• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Stuff that ends in fair..... A Sheik Social Thread!

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
what does sheik do at low percents to avoid nairs from floaties off dthrow? I just shield..but i don't play sheik so i didn't know what to tell my brother. is ftilt supposed to be fast enough to beat out mario/samus/peach's nair?

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
I know its not the ideal thread, but seeing how this has been kinda quiet in the last couple weeks, (as in a month ago), I thought I would do some unadulterated bumping. What are your guys thoughts on Sheik in the next smash bros? Personally, I want actually Sheik players opinions, not some new*** brawl and hype people. Do you think they will replace her with Impa from SS or stick with sheik?

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I know its not the ideal thread, but seeing how this has been kinda quiet in the last couple weeks, (as in a month ago), I thought I would do some unadulterated bumping. What are your guys thoughts on Sheik in the next smash bros? Personally, I want actually Sheik players opinions, not some new*** brawl and hype people. Do you think they will replace her with Impa from SS or stick with sheik?
It's too early to even talk about the next game, frankly I think they made a forum for it so early so they would get more internet traffic.

Pretty sad Smashboards....

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Theres nothing really wrong with giving people a place to talk about the new game lmao.

It was getting a lot of traffic already in the general brawl threads, I kinda agree with separating it actually

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
what does sheik do at low percents to avoid nairs from floaties off dthrow? I just shield..but i don't play sheik so i didn't know what to tell my brother. is ftilt supposed to be fast enough to beat out mario/samus/peach's nair?
Peach* - d-throw > u-tilt from 0-15%, uair after that IIRC > dash dance / shield

Samus - d-throw > f-tilt below 20%, uair after 20% > shield / spaced bair / wait away from her

Luigi - see Samus, only add "dash dance grab" after the launch moves

In a very general sense, f-tilt vs stuff like nair (on a Mario) is alright but you can probably find something better unless they've lost their jump (in which case it becomes broken god tier garbage). Dash dance grabbing a nair's landing lag typically leads to more punishment than f-tilt (in a general sense). F-tilt will sometimes be appropriate but since you're comboing them you might as well go for total and complete gayness (this is the part of the match where you have like 10+ options and they have like 3). Fair is also often good because you can make it combo into stuff (like f-tilt, dash attack, etc).

I dunno. Combos are easy. Just pay attention to percents. D-tilting under Peach's nair is futile if she's not at the percent to be comboed after.

*Peach - You can CG the DI away at low percents. After about 20-30 though you have to do an improv combo. Consider any of SHFFL nair, FJ rising fair, illegitimate dash attack, or f-tilt. If she's sideways, I suggest fair or bair for beating her nair (or f-tilt & d-tilt, since d-tilt sneaks under a lot). If she's mostly above you, I suggest shield, some kind of up move, or dash dance whatever. Fair and bair can also be good. I'm also not 100% on the percent to start going for uair but 15-20% sounds about right. You can also f-tilt to fair because if she doesn't DI away from the throw, DIing away from the f-tilt doesn't put her far enough away from you for her to avoid follows.

Also, FJ rising fair > falling fair / needle is aight vs floaties at low percents but it's not legit at all. It just randomly works sometimes because Sheik is OP.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
thanks a lot for the advice, i will be sure to teach my brother these things when i get back to america. that said my vs sheik is already 4 times better...picking up an IC secondary was the best decision i ever made in this game..

but i want my brother to learn the game and team with me so i've got to get him up to speed..and i think personally that players do best in tourney if they have a lot of experience in their worst matchup..that or the two most common matchups (fox/falco)

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
how do you play this game? its too hard to get back in the groove (not that i was ever in it)

teach me kk... give me the answers!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Jump too much in general or just on FD?
Just on FD. On other levels you seemed to handle his lasers a lot better but on FD you kind of threw away your footise & shield game and kind of herp derp FJ needled around.

Like, FJ needles are okay; sometimes it even worked. But overall you lost a lot of exchanges with it and it's partially because you're doing it as your main thing (which made you predictable) and you also did it at inappropriate time (he was already too close, or you could see he was waiting for you to do it so he could run under you safely). You can do more from FJ than needles, and your footise & shield game still work on FD.

Why is Sheik so sexy
Because we have a tipped u-smash that actually does something (unlike Marth's). And because people try to lame us out so much that certain forms of disrespect actually wind up working really well.

how do you play this game? its too hard to get back in the groove (not that i was ever in it)

teach me kk... give me the answers!
I dunno if you're talking about your recent tournament but to me it just looked like you were dropping punishes a lot. I dunno how you tech chase, but I find my tech chasing consistency is best when I only do it on reaction like 3-4 times or so and then convert it into a combo where I can just watch their DI and go from there. If you're not confident in your reaction time though, just space outside of their shine range whenever you chase with regrabs. It honestly makes a huge difference.

Aside from that I think you'd benefit from just figuring out how to land heavier hits more often (uair, u-smash [at low percents], dair, etc) so you don't have to work so much to kill people. I always get excited when I do do my combos with mostly aerials 'cuz it honestly just feels like less work (each move does so much more damage and the higher KB on some of them makes it harder for them to get nonsense edgecancels and stuff so it feels simpler).

But yeah, on the whole it just looks like you're just kind of rusty overall. Messed up some goofy spots at the edge and so forth. I can tell you what I'd do differently if you want but I think you kind of already know how to play the character for the most part.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Damnit KK you almost had Mango.

Ice Climbers are super fun.... you looked pissed as heck.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I sstill need to watch your matches. I watched the last 4 in the stream and the first 10 or so matches of the stream. I was planning to search out your videos, but can you tell me whom you got recorded playing against?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
nice. I only watch matches with peach, marth, or finals normally but I have a sheik i'm training so we watch together.

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
Im sure kirby kaze will answer this one but im not one to jump drastically to conclusions. marth vs. sheik principals please :). Ive beaten many sheiks, thats my best match up but ready for some knowledge straight from the boards. just anything to dictate approach, actions, edgeguarding etc... the important things a marth should know. thank you

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really wasn't that angry. It's one of my game faces. Similar to my game face vs Dr. Peepee circa ROM3.
I meant after the match.

I was sure that you had after you took game one fairly easily. Also, I was really confused by the fox play. I know that your fox is good, but were you just that more confident in it than your sheik. If I was there I woulda suggested you try out peach because I know Fly has less experience in that MU, at least from the last time I played him.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I just shouldn't have lost confidence in my main. Simple as that. Sheik's almost never let me down in those tough moments and I just abandoned my plan utterly.

*shrug*

I don't have a good reason or anything. Fly is good. I'm good. He beat me this time. I don't like losing as a general rule.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Again, don't have a good reason for switching. I had some bad superficial ones, but I don't wanna talk about them because they're stupid.

Suffice to say I probably won't do that again.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Do you have plans to use Peach in that MU ever or gonna stick it through with Sheik

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I agree, you should just stick with Sheik in all MUs. Overcome bad MUs!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm probably going to try to stick it out with Sheik unless it's like R1 pools vs Hammertime or something and I don't feel like putting the effort in.

I'm a lazy, lazy man (against people way worse than me, anyway).

Top Bottom