• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
During my time updating the moveset thread, I found that if you throw gyro as if it were a smash-attack, it would deal more damage. Just throwing it deals 10%, but you get 11% when you smash-throw it.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I haven't been able to test it out fully, but for recovering, is it a good idea to use Robo-burner to get above the ledge, then Neutral Aerial, and then Arm Rotor right before/as you hit the ground? I know it's probably better in casual matches, but would it be an alright way to return to the stage even in a more competitive game?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sounds super unsafe.
Alright. Thanks for saying so. Like I've said before, I haven't been having as many issues with Robo-burner as you guys seem to be having, but thanks for your opinion.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Alright. Thanks for saying so. Like I've said before, I haven't been having as many issues with Robo-burner as you guys seem to be having, but thanks for your opinion.
Well Nair is actually really good to use when getting back on stage. Its just that arm rotor ( special side- b ) is not a good move and is extremely punishable. Also robo-burner makes R.O.B.'s recovery really predictable since its so slow now. Honestly I use robo-burner from underneath the ledge so that way if my opponent tries to attack me then i can fight back with R.O.B.'s U-air.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Do you guys sometimes, when you hit with Arm Rotor, think that it's dangerous so dangerous and you wanna do it again?
Arm Rotor just spins me around I suppose.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The Chibocopter has been my guilty pleasure since Brawl when it was even worse. It's one of those moves that's so bad (at least in Brawl) that your opponent gets confused and they shield drop or something and you get a hit in once in a blue moon. It almost never works but it's so satisfying when it does.

I forget who told me this, but I was told that you can cover your bases a little better against a shielding opponent if you continue past them so you end up behind them. That way, you reduce their ability to shield grab you. You can still get punished, but that's just one less punish you have to account for.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Do you guys sometimes, when you hit with Arm Rotor, think that it's dangerous so dangerous and you wanna do it again?
Arm Rotor just spins me around I suppose.
I see what you did there...

The Chibocopter has been my guilty pleasure since Brawl when it was even worse. It's one of those moves that's so bad (at least in Brawl) that your opponent gets confused and they shield drop or something and you get a hit in once in a blue moon. It almost never works but it's so satisfying when it does.

I forget who told me this, but I was told that you can cover your bases a little better against a shielding opponent if you continue past them so you end up behind them. That way, you reduce their ability to shield grab you. You can still get punished, but that's just one less punish you have to account for.
I've been doing this and it's worked out well for me.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Now that you mention Arm Rotor, have you guys seen my topic in which I said that I broke a shield with Arm Rotor? I like breaking shields because it gives me a good chance to show of R.O.B.'s taunt game! If the Infinite Robo Burner would still work then that would be an ideal technique to use after a shield break, if you have enough time!

Also what is a Chibicopter?

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I recently got in to playing R.O.B., and am exploring some of his options, so I have to ask, what's the purpose of gyro cancelling? I know what it is and how to do it but I don't understand the practical applications for it except for it being a very good taunt

1FC0

Smash Lord
I recently got in to playing R.O.B., and am exploring some of his options, so I have to ask, what's the purpose of gyro cancelling? I know what it is and how to do it but I don't understand the practical applications for it except for it being a very good taunt
As if taunting is not enough.... You sure are demanding!

But it can also be used to quickly turn around in the air.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
As if taunting is not enough.... You sure are demanding!

But it can also be used to quickly turn around in the air.
You mean with b-reversals? Damn, it must take a lot of practice to get that down consistently, especially in conjunction with the more difficult gyro cancel. Either way, I'm really enjoying R.O.B. at the moment, coming from a character with terrible KO options in to a character with a kill throw, excellent sprinting up-smash, amazing spike, and an uair that can be used out of up-b, it's like a Utopia of kill options, on top of having a reflector, an item spawning move, and a chargeable long-range penetrating and aimable projectile. gr8 character m8 i r8 8/8

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You mean with b-reversals? Damn, it must take a lot of practice to get that down consistently, especially in conjunction with the more difficult gyro cancel. Either way, I'm really enjoying R.O.B. at the moment, coming from a character with terrible KO options in to a character with a kill throw, excellent sprinting up-smash, amazing spike, and an uair that can be used out of up-b, it's like a Utopia of kill options, on top of having a reflector, an item spawning move, and a chargeable long-range penetrating and aimable projectile. gr8 character m8 i r8 8/8
I hear ya. Gotta love that up throw kill at over 120%. That thing has saved me at times. Dash Up Smash is also one of my favorites. I'm not sure how good it is, but this technique has worked really well for me, and it's basically a Neutral Air to spot dodge to Down Smash. Since Neutral Air lost some knockback, this combo is easier to do right before you hit the ground, so the Nair hitbox comes out and 1.5 seconds (or less) later you are on the ground. Due to lost knock back, my opponents use an Fair, which the spot dodge saves me from getting hit with, with the down smash to punish.

So, I've been beating my friend a lot. He mains Kirby. I was wondering if R.O.B. vs. Kirby is a match-up in R.O.B.'s favor most of the time. He also seconds Pikachu and Dark Pit. Does R.O.B.'s match-ups also include being favored over those two as well?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
How important is it to learn how to wavebounce?
Very.
It's hard to notice its significance at early levels of play. But being able to change your trajectory on a whim is a phenomenal option. I've been a pioneer of b-rev gyro cancels since Brawl. I poured my heart and soul into learning it just to gain an edge and it took me very far. ROB has a very linear recovery. He needs all the help he can get.
Here is a vid of me in Brawl using it to stay evasive (@2:00):
http://youtu.be/h2F9abV1UZQ?t=1m57s

I don't have hardly any Smash 4 vids up yet. I just ordered a capture device and I'm building a new PC (stream hype!) so I will have new material to show within about a month~

Last edited:

Kyussbm

Smash Rookie
What options does R.O.B. have off the ledge when the opponent is properly spacing/punishing? Ledge hop fair is what I tend to use just to get a quick hitbox out but strong opponents will place themselves outside of fair's range. Is ledge hop laser something that could work? Are there good options off of his ledge jump like there are for some other characters?

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
What options does R.O.B. have off the ledge when the opponent is properly spacing/punishing? Ledge hop fair is what I tend to use just to get a quick hitbox out but strong opponents will place themselves outside of fair's range. Is ledge hop laser something that could work? Are there good options off of his ledge jump like there are for some other characters?
If they like to jump, you can try a ledge hop back-air, but I don't think that trick would work twice. It's just sooo satisfying to pull off, so Ill mention it.

However in all seriousness, ROB's aerials have a lot of startup lag, and his forward-air does not have much range. Probably fast-fall neutral-airs, if timed right they autocancel into the ground so that would be one of the better options. BUT, it is not ROB's only option.

When you say ledge hop, you mean when you press jump off a ledge? ROB has another option to this. If you tap down on you left-thumbstick, you simply drop from the edge, jump out of it, and you will have a chance to fire a projectile. So if you ledge-drop>jump>laser, you can expect even some of the more strong opponents to be surprised, and if you are quick enough it is even possible to ledge-drop>jump>gyro, which is a very powerful method to start taking back stage-control thanks to it's lingering hitbox.

Kyussbm

Smash Rookie
If they like to jump, you can try a ledge hop back-air, but I don't think that trick would work twice. It's just sooo satisfying to pull off, so Ill mention it.

However in all seriousness, ROB's aerials have a lot of startup lag, and his forward-air does not have much range. Probably fast-fall neutral-airs, if timed right they autocancel into the ground so that would be one of the better options. BUT, it is not ROB's only option.

When you say ledge hop, you mean when you press jump off a ledge? ROB has another option to this. If you tap down on you left-thumbstick, you simply drop from the edge, jump out of it, and you will have a chance to fire a projectile. So if you ledge-drop>jump>laser, you can expect even some of the more strong opponents to be surprised, and if you are quick enough it is even possible to ledge-drop>jump>gyro, which is a very powerful method to start taking back stage-control thanks to it's lingering hitbox.
When I say ledge hop I refer to what you're describing- drop from ledge, double jump. I normally use ledge jump to describe just pressing jump from the ledge, I'm not sure if that's correct terminology.

I actually was doing some experimentation and started using ledge hop gyro some last night and it does seem to be a very powerful option! Hopefully I can get good at shooting it at different heights/lengths to hit opponents covering different areas. I think that even with a fully charged laser, a gyro might be a better option from the ledge since it's faster to come out.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
When I say ledge hop I refer to what you're describing- drop from ledge, double jump. I normally use ledge jump to describe just pressing jump from the ledge, I'm not sure if that's correct terminology.

I actually was doing some experimentation and started using ledge hop gyro some last night and it does seem to be a very powerful option! Hopefully I can get good at shooting it at different heights/lengths to hit opponents covering different areas. I think that even with a fully charged laser, a gyro might be a better option from the ledge since it's faster to come out.
The biggest concern to have when ledge hopping with the gyro is that you usually have to resort back to the ledge. In that case, you have no invincibility. And if they blocked the gyro, odds are they are going to hard punish your ledge regrab.

I do this btw, I'm just reminding you to be mindful of this. Perhaps it's safer on SV when the moving platform is above you to resort to. Another option is to bait a punish by your opponent, then grab the ledge + buffer a get up option.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys...R.O.B. is in the current conquest against Mega Man for the title of "Super Fighting Robot". I say we all rig it so our old pal can win and take the title he deserves...and we're going to need a LOT of support to beat Mega Man, so I say let's do this.

Last edited:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys...R.O.B. is in the current conquest against Mega Man for the title of "Super Fighting Robot". I say we all rig it so our old pal can win and take the title he deserves...and we're going to need a LOT of support to beat Mega Man, so I say let's do this.
Already way ahead of you! I saw the conquest and immediately got some points for R.O.B. Lets show mega man who the REAL fighting robot is!!!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Already way ahead of you! I saw the conquest and immediately got some points for R.O.B. Lets show mega man who the REAL fighting robot is!!!
Agreed! I've got a bad schedule though (lots of HW), but I'll be contributing as much as I can.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Agreed! I've got a bad schedule though (lots of HW), but I'll be contributing as much as I can.
You can only contribute once per 16 hours. So conquesting will not take much of your time.
You can view if you can contribute or how long it will take before that you can contribute by watching the current conquest after going online. If it says that you can contribute, then you better make it count, because normally only your next match with a conquest character will count and after that you will normally have to wait 16 hours before that you can contribute to the conquest again!

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Conquest
Points earned by players depend on their results. The rate at which points are gained do not differ between modes and are as follows:

• Getting a KO in any match grants 1 point per KO. If an opponent SD's, it will not count as a KO or a point.
  • 4 more points are added if a match is won.
  • In a Team Battle, 1 point is added for every KO a teammate gets.
Additionally, participating in a match will always add 1 point regardless of the match's results.

The most points that can be gained in 1v1 is 6. The maximum value in Team Battle or Smash varies.
What I am prolly going to do is in FG 1v1 first use another character and see how my opponent plays. If he is bad then I am going to pretend that I am even worse so that he will stay. Then, prolly in the next match, I will use R.O.B. and will beat him in his first stock, although not too badly since I do not want him to SD when he respwans. Then on his second stock I go all out on the scrub since then when he realises that he has no chance I will have already attacked him and it is too late for him to rob me of my well earned point.

I might need this since today I almost lost my conquest match against Marth. Luckily I made a pretty big comeback when I changed battle tactics after being killed by him.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You can only contribute once per 16 hours. So conquesting will not take much of your time.
You can view if you can contribute or how long it will take before that you can contribute by watching the current conquest after going online. If it says that you can contribute, then you better make it count, because only your next match with a conquest character will count and after that you will have to wait 16 hours again!

What I am prolly going to do is in FG 1v1 first use another character and see how my opponent plays. If he is bad then I am going to pretend that I am even worse so that he will stay. Then, prolly in the next match, I will use R.O.B. and will beat him in his first stock, although not too badly since I do not want him to SD when he respwans. Then his second stock I go all out on the scrub since then when he realises he has no chance I will have already attacked him and it is too late for him to rob me of my well earned point.

Kind of a conquest trap. I might need this since today I almost lost my conquest match against Marth. Luckily I made a pretty big comeback when I changed battle tactics after being killed by him.
Only once every 16 HOURS?!?! I thought it was once every 16 minutes...

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
May I ask R.O.B's general weaknesses and what can be exploited to beat him? There's this really good one in my region who practically squashes me like a bug and I can't beat him, and fighting other ROBs can be kind of annoying too. He didn't make it on the PR for my state but was given an honorable mention, and I figured that if I wanna be up there next time I wanna learn how to beat the PR players who body me and study the characters they play as and learn my matchups against them (in addition to improving my own fundamentals of course).

Long story aside, I choose to start with him because I come across ROB players quite a lot and battling him is always kind of hard because I dunno how he works and don't know all my options against him. If I can learn to fight R.O.B in general, maybe I can get that one player too. I play Greninja, Sonic, and Mega Man if it matters.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Ok greninja is a good start.
First question: do you play custom on?
Anyway learn to power Shield, approach slowly until there is half FD between him and you and then rush his face. Put him in the sky, up air up air up air up air up air up air up air up air up smash and it's over. Don't use shadow sneak or counter, and if you send him off stage don't sit and taunt: go and keep him offstage with shuriken or Fair. You can try to win style points and stagespike him. Even if he techs you don't commit. And if he techs there will be so much hype ;-)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
May I ask R.O.B's general weaknesses and what can be exploited to beat him? There's this really good one in my region who practically squashes me like a bug and I can't beat him, and fighting other ROBs can be kind of annoying too. He didn't make it on the PR for my state but was given an honorable mention, and I figured that if I wanna be up there next time I wanna learn how to beat the PR players who body me and study the characters they play as and learn my matchups against them (in addition to improving my own fundamentals of course).

Long story aside, I choose to start with him because I come across ROB players quite a lot and battling him is always kind of hard because I dunno how he works and don't know all my options against him. If I can learn to fight R.O.B in general, maybe I can get that one player too. I play Greninja, Sonic, and Mega Man if it matters.
Ok greninja is a good start.
First question: do you play custom on?
Anyway learn to power Shield, approach slowly until there is half FD between him and you and then rush his face. Put him in the sky, up air up air up air up air up air up air up air up air up smash and it's over. Don't use shadow sneak or counter, and if you send him off stage don't sit and taunt: go and keep him offstage with shuriken or Fair. You can try to win style points and stagespike him. Even if he techs you don't commit. And if he techs there will be so much hype ;-)
That's pretty good info. I'm a Greninja player too (my personal 3rd best in this game, beaten by the two characters in my avatar), and fighting a R.O.B. with him can be a bit uneasy.

Hilarious avatar, PUK.

Last edited:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice

Two of R.O.B.'s weaknesses is rushdown and recovery. R.O.B. will have a hard time trying to keep up with sonic and won't be able to react quick enough due to his amazing speed and rushdown capabilities. Having R.O.B. in the air is also a good strategy since he is floaty and such a big target. Its also good to know that he gets juggled to no end due to his weight and size.

R.O.B.'s recovery is also really predictable and pretty easy to edgeguard. Combine those two and you have a pretty easy target.
Well that's all the advice I got at the moment but remember just because he has pretty big weaknesses doesn't make him a pushover and skill always plays a huge part. Hope this helps and good luck!

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Q: Does ROB counter Sonic or give him a hard time?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Q: Does ROB counter Sonic or give him a hard time?
Sonic can combo us pretty well. I've never had issues with the match up, but thats just me though, I've probably just played bad sonics.

I don't think it's too bad a match up, though. Just don't get in a bad position.

Kerpy Derp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerpy Derp
3DS FC
3136-7596-2766
I am the only rob player in my area, my friend practically mains random and I am hearing he plays a really good rob I don't want to be disrespected in front of all my friends in an upcoming smash tournament any tips in rob dittos

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I am the only rob player in my area, my friend practically mains random and I am hearing he plays a really good rob I don't want to be disrespected in front of all my friends in an upcoming smash tournament any tips in rob dittos
I'm only a casual player, so my advice may not be too good in competitive stuff, but I'd say keep the pressure on any opponent and always have a projectile ready.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
With R.O.B. take advantage when he is in the air since he is floaty and a big target. Also take advantage of his easy and predictable recovery which should be easy with R.O.B. since you can use lasers, gyro or even spike him if he is coming from below. Though be careful since these two weaknesses can be used against you as well (since you are using R.O.B. as well). Try not using side-b at all in this match since its really punishable when you miss and even when you do reflect R.O.B.'s projectiles it still can be punished so I wouldn't bother using it.

When recovering with R.O.B. don't waste all the fuel at once and instead tap the b button when you initialize his up special and use Bair when above the stage to conserve your fuel. You will be surprised on how much this will help you out and how it can save you from being edge guarded. Also take more advantage of your gyro in this match rather then your laser as the gyro is a really important tool for R.O.B. That's all I got for now but hopefully this helps you out.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am not really good either but perhaps if you can steal his Gyro it might be a good idea to use Gyro Aerials, where you z drop the Gyro and then immediately catch it with an aerial. This way you can prevent him from using his Gyro's while still being able to use all your aerials.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I am not really good either but perhaps if you can steal his Gyro it might be a good idea to use Gyro Aerials, where you z drop the Gyro and then immediately catch it with an aerial. This way you can prevent him from using his Gyro's while still being able to use all your aerials.
Actually this is a really good idea! Did not think about that!

Top Bottom