• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Cause 3rd place at the biggest tournament ever isn't good? Damn you guys have high expectations. Congrats again, hbox!

EDIT: Also, how do you practice l - canceling dairs? I always miss the l cancel
pretend you are having a seizure, thats how hbox does it lol

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
pretend you are having a seizure, thats how hbox does it lol
hahaha

it doesn't matter about playstyle

he plays YL so people will cheer for him

literally no matter what

even if he edge stalled for 8 min
pretty true. im sorry the community is so gay to you/puffs in general

also I suppose this is the place to say that it was nice to meet you and play some games, Idea.

idea

Smash Master
you too. fun falco dittos. maybe one day my falco will be good enough that i can counterpick it against campy foxes.

then i can be like HAHA *****, APPROACH ME OR EAT LASERS

Mahone

Smash Champion
you too. fun falco dittos. maybe one day my falco will be good enough that i can counterpick it against campy foxes.

then i can be like HAHA *****, APPROACH ME OR EAT LASERS
thats actually what im working on now... i don't know how hbox does it, but i don't think ill ever be good enough to beat camping foxes with puff

Beat!

Smash Master
Weren't everyone *****ing about Marth and how chain grabbing is "gay" a few years ago, when Marths metagame was peaking?

My point is, people will (hopefully) stop complaining about Puff being "gay" eventually. Just be a little patient.

idea

Smash Master
yeah but puff is like, way gayer than marth :laugh:

i mean, fox and falco and marth and sheik are all gay in their own ways...it's just that with jiggs it's so...obvious.

Massive

Smash Champion
Weren't everyone *****ing about Marth and how chain grabbing is "gay" a few years ago, when Marths metagame was peaking?

My point is, people will (hopefully) stop complaining about Puff being "gay" eventually. Just be a little patient.
I dunno, Marth's still pretty gay. I think it's the hairband.

I think Jigglypuff will probably always be considered gay though. After all, his most prestigious move is only effective when he's inside of someone.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Need help guys. What do you do vs DK? I find myself scared of approaching because of bair/up b oos.

I have some ideas, but would like some more input. Videos to follow.

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think of Young Link (serious question)? I have trouble with him, but sleep soundly on the thought that nobody plays him. What would you do against him? It feels like a pretty hard matchup...

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
Need help guys. What do you do vs DK? I find myself scared of approaching because of bair/up b oos.

I have some ideas, but would like some more input. Videos to follow.

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think of Young Link (serious question)? I have trouble with him, but sleep soundly on the thought that nobody plays him. What would you do against him? It feels like a pretty hard matchup...
just spam back airs on DK and be fearless. Try mix in a few upairs when his shield is low or when hes gunan jump OoS and if landed u got a guarantee rest ... you only really gotta worry about the upB OoS when ur close to killing range (90% plus) ... Puff kills DK in this matchup by like 70-30 IMO

also YL is a bad matchup for puff ... bombs and boomeranges are a ***** to get around, but once your inside of him, DONT *** UP AND DO SOME HARDCORE DAMAGE... you gotta learn to edgeguard on your own, too tuff to xplain

idea

Smash Master
against dk? i dunnoooo...i would try extra hard to get behind his shield and uptilt. dk's shield sucks, and he's just as weak to rest as everyone else.

and i would make sure not to get above him. and...i would bait his bair and punish it with mine.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Seems like with YL you gotta stay right on top of him. Armada only really tried to get away at close range unless he had a bomb. Didn't seem like he ever went for a random dair.

Does YL punish missed rests well? I mean above 70% it seems obvious for the bomb to dair, but under that???

As far as DK, I like utilt rests. It is easy to get around behind him and grab too.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Seems like with YL you gotta stay right on top of him. Armada only really tried to get away at close range unless he had a bomb. Didn't seem like he ever went for a random dair.

Does YL punish missed rests well? I mean above 70% it seems obvious for the bomb to dair, but under that???
yes.

no.

blizzardbeam

Smash Cadet
What is a good way to edge guard fox? Like if he's above me or at level off stage, should I go out and try to bair/fair him, throw out a nair stage level and hope he illusions or what? I find that i'm letting fox back on stage too often. And also, when I get shined on the ground it always seems to lead to tech chase-> up throw up air. How to I avoid that? Thanks guys.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Stage/ledge level fair gets him if he tries to do fast illusion or jump back. If he jumps back and firefox you can still get him.

I end up missing jump back illusion and let himself fall down -> firefox a lot though.

If you find yourself with problems being roll chased, just wait a little bit and think of your options before you roll. Standing up normally is better than you might think. Just try not to be predictable.

Mahone

Smash Champion
What is a good way to edge guard fox? Like if he's above me or at level off stage, should I go out and try to bair/fair him, throw out a nair stage level and hope he illusions or what? I find that i'm letting fox back on stage too often. And also, when I get shined on the ground it always seems to lead to tech chase-> up throw up air. How to I avoid that? Thanks guys.
A lot of times you can cover the side b option and still have enough time to cover the up b option, so you wanna mabye nair when you predict the side b and then sort of fall with the fox and then follow up with fairs to perform the JIGGLYPUFF DRAGDOWN, as hbox likes to say.

It's kinda hard to answer how to edgeguard because it really depends on the situation and what the fox player you are playing tends to do. If you could be a little more clear on how far he is from you/how you got him off stage (e.g. backthrow at the ledge), then mabye i can give more specific answers

With the shine, are you teching the shine? If not, then ya its gonna be really hard to avoid the techchase grab because your rolls suck. It will come down to a mixup of getup attack and getup in place, since fox can reactively follow the rolls.

If you are teching... then what i do is techroll away and buffer a roll away or a spotdodge or i just jump after the tech finishes, it all depends on how close fox is to you.

Somebody should make a new Jigglypuff guide.
I was thinking of doing that but i figured since im not mango no one would read it.... should i do it anyways? The matchups at the beginning of this are pretty outdated/********.... bowser wins lol.

Greatest set in history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ty_DTUxUrw

This match was sooooo fun to watch back on rofl, esp match 2 :)
Need to step up ma jiggles game.
Damn fuzzyness ***** man, i thought you were moving pretty well game one, but game two he just went beserk.

idea

Smash Master
meh, i would but i'm lazy...so in other words, i wouldn't <_< but i could type stuff up if someone else feels like organizing things.

also wow, that was crazy

Mahone

Smash Champion
meh, i would but i'm lazy...so in other words, i wouldn't <_< but i could type stuff up if someone else feels like organizing things.

also wow, that was crazy
we could do like the falco boards and have my and your opinion on matchups in diff colors.

Do you want to?

blizzardbeam

Smash Cadet
A lot of times you can cover the side b option and still have enough time to cover the up b option, so you wanna mabye nair when you predict the side b and then sort of fall with the fox and then follow up with fairs to perform the JIGGLYPUFF DRAGDOWN, as hbox likes to say.

It's kinda hard to answer how to edgeguard because it really depends on the situation and what the fox player you are playing tends to do. If you could be a little more clear on how far he is from you/how you got him off stage (e.g. backthrow at the ledge), then mabye i can give more specific answers

With the shine, are you teching the shine? If not, then ya its gonna be really hard to avoid the techchase grab because your rolls suck. It will come down to a mixup of getup attack and getup in place, since fox can reactively follow the rolls.

If you are teching... then what i do is techroll away and buffer a roll away or a spotdodge or i just jump after the tech finishes, it all depends on how close fox is to you.
Ahh, thanks that makes sense. But what if the fox is above the stage? Is it just a guessing game then if he'll recover high or aim or the ledge?

idea

Smash Master
we could do like the falco boards and have my and your opinion on matchups in diff colors.

Do you want to?
ehh, sure. i don't mind giving my opinions on stuff, i'm just kind of lazy =P but if it's already put up somewhere i can gradually add my thoughts. maybe the better puff mains would too...

Ahh, thanks that makes sense. But what if the fox is above the stage? Is it just a guessing game then if he'll recover high or aim or the ledge?
kinda. but the angle tends to suggest one option over the other. and/or the person's overall playstyle.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Ya, thats the kind of situation where you have to pay attention to the opponents habits. I would say that most players like to phantasm high or fall to the ledge height and then phantasm, but good players will mix up all sorts of different recoveries.

Massive

Smash Champion
If fox recovers high with illusion, charge an fsmash in the direction you think he will land.
If fox recovers high with firefox, nair the ledge or grab it yourself and force him onto the stage.

Puffinator

Smash Ace
Ya, thats the kind of situation where you have to pay attention to the opponents habits. I would say that most players like to phantasm high or fall to the ledge height and then phantasm, but good players will mix up all sorts of different recoveries.
Mahone+Idea+Hungrybox should do it

idea

Smash Master
and darc.

except darc and hungrybox might be even lazier than me. who knows.

also i don't really agree with either of those, massive...i mean, the second one can be good, but it's bad if they can get to a platform. then they'll just...do that. unless you're trying to predict that they'll go to the edge, and edgehog them. i guess when you wrote that you were imagining fox being kind of far away, but the hard(er) part is edgeguarding him when he's close anyway.

a lot of the time jiggs just isn't fast enough to cover all of fox's recovery options, so you have to make educated guesses. with falco it's easier cause you don't really need to worry about firebird...for him to recover with firebird he needs to be pretty close to the stage, and if he's pretty close to the stage then he's pretty close to you. cover the illusion and you'll have enough time to also cover firebird 90% of the time.

and charge fsmash just seems unnecessary unless you're really sure. i mean, if you miss you could get upsmashed and die for it, and bair/backthrow will be almost as good once you get into percentages where fsmash would have killed.

fsmashing them to the other side of the stage isn't smart either unless they're at like 150%...in which case you still could have used bair or backthrow.

edit: oh, you meant jump off and nair while floating back onstage, didn't you...that's pretty good. better than grabbing the ledge if you expect them to go onstage.

Massive

Smash Champion
edit: oh, you meant jump off and nair while floating back onstage, didn't you...that's pretty good. better than grabbing the ledge if you expect them to go onstage.
Yarp.
My reflexes aren't always fast enough for bairs and firefox/bird tends to trade hits with fair, so nair is my go-to for ledge-guards.

As for the ledgehogging, I probably do that too much anyway. The ledge is jigglypuff's natural habitat after all.

Massive

Smash Champion
ehh, it doesn't have to...try to hit the top half of their body with the tip of your feet. if they're already moving then you can move back while fairing like you would with nair.
Alrighty, I'll add that to my to do list for SMYM.

Mahone

Smash Champion
If fox recovers high with illusion, charge an fsmash in the direction you think he will land.
If fox recovers high with firefox, nair the ledge or grab it yourself and force him onto the stage.
For the first one, it would be better to rest it to ensure the kill as long as you are not at kill percent.

The second one only works if he goes for the ledge. If he goes anywhere else, the firefox does not have enough lag for you to punish it.

Beanman

Smash Cadet
Low-tier johns irritate me. Even if you're playing pichu or yoshi, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. Don't try to demean my win, which I earned through practice and work, by saying that it was due to your choice to play a character which tends to have a disadvantage over a majority of higher tiered characters. Also, someone also pointed out to me that I tend to be agressive when I am leading. Gonna change that at the tournament. I usually play against peach, samus, and shiek, so camping tends to be difficult. Uberice, dashizwiz, and col bol will be there, so maybe my mediocre jigz will get some recording time and you guys can point some things out to me that I can improve.

Any ideas on how to not get wobbled?

Mahone

Smash Champion
Whenever anyone im playing with picks a low teir, and then sees that im not switching from puff and glares at me, i go falcon and hit start, cuz based on how falcon mains talk, hes as bad as a low tier.

For the wobbling, just stay in the air.

I know that sounds like some bs advice like don't get hit, but this is actually one matchup where you can stay in the air the whole ****ing time. Just stay horizontal and space bairs and pounds and ****.

When wobbling isn't legal, i like to go for nair rests, but it's not worth it when wobbling is legal.

You're still gonna get grabbed though, its gonna happen, but below 30 percent you can mash out, so make sure you do that.

Also, no joke, when you are getting wobbled, just start saying 1...2...1....2 in rythem with how the player is hitting a, then after a while say 12 quickly or something else to try to throw off their timing.... i know its stupid but u have nothing else to do lol

What do you do against falco's down throw
You have to tech it otherwise you get fsmashed or dtilted, just always techroll away at first, cuz if you tech in place you might get hit with whatever they were going for anyway, and falcos usually predict roll behind. Obviously if the falco starts hard predicting roll away then mix it up, but ive never been punished for techroll away and then moving right away, cuz i think the timing is really tight for falco, idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom