• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
lol

In all seriousness though, you can't wish for the game to release tomorrow without wishing for it to live up to what they are developing it to be.

It's better they spend a long time developing it. Not several years, but a reasonable amount. (probably a little over 1 year, or 2)
Agreed. Although I gotta admit that Brawl felt like if more was concentrated on non-SSE stuff, it could've been far better.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an excellent game, but I felt the Classic and All-Star suffered pretty badly in both balance and fun. Also, honestly, the lower amount of Mini-Games in Brawl was terrible. Melee's removal of Board the Platforms for the Trophy Grab was fine, since they combined BtP and Race to the Finish entirely. But I felt like it was cooler to have them separate, likewise, let's be honest, the combination wasn't fair for every character since each of their Board the Platforms was made to be balanced around them, and just the right challenge. Also, if we can have Generic Target Tests back, they should be specifically for co-op. The regular versions are great for individual characters.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Agreed. Although I gotta admit that Brawl felt like if more was concentrated on non-SSE stuff, it could've been far better.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an excellent game, but I felt the Classic and All-Star suffered pretty badly in both balance and fun. Also, honestly, the lower amount of Mini-Games in Brawl was terrible. Melee's removal of Board the Platforms for the Trophy Grab was fine, since they combined BtP and Race to the Finish entirely. But I felt like it was cooler to have them separate, likewise, let's be honest, the combination wasn't fair for every character since each of their Board the Platforms was made to be balanced around them, and just the right challenge. Also, if we can have Generic Target Tests back, they should be specifically for co-op. The regular versions are great for individual characters.
I want every mini-game to come back personally. And give BtP and TT a seperate layout for each character.

It'd be cool if Snag the Trophies was longer. Race to the Finish and BtP needs to come to Stadium mode. And let a few more modes be used online. (like Boss Battles, if they still Brawl styled bosses that is, which I hope they do)

I liked Melee's Target Test since they really made you try to use everything you could to break them, they were a both a skill and speed mini-game, and a character training game. It doesn't just have you break the targets, it has you learn the characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I want every mini-game to come back personally. And give BtP and TT a seperate layout for each character.

It'd be cool if Snag the Trophies was longer. Race to the Finish and BtP needs to come to Stadium mode. And let a few more modes be used online. (like Boss Battles, if they still Brawl styled bosses that is, which I hope they do)

I liked Melee's Target Test since they really made you try to use everything you could to break them, they were a both a skill and speed mini-game, and a character training game. It doesn't just have you break the targets, it has you learn the characters.
Pretty much.

I do admit that the co-op options were pretty fun, though. I want those back regardless.

Also, no more Target Tests like Pichu's. :|

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
New Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow at 7am Pacific Time and it's going to feature...

games that were announced to release this year :troll:.
No SSB news.

Featuring games announced to release this year.

Mewtwo in Pokemon X and Y.

Pokemon X and Y is going to be released this year.

Mewtwo confirmed.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Because HugS is 100% right; 80% of Brawl's stages should have been banned from the beginning. It will be mostly the same with the Smash WiiU and 3DS.

In competitive tournaments people want to see the best players fight the best players, not the best players fight the stage. You can't do that on most stages.

And besides, if you know anything about competitive smash, you'd know that HugS has been around over a decade, he played for about half a decade when freaking Poké Floats, Flat Zone, stalling on Princess Peach's Castles, Mushroom Kingdom (Melee), Green Greens (so much camping). Corneria (that side camping), and a few other stages on Melee.

Then in Brawl he had to suffer months and years of stages like Mushroomy Kingdom (I can't believe I went to a tournament where that was legal; myself and others raged at the TO, but he was like "nah, we gotta try all deh stagers!"), Mario Circuit, The Bridge of Eldin, Pirate Ship (water = camping/stalling), Frigate Orpheon (those random flips are stupid) Norfair (my God Meta Knight can camp there), Pokémon Stadium 2 (half of the transformations create a stalling state, and this stage was legal largely until like 2009), Skyworld (those breaking floors made it unbearable, and this stage went unbanned until like 2010 or 2011!), Green Hill Zone (terribly designed stage), etc. etc. etc. Heck, Hanebow was legal at a tournament I went to; Hanebow! It wasn't even troll legal, it was flat out legal!

I mean, who are you to insult the validity of HugS and say he is wrong when he clearly has logged in a few hundred times as many tournament hours than you or I.
If the way he wrote his post is they way the smash community should act, I'll questions his damn validity till the day I die. I never said he hasn't played on a lot of stages, or hasn't put in a bunch of hours. (Though gotta say, careful with experience arguments, it's kinda like ad hominem saying I haven't had as much therefore I'm not correct and he is.) I asked where the hell is the civility? Who the hell has to talk like that? Maybe we do keep some seriously stupid stages at time, even from a liberal point of view I know many stages should have just been nixed from the start. (I'm reading over a thread where Rumble Falls was argued for legality, they have some points but it's just never going to be accepted for fighting on. I gotta make up a name for that, the "Mario Bros. Phenomenon" sounds best.) And I'll agree on many stages you mentioned: Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, and Pirate Ship for sure really should never have been kept legal as well as some other stages.. But I can and will start up a fight over PS2 ESPECIALLY and might be willing to fight over Norfair though MK does make that an issue, MK HIMSELF is the issue. We'll avoid this topic though, it's an entire other wall of text. However, on the topic of PS2 if I have to I'll go dig up my top level sets from the regions that still have it legal. This stage causes no problems during gameplay for two players knowledgable on the stage, and I challenge to find footage of some unbeatable stall tactic there, as it's harder to stall on many potions then you'd think. (Heck, Norfair makes it hard to planking camp at times too, you got a rising hazard to deal with and incredible angles to attack from, you'd be amazed what can happen there., though sheilding against the hazard is doable... The original reason that stage got such a nasty look was a JIGGLYPUFF match that no one could ever produce film for btw. Scary stuff.) I even could write up a HUGE essay for PS2 though it's been done before and other then the author also not exactly being diplomatic, he explains why it should be legal perfectly. I'll link it if I must.

But that doesn't give someone the right to act like a total ass about it, what reasonable person is going to listen to someone talking like that? We're talking in the standardized ruleset development thread in the 3DS forum (to which me and T0MMY finally are getting a convo in and is going pretty damn well) and he's going over my thoughts and I his in a CIVIL MATTER. We may even find a middle ground at this rate. If he had presented his points in a decent way, I would have actually entertained the thread. All that thread is now is people saying "You're right! Good thread!" without presenting ANY evidence as to why he is correct. Check out that huge post by Amazing Ampharos, not a single response. I got this feeling people are too scared to take him on, because looking back at history shows a lot about how smash actually was formed when making rulesets shows some seriously bad practices. And he's asking for evidence from this veteran of such stages to show the matches ruined by such stages, not just say the stages were a problem. I challenge you to do the same.

Now, I realize we two have differences in opinion as to what should or should not be legal, there is some subjectivity in rulesets after all, but at least every time we've talked you were civil and polite. I don't care if HugS is on level to be the greatest player of all time, I will not have any respect for someone who can't even back themselves up or post in a civil matter, and neither should you.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not gonna lie at first glance I thought this was the Mario Circuit from Mario Kart NES
SNES Mario Kart stage would be awesome IMO... maybe we could get SNES Mario Kart characters as Assist Trophies instead... imagine 16-bit Mario characters driving around in 16-bit karts... Mario and Luigi sprites would OHKO everyone with their star ability... Yoshi sprite would throw eggs... Peach and Toad sprites would throw poison mushrooms.. Bowser sprite would throw fireballs... Donkey Kong Jr. sprite would make everyone trip by throwing bananas... and Koopa Troopa sprite would throw green shells... :awesome:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i'm still putting my hopes up for more character reveals... i dont even care if it's just veterans.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Happy to hear about the Nintendo Direct announcement. Crossing my fingers on another newcomer confirmation for Smash 4, but I am personally doubtful on it.

On the topic of games to be released this year, I am anxious to see more of A Link Between Worlds, which will probably be the last "new" Zelda I ever play though.

The 3DS in general will probably be my last game console. Over the past several years, especially the last several months, I have found increasingly less time for anything pertaining to gaming, even online discussion (which is only relegated to Smash Bros. discussion nowadays).

As I got older and had less time, my game preferences changed, I used to have quite the appetite for "epic" games, but nowadays I like something I can merely pick up and play. However, even among platformers I am burnt out, and content to simply replay though the library I already have.

While its not guaranteed that I will get A Link Between Worlds or Smash 4 (depends on the content and feedback for both of these), these two will probably be the last fully "new" retail games I ever buy solely for myself. However, if a 2D Metroid (or Retro developed Metroid) or new F-Zero were ever made for the 3DS I would be sure to pick them up, though I am doubtful either of those two will happen for the 3DS.

Its more likely that my last games after Smash 4 will be remakes of games that I already hold dear (Majora's Mask, FE6, and a compilation of all three Mother games hopefully).

Smash 4 has already added Mega Man, whom is probably my favorite non-Nintendo game character, and added the Villager, whom while I was not hoping for or anticipating, represents a game to which I had one of the most pleasant game experiences ever (the GCN Animal Crossing).

Ridley of course is the one characters that I am really hoping makes the cut this time around. However, aside for him I am really crossing my fingers for the return of Mewtwo and Roy (I think the former is virtually guaranteed), very minimal cuts, as well as icing on the cake additions such as Toad, Dixie Kong, and Little Mac (very fond of Wario's Woods, DKC2-3, and the Punch-Out series). Smash 4 could very well be a very worthy final "new" game for me, containing nearly all of the video game characters that have some meaning to me.

We only have 1.25 years left until Smash 4 finally releases (its probably going to be November 2014), and for many of us, it will probably be the last time we spend a lot of time being hyped about a video game. Many of us will be going into the next stage of life after Smash 4's release, and will no longer have the time that can be spent talking about or playing games.

I do think though its possible Smash 4 character speculation could continue on into 2015 if Sakurai opens the door for character DLC. If that is the case, my hopes would lie that any character that cut with Brawl that did not return for Smash 4, would make their return as DLC. That would be the my hopes. A Smash 4 game with Brawl's cast, Mewtwo and Roy returning, and Smash 4's roster of newcomers (with Ridley at least being among them) would be the definitive Smash Bros. game to me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So the direct is only for games that release this year?

So sad...

Also, Falkoopa is a mod now! Cool!

EDIT:

Venus too?

Did we just get a ton of new mods?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Fal is a WHAT?!

Why the hell didn't I get a red banner too? So he's... no longer one of us? :sadeyes:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There needs to be more mods at the SSB4 character discussion, not the SSB4 general discussion. Have you not seen that section? It's beyond train wreck tier, it's now Titanic disaster tier.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The 3DS in general will probably be my last game console. Over the past several years, especially the last several months, I have found increasingly less time for anything pertaining to gaming, even online discussion (which is only relegated to Smash Bros. discussion nowadays).
As I got older and had less time, my game preferences changed, I used to have quite the appetite for "epic" games, but nowadays I like something I can merely pick up and play. However, even among platformers I am burnt out, and content to simply replay though the library I already have.

We only have 1.25 years left until Smash 4 finally releases (its probably going to be November 2014), and for many of us, it will probably be the last time we spend a lot of time being hyped about a video game. Many of us will be going into the next stage of life after Smash 4's release, and will no longer have the time that can be spent talking about or playing games.
I can relate all too well to this because I went through this mulling before Brawl came out. See, I thought the same thing about Brawl as you do about SSB4 and it was one of the big reasons why I was so upset when it didn't have Geno or Megaman. To me, I saw Brawl as a farewell to my favorite hobby of nearly 20 years because I was so sure I was going to be swept away in adult responsibilities when I'd leave my quiet community college to go to a big state university in the fall of 2008. Nearly 6 years have passed since then and, I have to say, I was right about some things and wrong about others. I'm working full time, working on my Master's, and work with over 30 student organizations. My schedule is stuffed from 7am 9pm every weekday when school is in session but, as you can see, I'm still here and I'm still a gamer. I might not have as much time as I used to but I still find the time to play games regardless. If the years following Brawl taught me anything it's that if something is important to you, you will make the time for it and if it makes you happy, there's no reason to cut it out of your life.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There needs to be more mods at the SSB4 character discussion, not the SSB4 general discussion. Have you not seen that section? It's beyond train wreck tier, it's now Titanic disaster tier.
It's funny, a majority of the ridiculous arguments aren't completely focused on the characters, they're mainly about users. First the Mr. Lange on the Ridley thread, then Noah on the Roster Prediction thread, and now Divine on several of them.

Even if it is about a character, it was started by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

EDIT: Just. Now. Noticed. A. Stupid. Mistake. Fixed. Facepalm.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Even the mods are afraid to dwell into the character section.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Even the mods are afraid to dwell into the character section.
It's a forbidden place indeed...

I'd brave it, where do I sign up? Someone has gotta tame that place...
Falkoopa is a mod now.

He's a Toon Link fan.

Toon Link has traveled to several forbidden places.

Does this mean the character discussion section is saved?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, its not just that I don't have the time. Its also I don't have the same amount of interest in games that I used (barely any in the modern sense), and I have even less tolerance of idiots and deviants than I used to.

As you get older your interests change, and so does your demeanor to an extent.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've loved games since my very first one, and sure I get tired of one particular game after a long time, but one day I decide to go back and play it again, for old time's sake. I'll also sometimes play it if a new game in the series is coming out.

Whether I'll always be such a gamer is something I won't know until time tells me, but I love it now, and I'll keep gaming so long as I love it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Falkoopa and Venus will be good mods.

More mods may be just what we needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom