• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Robot Boy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Froggycorn1245
How do you feel about ROBs KO-ing ability, I know his strength was buffed, but the larger blast lines seem to be toning that down a bit.
I don't feel like that happens at all, especially with how fast his smash attacks are

Pixel_

Smash Ace
When exactly should I use Arm Rotor? I know you guys talked about it a little bit, but I couldn't really find a clear answer.

Also, what should I do if my opponent blocks it? If they block until the last hit, there's a ton of end lag. The best thing I could come up with is going behind them, but that doesn't really work...

(UNRELATED) EDIT: Just watched a video and a person there broke out of R.O.B.'s up throw once it passed through a platform.
It's at the 2:40 mark, the link should automatically do that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyborVOrDpM&t=2m40s

Not sure if this is known, but I definitely didn't know about that.

Last edited:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
(UNRELATED) EDIT: Just watched a video and a person there broke out of R.O.B.'s up throw once it passed through a platform.
It's at the 2:40 mark, the link should automatically do that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyborVOrDpM&t=2m40s

Not sure if this is known, but I definitely didn't know about that.
Yeah if you upthrow on a corner of the platform, the throw dysyncs. This also happens with the Lylat platforms when the stage tilts while doing uthrow.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Is there a need for a general thread when we have a Q&A thread and a social thread? It kind of clutters the section, imo.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Is there a need for a general thread when we have a Q&A thread and a social thread? It kind of clutters the section, imo.
Meh, I'd rather have this but if everybody else is going to move to the Social Thread I'll go too.

Xeak

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeakSteels
I am the only rob player in my area, my friend practically mains random and I am hearing he plays a really good rob I don't want to be disrespected in front of all my friends in an upcoming smash tournament any tips in rob dittos
Oh man, Rob dittos are so much fun. Short hop Gyro all the time, you'll win the trade if he Gyros on the ground. Rob's up air beats out neutral air from below and down air is too slow so keep the pressure when he is above you. For the same reason be careful when trying to edge guard him. You will easily be stage spiked if you are caught by his up air on his way back to the stage. Better to gyro or get to him before he is under the stage. Spacing and zoning is everything in the ditto. If you just rush his face your're going to get punished. Be calm and calculating.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Can anyone drop all the frame data knowledge on nair?
I base a lot of my game off the move and I need to rethink how I use the move.

Looking for landing lag/auto cancel info especially.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Nair
Frame 18-32: 8% 50b/100g (KO@ 220%) 60° Fire
Frame 18-32: 6% 50b/98g (KO@ 266%) 70° Fire
Max Damage: 8%
Enables transition to Nair landing state (landing lag) on real frame 1
Cancels transition to Nair landing state (landing lag) on real frame 33

What this means for auto-canceling is that nair will never autocancel at the beginning of the move, and the auto-cancel window at the end of the move starts on frame 33, right after the hitbox ends.
Based on this thread, which may be outdated, nair's landing lag is 12 frames. That sounds about right though.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, has everyone here moved to the social thread???

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
By the way am I the only one who really doesn't use R.O.B.'s Fsmash all that much? It just seems like a good punish for when the opponent rolls towards you and that's it really.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
By the way am I the only one who really doesn't use R.O.B.'s Fsmash all that much? It just seems like a good punish for when the opponent rolls towards you and that's it really.
Yea, it's way too slow. Ftilt is usually always better.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Yeah I mostly use it to punish rolls, I also use it when I mean to dash attack after d-tilt lol. Occasionally I'll charge an f-smash and angle it up, it's a pretty good anti-air. Not among the most punishable of smashes given its range.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
S3 isn't all too great, but I use it as somewhat of a surprise move just to throw it in there. And if my opponent is near the ledge I use it as a finisher.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've merged the general discussion thread into this one. With the existence of a Q&A thread and a social thread, the general discussion has no place (it was also almost dead).

1FC0

Smash Lord
Sometimes I try other characters but it never works out. How come only R.O.B. is awesome? Why are other characters so lame?

R.O.B. is so awesome that when people understand how awesome that R.O.B. is they go to the afterlife where they will be immortal and where they will have so much knowledge that they will even know how bees fly.

Bees fly because R.O.B. is awesome.

If you do not believe me then look it up yourself here: Information About R.O.B.'s Awesomeness

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
When exactly should I use Arm Rotor? I know you guys talked about it a little bit, but I couldn't really find a clear answer.

Also, what should I do if my opponent blocks it? If they block until the last hit, there's a ton of end lag. The best thing I could come up with is going behind them, but that doesn't really work...
I don't really recommend it. Only the short little hop at the beginning reflects and it's way too laggy.

If you do want to use it and they shield it, mix up. If you usually stay in front of them, they'll always shield grab. Mix it up by going away or behind them.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7

I don't really recommend it. Only the short little hop at the beginning reflects and it's way too laggy.

If you do want to use it and they shield it, mix up. If you usually stay in front of them, they'll always shield grab. Mix it up by going away or behind them.
I love Arm Rotor. Not to the point where I use it all the time (or what one could consider often), but if you have a good bead on their rolls/spotdodge patterns, or have conditioned them to expect a certain move (especially D-smash, since the two are somewhat similar at startup) it can make for a solid option, especially at kill percents. I'll use it maybe three times per set.

Some things I've found to make this move a bit more useful is to have a gyro spinning on the ground. If its on shield, you'll get the shield damage from the initial hit on shield from gyro+the rotor arm which will usually be enough to shield stab. If its reasonably close, and they roll into the gyro there's the chance they'll get hit by the gyro just long enough for the Arm Rotor to connect.

Of course, they can DI out of the arm rotor... though I am not 100% sure how easy this is. As such, if I'm going for a shieldstab, I'll try and lay as many hits as possible to get the stab. If I'm aiming for an outright clean hit I'll try to hit with the later couple of hits (harder to DI out of and thus secure the strong hit, I believe) if I have time. If not, multiple hits it is. Also, if I'm confident that their DI is suspect, I'll go for as many hits as possible.

Really, when to use it & "how much of it" is largely dependent on the situation & your opponent. Just kinda have to feel the opponent out throughout the course of the match and gauge how they will potentially react to it & determine if its worth the risk given the situation.

In terms of what to do if it misses... if you think you can get a shield-stab out of it, lay into them and try to cross them up so you land behind. If you don't try to get behind them, but as far as possible, or do a second cross-up (basically, cross them up to get behind as early as possible, and then back over to the original side... trying to get as far away). Alternatively, you can bail if a shieldstab isn't likely by moving as far away as possible w/o the crossups.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Hey folks, I ended up getting on a stream this week and was wondering if any of you'd like to critique my R.O.B. The chat pulling for me and the streamer commenting "That was a very fast R.O.B." had me pretty happy, but I know I didn't play these matches close to ideally. For example, I barely used SH Nairs to space and I did a lot of empty headed gyro pull outs with a Gyro already out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mTkCszLEo

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

LAIKA8

Smash Rookie
NNID
LAIKA8
Would someone be willing to redirect me to hitbox info on R.O.B.'s up smash and dair, or answer it themselves?

I feel like there are many times that my opponent is right in the burner, but the hit doesn't register. I feel like up smash is pretty reliable if I'm on the ground right next to the opponent, but is hit or miss if they're hopping right over me. And I've had quite a bit of luck reading a recovering opponent's down aerial and hit them with up smash as well, but then I might have trouble just hitting a free-falling opponent before they hit the ground. My trouble with dair typically occurs when I'm recovering and I try to meet their up aerial with the burner.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
So what's R.O.B.'s main weakness? Like, the main thing you want to keep enemies from exploiting?

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Hey folks, I ended up getting on a stream this week and was wondering if any of you'd like to critique my R.O.B. The chat pulling for me and the streamer commenting "That was a very fast R.O.B." had me pretty happy, but I know I didn't play these matches close to ideally. For example, I barely used SH Nairs to space and I did a lot of empty headed gyro pull outs with a Gyro already out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mTkCszLEo

Let me know what you think!
Good stuff! I liked your spacing, and despite not using nair that much, you gave him a hard time approaching. Reading that air doge after the d-throw is always nice too, haha. Fast R.O.B. indeed

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Crome Crome

I mean, it definitely gives us (well, all chars) that micro-spacing/micro-movement option to optimize positioning. Considering how vital ROBs d-tilt is in most MU's, I think its really a solid strat. At least against chars that are quick & who we lose to in the super CQ range, win in the "long range" CQ range + who we naturally outrange. Against some of the tougher MU's for ROB, I don't know if a PP distance + speed of the input and subsequent move will be fast enough + have enough range to combat an opponent's options (looking at Sheik, Diddy, Rosa w/ a Luma spaced out a bit and a few others... though this is conjecture atm based on impressions and no real, solid testing).

Of course, there's the technical difficulty (term used loosely) of it. One has to ask "Is it worth spending time to learn to input the perfect pivot, and get it to above 90-95% accuracy (imo, not being able to do any tech with 90-95% or better accuracy practice situations means "Dont try it in competition yet)".

My answer: "I don't know". Because I don't know, its not something I spend a TON of time practicing; I spend about 15-20 minutes on PP per practice session, and Im up to about 60% accuracy in executing the PP and about 50% accuracy in executing the action I want out of the PP.

I know that with the A+B = Smash Attack in the recent update, if your C-stick is set to smash, it makes PP'ing SUPER easy (basically,lay your index finger over a+b and wiggle the c-stick (+directional stick... I think?). The downside... you sacrifice all the stuff that you normally do when keeping C-stick as smash, as well as losing the benefit of easily tilting out of the PP.

My verdict: "Don't make it the focus of your practice session (B-reverse Gyro cancelling is WAY more important at this juncture in the meta, imo) - but don't neglect it entirely."

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Geez, this thread hasn't sent me notifications in a while. Anyways, I think I found a small bit of tech that helps us some. When an opponent is near a ledge, throw a gyro on top of them and then Dair. The knock back of the Gyro brings them right into the range/blast zone/sweetspot of the Dair.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Geez, this thread hasn't sent me notifications in a while. Anyways, I think I found a small bit of tech that helps us some. When an opponent is near a ledge, throw a gyro on top of them and then Dair. The knock back of the Gyro brings them right into the range/blast zone/sweetspot of the Dair.
Yeah, we've been calling it the gyrospike. Not seen a lot tho from vids I've seen. But I tend to get a few per tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGkEkVUwXE

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Shouldn't a gyro spike be when you drop a reverse gyro off stage and stage spike them?
Can't go back now. Kids on the street have already coined it. Even ppl that have never seen it before, and I do it to them in ranked, are calling it that.
Guess that will have to be the gyro stagespike :p

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Any idea on what part of the animation to look for when Gyro Cancelling? I kind of just do it immediately and most of the time it works, a visual que to look for would be nice.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So I main big characters, what is the best way to take control of the Gyro? I'm sure you've all faced people who know how to get around it. What do they usually do? Because man I get wrecked with a constant barrage of Gyro and Laser.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I main big characters, what is the best way to take control of the Gyro? I'm sure you've all faced people who know how to get around it. What do they usually do? Because man I get wrecked with a constant barrage of Gyro and Laser.
Well, when a R.O.B. player is throwing one at you, a shield instantly gets rid of the gyro once it hits the shield. An air dodge right before it hits you will give you the gyro, and from there you can throw it off stage or return to sender.

Top Bottom