• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

_kSo_

Smash Master
Can someone tell me if you guys are doing Brawl on the 16th or not?

Dlaw said you were considering it. Need to know ASAP so I know if I'm coming or not.
Hey man, sorry for all the ambiguous responses. But the Purdue smash scene consists primarily of Melee, not brawl. The tournaments we've had for the past 2 years have been essentially all melee. You are still welcome to come and bring a brawl setup - we have a few people that might be willing to do some brawl friendlies, but be warned, our community here is very melee inclined, so you may not find what you are looking for at this tournament.

Hope this helped.

Jayford

Smash Lord
Hey man, sorry for all the ambiguous responses. But the Purdue smash scene consists primarily of Melee, not brawl. The tournaments we've had for the past 2 years have been essentially all melee. You are still welcome to come and bring a brawl setup - we have a few people that might be willing to do some brawl friendlies, but be warned, our community here is very melee inclined, so you may not find what you are looking for at this tournament.

Hope this helped.
I play Barwl : D. We can play if you come.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
He started showing up right before my first tourney... ... the eloquent likewise post... good stuff.

Hello, I might be able to show up to a couple tourneys, but I'm broke, so I'll probably stick with friendlies. The 16th I'll be at Purdue for some scholar's day thing (I got the trustee's scholarship, whoohoo!) but I'm busy afterwords, so I won't be able to attend. I'll look into the 30th, but if anyone wants to smash in the mean time, let me know, some of you have my number... If not, I'll probably hit up the smashboards in ~24hrs, so ask for it on this thread and I'll pm it to you. Also, do we have any smashfests scheduled? Those would work just as well for me, but you know my conditions.... although I'm perfectly capable of leaving when/if that stuff starts up and you guys can enjoy yourselves.

Have a great day all.

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
sooooo im going through smash withdrawels I will be on campus today (monday) until tomorrow. If anyone is around and wants to smash call me!! OR TEXT ME at 765-432-3648. Do not put a message on here i will not see it til tomorrow. (no internet on campus) Then i will be sad and so will you. love

goosefactor

Smash Lord
OMG, Darkflow, GTFO, rofl. Wow, after looking at that past sentence, I must say that social networking has tremendously helped my writing skills.

The Chun, Andrew went back home for school.

Frosof, totally glad you guys ended up coming up. It sucks that you guys had to leave early.

Also, playing Tetris with cars in snowy conditions totally sucks.

Roy, your whole Gauntlet thing is just hilarious.

Also, it's past 1:00 and Anthony's still sleeping. 0_o He is such a lazy little Italian.

BIG C

Smash Master
OMG, Darkflow, GTFO, rofl. Wow, after looking at that past sentence, I must say that social networking has tremendously helped my writing skills.

Frosof, totally glad you guys ended up coming up. It sucks that you guys had to leave early.

Also, it's past 1:00 and Anthony's still sleeping. 0_o He is such a lazy little Italian.
pfft lazy italian. it's past 1:45 and I haven't even went to sleep yet.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord

i see. my bad, i didn't know bun bun was back home. he was fun to smash with

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
alright thanks. Won't be coming then. Not worth it for friendles. Melee's fun and all but I probably wouldn't win money. Dlaw/Columbus'll have to find another ride.

voorhese

Smash Master
well i went of my schedule of about an hour a day, because of WoW.

so now i have to change it to like 2 hours a day because my fox was very inconsistant today when i tried him after not playing for like 4 days =(

Jayford

Smash Lord
well i went of my schedule of about an hour a day, because of WoW.

so now i have to change it to like 2 hours a day because my fox was very inconsistant today when i tried him after not playing for like 4 days =(
Omg Voorhese. I haven't played all break lmao. You just gotta believe when you play Fox and the tech skill comes. It's kinda like the force.

goosefactor

Smash Lord

edit: dammit CNN you watched it right before I did and posted basically the same response. On a different note, I need me some mariokart :( it's been too long sonnn
OMG, my Funky Kong and his bike will totally destroy both you chumps.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
That video was so good.

IDK if it makes me want to quit or what.

The bomb tech dair was gross. Like. I was so amazed by that I absolutely don't know what to say.

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
speaking of combos, i gotta ask fro something. In street fighter III third strike i keep winning using the same move over and over again. light punch in the air to heavy kick sweep and keep doing that until i reached the wall where i do ken's special (the 2 qcf kick) . Now my question is this a legit combo or are my friends so inexperience that they don't know how to escape it? Same goes for me btw <.<

_kSo_

Smash Master

'Fro

Smash Lord
speaking of combos, i gotta ask fro something. In street fighter III third strike i keep winning using the same move over and over again. light punch in the air to heavy kick sweep and keep doing that until i reached the wall where i do ken's special (the 2 qcf kick) . Now my question is this a legit combo or are my friends so inexperience that they don't know how to escape it? Same goes for me btw <.<
Before I respond to this, please remember I'm not trying to be insulting.

First off, Ken's jumping jab is a terrible attack with only VERY situational use. If your opponent knows you're gonna do that, they should just be able to dragon punch you outta the air, or just hit you with any high-priority attack.

The sweep is good, but only for out-poking people. Predictable sweeps get punished, HARD. Chun-Li and other Kens can super-combo your blocked sweeps.

As for Ken's super, you're using the right one. The easiest way to combo into it is from Ken's crouching medium kick, because that cancels right into it. I would watch a couple of Ken videos to see that, which should not be hard to find.

However, getting opponents into the corner is exactly what you want to do. You just gotta do it the right way.Again, videos are the best showcase of this. Watch Daigo matches. Hope that helped!

Nuonn

Smash Cadet
dude yea that was pretty ballaaaa

edit: dammit CNN you watched it right before I did and posted basically the same response. On a different note, I need me some mariokart :( it's been too long sonnn
I agree entirely, when we get back there needs to be much mariokarting.

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
Before I respond to this, please remember I'm not trying to be insulting.

First off, Ken's jumping jab is a terrible attack with only VERY situational use. If your opponent knows you're gonna do that, they should just be able to dragon punch you outta the air, or just hit you with any high-priority attack.

The sweep is good, but only for out-poking people. Predictable sweeps get punished, HARD. Chun-Li and other Kens can super-combo your blocked sweeps.

As for Ken's super, you're using the right one. The easiest way to combo into it is from Ken's crouching medium kick, because that cancels right into it. I would watch a couple of Ken videos to see that, which should not be hard to find.

However, getting opponents into the corner is exactly what you want to do. You just gotta do it the right way.Again, videos are the best showcase of this. Watch Daigo matches. Hope that helped!
Yeah i do get ***** hard against chun li and kens. I went to an arcade once and got my *** handed to me. It was a different street fighter but still <.> Thanks for the advice I'll try to use that combo less if not at all.

Top Bottom