• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

Jayford

Smash Lord
rofl i play both, they are both fun

and goose was referring to the one time he used my elf overrun deck rofl

and jay, saku isn't chainable so it isn't as reliable if people are popping ur back row before they attack

When I played it was pretty hard to destroy the back field. You only had at most 1 mystical space typhoon, 2 or 3 dust tornados. I can't remember if they were limited, and 1 maybe 2 mobious if the person was bad. So even if they destroy one it's still a one for one card trade off. The same happens with trap hole. But, with Sekuretsu you can choose which monster to destroy and you can kill stuff that has already been summoned. So if gives more control.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I played yu gi oh in middle school. Won a toys r us tourney too. But people 18 and over weren't allowed to play... that might have helped. Although I think they banned a bunch of the cards I used like monster reborn and such. I played with card restrictions but quit before they started banning stuff.

_kSo_

Smash Master
When I played it was pretty hard to destroy the back field. You only had at most 1 mystical space typhoon, 2 or 3 dust tornados. I can't remember if they were limited, and 1 maybe 2 mobious if the person was bad. So even if they destroy one it's still a one for one card trade off. The same happens with trap hole. But, with Sekuretsu you can choose which monster to destroy and you can kill stuff that has already been summoned. So if gives more control.
ah, i c. Yeah they have so many cards that target back fields now: mostly monster effects, so they are hard to stop. Like most effects instead of targeting a monster on the field or a spell/trap card, it just says like "destroy one card on the field" or "remove one card on the field from play" which makes them invaluable to most decks. This is the reason why mirror force is the last viable non-chainable backfield card that people still run of that type. saku is hardly ever seen anymore :( tis a shame kuz i loved that card too.

I played yu gi oh in middle school. Won a toys r us tourney too. But people 18 and over weren't allowed to play... that might have helped. Although I think they banned a bunch of the cards I used like monster reborn and such. I played with card restrictions but quit before they started banning stuff.
omg yea, i had a kickass yata deck and they banned him to hell along with a bunch of other really expensive cards that i had taken the time to collect (like raigeki and harpy's feather duster) well i guess the game got a little more strategic after cards like that were banned, especially with the introduction of syncro monsters 0_O

Jayford

Smash Lord
ah, i c. Yeah they have so many cards that target back fields now: mostly monster effects, so they are hard to stop. Like most effects instead of targeting a monster on the field or a spell/trap card, it just says like "destroy one card on the field" or "remove one card on the field from play" which makes them invaluable to most decks. This is the reason why mirror force is the last viable non-chainable backfield card that people still run of that type. saku is hardly ever seen anymore :( tis a shame kuz i loved that card too.

omg yea, i had a kickass yata deck and they banned him to hell along with a bunch of other really expensive cards that i had taken the time to collect (like raigeki and harpy's feather duster) well i guess the game got a little more strategic after cards like that were banned, especially with the introduction of syncro monsters 0_O
lmao non limited format was dumb. If you didn't use BLS, CED, Yata, and all the field clearing cards you didn't really stand a chance. Although I went to an unrestricted tournament and got like 3rd with my mostly ban list friendly Blue Eyes White Dragon deck XD. I think in almost every game I play I love low tiers >.>

_kSo_

Smash Master
lmao non limited format was dumb. If you didn't use BLS, CED, Yata, and all the field clearing cards you didn't really stand a chance. Although I went to an unrestricted tournament and got like 3rd with my mostly ban list friendly Blue Eyes White Dragon deck XD. I think in almost every game I play I love low tiers >.>
dude dragon decks are freaking awesome i love them

lol i sucked into playing a top tier deck, even though my exodia deck was still whoopin dat ass ROFL

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I had harpy's myself. And you are probably right about the strategy thing, but I would never spend the money to get back into it.

At my level brains and deck building were more important than cards. Most people didn't have amazing cards( I only even saw a yata played once), and everyone built their own decks from their own ideas, so as long as you had solid cards and a good head you were good to go. It was all about those little combos with common cards. Change of heart your opponents strong monster to sacrifice for summoned skull or something, then use monster reborn to get your opponent's strong monster and take out 1/2 their lifepoints in a turn.

Either that or I'd play some deck to get some beast card out like archlord zarato. I loved my fairy deck. Wasn't too good though.

Those were the good ol days.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
DJ, FRO, GEORGE!!!! whatcha guys wanna do tomorrow?
Well, I'm not any of those people, but I could probably smash this afternoon. I mean if there's illicit activities I'll pass (no "holier than though" kind of deal intended, it's just not my bag and I'm paranoid of being caught and such), but otherwise, if you are interested, I'd be interested.

_kSo_

Smash Master
I had harpy's myself. And you are probably right about the strategy thing, but I would never spend the money to get back into it.

At my level brains and deck building were more important than cards. Most people didn't have amazing cards( I only even saw a yata played once), and everyone built their own decks from their own ideas, so as long as you had solid cards and a good head you were good to go. It was all about those little combos with common cards. Change of heart your opponents strong monster to sacrifice for summoned skull or something, then use monster reborn to get your opponent's strong monster and take out 1/2 their lifepoints in a turn.

Either that or I'd play some deck to get some beast card out like archlord zarato. I loved my fairy deck. Wasn't too good though.

Those were the good ol days.
LOL fairies are actually still ran nowadays, i dunno if Vallhalla was run before, but now you can special summon a fairy with it if you control no monsters. So all those strong fairies can come out for free, essentially...0_O and now there's a fairy called tethys, which says whenever you draw, if the card is a fairy, you may reveal it to draw another card. fuckin' hand advantage out the ass

also, I didn't spend any money whatsoever when i got back into it ROFL...i just had a lot of old stuff people needed so I traded to get my collection of new stuff up. Now i have a pretty standard tourney deck, minus the $50 beast cards lol

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm not any of those people, but I could probably smash this afternoon. I mean if there's illicit activities I'll pass (no "holier than though" kind of deal intended, it's just not my bag and I'm paranoid of being caught and such), but otherwise, if you are interested, I'd be interested.
lol don't worry, I don't smoke or drink either. I'll be up for smash later in the day and we can always force our way into fro's room (i know where he lives <.<)

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
im down to smash today, post up if ur down
up.
lol don't worry, I don't smoke or drink either. I'll be up for smash later in the day and we can always force our way into fro's room (i know where he lives <.<)
Sounds good, I'll bring the siege towers, do you have a catapult? I'll pm you my number, I think George and Fro both already have it. (I have theirs...)

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
magic is annoying now because one deck(jund) poons everything else and its like playing on easy mode

but if i was going to a tournament i would obv run jund cuz it whoops ***
Yeah, I was playing a jund ditto in a tourney yesterday and it was so stupid. I made like 2 really obvious misplays but i still won because i drew more ruinblasters.

Although it's not all bad, because i made a misplay later vs u/w that ended up costing me the match. :(

But yeah, now is a bad time to get into magic because you need to either buy a deck thats going to rotate out in october or drop like $300 on a playset of jaces.

Also surprised at how many yugioh players there are here. wtf is up with that?

'Fro

Smash Lord
Invading my place would have been OK had it still been suitable for the purposes involved. My Earhart room is not capable of hosting a Smash fest bigger than four people at the absolute maximum, and even that's kind of pushing it what with the lack of seating available. Using the lobby space might be OK, if people don't throw fits for ruining their studying or whatever. Anyway, I wouldn't be able to guarantee my presence for long, as I'm supposed to be meeting a friend visiting from out of town.

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
same here small room and none of u guys are laying in my bed >:O. But Earhart has some back rooms and if people bring set ups I can ask them if we can borrow it. Skylar and brain you guys can come too

voorhese

Smash Master

I wrote this novel, but the whole post was basically me not understanding why you would need to come down to know if you should continue to play a character. So yeah, I don't get it.
well, i want to see how he fairs agaisnt people who know what they are doing

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Yeah ... I just woke up, but my place is good fer smash.
Only one roommate left and he's not here/down with the whole smash thing.

Only downside is I have a grand total of 0 setups here thanks to my ditch last weekend.

EDIT: Jooooosh ... I don't have your numberrrrrr ... damnit.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Yeah ... I just woke up, but my place is good fer smash.
Only one roommate left and he's not here/down with the whole smash thing.

Only downside is I have a grand total of 0 setups here thanks to my ditch last weekend.

EDIT: Jooooosh ... I don't have your numberrrrrr ... damnit.
Everyone is at george's. It was mad fun, wish I could have stayed longer. (everyone = george dj and josh)

Random marth ftw.

EDIT#2: I need to do smashfests like that weekly, thanks guys for playing and thanks to george for teaching me all about buffering. Also ggs Josh, those were some pretty intense games. After you came back and beat me at cruise I was pretty worried.

Top Bottom