• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Yeah, I encountered the same thing with Sheik and it's only now that I'm really working hard to cut back on my unnecessary moves. They're a great form of baiting, something that low range characters kind of miss out on. But I too have the roadblock of doing things when I don't have to. I lag myself up a crapload.

Regarding my opinion of the Puff community... that's just an exaggeration. For comedic effect. I don't actually think you guys are ******** or anything. I do think this issue has taken far too long to address, though.

And, yeah, bad habits are like pulling weeds. You think you've cleared your lawn and everything's crisp and clean. Then, as soon as you wake up the next day, they're back... often in greater numbers lolol.

Mahone

Smash Champion
ULTIMATE DOUBLE POST

Mahone:

Nair through turnip --> stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyH3PMRBP_c&feature=related#t=29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyH3PMRBP_c&feature=related#t=1m1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyH3PMRBP_c&feature=related#t=2m58s

If you just watch their sets from APEX, you'll see it a ton

It's really good

Wow, thanks a lot for that, i really didn't visualize it working that well, i need to go back and watch all of those matches again, but i really appreciate you going through them and linking the time, next time i won't be so lazy, and i'll watch them first before asking.

Something else I noticed is that you're really obvious when you're gonna go for grabs. But you do such typical Jigglypuff things (FJ Bair, falling Uair into the shield) that it's really easy for you to just not do the Uair and land > grab if you wanted to hit him.

Ugh, you make me feel so stupid lol. The whole time i was playing him i was thinking "ok, i got him to shield, now i need to take advantage", then everytime i tried to grab he would know, and at the time i was like "wow, hes reading me so well", but now that i watch the matches, i was SOO obvious. I was like just walking up to him expecting him to shield... not realizing that he was shield because i was doing something like falling upair, so i needed to grab in situations like that, rather than just doing nothing to grab... if only i could think clearly during the match... hopefully when i have less things to think about matchup wise, i'll be able to concentrate on that stuff more.

You seem fairly hesitant to capitalize on some of your openings. Possibly out of fear / nervousness. If Peach whiffs a D-smash right in front of you after you've landed, that's a free move. Maybe a Rest. Here's an example of what I mean from your match.

Ya, i have a bad habit of reflexively wavedashing back, because i just wanna be safe and keep bair spacing all day, but even in other matches, i have recently noticed that i don't react enough to situations like that, iv'e kinda already planned on wavedashing back and don't think about why... so much to work on :(

Small stylistic thing... I think it's better to throw Peach off the level if it's an available option than it is to throw her above you. This applies to most characters.

Ya, i probably just messed up the throw, since i have always liked off the stage more than upthrow, even though the great MANGO upthrows, i feel like the positionally advantage is greater when they are thrown horizontally, since i think this is where jiggs is best in the matchup. I feel like in this matchup, unlike others, you want to be horizontal more than under her, since bair is so good, but i'd like to know your thoughts. And just to clarify, i think being under her can be good, but unless its at high percent its usually only gonna be an upair that you can hit with, where you have to bait the dair or space, whereas horizontally you can get multiple bairs relatively easily.

This is sort of what I mean by "You do your Bairs too close to them, while moving into them." You were at advantage here, since he was put offstage, but you did the Bair so close that he was able to stuff it with his Nair before your hitbox could protect you (and probably kill him / lead to an offstage combo). This is a situation where being aware of your other options is really good. Actually, this is where a shield grab, Nair, F-smash, or whatever would have been really good. Or do the Bair earlier, or retreat with it. Either way, at this proximity, even at advantage, Bairing towards them can be risky.

Wow, i didn't even catch that but your totally right. Also, on top of what you said, he was mixing up nair and airdodge in that position, so if i had just shield grabed or wd back fsmashed, it would have covered both, i don't know why i thought bair was better, again it was most likely my spammy mentality.

This is going to sound awkward, but you have to do more effective mixups. Your current style seems a lot of aerials and U-tilts for your main form of pressure. When you go for grabs, you're usually starting them from a dash or roll or whatever to get yourself close to them. The troublesome part of your aerial game is that it's all countered by the same option. You tend to double or single aerial (double if FJ, single if SH) and then you go into U-tilts on landing (sometimes you cross up). The issue is that them blocking beats this and after the U-tilt they can WD away or whatever. Mix in grabs more. For instance: forgo the second aerial in your FJ and then land, autocancel, grab. It's really annoying and will encourage them to find alternative methods out of shield to beat it. Other forms of really good pressure you should play with involve movement and space abuse... just jump around their shield, or land in front of their shield at a safe distance, or crouch in front of their shield at a safe distance. See what their defensive tendencies are from there, and punish. The more things you make them have to do when they block, the more chances you have to get silly Rests, or combos. By integrating grabs, waiting, and empty jump feints, you force them to revise their defensive choices constantly and that places a lot of pressure on them. Which is great for you, because you have a game-shifting, momentum-crushing OHKO move. And the more defensive things (like roll, sidestep, jump) they have to do, the more chances you have to land moves that lead into it, or the move itself.

Wow... just wow, i feel like you just summed up how to play jigglypuff in this paragraph. I hate that this all makes so much sense, and that i'm capable to tell others this same information, but i can't implement it in practice. It's so hard to practice these things against good players, because whenever i try to incorporate empty hops and new stuff, i feel like its so obvious that i get ***** and then get scared to try it, and since i don't usually get much time to practice, i tend to stick with what i know. But I'm gonnna start to try to do all of this stuff, even if it means i get *****, and i'm gonna record a lot more and upload, so hopefully you can see my progress and help me along the way... i promise if you do ill like mm 20 times at pound five or something... so i'll basically give you 20 bucks lol.

Also, from rewatching, I noticed you try to force kills a lot with F-smash. Don't. Trying to force kills with any character vs a quality character is a good way to lag yourself up and give them free moves and either lessen a gap, take the lead, or increase their lead. Patience. Sometimes the risk is worth it, particularly if you'll win the game or make up a ton of ground from it. But you really go for it way too much and he punishes you for it.

I agree, i get impatient and just throw them out hoping, but that's not gonna make me better so i need to stop doing it.

edit: I also noticed you get punished for landing Bairs a lot. This will not do. You have to space these much more safely. Jigglypuff without using her aerial mobility to keep herself out of peoples' CC range and whatnot is remarkably punishable. But with her aerial mobility abuse, hits become super safe and that's one of her biggest strengths. Protecting yourself from CC and similar defensive shenanigans are a big part of extending Jigglypuff's stock.

I'm glad you brought this up. I understand what you are saying, but the reason for all (or most) of my misspaced bairs is that i am trying to combo into more bairs. I always see hbox do bair->bair->bair combos, and i feel like if you do the safe spacing bair you don't have time to catch their di with another bair... so my question is how does he know?? Is he just sure the bair is going to connect, or is he maintaining a perfect spacing where he can weave out or move in... i just don't understand how he does it.

Thank you so much KK, you **** and you're my new favorite player lol... i hope you
win pound 5 :) but if not, we should at least play some games there.

edit: to be honest, i think besides like 5 puff players, the community is pretty ******** lol, i wasn't actually upset or anything, i just thought i'd let you know

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Bair combos are sort of percent based and DI based. You can cheat them by outprioritizing their counter (Peach it's Nair) but that requires some tricky spacing and control over Puff. Which is certainly doable, but that's how they work when they're not a true combo.

Watch Armada vs. Mango or Hungrybox and pay attention to the percents, spacing, and conditions present when they get their Bair chains. It'll give you a good feel for how they work at the various percents. Then experiment on your own...

For implementing... everyone's different. You know how you learn probably much better than I do.

If by some miracle I do win we should play anyway lolol

Mahone

Smash Champion
Bair combos are sort of percent based and DI based. You can cheat them by outprioritizing their counter (Peach it's Nair) but that requires some tricky spacing and control over Puff. Which is certainly doable, but that's how they work when they're not a true combo.

Watch Armada vs. Mango or Hungrybox and pay attention to the percents, spacing, and conditions present when they get their Bair chains. It'll give you a good feel for how they work at the various percents. Then experiment on your own...

For implementing... everyone's different. You know how you learn probably much better than I do.
I wasn't really talking about how they combo, i meant how does he know whether to commit hard to the first bair. I feel like when i commit and am wrong, i end up in front of them, like the clip you pointed out, but i rarely see hbox in this situation (or perhaps he buffers a roll and i am just remembering wrong).

Actually, this question is kinda stupid, i can just go back and watch and figure it out on my own, i'm just being lazy...

idea

Smash Master
yeah he's good at that when he wants to be. sometimes i wish i lived in california and everyone would just run into my moves and fail to DI out of combos.

hungrybox is pretty non-committal too. knowing when it's good to commit to things is very personal and situational. i can't really say more than that you have to feel it out. that calculation occurs in a part of my brain i can't consciously access.

Mahone said:
The reason i was confused was because you said that you do a late aerial or empty hop -> land behind them uptilt, but i feel like if you are close enough to land behind them, they could nair oos.
they could do a million things, but they won't because MINDGAMES. if you do bair, bair, bair, fair, bair, then jump again, they're going to wait for the next aerial, and by the time they realize you're not going to do that again you're already behind them. it's hard to react to something like that. they just don't know what's going on so their instinct is to wait in shield.

instead of uptilt you could also grab here. if you have to turn around to grab it might be too slow. up to you.

if they roll to get away from you, they're still in lag, and you can probably jump after them and hit them in time.

(oh, and you don't really want to do a late aerial if you're trying to land behind them...something hitting their shield tells them it's okay to move now)

Mahone said:
The only thing i don't understand is how does peach punish late aerials if she can't aerial, the way you talk about it makes it sound like late bairs on her shield are unpunishable, but there has to be something they can do right?
it's basically unpunishable unless you misspace the bair. you just don't get much out of it.

just imagine it from the peach side. jigglypuff floats toward you, floats away slightly, hits your shield with the tip of bair, l-cancels, wavedashes away. once the bair hits your shield, how are you going to punish jigglypuff's lag? what lag?

over time this kind of pressure adds up and makes the match easier in vague ways =P

aand...in that case...don't play jiggs against computers as much.

Mahone

Smash Champion
yeah he's good at that when he wants to be. sometimes i wish i lived in california and everyone would just run into my moves and fail to DI out of combos.

hungrybox is pretty non-committal too. knowing when it's good to commit to things is very personal and situational. i can't really say more than that you have to feel it out. that calculation occurs in a part of my brain i can't consciously access.

Alright i gotcha

they could do a million things, but they won't because MINDGAMES. if you do bair, bair, bair, fair, bair, then jump again, they're going to wait for the next aerial, and by the time they realize you're not going to do that again you're already behind them. it's hard to react to something like that. they just don't know what's going on so their instinct is to wait in shield.

instead of uptilt you could also grab here. if you have to turn around to grab it might be too slow. up to you.

if they roll to get away from you, they're still in lag, and you can probably jump after them and hit them in time.

(oh, and you don't really want to do a late aerial if you're trying to land behind them...something hitting their shield tells them it's okay to move now)

Ya, ok, i understand that its a mixup, i didn't really mean it that way... i meant, can't they just react to it even though its a mixup, like they were expecting an aerial, but then MINDGAMES and you do it, but then they just react, but i guess thats asking a lot from them in a very short amount of time, so it should work even at high level

it's basically unpunishable unless you misspace the bair. you just don't get much out of it.

just imagine it from the peach side. jigglypuff floats toward you, floats away slightly, hits your shield with the tip of bair, l-cancels, wavedashes away. once the bair hits your shield, how are you going to punish jigglypuff's lag? what lag?

over time this kind of pressure adds up and makes the match easier in vague ways =P

Ya it seems pretty unpunishable if you have the right spacing, other chars might wd oos to something like a tilt, but i don't think peach has anything like that.

aand...in that case...don't play jiggs against computers as much.
Thanks again, and i'll just practice falco in training mode or something.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i meant when i'm just practicing with the lights off... i don't know what to practice with jiggs, but with falco there is always some random tech skill i can learn

idea

Smash Master
meh, you don't have to stop playing her in training mode completely. just...less maybe. practice combos or timing or something, but try not to read them too much, that'll just establish bad habits.

what i do is play various characters against level whatever fox and falco for like an hour or two a week, or whenever i feel like it.

also i never use training mode cause when i go back to regular mode afterward i feel temporarily less comfortable using the c-stick.

Mahone

Smash Champion
ya idk, i just waveland around and do full hop aerials and double bairs and **** and make sure i hit the lcancels, and then if im bored i do like edgecancels and try perfect rising pounds...

it helps to just keep a feel for the character, i find that if i practice falco too much, puff feels wayyy too slow and awkward to play, so mabye until pound ill just stick with playing puff in practice and friendlies

Tamoo

Smash Master
Hehe, I still break out jiggs in the clutch moment, barely made it outta pools at the last tournament with spacies :( Still have to resort to jiggs in bracket lol

Jiggs is so fun in tournament when you never practice with her :)

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
i haven't played jiggs in a long time
but i still hang around here due to having nothing better to do

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I always see hbox do bair->bair->bair combos, and i feel like if you do the safe spacing bair you don't have time to catch their di with another bair... so my question is how does he know?? Is he just sure the bair is going to connect, or is he maintaining a perfect spacing where he can weave out or move in... i just don't understand how he does it.
Are you talking about hbox continuing a string of bairs after landing from the first bair? Because it seems to me like Hbox always does a "rising bair" against grounded characters without a fast fall afterwards, which gives him time to jump again, and never hit the ground. In the case that KK posted, you did more of a"falling bair" along with a fastfall that forced you to hit the ground and get punished. Also, the "rising bair" seems to provide a 'scooping motion' that gets the opponent airborne (unless they CC)

So in effect, making sure you can still jump after your first bair seems to provide some safety against players that like to abuse CC or punish your bairs.

Hitting the ground also removes a small portion of your horizontal momentum, maybe giving your opponent time to cancel your next attack after they CC or even providing a window for them to tech to safety.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Are you talking about hbox continuing a string of bairs after landing from the first bair? Because it seems to me like Hbox always does a "rising bair" against grounded characters without a fast fall afterwards, which gives him time to jump again, and never hit the ground. In the case that KK posted, you did more of a"falling bair" along with a fastfall that forced you to hit the ground and get punished. Also, the "rising bair" seems to provide a 'scooping motion' that gets the opponent airborne (unless they CC)

So in effect, making sure you can still jump after your first bair seems to provide some safety against players that like to abuse CC or punish your bairs.

Hitting the ground also removes a small portion of your horizontal momentum, maybe giving your opponent time to cancel your next attack after they CC or even providing a window for them to tech to safety.
Thanks, that might be it, i appreciate the advice.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Thanks, that might be it, i appreciate the advice.
Actually, after re-reading your post I think I understand your question more clearly and I am equally confused. For instance:

In the case where peach shields your bair, she can nair oos... so if you were to not retreat, you would be punished. If you were to space very well and hit her shield with the tip of your bair hitbox, the only way to avoid the nair is to retreat.

So how does hbox know whether to keep moving forward or retreat? (I guess maybe he just "feels it" and goes with the flow) good question though

.... another option would be to space the first "rising" bair well, and immediately bair again... but even this poses the risk of trading aerials.

On another note: THANK YOU KK for showing us the nair through turnip strategy. God I didn't know how to deal with that approach for the longest time!
:)

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
haha. RoH, i like how you repost to say "oh, Mahone, I understood your question this time and have no idea what the answer is!" and disguise it in many lines of platitudes

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
plat·i·tude (pl t -t d , -ty d ). n. 1. A trite or banal remark or statement, especially one expressed as if it were original or significant

I didn't know what that meant

til now

Mahone

Smash Champion
Mahone for best Puff 2012 lolol
Wtf, i don't get it? Why are you saying this?

Actually, after re-reading your post I think I understand your question more clearly and I am equally confused. For instance:

In the case where peach shields your bair, she can nair oos... so if you were to not retreat, you would be punished. If you were to space very well and hit her shield with the tip of your bair hitbox, the only way to avoid the nair is to retreat.

So how does hbox know whether to keep moving forward or retreat? (I guess maybe he just "feels it" and goes with the flow) good question though

.... another option would be to space the first "rising" bair well, and immediately bair again... but even this poses the risk of trading aerials.

On another note: THANK YOU KK for showing us the nair through turnip strategy. God I didn't know how to deal with that approach for the longest time!
:)
Lol, i was just trying to be nice when i said thanks cuz i knew i worded my question poorly, but ya thats exactly what i mean. I'm suprised you took the time to go back and read it again. Ya i think its just kinda a feel thing that you get with experience... oh well.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Controlling space is pro. Actively challenging the opponent's zone with relatively high amounts of safety and thus taking away from his options is additionally pro.

Though I'm not sure that counts as approaching.

Mahone I was just trying to be sociable now I fear I've failed and will have to spend the rest of my life being a social recluse, only emerging from my cave to hand in assignments, go to smash tournaments, and go to work.

Oh wait I already do that.

idea

Smash Master
i realized the other day how convenient it is to just leave a folding table in my room at all times. now i have no reason to bring the cookies back to the kitchen.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Controlling space is pro. Actively challenging the opponent's zone with relatively high amounts of safety and thus taking away from his options is additionally pro.

Though I'm not sure that counts as approaching.

Mahone I was just trying to be sociable now I fear I've failed and will have to spend the rest of my life being a social recluse, only emerging from my cave to hand in assignments, go to smash tournaments, and go to work.

Oh wait I already do that.
Lol, you didn't fail, don't be so hard on yourself. Just believe in yourself and other will believe in you!!!

I just felt like your post would be appropriate after i was acting cocky or if you were making fun of me for some reason, so i didn't understand the timing of it, since all i said was that i appreciated some advise. Am i missing something?

idea

Smash Master
i'll jiggs ditto any of you guys at pound if you like :awesome:

but after one or two of those i'll probably want to go spacies. i mean, unless my cast is too cumbersome for me to have tech skill.

idea

Smash Master
i don't have a cell phone so i'll just look for that bow. or maybe the tags will have a big enough font to be read at a distance.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Do work Mahone! Best Puff 2011.

Lets do some MMs at Pound

Hbox doesn't not approach less he's already metagaming his next move
lol, i wish, but ya we'll definitely play at Pound.

i'll jiggs ditto any of you guys at pound if you like :awesome:

but after one or two of those i'll probably want to go spacies. i mean, unless my cast is too cumbersome for me to have tech skill.
I'll jiggs ditto you, but after zero games im going to go game and watch.

Everybody loves Jiggs dittos

724-681-2527

text if ya wanna f-f-fight. I won't be there til Sat morning tho

I will be wearing a giant blue bow on my head
Ya, this is a good idea, its probably gonna be hard as hell to find people... ill text you sometime on Saturday.

Also, idea, to find me, look for the guy not wearing a bow on their head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom