• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Stuff that ends in fair..... A Sheik Social Thread!

DualCats

Smash Ace
Spacies take some getting used to. D: I had serious problems fighting Falco for the longest time. But- good luck in your efforts, sir. :3

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Amateur player here. I know some of the basics, but I'm still learning. And man is Fox a ***** to fight. Shine all day long ;_;
Fox is mostly how well you can keep pace with his combos through your grabs (DI away from almost all his stuff and DI in on his U-smashes unless doing so will kill you; your DI should emphasize not being hit offstage, because being forced to poof will kill you), and stuffing his approaches with a mix of f-tilt, u-tilt, bair, nair OOS, d-smash, d-tilt, grab, and fair. Not ordered by importance but those are your primary defenses. You'll notice that's a lot of moves but they're all very good and Sheik's pretty flexible defensively.

You're also going to need to either match his speed (difficult) or slow the game's pace down to a more manageable one (significantly easier, but can still be very difficult). There's no real answer to Fox because he has a good game vs Sheik. But Sheik still has a great game vs Fox too, it's just a lil' hard at first because tech chasing is hard at first, and her combos are kind of awkward on him as a result of his fall speed.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I'm starting to get better at tech chasing with dair.

I never really used it before I saw one of you mention it.

Also baiting out people with needles only to cancel them into dair is hilarious.

Another thing that annoyed the hell out of me the other day was when I released a full set of needles in Peaches face and she just naired all of them away.

I did not know that could happen.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Fox is mostly how well you can keep pace with his combos through your grabs (DI away from almost all his stuff and DI in on his U-smashes unless doing so will kill you; your DI should emphasize not being hit offstage, because being forced to poof will kill you), and stuffing his approaches with a mix of f-tilt, u-tilt, bair, nair OOS, d-smash, d-tilt, grab, and fair. Not ordered by importance but those are your primary defenses. You'll notice that's a lot of moves but they're all very good and Sheik's pretty flexible defensively.

You're also going to need to either match his speed (difficult) or slow the game's pace down to a more manageable one (significantly easier, but can still be very difficult). There's no real answer to Fox because he has a good game vs Sheik. But Sheik still has a great game vs Fox too, it's just a lil' hard at first because tech chasing is hard at first, and her combos are kind of awkward on him as a result of his fall speed.
I don't know how I forgot about oos options, especially coming from Brawl. So let's say he's pulling some Dair>Shine>Dair>Shine shenanigans - will Nair OOS interrupt that?

Also, this is kind of a noob question...but how do you DI in this game? I know, I'm helpless ;_;

gm jack

Smash Lord
I don't know how I forgot about oos options, especially coming from Brawl. So let's say he's pulling some Dair>Shine>Dair>Shine shenanigans - will Nair OOS interrupt that?

Also, this is kind of a noob question...but how do you DI in this game? I know, I'm helpless ;_;
1)Shield pressure always leaves gaps, but never consistently in the same place (if they mix it up). You can nair OoS before late aerials (just after the shine) or between the aerial and shine if they hit high on shield. Get consistent at getting the nair out as soon as possible and get used to looking for patterns to find your way out.

2)For DI, hold the direction you want to alter your trajectory in (to survive, up for horizontal attacks, across for vertical attacks) to send you to the top corners. In combos, hold away to try and get hit too far away from the opponent for them to continue hitting you. It only alters angle, not the speed you get hit at, so you want to hold 90 degrees to the angle you are getting hit at for maximum adjustment, as opposed to just holding the direction you want to go.

SDI occurs if you hit a direction during hitlag (the split second you pause when hit) and causes you to teleport a short distance.

ASDI is as above, but occurs if you held a direction before you were hit. Crouch cancelling abuses this to keep you on the ground.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
1)Shield pressure always leaves gaps, but never consistently in the same place (if they mix it up). You can nair OoS before late aerials (just after the shine) or between the aerial and shine if they hit high on shield. Get consistent at getting the nair out as soon as possible and get used to looking for patterns to find your way out.

2)For DI, hold the direction you want to alter your trajectory in (to survive, up for horizontal attacks, across for vertical attacks) to send you to the top corners. In combos, hold away to try and get hit too far away from the opponent for them to continue hitting you. It only alters angle, not the speed you get hit at, so you want to hold 90 degrees to the angle you are getting hit at for maximum adjustment, as opposed to just holding the direction you want to go.

SDI occurs if you hit a direction during hitlag (the split second you pause when hit) and causes you to teleport a short distance.

ASDI is as above, but occurs if you held a direction before you were hit. Crouch cancelling abuses this to keep you on the ground.
And all of the DI inputs are made using the control stick and not the C-stick?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
you can do that sh fair pressure easily, you just gotta read/react to their shield options :p

Zoler

Smash Ace
3 months ago since I switched to fox, loving him, seen huge amounts of improvement that it feels like I wouldn't have gotten with sheik.

Still kinda missing Sheik.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.

Pikaville

Question, are needle grabs 100% safe if the opponent didn't block the needles?

It seems like they are if you release them at the right time.

If they shield them I find the best option is to dtilt.(Unless it's Peach :( )

That's just me personally though.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey, is there an easy way to reverse needle in midair that I'm not aware of? Often when I try to do it I just end up reverse Chaining and get punished during the 2 million frames of uselessness

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
(facing right) left [neutral] B R

Pressing a direction and immediately going to neutral is a skill that will help you across the board with every character.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Thanks. I also have another, more specific question. I've figured out how to chain throw on Marth to an extent, but whenever I watch videos of the matchup being played at a high level I don't see it being used. Is there a reason for this? And should I start training myself to go for tilt/aerial followups instead?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If they DI away, you can regrab. If they stay next to you (either no DI or behind DI) you can't grab and must tilt or usmash.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
If they DI away, you can regrab. If they stay next to you (either no DI or behind DI) you can't grab and must tilt or usmash.
Got it. I also noticed that it looked like M2K often DIs too far away for Sheik to get a followup aerial after Dthrow > Ftlit. Is this something I should count on happening often?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah dthrow->ftilt can be DIed out of fairly easily. Sometimes you can still get a dash attack. Around mid-ish precents you can ftilt and followup regardless, but not below say 50% (character dependent, ofc)

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm disappointed in my Sheik today. I did well at a big tournament today, better than I've ever done before, but I had to rely on Fox. My Fox is probably better than my Sheik, but I've always preferred Sheik because she's my favorite. But my Sheik was terrible today. I got 3 stocked twice in pools by a Falco, only to beat him later in tournament with Fox. I lost a match to a Marth, only to turn around and three stock him with Fox. In literally every matchup my Fox did way better than my Sheik did. The only thing Sheik really did was get me out of pools, but I could've done that with Fox and gotten first seed instead of second. I really like Sheik, but I just don't see myself improving like I am with Fox, even though I play my Sheik way more than I do my Fox. I just don't get why I'm not getting better, and I don't want to drop Sheik for Fox.

Pikaville

That's not necessarily a bad thing man.

I mean you can use your Fox for all the tougher matchups.

Then use Sheik against the others for easier wins.

I can pretty much only use Sheik, I use Marth, Puff and Falco on occasion.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm disappointed in my Sheik today. I did well at a big tournament today, better than I've ever done before, but I had to rely on Fox. My Fox is probably better than my Sheik, but I've always preferred Sheik because she's my favorite. But my Sheik was terrible today. I got 3 stocked twice in pools by a Falco, only to beat him later in tournament with Fox. I lost a match to a Marth, only to turn around and three stock him with Fox. In literally every matchup my Fox did way better than my Sheik did. The only thing Sheik really did was get me out of pools, but I could've done that with Fox and gotten first seed instead of second. I really like Sheik, but I just don't see myself improving like I am with Fox, even though I play my Sheik way more than I do my Fox. I just don't get why I'm not getting better, and I don't want to drop Sheik for Fox.
Fox's style works better for a lot of people. I find that most Sheiks are bad vs Marth and don't abuse him for being... slow. And comparatively laggy. And having a mediocre approach vs her. And her beastmode combo game on him. But... yeah.

Some general replies to general comments / questions of the last page or two:

Marth combo formula (roughly)

0-30 regrab on DI away
>30 dash attack on DI away
>60 fair on DI away or you can try to get an f-tilt > fair if you want

0-20 (or so) up tilt on everything else
>20 uair on everything else
~70 tip u-smash on everything else (for the KO) (not on DL64) (not sure when it stops working but somewhere in the low 100s)
>110 strong uair on everything else for KO (1-3 grab attacks may be required, idk exact percents)

You can do more and platforms add another dimension to the art of screwing him over but that's just what's easy.

NTSC Sheik dittos are just gay death grabs or ghetto death grabs.

If you're not CGing I don't even bother f-tilting DI away now because I have more success with the tech chase (but f-tilt is alright). At 25-30 you can dash attack, and then follow accordingly. If they don't DI the dash attack (which happens more often than you think; it does weird reverse hitbox stuff sometimes) then just up tilt and spam uair (otherwise you can probably f-tilt or d-tilt or something). Bair underneath them to kill them after uair(s) if you get greedy and miss the chance to uair > fair or if they just have really good DI or something.

If they DI anywhere else after the initial d-throw, u-tilt > regrab / uair / more u-tilt (if at super low percent) and then eventually hit them off the level and kill her. At like 75 you can d-throw tipped u-smash and KO off the roof. Edgeguard poof lag with a dair combo or grab combo. I like the grab combo because it's by an large immune to DI. Try to face offstage if you can so they can't ever get out. Dair on FD can kill at like 65 or something depending on DI if you link it to u-smash. Be good at ledgehop bair / nair so you can hit them out of the poof's non-invulnerable start if they're close.

Nair OOS beats drillshines. Do it after the shine (I think). Fox's dair isn't like nair / bair / whatever pressure in that it multi-hits. So the gaps are (almost) always in the same place(s). Roughly speaking, anyway. Nair OOS vs other stuff depends on if they're gonna do early or late aerials.

Pikaville

Marth is my best matchup I reckon, close with Peach.

Since the 2 guys I play the most use them.

But I have played Dave's Marth to death.

You can slow down Marth's fsmash with needles too I believe.

It takes longer to finish because it has to hit through needle hitboxes.

Or at least it seems that way.

I'm a Sheik main in brawl, and since the brawl scene is my state isn't very active I've decided to start getting into melee, maining Sheik of course, but I don't really know anything about Melee, except that it was the game before brawl (lol). Are there any super important tech skills that I'll have to learn in order to play her?

Forgive me if this type of thing should be asked in the Q&A thread, but since I was also using this as an introductory post I felt it would be better suited to the social.

Top Bottom