• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Stuff that ends in fair..... A Sheik Social Thread!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't know how you give out so much advice KK. So much of this game comes from simply watching videos, actually comprehending them, and most importantly learning from your own gameplay and mistakes. I always made the same mistakes and never learned from them, fair off the edge >_<, and that is the case I think with most players. Which I don't mind anymore, I love punishing them.
What do you mean by, "I don't know how you give out so much advice KK." ?

I just kind of do it.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Half of the questions you answer, you have already answered previously or the answer is on the first page of the Q&A and easily accessible.

You just have a higher tolerance for people than me.

and you must be very smash motivated today, haven't seen this many quality sheik posts in a while.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Kind of. I mean, you're right, I could defer people to those. But I come up with little tweaks or little variations a lot so this is my way of keeping people 'updated'. And it also serves a purpose for me because eventually I'm gonna have to gather a bunch of this and finally get cracking on that MU guide.

I've had a lot of smash motivation since APEX. Placing 5th was very bittersweet. It's an excellent placing, and I don't think many people expected me to get THAT far (if the APEX predictions thread is any indication) but simultaneously a lot of people were off as a result of the no warm up (seriously, we had like 5 mins before we played matches and they kicked us off setups which was dumb for a variety of reasons) and I choked in a hilarious, embarrassing fashion against HBox in LQFs. Not that there's anything wrong with losing to HBox, but like... I really feel like I could have put on a better show. And I didn't. Sucks.

So I'm itching for a chance to prove myself again. So I gotta keep the smash juices flowing.

edit:

Niko saying that "Sheik can't win a National" has also got me a lil' pumped. In the same way the Marths dislike it when I say their character is good, I don't appreciate them saying mine is bad. Sheik *****.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
KK you can do it, I have faith.

Plup is better than Duck, but you could definitely get comfortable in the matchup if you come out to MI for one of our tournaments. Once you get over the not knowing how to react to certain situations, it isn't so bad. I'm not quite there yet, but at the last smashfest I started to get a lot more comfortable.

and fair/bair are so damn good in the matchup it is absurd. Once you get the good fair spacing, you either get a hit --> grab, or hit-->DD grab (to avoid CC d-smash), or empty hop-->grab because they expect the fair. They are really damn good at keeping you off stage though, so hold the middle as long as possible, like any matchup. Really, all the games I lost I feel were because Duck got me off more and netted 40% or death from it.

EDIT: that is very obvious at the end. What I mean is, think of it like peach, if you go off the edge, she D-smashes you back off way too many times and you likely could have avoided the situation all together.

Armada

Smash Lord
Hopefully this will be the kick Amsah needs to start playing gayer. Definitely be best old school sheik, but m2k and KK have pushed sheik so much further.
Amsah was really rusty. No offense to him but I know Amsah are WAY better. I have been playing against pretty much every good player on this planet and I know Amsah are way smarter then most people.

I guess Amsah have played to little in the past (last time I saw him at a tournament was Pound V and if he has attend anything between Pound/Apex it was something small in Holland).

But yeah Amsahs style is not 100% perfect but I think him being rusty with tech skill and stuff did not allowed him to play the way he really can.

KK: Yeah don't listen to people that say Sheik can't win nationals. This people are just whiners and are trying to find excuses and not learn why they are loseing. Awesome job at Apex man and I really hope you will keep up with the good work =)

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Consistency and being well practiced are key. It was very apparent that Over and Amsah were not practiced at Pound V, after seeing them play in person at Pound 4.

I think Amsah's cap is very high, but his style in matchups he doesn't know best still needs work. Or maybe it doesn't, I just can't jump as often and be as successful as he is.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Amsah was really rusty. No offense to him but I know Amsah are WAY better. I have been playing against pretty much every good player on this planet and I know Amsah are way smarter then most people.

I guess Amsah have played to little in the past (last time I saw him at a tournament was Pound V and if he has attend anything between Pound/Apex it was something small in Holland).

But yeah Amsahs style is not 100% perfect but I think him being rusty with tech skill and stuff did not allowed him to play the way he really can.

KK: Yeah don't listen to people that say Sheik can't win nationals. This people are just whiners and are trying to find excuses and not learn why they are loseing. Awesome job at Apex man and I really hope you will keep up with the good work =)
I have no doubt Amsah is one of the smartest smashers out there, but compared to the stuff KK and M2K seem to hit, his style is very simplistic, so he doesn't seems to capitalise as much as he could off hits. It might be an issue that he has been the best in Holland for so long, he hasn't had to push his game in the same way as the North American sheiks to succeed. Either way, if he starts to imitate KK once he gets hits in (his spacing seems so wrong, but works so well), I think it would help him keep up with people like Hax, who seem to beat him off the strength of their punishes.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
My biggest criticism of Amsah (since P4) is that he is bad at using Sheik like she's a stupidly ridiculous character with a brutal punishment game.

His poking his good. His spacing is good. His combat-related stuff is all good. But Sheik should hit like a monster truck when she touches people and Amsah's driving a Prius.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Precisely. He let's people get away from him, confident in his spacing to allow him another opening and opportunity. Which works against most I feel, but against the best spacies and falcons, every grab or hit needs to net as much damage as possible as efficient as possible.

Vs falcon there is no reason he should not be dead after a grab. It is too easy to react and cover all his options. Ex. instead of regrabbing, he'd f-tilt and let hax out and I'd cry.

Amsah may be one of the best actually against everyone but fast fallers, and even the best against fast fallers OoS, but he just let's punishment opportunities go and Hax/PP take advantage of it. He definitely has a very intimate knowledge of her spacing game and most matchups.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's very difficult to say who's the best against what characters because M2K forfeited, I avoided Foxes, and Amsah played like crap.

The only exceptions are Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers. I'm clearly way better than them against Jigglypuff. And way worse versus Ice Climbers.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Agree completely. You have improved immensely since pound 4, while amsah it would seem has stayed relatively stagnant.

That statement was based off of his impressive win against Armada at Pound, given it was a long time ago. Clearly, you are best against puff. I can't wait for that set to be uploaded. Did you get any friendlies in with Armada KK?

Edit: m2k probably ***** lesser players, and low tiers harder than most. But, I have not seen you attempting to embarrass lesser players like m2k sometimes does ha. Surely, you are just as capable. lol

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Precisely. He let's people get away from him, confident in his spacing to allow him another opening and opportunity. Which works against most I feel, but against the best spacies and falcons, every grab or hit needs to net as much damage as possible as efficient as possible.

Vs falcon there is no reason he should not be dead after a grab. It is too easy to react and cover all his options. Ex. instead of regrabbing, he'd f-tilt and let hax out and I'd cry.

Amsah may be one of the best actually against everyone but fast fallers, and even the best against fast fallers OoS, but he just let's punishment opportunities go and Hax/PP take advantage of it. He definitely has a very intimate knowledge of her spacing game and most matchups.
No johns, but could it be that this is because of him being used to PAL Smash?

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Oh that is definitely a huge part of it. Amsah doesn't abuse sheik's d-throw hard enough, because you can't in PAL. In NTSC though, I have no hesitations being "gay" and abusing it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Oh that is definitely a huge part of it. Amsah doesn't abuse sheik's d-throw hard enough, because you can't in PAL. In NTSC though, I have no hesitations being "gay" and abusing it.
I never knew that down throw was being "gay"
the ****

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Down throw is about as gay as Fox's auto-combos, Rest, Falco as a whole, wobbling, Peach's punishment game, and Falcon's edgeguard on us.

So yeah it's pretty gay.

gm jack

Smash Lord
You can still abuse it a load in PAL, especially against fast fallers. It's the floatier characters where it makes a huge difference.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I never knew that down throw was being "gay"
the ****
It most definitely is. It spells certain doom for characters like Jiggs, Samus, Marth, and some others. If Samus is at, like, anything over 30% (probably lower, but just to be safe), a dthrow always combos into fair or uair, depending on DI. If you miss, it's your fault and you should work on your timing.

Top Bottom