place and meanwhile we longtime backroomers get to either horrify up or enjoy the hilarity. Either way it's gonna be a totally f'd up mess. But I wish it's worth watching.

Ah, and here I am getting bit messed up because I never won and tried to get better by taking Meleeish approach.But indeed, this is the best essence of Smash Bros in brief. Just hopin' they won't give a wrong impression of Nintendo while doing it: Fire Emblem stars only 3 lords named Marth, Ike and Roy.

I dunno if it makes me proud or if it makes me claim that I must be bored beyond belief. Better for you Holder and others who wait for more busier times.

We're buncha hardy fellows, aren't we. *Pats on the back.*
I bet people on the old SSB4 thread said so, i know we said so in the wii-U thread and we're still saying it now. Here's hoping it never happens! :p

But yea i'm proud of being a pretty long time poster. Half of it isn't discussing SSB4 but just making friends with a bunch of pretty awesome people. :D

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I like how, sans MK, the top ten consists entirely of characters from Smash 64.

There's a reason for that. They've been around the longest and they're the most famous.

It's really no different then how if you were to have some DC Comics fans list their favorite members of the Justice League the original team of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter would all probably make the top ten or come close to it.

I think that is a pretty good indication that Sakurai isn't going to be kicking out the original eight, much to the chagrin of the anti-Jigglypuff crowd.
Exactly. Actually, you seem to mean the Original 12, since Jiggles was an unlockable, but hey. Basically, all 12 of the originals still hold up for their reasonings for being there.

Mario, Kirby, Link, Pikachu: Self explanatory. There's a reason these are the four that were shown in the SSBB trailer: they are the core four. Mario and Pikachu represent the two best-selling Video Game franchises in history, Link represents what is probably the most critically acclaimed and Kirby is extremely popular in Japan and reasonably popular in the West. Fun thing I never realized until recently: the 8 characters in the SSB64 menu were put in order of appearance, hence why Pikachu was last despite the fact that 1999 was during the height of Pokemania.

Donkey Kong: If it was a core 5 instead of a core 4, DK would be number five.

Fox: His series has had a rough time since SSB64, but he's still one of Nintendo's most beloved characters.

Samus: Samus has risen from the ashes and plunged back into them since SSB64, but she is still one of Nintendo's most iconic characters and, it should be noted, it's most notable woman who has a starring role.

Yoshi: An integral part of the Mario universe who also has a series of his own. Also, everything is better with dinosaurs.

Luigi: The Ken to Mario's Ryu, the Robin to Mario's Batman.

Captain Falcon: F-Zero, like Star Fox and Metroid, has seen better days since SSB first came out- in fact, he's now more famous for SSB than for F-Zero, but he was a good inclusion back then and is even more famous now... unlike his series, sadly.

Ness: The Mother series has a cult following in America and never came to Europe, but in Japan, it was extremely popular, and it's creator, Itoi-san, is a very well-known celebrity writer who also has dabbled in music-writing and anime voice-over work. While perhaps Ness could be removed (and reportedly almost was in SSBM, before Mother 3 went into limbo), the fact that Mother 3 never has been released in the west leaves it unlikely, since Ness is now so identifiable with the series and with SSB.

Jigglypuff: During the first generation of Pokemon and even a bit into Gen 2 and Gen 3, Jigglypuff was sort of the secondary mascot, making lots of appearances in he Anime and Manga. (She also was similar-looking to Kirby, which made her a good choice as far as resources went). She remains one of the most popular pokemon from Generation 1, especially among girls and especially in Japan.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Samus: Samus has risen from the ashes and plunged back into them since SSB64, but she is still one of Nintendo's most iconic characters and, it should be noted, it's most notable woman who has a starring role.
Please, Other M wasn't that bad.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let me guess, it's complaining about the perceived sexism (there wasn't any), the Ridley scene, the Hell run, pixel hunts, and the awkward monologues. Oh, and how Samus was nothing like the Mary Sue they had envisioned when there was only the manga that gave you her personality?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Let me guess, it's complaining about the perceived sexism (there wasn't any), the Ridley scene, the Hell run, pixel hunts, and the awkward monologues. Oh, and how Samus was nothing like the Mary Sue they had envisioned when there was only the manga that gave you her personality?
It wasn't that at all. The sexist argument comes from people who don't understand what is wrong. The problems are much bigger than it,.

How about instead of guess, go watch it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At least not right now, I'm not going to watch a 26 minute review about things I've probably heard way too many times.

D

Deleted member

I'm willing to bet that it targets more of the gameplay rather than the story.

From what I've heard, the gameplay isn't really as solid as previous games in the series.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm not sure how many of you already know about this, or even if it is that important, but earlier in the month Sakurai linked to a Japanese website that ranked the characters in the Super Smash Bros series by popularity among males. Sakurai went on to ask something further, to which people just retorted the characters they used. Doubt this is anything significant, but it is kind of neat to look through. Certainly more than information than I have right now.

EDIT: Apparently the survey was about 391 males, and the results were as follows:

http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/264954239212740609
I refuse to take those results seriously if Captain Falcon is that low. Anyway it is kinda cool to look at, I don't think it'll be a good add to the Directory Thread though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

From what I've heard, the gameplay isn't really as solid as previous games in the series.
I'm four minutes in and it's so far what I predicted. I still hold that this game, aside from its glaring issues, is a victim of people's misconceptions about Samus. For example, the guy mentions that she's capable of blowing up planets. When said explosions are the same as Andross trying to kill Fox in SF64. Then there's the emotional aspect of Samus. People have this impression that she's a mysterious, aloof badass that won't take no for an answer when we've had next to nothing that actually confirms this. Then there's how people simply don't understand the nature of PTSD (Ridley scene). And on a minor note, I liked that the identity of the deleter was left for the player to arrive to the conclusion.

I'm hoping that, in time, it will be seen in a better light and as a misunderstood game.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Personally, I liked Other M, and it was only my second Metroid game after Fusion. I played the Prime Trilogy after that and I thought all of them were equally great with the original Prime being my favourite Metroid game. From what I've been seeing, people only seem to bash Other M from those who have played the Prime series first since they've become accustomed to Samus's emotionless personality. As a game, it's pretty good, but as a Metroid game, maybe not.

Since we're getting a little bit off-topic here, in terms of Smash 4, they should really use her Zero Suit model from Other M. She probably doesn't need to be more refined in the game to be more HD, but yeah. :x

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Which reminds me, I think the next game should have a larger emphasis on alternate costumes this time around. Like how Wario had his normal outfit and biker outfit, with both having their own color palettes. Maybe different cosmetics depending on the costume too, like normal Mario throwing fireballs but the Dr. Mario outfit throws megavitamins instead.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Which reminds me, I think the next game should have a larger emphasis on alternate costumes this time around. Like how Wario had his normal outfit and biker outfit, with both having their own color palettes. Maybe different cosmetics depending on the costume too, like normal Mario throwing fireballs but the Dr. Mario outfit throwing megavitamins instead.
So long as the changes are purely cosmetic, then I'd be fine with that.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Which reminds me, I think the next game should have a larger emphasis on alternate costumes this time around. Like how Wario had his normal outfit and biker outfit, with both having their own color palettes.
But Wario is special; Sakurai said so. :awesome:
Nah, but srsly a significant/memorable alt per character would be cool. Dunno what a lot of characters would have but yeah totally.
I was mostly :urg: over the fact that it has been almost six months without info, and it could very well be another six until more... :urg::ohwell:
Believe me, I'm glad we have managed to keep the conversation going this long without turning into GameFAQs or something worse. :smirk:
I don't think most people on this forum, for the most part, could ever be as idiotic as the Gamefaqs crowd, lolz.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nah, but srsly a significant/memorable alt per character would be cool. Dunno what a lot of characters would have but yeah totally.
Here's a list of ideas.

King K. Rool and Kaptain K. Rool
Mario and Dr. Mario
Luigi and Mr. L
Link with ether the normal tonic or the Ordonian-like outfit from Skyward Sword.
Toon Link with ether the Hero's Cloths or his pajamas from Wind Waker.
Zelda with the Skyward Sword incarnation and the Twilight Princess incarnation.
The modern and classic version of Pit.
The modern and classic version of Palutena.
Marth's outfit from Fire Emblem Awakening and the outfit from Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light.
Roy's outfit from Fire Emblem Awakening and the outfit from Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals.
Fox with his normal outfit and the outfit from Star Fox Assault.
Falco with his normal outfit and the the outfit from Star Fox Assault.
Mega Man with his normal appearance and the human-like/original variation Mega.

Just to name a few examples.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

It's a 3D game with 2D controls, so what do you expect.

I'm four minutes in and it's so far what I predicted. I still hold that this game, aside from its glaring issues, is a victim of people's misconceptions about Samus. For example, the guy mentions that she's capable of blowing up planets. When said explosions are the same as Andross trying to kill Fox in SF64. Then there's the emotional aspect of Samus. People have this impression that she's a mysterious, aloof badass that won't take no for an answer when we've had next to nothing that actually confirms this. Then there's how people simply don't understand the nature of PTSD (Ridley scene). And on a minor note, I liked that the identity of the deleter was left for the player to arrive to the conclusion.

I'm hoping that, in time, it will be seen in a better light and as a misunderstood game.
It's clear Kuma you don't understand the issue at all.

The reason people are upset with the new Samus is that it doesn't match up with any of the previous game. Samus isn't a fragile weak character. She's a bounty hunter. If she were weak, should would have been killed long ago by other bounty hunters. The story has always played her up to be this strong character and now she's weak. Even if the game was trying to show the other side of Samus, it did a poor job because it's poorly written, poorly delivered and poorly done. If Samus was to be seen as somewhat weak, it shouldn't be thrown in our faces. At the same time, the characters that Samus remembers in a different time should be shown as endearing. The only one that was, Anthony, gets pushed to the side by the one that wasn't, Adam. Like the rest of the game, the delivery and portray of Adam as this strong character and Samus and Adam's relationship was terribly done.

Also, the Ridley thing has never made sense. The PTSD was what fans made up to try and explain bad writting as not bad. The story doesn't say PTSD and never implied it up until that point. Logically, it makes no sense. Even with PTSD, she's fought the guy 2 times before if you don't include Prime. Also, why does she have PTSD? Because of the baby? Where in other games it was portrayed as a mennese that Samus had no problem destroying. Heck, Super Metroid said she only saved it for research. Doesn't sound like she cared about it until Sakamoto poorly retconned it back in. Why she is sobbing now is inconsistent. Even still, doesn't happen in the game after this one. Even still, why would she have PTSD from something that saved her life and that was it. She only knew the thing for a few minutes. Not like her war buddy just got shot by the Viet Kong.

By the way, this is only a response to what you said. There is more wrong about this game. History will see it as a bad game always.

D

Deleted member

Ah, if it's the same drivel, then yeah, not worth watching.
I agree that there was a whole bunch of misconceptions within the fanbase that makes Other M kind of the "black sheep" of the series so to speak.
Samus is human. She just hasn't had the opportunity to express it until now.

EDIT:
Wrong, SmashChu. The PTSD came in from the canon e-manga that came as a backstory of sorts when Zero Mission came out.
She has PTSD from Ridley's attack on her homeworld and seeing her mother be killed right in front of her.
Ridley is the only thing that can trigger the PTSD.
Aside from that, PTSD is not something that can be "dealt" with easy. Even if she has fought Ridley a couple of times prior to Other M, note that the explosion of Zebes was supposed to be logged as Ridley's true death.
When it turns out that he's back for an unexplained reason, after he's supposed to be forever gone, it triggered the PTSD.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Metroid: Other M isn't even considered THE black sheep of the series. That title would probably go to Metroid Prime Pinball by the concept alone.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ah, if it's the same drivel, then yeah, not worth watching.
I agree that there was a whole bunch of misconceptions within the fanbase that makes Other M kind of the "black sheep" of the series so to speak.
Samus is human. She just hasn't had the opportunity to express it until now.
How about you guys actually watch it rather than assume what it's about.

EDIT:
Wrong, SmashChu. The PTSD came in from the canon e-manga that came as a backstory of sorts when Zero Mission came out.
She has PTSD from Ridley's attack on her homeworld and seeing her mother be killed right in front of her.
Ridley is the only thing that can trigger the PTSD.
Aside from that, PTSD is not something that can be "dealt" with easy. Even if she has fought Ridley a couple of times prior to Other M, note that the explosion of Zebes was supposed to be logged as Ridley's true death.
When it turns out that he's back for an unexplained reason, after he's supposed to be forever gone, it triggered the PTSD.
1)Even in the mangas, she deals with Ridley. I believe in Mangas she kills Ridley and lets out a primal battle cry.
2)Even still, it's never "triggered" in the other games.
3)PTSD can be triggered by multiple stimuli, not jusy one. She only freaks out with Ridley.
4)Manga says "undergo emotional duress." Not PTSD, unless you can find out something different.
5)If she deals with Ridley once, it means she is recovering. Other M is at the end of the timeline, so her freaking out now makes less sense with the PTSD story because she dealt with it long ago. She should haave less of a reaction, not more.
6)Near the end of the manga, Samus seemingly triumphs over her PTSD and manages to destroy Ridley again. In the actual game Metroid: Zero Mission, Samus' eyes are briefly seen through her visor before Ridley attacks. She seems to have a shocked expression, but is able to come to her senses and fight him.

Either way, it's poor writing

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Other M is at the end of the timeline, so her freaking out now makes less sense with the PTSD story because she dealt with it long ago. She should haave less of a reaction, not more.
Metroid Fusion is currently the last game in chronological order as of now. Metroid: Other M takes place right before Metroid Fusion, just for your information.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Metroid Fusion is currently the last game in chronological order as of now. Metroid: Other M takes place right before Metroid Fusion, just for your information.
That's why I said at the end of the time line. There is only one more game after it. Which, mind you, uses the same plot device except for freeze resistance, which causes othr problems.

Again, this game is just a mess.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Here's a list of ideas.

King K. Rool and Kaptain K. Rool
Mario and Dr. Mario
Luigi and Mr. L
Link with ether the normal tonic or the Ordonian-like outfit from Skyward Sword.
Toon Link with ether the Hero's Cloths or his pajamas from Wind Waker.
Zelda with the Skyward Sword incarnation and the Twilight Princess incarnation.
The modern and classic version of Pit.
The modern and classic version of Palutena.
Marth's outfit from Fire Emblem Awakening and the outfit from Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light.
Roy's outfit from Fire Emblem Awakening and the outfit from Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals.
Fox with his normal outfit and the outfit from Star Fox Assault.
Falco with his normal outfit and the the outfit from Star Fox Assault.
Mega Man with his normal appearhe thing is tance and the human-like/original variation Mega.

Just to name a few examples.
Some of the examples you posted are some that are fairly obvious imo since characters like Link, Mario and the Starfurs have had various costumes/outfits over the years. What I meant in my previous post was mostly about characters such as Lucas, DDD or ICs who haven't really had much variation in design or appearance. What do with characters in that situation?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh, so showing moments of humanity and vulnerability makes her weak? She had a new sense of appreciation for the infant Metroid (it really should've been called the infant) since it sacrificed itself to save her - an example of you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

The relationship itself was fine if you just stop to think about it. She was the one that left on bad terms and saw him as the closest thing to a human father figure. Her choosing to follow Adam is her showing she's changed and that she wants to fix their relationship. There was nothing like male on female dominance or anything of the sort.

The biggest reason why Samus freaked out with Ridley is rather simple. Every other occasion, Samus never defeated Ridley for good, knowing he'd be back as a result. Meanwhile, Samus defeats Ridley for good in Super Metroid, along with blowing up the planet he was on. With this in mind, she really believed he was dead for good. Then, when she sees him in Other M, combined with the hellish imagery, she thought she was seeing a ghost, or possibly a demon that could never go away with whatever she could do.

You say it's never called PTSD yet the second picture specifically mentions it.

Metroid: Other M isn't even considered THE black sheep of the series. That title would probably go to Metroid Prime Pinball by the concept alone.
The black sheep has to more with the reception of it than anything else. Hence, Other M holds the honor of being the Metroid black sheep.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Which reminds me, I think the next game should have a larger emphasis on alternate costumes this time around. Like how Wario had his normal outfit and biker outfit, with both having their own color palettes. Maybe different cosmetics depending on the costume too, like normal Mario throwing fireballs but the Dr. Mario outfit throws megavitamins instead.
This is a pretty good idea, but I have a feeling there shouldn't be a lot because that would mean more alternate coloured costumes for each special alternate costume, and that can take a lot of space for the game as well as time for developers. :s

I remember reading somewhere that Sakamoto wanted Samus to have emotions when 3D graphics began or something along those lines, but due to less advanced technology he couldn't. The thing that didn't make sense is that he just did it now or he didn't put the game back in the timeline to make it fit, but I guess they had no other choice and put it before Fusion since the baby Metroid was that important to them.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What I meant in my previous post was mostly about characters such as Lucas, DDD or ICs who haven't really had much variation in design or appearance. What do with characters in that situation?
There will be a handful of characters that won't receive an alternate costume, but a large portion of them will. Obviously some characters like R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch are not going to get costumes.

D

Deleted member

1) Even so, facing fears is not the same as removing them completely. It's only repressing them. And as that one Chozo said, "Repressed fear will grow inside you, even if you are unaware it exists". http://metroid-database.com/manga/?vid=13&cid=64#manga_top (Page 3)
And no, she doesn't kill Ridley. He obviously comes back for Metroid/Zero Mission with Super Metroid being his actual death. He even states in the manga that he has a revival mechanism where he eats the flesh of corpses.

2) It was introduced in Zero Mission's time. Which means the only games it could have been triggered is Zero Mission, Prime 2, Hunters, Prime 3, and Other M.
Zero Mission, we have the expression as you said, but as someone pointed out to me, it doesn't really seem much of a shocked expression. Also, at this point in the manga (which covers Zero Mission up to the final fight with Mother Brain), we see that Samus is more determined to kill Ridley than anything else, putting her fear aside until the job is done.
Prime 2 and Hunters doesn't even have Ridley, so point is moot.
In Prime, Meta Ridley wasn't "killed", he was repelled. Granted, he did fall without working wings, but he's survived worse. Him coming back would not be any sort of surprise, hence no PTSD in Prime 3 when he returns. Nor when he comes back as Omega Ridley later, due to him coming back through the power of Phazon, and by this time, Samus is well aware of what corruption powers Phazon has. At this point, it'd be hard to tell if it was really even Ridley in mentality fighting her at that point, or just some corrupted puppet of the Leviathan on the Pirate Homeworld.
Now, by Other M, Ridley is supposed to be dead for good. There's no possible way he could survive an exploding planet (at which he didn't to our knowledge). Samus could finally put her mind at ease in regards to him, knowing she would never have to see him again. And then BAM! SURPRISE! Here he is again without any warning! Cue repressed memories flowing back at full force.

3) It can, but in this case, Ridley is specifically the trigger. Note, that just because something CAN do something, doesn't mean it automatically DOES. For example, a war vet in Vietnam saw his comrades burned to death. Grilling on a barbecue reminds him of that and triggers his PTSD. While it's not strong enough to affect him too deeply (which the only thing that would probably do so is seeing people be burned to death again), he does mention that it feels different to barbecue ever since.
If Samus saw like, a creature that looks a bit like Ridley, or someone yelling out what Ridley said as he was trying to kill her (but instead killed her mother), it would probably trigger it as well, but it wouldn't be as strong as seeing Ridley himself after he's supposed to be deader than dead.

4) http://metroid-database.com/manga/?vid=13&cid=62#manga_top (Page 5) Translation directly states "symptoms of PTSD".

5) You do not understand how PTSD works. One does not "deal with it" or "recover". Once it's there, it's there to stay. Now, one can work with keeping it under control, which Samus has managed to do.
However, she relapsed (which can very well happen IRL) when Ridley, who's supposed to have been blown up on Zebes, is somehow back out of nowhere without any logical explanation, causing repressed memories that she thought she could put at rest to hit her like an 18-wheeler.

6) For the time being; as I've said, one never gets over it completely.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How about you guys actually watch it rather than assume what it's about.

1)Even in the mangas, she deals with Ridley. I believe in Mangas she kills Ridley and lets out a primal battle cry.
2)Even still, it's never "triggered" in the other games.
3)PTSD can be triggered by multiple stimuli, not jusy one. She only freaks out with Ridley.
4)Manga says "undergo emotional duress." Not PTSD, unless you can find out something different.
5)If she deals with Ridley once, it means she is recovering. Other M is at the end of the timeline, so her freaking out now makes less sense with the PTSD story because she dealt with it long ago. She should haave less of a reaction, not more.
6)Near the end of the manga, Samus seemingly triumphs over her PTSD and manages to destroy Ridley again. In the actual game Metroid: Zero Mission, Samus' eyes are briefly seen through her visor before Ridley attacks. She seems to have a shocked expression, but is able to come to her senses and fight him.

Either way, it's poor writing
I remember reading somewhere that the manga isn't canon and I've also seen some claims regarding the manga as canon... so I don't really know. anyway, I have to agree with GoldenYuiitusin...

[COLLAPSE="Quote: GoldenYuiitusin"]
1) Even so, facing fears is not the same as removing them completely. It's only repressing them. And as that one Chozo said, "Repressed fear will grow inside you, even if you know it exists". http://metroid-database.com/manga/?vid=13&cid=64#manga_top
And no, she doesn't kill Ridley. He obviously comes back for Metroid/Zero Mission with Super Metroid being his actual death. He even states in the manga that he has a revival mechanism where he eats the flesh of corpses.

2) It was introduced in Zero Mission's time. Which means the only games it could have been triggered is Zero Mission, Prime 2, Hunters, Prime 3, and Other M.
Zero Mission, we have the expression as you said, but as someone pointed out to me, it doesn't really seem much of a shocked expression. Also, at this point in the manga (which covers Zero Mission up to the final fight with Mother Brain), we see that Samus is more determined to kill Ridley than anything else, putting her fear aside until the job is done.
Prime 2 and Hunters doesn't even have Ridley, so point is moot.
In Prime, Meta Ridley wasn't "killed", he was repelled. Granted, he did fall without working wings, but he's survived worse. Him coming back would not be any sort of surprise, hence no PTSD in Prime 3 when he returns. Nor when he comes back as Omega Ridley later, due to him coming back through the power of Phazon, and by this time, Samus is well aware of what corruption powers Phazon has. At this point, it'd be hard to tell if it was really even Ridley in mentality fighting her at that point, or just some corrupted puppet of the Leviathan on the Pirate Homeworld.
Now, by Other M, Ridley is supposed to be dead for good. There's no possible way he could survive an exploding planet (at which he didn't to our knowledge). Samus could finally put her mind at ease in regards to him, knowing she would never have to see him again. And then BAM! SURPRISE! Here he is again without any warning! Cue repressed memories flowing back at full force.

3) It can, but in this case, Ridley is specifically the trigger. Note, that just because something CAN do something, doesn't mean it automatically DOES. For example, a war vet in Vietnam saw his comrades burned to death. Grilling on a barbecue reminds him of that and triggers his PTSD. While it's not strong enough to affect him too deeply (which the only thing that would probably do so is seeing people be burned to death again), he does mention that it feels different to barbecue ever since.
If Samus saw like, a creature that looks a bit like Ridley, or someone yelling out what Ridley said as he was trying to kill her (but instead killed her mother), it would probably trigger it as well, but it wouldn't be as strong as seeing Ridley himself after he's supposed to be deader than dead.

4) http://metroid-database.com/manga/?vid=13&cid=62#manga_top Translation directly states "symptoms of PTSD".

5) You do not understand how PTSD works. One does not "deal with it" or "recover". Once it's there, it's there to stay. Now, one can work with keeping it under control, which Samus has managed to do.
However, she relapsed (which can very well happen IRL) when Ridley, who's supposed to have been blown up on Zebes, is somehow back out of nowhere without any logical explanation, causing repressed memories that she thought she could put at rest to hit her like an 18-wheeler.

6) For the time being; as I've said, one never gets over it completely.
[/COLLAPSE]

you can never get completely over PTSD. but, I do agree that there are some inconsistencies in the story, but then again, Other M's story has already been subjected to many interpretations, so whether the story is good or not is really subjective.

her reaction to Ridley in Other M makes total sense considering that it happens after Super Metroid where Zebes blows up with Ridley there. and anyway, Other M's Ridley isn't the same Ridley, but a clone made by the Federation.

and here we are in a SSB4 board discussing Metroid Other M's storyline...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At the very least, the manga has a lot of information and traits that were transferred into later games, but let's drop the subject before this gets worse. I still have bad memories about a certain "writer" criticizing the game to Hell and back.

What do you guys think of original costumes?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
At the very least, the manga has a lot of information and traits that were transferred into later games, but let's drop the subject before this gets worse. I still have bad memories about a certain "writer" criticizing the game to Hell and back.

What do you guys think of original costumes?
original costumes as in... made exclusively for SSB4? well, it wouldn't be a bad idea, but I prefer having costumes originating from other games.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Luco! Haven't seen ya in a while
Yo metal! ^_^

And Metroid other M isn't that bad a game. the thing that made it fall over so much was that when you looked at it as part of a series, it falls flat on its face. However, looking at it as its own game, it's not that bad. I found the gameplay to be okay and I wasn't actually too phased by Samus' dialogue in it. Rather than a whiny, piteous character i'd heard so much about, I found her to have some internal issues that haunted her but that she was still coming out strong (I actually haven't finished the game yet, i'm in the Gyrosphere - for the second time - atm).

Basically as part of the Metroid series, fans would have been severely disappointed but as its own game it wasn't too bad. It wasn't great but it wasn't awful either IMO.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Personally, I liked Other M, and it was only my second Metroid game after Fusion. I played the Prime Trilogy after that and I thought all of them were equally great with the original Prime being my favourite Metroid game. From what I've been seeing, people only seem to bash Other M from those who have played the Prime series first since they've become accustomed to Samus's emotionless personality. As a game, it's pretty good, but as a Metroid game, maybe not.

Since we're getting a little bit off-topic here, in terms of Smash 4, they should really use her Zero Suit model from Other M. She probably doesn't need to be more refined in the game to be more HD, but yeah. :x
Your favorite games in the metroid series are two of the worst

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
Fusion was the game that brought me back to Super Metroid, I felt that it was the closest iteration of Metroid to Super Metroid they could do. I personally liked Other M, the gameplay was slightly awkward, but everything else was pretty good, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom