• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
A bit off topic, but anyone seen the R.O.B. cameo in Legend of Zelda: MM 3D? If not, I can post a link when I've got the time.

1FC0

Smash Lord
So you say that R.O.B. is confirmed as playable character in LoZ:MM 3DS? AWSOME! Finally another series who sees the light and knows that R.O.B. should be included as playable besides MK and Smash!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yep, pretty neat. Did you see it through GameXplain too?
Ya.

So you say that R.O.B. is confirmed as playable character in LoZ:MM 3DS? AWSOME! Finally another series who sees the light and knows that R.O.B. should be included as playable besides MK and Smash!
Playable, no. Just a little easter egg in the back of a shop. Check out GameXplain's YouTube channel to see the video.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Hi I'm new to R.O.B in general and main Pacman and Jiggs, but I wanna drop Pacman for R.O.B. @ Mister Eric Mister Eric I read one of your forums on b-reversing and my opinion of R.O.B. changed right off the bat, I wanna know what a good controller setup for R.O.B. is. Also, I am lazy to buy GC controller so I use PDP GamePad. ty! and Happy Valentines!!

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
@ Jay-kun Jay-kun really any setup works as long as you are comfortable with cause i use standard cantrols with gamepad just that the ZR button is sheild

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I am currently using(and adjusting to) the Wii-U pro controller. It seems awkward at first, due to the analogs being in a strange place, but I am adapting more quickly then I thought.

Here is my current control setup:

I prefer tap jump on, because I can more naturally perform ROB's combos. To make up for the resultant difficulty to uptilt, I use the c-stick for tilts rather than smashes, and I'm experimenting with having L2 be my jump button, for greater ease on short-hopping.

I don't know if this is the ideal setup, but I will see this through until I hit a skill ceiling.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't know how you guys are able to use other controllers. Like I've stated before, I use Wiimote held sideways, it makes it SOOOO much easier than having 2 control sticks. But again, I'll accept that I'm in the minority on this. But for me, two control sticks needs WAY more fast finger movement than Wiimote. In my world, you guys are making it hard on yourselves. Also, I don't feel like using the Gamepad simply because of the small screen it provides. I want to be able to know my controls and watch what I'm doing on the big screen, though I do know that what you do on that screen is the same as on the TV screen.

If anyone has the same controller preference as me, just go with the default set up. It's easy to understand, once you figure out that the controls for moving are also flipped due to the Wiimote being flipped.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hi I'm new to R.O.B in general and main Pacman and Jiggs, but I wanna drop Pacman for R.O.B. @ Mister Eric Mister Eric I read one of your forums on b-reversing and my opinion of R.O.B. changed right off the bat, I wanna know what a good controller setup for R.O.B. is. Also, I am lazy to buy GC controller so I use PDP GamePad. ty! and Happy Valentines!!
We are very like-minded ppl =]

If this was Brawl, I would recommend setting Z to jump, but since it isn't...I really don't know what coul...wait a sec. Set up taunt to grab. I forgot about this one and need to use it more myself. While you have a gyro in your hand and you are in the air moving left or right, you take your thumb off the analog stick, press up taunt, then fair (which will we grab the gyro. I choose up taunt because it requires you to take your thumb off the analog stick which won't make you toss the gyro in the direction you were holding by accident. It's just a more reliable way to keep momentum forward or backwards, z drop, and fair. Try it out!

If you're interested in the Skype grp, hit me up.

Welcome to the #ROBSquad.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3

If this was Brawl, I would recommend setting Z to jump, but since it isn't...I really don't know what coul...wait a sec. Set up taunt to grab. I forgot about this one and need to use it more myself. While you have a gyro in your hand and you are in the air moving left or right, you take your thumb off the analog stick, press up taunt, then fair (which will we grab the gyro. I choose up taunt because it requires you to take your thumb off the analog stick which won't make you toss the gyro in the direction you were holding by accident. It's just a more reliable way to keep momentum forward or backwards, z drop, and fair. Try it out!

Haha I'm actually not dropping Pacman, I've put 150+ hours with him and can't leave em hanging. Though I am REALLY interested in R.O.B. I went against one today and he punished my rolls with down-tossed gyro. R.O.B. really is special one :3 I kind of hate playing him because he is heavy and Pacman is floaty so I don't adjust> :(
srry i dont do skype :/

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Haha I'm actually not dropping Pacman, I've put 150+ hours with him and can't leave em hanging. Though I am REALLY interested in R.O.B. I went against one today and he punished my rolls with down-tossed gyro. R.O.B. really is special one :3 I kind of hate playing him because he is heavy and Pacman is floaty so I don't adjust> :(
srry i dont do skype :/
it's all good. it's just a good way to communicate and set up friendlies, etc.
if you ever get it, let me know!

transitioning between characters with really different characteristics can be rly difficult, but it is very advantageous when CP'ing an opponent. It also gives you a new perspective on another style of character which could help you in the long run.

stick around here and hopefully we can help you make ROB a comfortable secondary or co-main.

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
ROB will ROB pac-man of your main spot you have been warned but seriously though good luck with ROB and i hope he suits you

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
I don't know how you guys are able to use other controllers. Like I've stated before, I use Wiimote held sideways, it makes it SOOOO much easier than having 2 control sticks. But again, I'll accept that I'm in the minority on this. But for me, two control sticks needs WAY more fast finger movement than Wiimote. In my world, you guys are making it hard on yourselves. Also, I don't feel like using the Gamepad simply because of the small screen it provides. I want to be able to know my controls and watch what I'm doing on the big screen, though I do know that what you do on that screen is the same as on the TV screen.

If anyone has the same controller preference as me, just go with the default set up. It's easy to understand, once you figure out that the controls for moving are also flipped due to the Wiimote being flipped.
how do you grab then?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
how do you grab then?
- button.

I was never told I was in or out, am I part of the ROB Squad?

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
I'm a little new to R.O.B. (actually the game in general since I just got a Wii U last Tuesday, but I've played all of the past Smash titles) but I think I have the fundamentals down, at least. I've been reading the tips here and a few of them have helped greatly! Quick question, does ROB always launch his gyros in the same direction that he first charges them? I've had a lot of instances online where he would charge it and then shoot it in the opposite direction, right off the stage. Something I've noticed about it though is that it happens most often when I charge it, then switch to the other side of the stage and then shoot it. Since I charged it facing left, then move to the right side of the stage, if I down B again then he would face to the left and shoot it (therefore the gyro being sent into the abyss).

To counter this, I've just started to shoot the gyro as soon as I down B, which has been working out much better. But just to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, does he?

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have kill percents for fully charged laser? Been using it lately to "snipe" people who are launched far and high and are attempting to recover. Is there any other percents or situations where it kills?

I've also noticed that gyro besides doing a normal offstage gimp with it at higher percents will create the red meteor effect when an opponent is hit off stage. Is there kill percents for this as well?

Thanks in advanced.

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
well ya the knockback of the laser kills at above 100% when they are off stage but they need to be in the magnifying glass area where they take 1% of damage over time that is probably where it will only kill

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
R.O.B.s cameo in Majora's mask makes me happy, I actually said I would like to see R.O.B. make a cameo in the Zelda series.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Every ROB is a part of the #ROBSquad ([^_^]
Yes! Also, the absolute strangest thing happened to me online today. I'll see if I can upload a few videos for you guys to check it out too.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Fully charged it does in SSBB .
Fully charged? Heck, back in my Brawl days, the second Sudden Death started I just fired a laser and I won instantly.

Also, I will probably be able to get those videos up soon. Really strange what happened. If I can't, I'll just describe it in words.

Last edited:

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
I'm a little new to R.O.B. (actually the game in general since I just got a Wii U last Tuesday, but I've played all of the past Smash titles) but I think I have the fundamentals down, at least. I've been reading the tips here and a few of them have helped greatly! Quick question, does ROB always launch his gyros in the same direction that he first charges them? I've had a lot of instances online where he would charge it and then shoot it in the opposite direction, right off the stage. Something I've noticed about it though is that it happens most often when I charge it, then switch to the other side of the stage and then shoot it. Since I charged it facing left, then move to the right side of the stage, if I down B again then he would face to the left and shoot it (therefore the gyro being sent into the abyss).

To counter this, I've just started to shoot the gyro as soon as I down B, which has been working out much better. But just to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, does he?
Nevermind, I've figured it out.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Fully charged? Heck, back in my Brawl days, the second Sudden Death started I just fired a laser and I won instantly.

Also, I will probably be able to get those videos up soon. Really strange what happened. If I can't, I'll just describe it in words.
I would love to see that because I remember his laser being too weak unless fully charged. Did I really stall 20 seconds all those sudden deaths for nothing?

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see that because I remember his laser being too weak unless fully charged. Did I really stall 20 seconds all those sudden deaths for nothing?
Pretty sure I've had a fully charged laser kill in sudden death

1FC0

Smash Lord
I recently saw that R.O.B'.s Fsmash is named S3. What a mysterious name! And where are S1 and S2?

Maybe the S means Smash and his Dsmash and Upsmash are S1 and S2!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I recently saw that R.O.B'.s Fsmash is named S3. What a mysterious name! And where are S1 and S2?

Maybe the S means Smash and his Dsmash and Upsmash are S1 and S2!
I've wondered why it's name is what it is as well.

Also, I will have those videos up by tomorrow, too much going on today.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Lately I have been using Z-Drop Aerials and Z-Drop Nair is a really good approach I think. Also spiking someone with Z Drop Dair feels good.

I think that when Z Drop Aerials are mastered you might be better of holding the Gyro than you are charging it, especially since thrown Gyro's now actually deal more damage than a fully charged Gyro.
Shooting a fully charged Gyro now only deals 10 damage, while throwing it seems to deal up to 13 damage.
When I kill someone I used to use the time to charge the Gyro but now I might actually just shoot the Gyro and grab it instead.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Lately I have been using Z-Drop Aerials and Z-Drop Nair is a really good approach I think. Also spiking someone with Z Drop Dair feels good.

I think that when Z Drop Aerials are mastered you might be better of holding the Gyro than you are charging it, especially since thrown Gyro's now actually deal more damage than a fully charged Gyro.
Shooting a fully charged Gyro now only deals 10 damage, while throwing it seems to deal up to 13 damage.
When I kill someone I used to use the time to charge the Gyro but now I might actually just shoot the Gyro and grab it instead.
Definetly better than shooting them. Also online a lot of people seem to be confused by z dropping nairs or aerials more often then not they forget I still have gyro in hand.

I always try to grab my gyro and then approach them with back away z drop nairs it usually puts a good amount of mental pressure and makes them rush in, then I just throw gyro in their face pick it back up rinse and repeat. Launching still has its benefits for gimps/covering grounded approaches ect. Some characters are too short to be hit by a gyro thrown close up so launching is your best bet on those scenarios.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078

This is very true imo. I used to charge my Gyro cause i thought it made it last longer when dropped on the ground after catching it but there's no difference at all, so i also feel like it's generally of more benefit to just grab it after a stock cause of the options it gives you.

There's no difference in damage however, both a fully charged Gyro and hard throwed Gyro deals 10%.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I have no idea when I can get the videos up, but they will be up eventually.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Interesting! I was testing out in training mode and only got it to do 10% but thanks for clarifying.
I tested it in Practice too and also got 10 max. But then I went in a battle and got 11 as highest throw damage. Confusing indeed!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I tested it in Practice too and also got 10 max. But then I went in a battle and got 11 as highest throw damage. Confusing indeed!
Before starting an online match with friends, pick up the gyro, get on top of the sandbag (so both it and you are occupying the same space), and throw the gyro downwards. That does 13 damage. However, other than that, it is hard to predict how much damage the gyro does. I think it might be with how far the gyro goes when thrown before it hits it's target.

Top Bottom