• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

Jayford

Smash Lord
Everyone is at george's. It was mad fun, wish I could have stayed longer. (everyone = george dj and josh)

Random marth ftw.

EDIT#2: I need to do smashfests like that weekly, thanks guys for playing and thanks to george for teaching me all about buffering. Also ggs Josh, those were some pretty intense games. After you came back and beat me at cruise I was pretty worried.
I still don't understand buffering LOLOLOLOL

BunBun

Smash Master
Yeah ... I just woke up, but my place is good fer smash.
Only one roommate left and he's not here/down with the whole smash thing.

Only downside is I have a grand total of 0 setups here thanks to my ditch last weekend.

EDIT: Jooooosh ... I don't have your numberrrrrr ... damnit.
What the hell are you talking about. What happened to my TV's?

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
What the hell are you talking about. What happened to my TV's?
Umm ... well, you took two of them with you.
And George had the ninja TV.
The very very large TV has not moved.

I had no cubes.
No worries. I got everything back from George at the smash-fest.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
EDIT:Should have read the OP....

And George, your carpet gave me carpet burn on my foot, if it gets infected and I have to amputate, I'm suing you for your fox skills. (no point in suing a college student for money, :D)

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
EDIT:Should have read the OP....

And George, your carpet gave me carpet burn on my foot, if it gets infected and I have to amputate, I'm suing you for your fox skills. (no point in suing a college student for money, :D)

LOL. GGs yesterday C(K?)orey. Your tech with falcon is very solid, I can tell you have been practicing. your technical skill with marth is good as well, and you have the basic concepts of spacing down. Also, your edgeguarding with neutral B was very good. Good job beating Josh in that close challenge =)

I think you have alot of potential to improve very rapidly, because you have put alot of practice time in on tech skill. If you go to a few tournaments and get your combos down, you should see real improvement. I recommend playing falcon or marth; your tech with marth needs to get up to par with falcon, so practice it if you want to use him.

Sorry about the rugburn O_o

it's better than pikachu's

lolololol

i prayed that one day you would be good enough to make it past pichu and kirby on the tier list
im proud of you andrew maybe one day ul be enjoyable to play
im pretty sure andrews fox/sheik would roll you now ;)

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
LOL. GGs yesterday C(K?)orey. Your tech with falcon is very solid, I can tell you have been practicing. your technical skill with marth is good as well, and you have the basic concepts of spacing down. Also, your edgeguarding with neutral B was very good. Good job beating Josh in that close challenge =)
Corey is correct. Thanks for the comment on the tech skill, It's encouraging. My tech is better than my brains reight now because all I can really do to get better is to read threads and play cpus. The spacing is probably because I played marth before I got competitive and spammed fsmash a lot.

My tech (especially with spacies) locks up a good bit with pressure. i usually don't roll that much. :D And I can actually pillar combo CPUs with falco. I've done some waveshing with both and like to multishine with falco (sure cant do it with fox though. :/) I think the reason my marth worked was that it let me slow down and be patient, and just wait for openings to abuse my range (although against gannon it's really more of a speed thing).

I think you have alot of potential to improve very rapidly, because you have put alot of practice time in on tech skill. If you go to a few tournaments and get your combos down, you should see real improvement. I recommend playing falcon or marth; your tech with marth needs to get up to par with falcon, so practice it if you want to use him.
Thanks. I'll probably use both. Apparently marth goes 40:60 with shiek, it might help with that matchup. But yeah, I haven't practiced with marth much before then, just shuffled aerials (especially nair) and your basic dding and wding. i also leared to chaingrab spacies from the last time I wanted to use him, so the liberal utilt use was probably from that. And I have practice edgeguarding from my uber noob days. I'd just sit by the ledge and charge b, so I have the timing down for that pretty well. But I'm trying to up my tech with marth now since I'll probably use him as well. I think I can go june 5th, hopefully my tech will be passable by then so I can focus on the mental aspects of the match. I really should have used dtilt more in the match, it's really good and fast. Doesn't leave you too vulnerable. But thanks a lot for your encouragement, I'll keep practicing while I can. (I'll probably take a break when school starts so I can get used to the mega increased work load... I want to graduate with a 3.8)

Sorry about the rugburn O_o
Don't even worry about it, I was more joking than anything. After I took a hot shower it felt a lot better and hasn't bugged me. I hope we can smash some more in the future.

Also: thought some of you fans of electronic music might appreciate this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3CJdm5pVc8&feature=related
He does all of his remixes and original works live on keyboard or piano. I think it's pretty cool. The above is a link to one of his originals, but I'd recommend checking out some of his remixes as well.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
So in some bizarre twist of fate, George returned me MY gamecube.
Which I didn't even realize was missing in the first place.
This was not useful, as neither the game nor the memory card were in it. -_-

TheOJ

Smash Journeyman
Uhm.......
*Ahem*

Of course I paid full price for it at a registered dealer.

I would never pirate anything. Honest.
Isn't that what everyone does?

on a second note: Wow, i haven't been on in awhile. I lost my password to the boards and was too lazy to reset it until now. hopefully i'm not completely forgotten. I haven't been able to play for awhile but I want to come to the next s3bo.

on a third note: will be attending purdue fall semester at earhart. if anyone is living close to there... tell me... i want a practice partner...

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Uhm.......
*Ahem*

Of course I paid full price for it at a registered dealer.

I would never pirate anything. Honest.
*grumble grumble*

If pirating were only illegal and didn't actually hurt companies and therefore hurt individuals trying to make a living and support their families, I might not care as much. I know I wouldn't like to hear my pay had been docked or I was being laid off because too many people were stealing my company's product.

Do unto others.....

... anyway, moral and emotional appeal aside...

*grumble grumble* ... That still doesn't help me.

BunBun

Smash Master
You know, if companies charged something fiscally responsible, I wouldn't mind paying for it.

But when FL Studio is 300 dollars, and then you have to pay hundreds of dollars for each plugin, synth and sample pack, f that noise I'm pirating it.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
You know, if companies charged something fiscally responsible, I wouldn't mind paying for it.

But when FL Studio is 300 dollars, and then you have to pay hundreds of dollars for each plugin, synth and sample pack, f that noise I'm pirating it.
#1 Companies have to raise prices due to pirating. If everyone paid for their product they could charge less. So you are only making to problem when you pirate.

#2 When a company has a quality product, they have the right to charge high prices. Maybe you cant afford it. Then you just deal with that fact and don't screw over other people. You can buy a less expensive product that isn't as good.

#3 This is really good chewing gum, I need to get more of this."Extra Winterfresh."

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
There are two viewpoints at play here.

1) Companies have a right to charge prices that give ridiculously high profit margins per item sold because they put in the work to make and develop the product.

2) The evil companies are obstructing our creative abilities by putting prohibitively high prices on the goods we need. Therefore pirating is ok.

The first is probably right, but the second benefits me more, making it more widespread.

In reality, computer software is a nonrival, nonexcludable good. If I will never pay $400 (or however much it retails for) for it, the companies haven't really lost any money if I pirate it, and they may in fact make money if I recommend it to someone who doesn't pirate it.

Corey, your solution makes the erroneous assumption that a significant percentage of potential users of the product aren't selfish jerks.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
#1 Companies have to raise prices due to pirating. If everyone paid for their product they could charge less. So you are only making to problem when you pirate.

#2 When a company has a quality product, they have the right to charge high prices. Maybe you cant afford it. Then you just deal with that fact and don't screw over other people. You can buy a less expensive product that isn't as good.

#3 This is really good chewing gum, I need to get more of this."Extra Winterfresh."
1. -> That's actually not true. Companies charge exorbitant prices for things because they believe a consumer will pay it. If they were truly having problems compensating for the loss due to piracy, they would be turning out a lower quality product - hiring less skilled individuals and most likely lowering the total cost to the consumer - thus BECOMING that second option. Instead, you'll find many professionals who use the product are willing to pay full price for it, and that it's mainly disaffected college students doing the stealing.

I'm not saying it's morally acceptable to pirate software - or that piracy doesn't have some small effect on pricing - but the idea that it raises costs hundreds of dollars is slightly naive.

2. -> This, however, is completely true ... provided there actually IS a lower quality alternative. In many cases, you'll find that there isn't a second equitable option - and that if there were, quite a larger number of people would simply use that product instead. These companies maintain their pricing mandate by copyrighting and constantly updating - often discontinuing sale of the older (perfectly functional) versions altogether.

</photoshop_rant>

3. -> I have no counter argument. Everything you say here is true. I like fruit gum better, but I'm allergic to mint ... so my opinion is invalid.

EDIT: Does the way my bot colors text now make anyone else think of watermelons?

_kSo_

Smash Master
rofl. MS paint should do the trick 0_o

I could really go for some juicy fruit right now

also, thanks to anthony i've been spamming the **** out of "rofl"

like seriously wtf

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
Honestly I think there is nothing wrong with software pirating. It does cost the company money to make it, but you are taking nothing real. Its all just binary crap really. It is different than stealing food or something tangible. I will never pay money for software, its just ********. Paying for software has been on the decline since the early 90's(remember shareware LOL), and its gonna keep going down thanks to the good ole internet.

It all comes down to the whole "intellectual property" debate. I think IP is a load of crap and doesn't really exist.

Example:

"Imagine the time when men lived in caves. One bright guy—let’s call him Galt-Magnon—decides to build a log cabin on an open field, near his crops. To be sure, this is a good idea, and others notice it. They naturally imitate Galt-Magnon, and they start building their own cabins. But the first man to invent a house, according to IP advocates, would have a right to prevent others from building houses on their own land, with their own logs, or to charge them a fee if they do build houses. It is plain that the innovator in these examples becomes a partial owner of the tangible property (e.g., land and logs) of others, due not to first occupation and use of that property (for it is already owned), but due to his coming up with an idea. Clearly, this rule flies in the face of the first-user homesteading rule, arbitrarily and groundlessly overriding the very homesteading rule that is at the foundation of all property rights"

Stolen from wikipedia obviously lolol

Top Bottom