• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario RPG

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I love this games as well. Funny I find this thread, since I just got the game(for free!)and played it again! Of course, the level limit of 30 was week(all of mine are on 30), but that is a small pick.
This needs a REAL sequel! Don't get me wrong, I love Paper Mario, but it isn't like this game. It needs a true sequel.

Plus, Super Paper Mario for Wii wasn't as good as the Thousand Year Door. I miss the turnbase RPG action.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still own and like playing Super Mario RPG. It has this sort of flavor that you can't quite get in the other Mario RPGs, and it's a tad longer than some of them.

Plus, it introduced plenty of creative original characters that don't seem to get much recognition(partly due to the Nintendo/Square split-up that occured in those days, but that's a thing of the past now).

Also, it was one of the first RPGs with a simpler interface, so that newbies could get into that genre a lot easier.

You know, all this talk about SMRPG makes me hopeful for it to come on Virtual Console here.
Who knows? Exposing this game to a new fanbase might a contributing factor to Geno's possible appearance in the next SSB... I'm eagerly waiting for that day!:joyful:

Kros

Smash Apprentice
I liked the game so much, I went and learned how to play the Forest Maze song on guitar when i was like 7-8.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
It's a shame the only Mario RPG as fun as Super Mario RPG after it is Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga. Paper Mario had is moments, fun writing and cool designs, but it just isn't that fun to play. The Thousand Year Door does more with being able to change into Paper Airplanes, Boats, etc. That's the major appeal.

A Select few > Super Mario RPG > Earthbound > Final Fantasy VI > Every other RPG ever made > Final Fantasy VII

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
I just downloaded Super Mario RPG on VC today ^_^ I haven't had the time to play it yet though :( hoping to play it soon.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

EUROPE VC!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

Long live Super Mario RPG! Long Live Geno! Long Live Mallow! Lets get a sequel, now!

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
:( Why can't we have Seven Stars... In America.

I can't figure out why everyone likes Geno so much. Don't get me wrong, I think he's one of the coolest characters in the Mario universe, and I've never even played the game. But I just can't figure out what it is about him that's created such a huge fanbase. He's just another character like anyone else... right?

Must be the broken Geno Whirl. :chuckle:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
:( Why can't we have Seven Stars... In America.
We do, it's called the Super Nintendo. Europe didn't have it available legally at such a large scale until now.

I can't figure out why everyone likes Geno so much. Don't get me wrong, I think he's one of the coolest characters in the Mario universe, and I've never even played the game.
Say no more, please. You make the rest of us fans look bad.

Which would you say is cooler, a character who fits his archetype perfectly, is one of the most useful characters in the game, basically unfolds and explains the entire story's plot, makes good use of pre-existing Mario mythos with new elements, starred in one of the greatest RPG's ever made (certainly a lot better than the snooze-fest known as FF VII), or ****ing Bowser Jr.?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
But I never I had an SNES... I want it to come out on Virtual Console here.

And, yeah. Geno's definitely cooler than Bowser, Jr. :laugh:

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Playing through this for the first time, I'm struck by just how incredibly awesome the writing is, and just how irritating the music is.

This is really funny though. A fun game, too.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Bumped. It's heeere(In the U.S.). Memories are coming back to me. I'm still in the beginning, but I remember it so well. Happy Labor day Everyone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I loved this game. Not gonna get it on the VC though. I remember it being pretty short, but still beyond amazing nonetheless.
Well, it's not that short. It's a smidge longer than the majority of the Mario RPGs, especially the Paper Mario series, which absolutely has to remind players how far they went in the game with their arbitrary "chapter" story structure.:rolleyes:

Anyway, it may be a bit shorter than most mainstream RPGs, but I think it has a decent length.:bigthumbu

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's Here???

Holy ****ing shiza muffins!

*Goes to buy it* ****! I already have around 20 VC games! How do I delete a couple to make room??

phish-it

Smash Champion
Oh man, even though I have this one the SNES and 2 working SNES' I'm considering getting this game for the virtual console because it is just that awesome.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Oh man, even though I have this one the SNES and 2 working SNES' I'm considering getting this game for the virtual console because it is just that awesome.
Same here, but not now..I bought The Legend of Zelda today and stand @ 0 Wii points. I have it for SNES though. And that same Zelda for NES.^_^

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm surpised my self, this is one of the game's I have to get on VC besides Kirby Dream Land 3. ^_^

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'm gonna lend my copy to a friend for the next weeks. He's been wanting to play it and heard so much about it, and wants it to live up to the hype (there is no way to hype the game), and I told him it's the greatest SNES RPG, bar none.

Here's to good luck :)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I have it for my SNES. Are there any differences between the SNES and Wii versions?

~rh

Smash Lord
I dunno. I haven't found any yet.

Playing this on my Wii brings back great memories... ;[

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
So in case you haven't heard:

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=16150

I played the game on an emulator, but the computer I had it on died, plus the game itself was buggy, so hopefully this time, it'll be WAY better!

Unfortunately the f***ing Internet on my Wii isn't working!

Anyway, Geno rocks, Booster has a crazy cool theme, and Forest Maze has some catchy music!

M.K

Level 55
I just downloaded it today, and this is my FIRST EVER playthough! I'm so excited!
I just caught Croco, but he KO'd both me and Mallow! I guess I shoulda killed a bit more of the enemies...the large crocodile enemies in Bandit's Way are WAY overpowered!!!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I just downloaded it today, and this is my FIRST EVER playthough! I'm so excited!
I just caught Croco, but he KO'd both me and Mallow! I guess I shoulda killed a bit more of the enemies...the large crocodile enemies in Bandit's Way are WAY overpowered!!!
Yea... um this game is ridiculously easy. You shouldn't be having problems at all lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yea... um this game is ridiculously easy. You shouldn't be having problems at all lol.
I didn't find the game easy, but it didn't feel hard either. The bosses at the last star were pretty difficult though.

I haven't played this game for several years. Good time to start another playthrough.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
You'll need to level up to about level 4 or so to be able to beat the crocodile bandit. Go grind a little, go back to town and buy the armor and jump ring and then you'll be set. It's weird, with the addition of a few levels and these items his damage goes from being about 18 to about 4 at a time.

After that point you shouldn't have a lot of trouble with the enemies.

I'm in the same boat, first playthrough right now. Battle music is annoying but otherwise this game rocks.

phish-it

Smash Champion
For those of you who claim the game to be difficult, learn the timed hits, and everything will change.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
this game might just motivate me to start using the virtual console service

i've neglected it for a long time...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For those of you who claim the game to be difficult, learn the timed hits, and everything will change.
Agreed. Though I will say, I had trouble with Croco too..****ed theif...grr...

And phish, your sig...is...amazing...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'm in Booster's tower now. I'm making good progress. Is there an incentive to try the Moleville mine cart mini game again?

Top Bottom