• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's about 20% sell though IIRC. It's a niche title in a niche genre, a new IP on a struggling system with mediocre advertising. Per capita, I don't see it faring much better in NA either.

Shame.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think the Wii U is going to have absolutely dismal third-party support in 2014 if the few third-party multiplats that the Wii U actually has received bomb horribly.

This probably does not inspire much hope by Platinum for the Wii U.

The situation with Bayonetta 2 reminds with the RE-exclusivity deal with the GameCube, only with the potential to end up far uglier. Capcom was at least smart enough to build up the RE fanbase's audience by releasing REmake and RE0 (which was previously planned to be N64 exclusive anyway) and re-releasing nearly all of the major RE games (RE2, RE3, and RE:CVX) for the GameCube prior to RE4's release.

Not only is Bayonetta a much smaller game than the RE series ever was, at best, there will simply be an enhanced port for Bayonetta prior to Bayonetta 2's release in order to get the audience there.

Also, unlike RE4, Nintendo is the one funding this game, so Platinum does not even have the option to move the game to other platforms in case the game bombs or performs beneath their expectations.

Q4 2013 is really the do-or-die moment for the Wii U, and will really be the one where the few remaining third-parties decide whether to stay on or jump ship.

As the situation is looking, the Wii U could possibly end up with WORSE third-party support than what even the Nintendo 64 received.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, for all the hype and the likely high critical reception of games like Bayonetta 2 and X, I really don't see them faring well commercially, at least unless the Wii U manages to pick up a lot of steam. I agree that this holiday is crucial for the Wii U, if it doesn't step up its install base, it'll likely already be too late with some retailers and consumers by the time MK8 and SSB4 hit next year.

The silver lining (imo) is that if the Wii U flounders and flops, Nintendo has more than enough money to try again with a different, hopefully more lucrative and 3rd-party accessible approach. They're too stubborn and proud for their own good.

^ Neon
unless maybe wonder red is in smash?
Yeah... I wouldn't count on that. Sakurai is pretty picky about which series he adds to Smash... this time they've been on the caliber of Animal Crossing and Wii Fit... I wouldn't expect he'd add a character from an IP that wasn't even released at the time of roster creation. He doesn't include just any series to help promote them, he includes them once they've already proven themselves (in his mind).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
During the blackout, I spent a lot of time on the /vg/ Smash threads (I normally only browse /co/), and it's remarkable how different their community's opinions on characters are from ours. Over there, they treat logical, deserving characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Palutena as the most ridiculous suggestions in the world, yet support madness like Sukapon (sorry, Oasis), Tingle, Wonder Red, and Chibi Robo. It's fascinating.
I don't know the direct answer, but let's just say that 4chan as a whole is much more broad territory then any mere forum. We're talking about a place that mixes the sharks with the minnows so to speak. Naturally there is going to much more of a stir when so many different minds are being mixed into one place, many of which are less familiar with the infrastructure of Nintendo and the general development of a Super Smash Bros. game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What with the boards being down and the last three updates being the very definition of "meh" it hasn't been a very good week for Smash Bros, has it? My final year of my Masters kicked off on Monday and things have been freakishly stressful on my end. New job, nearly all my old friends are gone, being forced to work outside in a heatwave, etc. I definitely need a pick me up... It's kind of sad that the quality of the update kind of dictates my mood for the first half of the day...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The site was hacked??? Anyone know the reason?
Basically it was hacked to trick the server into thinking it was trying to handle millions of users on the site at once, causing it to crash for nearly three days. They're still trying to figure out who did it but this person also attacked Allisbrawl, Project M, and even Smogon.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
We're finally back? Excellent.

Well I think the best thing I came away with from my time on /vg/ is learning that Diddy is famous over there!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We're finally back? Excellent.

Well I think the best thing I came away with from my time on /vg/ is learning that Diddy is famous over there!

Oh boy.

So how about that Wii U Price Drop and the (ugly as sin) 2DS?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, on the situation regarding to The Wonderful 101, but with the current situation of the Wii U that game was expected to tank due to general bad timing. Though at the same time, when ever a new IP from Nintendo does tank, that does not normally mean good things. Usually it's just discouraging because everyone knows that when something new tanks it gets quickly shelved and we'll have to deal with more Mario whoring. It happens much more then you think, and it becomes even worse when people want something new and yet still ignore whatever new actually happens.

I mean over the years, the only one that managed to defy that stigma is Xenoblade Chronicles, what with the whole Operation Rainfall movement and getting a sequel/successor.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone else think the 2DS should be the new WTF character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom