• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Finally got the game on Christmas and I was finally able to play as R.O.B. himself. I'm REALLY enjoying him. I won all of my matches with him (then again, I only play against cpu opponents so I guess it doesn't mean that much). The way you guys were talking about it, I thought his new air game would disappoint me, but I was totally wrong. I was still able to best my opponents in around 2.5 minutes or less. I will probably be trying him out online tomorrow. Really happy with the new R.O.B., but can someone tell me how to get the color palette to STAY on his red and white swap? When I exit regular smash mode and go to my vault or wherever, then come back, he's back to the dull gray and white. I thought someone said this game saved your color swaps, but how do I do that? Or is this not possible? Thanks, and happy new year everyone!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Finally got the game on Christmas and I was finally able to play as R.O.B. himself. I'm REALLY enjoying him. I won all of my matches with him (then again, I only play against cpu opponents so I guess it doesn't mean that much). The way you guys were talking about it, I thought his new air game would disappoint me, but I was totally wrong. I was still able to best my opponents in around 2.5 minutes or less. I will probably be trying him out online tomorrow. Really happy with the new R.O.B., but can someone tell me how to get the color palette to STAY on his red and white swap? When I exit regular smash mode and go to my vault or wherever, then come back, he's back to the dull gray and white. I thought someone said this game saved your color swaps, but how do I do that? Or is this not possible? Thanks, and happy new year everyone!
I'm not 100%, but that might have only applied to the 3DS ver.

Welcome to the R.O.B. family :)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm not 100%, but that might have only applied to the 3DS ver.

Welcome to the R.O.B. family :)
Thanks, and DANG IT!

If there is a way to change it permanently, somebody please share!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Spent some time recently attempting to learn a couple of other characters. Alas, we all make mistakes. Interestingly it was the likes of Bowser/Falcon; no other projectile character really seems to hit the spot for me.

Either way I am back to ROB. It was not all in vain though; time spent trying to perfect D-Throw -> Knee with Falcon has improved my timing in the air a bit so the F-Air gimps were going a lot better online tonight. I have a few questions/thoughts:

- I had not until recently used the Gyro as much more than a tool for gimping and making moving around the stage awkward, but I'm starting to see the value of keeping one in hand for offensive play. In particular I've found Midair Gyro Throw to F-Air an extremely useful combo (I am almost certain it is a true one, the F-Air comes out VERY quickly after the throw). It is also very good at punishing airdodges.

- Is there a good video on B-Reversals to help me learn? I can do the midair gyro cancelling (though not really naturally and it still needs practising) though the grounded one is out of reach and currently I dont really know quite what to do with it anyway.

- Is there any good tournament footage of R.O.B. to watch? How is he doing in tournaments? There isn't a competitive Smash community near me and I dont think I would have the time to commit to one anyway but it is nice to keep up to date with the tournaments.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Am I the only one who finds ROB's Up Air more godlike than :4diddy:'s? When fighting against him, his Uair is easily one of the most annoying moves I've ever gone up against and still is, although most people seem to fear the Nair more (also amazing). His Up air is partly why I decided to try ROB myself on For Glory, and so far I haven't lost a single game yet, and the Up Air has been a pretty good factor in that. I didn't even go into training mode with him even once, I just took my experience from fighting other Robs head first into battle (will post videos later for my justification, I feel like an ass talking like this). Anyhow, how do you utilized rob's other aerials? While I loathe playing against him, playing as him has been surprisingly fun and maybe I thought I'd dig slightly deeper...

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Am I the only one who finds ROB's Up Air more godlike than :4diddy:'s?
It's not nearly as terrible as Diddy's Uair. ROB gets 20-30 from D-throw > Uair, but for Diddy it's more like 40-50. And is still a combo up into kill percentages. God, I hate that monkey.:drflip:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Am I the only one who finds ROB's Up Air more godlike than :4diddy:'s? When fighting against him, his Uair is easily one of the most annoying moves I've ever gone up against and still is, although most people seem to fear the Nair more (also amazing). His Up air is partly why I decided to try ROB myself on For Glory, and so far I haven't lost a single game yet, and the Up Air has been a pretty good factor in that. I didn't even go into training mode with him even once, I just took my experience from fighting other Robs head first into battle (will post videos later for my justification, I feel like an *** talking like this). Anyhow, how do you utilized rob's other aerials? While I loathe playing against him, playing as him has been surprisingly fun and maybe I thought I'd dig slightly deeper...
ROB's uair is more of a caught-you-slippin move at higher %s while diddy's is a kill % combo. That's the fear difference.

Aerials
Dair:
-Use to stall your recovery.
-use to follow up a footstool
-use to eat through air dodges.
-Use to guide your recovery (ROB dairs diagonally, so have your back towards the stage to do this.)

Bair:
-If you are against an opponent who air dodges a lot, then throw out a slow move like this one that won't come out until their airdodge is over.
-If you do a short hop bair and DO NOT fast fall (FF) it, then you will auto cancel your landing.
-Packs a punch, can kill off stage at 70+~
-Influences your recovery.
-I'm way too used to the Brawl bair, so I'm still on the fence about this move. I don't use it much yet.

Fair:
-Combos into itself.
-Anti-air approach.
-Out of shield option.
-Quick offensive item grabbing option.
-Gimps well.
-Nearly no landing lag.

Nair:
-Covers rolls.
-Virtually no landing lag
-You can immediately act out of landing this move on the ground. Even if you land it during your spinning animation. You can throw out an input during your Interruptable As Soon As (IASA) frames. Try it out with landing a nair and then jab (great option).
-Nair to roll, down tilt, other quick moves are also good. Basically nair to neutrals.
-Kind of eats through air dodges.
-Good item pick up move as it covers all around you.
-Best offensive landing option 9 times out of 10.

Uair:
-Juggles like crazy.
-Can land with it and lead into utilt
-Can combo out of dthrow and ultilt (me thinks).
-Even when you downthrow and you can't combo with it, wait for an air dodge and then attack with it. So do an empty jump, spook them into air dodging, then punish. I've killed at 60+ doing this.
-Good anti-gimping option as you're recovering.
-Safe sharking method under high platforms.
-Packs a punch.

I'm sure there's plenty more to add, but I hope this helps.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Like in SSBB, if Kirby copies you then you can get a guaranteed Dair on him by Dairing as soon as he shoots you out.
R.O.B.'s laser does not come cheap =)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Read this entire first post.
http://smashboards.com/threads/important-gyro-cancelling-tip.383117/

If you still have questions, let me know.
Thanks very much for this.
Am I the only one who finds ROB's Up Air more godlike than :4diddy:'s? When fighting against him, his Uair is easily one of the most annoying moves I've ever gone up against and still is, although most people seem to fear the Nair more (also amazing). His Up air is partly why I decided to try ROB myself on For Glory, and so far I haven't lost a single game yet, and the Up Air has been a pretty good factor in that. I didn't even go into training mode with him even once, I just took my experience from fighting other Robs head first into battle (will post videos later for my justification, I feel like an *** talking like this). Anyhow, how do you utilized rob's other aerials? While I loathe playing against him, playing as him has been surprisingly fun and maybe I thought I'd dig slightly deeper...
Both are good moves but ROB's is in a sense more commitment as it stays out longer and has more lag. Mister Eric has covered the aerials well. D-Air is a powerful meteor and feels great to land but is predictable. F-Air is a great aerial for gimping due to its speed and lack of lag. Whilst ROB's recovery isn't the easiest to get back on stage with, it does have fantastic duration in the air if you tap the button rather than holding it which allows you to really go deep whilst gimping. You can do 4 or 5 F-Airs offstage to keep the opponent from recovering and still make it back to the platform from the bottom corner.

B-Air is a slow but powerful move that can also aid horizontal recovery (moreso on Wii U where you can perform it whilst moving forward). It's harder to punish than it looks as it has a decent size disjoint and pushes you forward.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry man, you're outta luck there. But is it really that hard to press X once?
No, I just don't feel like doing it every time I switch modes, every time I take the cursor off his picture, and every time I turn on the game. It makes me upset...

ROB's uair is more of a caught-you-slippin move at higher %s while diddy's is a kill % combo. That's the fear difference.

Aerials
Dair:
-Use to stall your recovery.
-use to follow up a footstool
-use to eat through air dodges.
-Use to guide your recovery (ROB dairs diagonally, so have your back towards the stage to do this.)

Bair:
-If you are against an opponent who air dodges a lot, then throw out a slow move like this one that won't come out until their airdodge is over.
-If you do a short hop bair and DO NOT fast fall (FF) it, then you will auto cancel your landing.
-Packs a punch, can kill off stage at 70+~
-Influences your recovery.
-I'm way too used to the Brawl bair, so I'm still on the fence about this move. I don't use it much yet.

Fair:
-Combos into itself.
-Anti-air approach.
-Out of shield option.
-Quick offensive item grabbing option.
-Gimps well.
-Nearly no landing lag.

Nair:
-Covers rolls.
-Virtually no landing lag
-You can immediately act out of landing this move on the ground. Even if you land it during your spinning animation. You can throw out an input during your Interruptable As Soon As (IASA) frames. Try it out with landing a nair and then jab (great option).
-Nair to roll, down tilt, other quick moves are also good. Basically nair to neutrals.
-Kind of eats through air dodges.
-Good item pick up move as it covers all around you.
-Best offensive landing option 9 times out of 10.

Uair:
-Juggles like crazy.
-Can land with it and lead into utilt
-Can combo out of dthrow and ultilt (me thinks).
-Even when you downthrow and you can't combo with it, wait for an air dodge and then attack with it. So do an empty jump, spook them into air dodging, then punish. I've killed at 60+ doing this.
-Good anti-gimping option as you're recovering.
-Safe sharking method under high platforms.
-Packs a punch.

I'm sure there's plenty more to add, but I hope this helps.
Like in SSBB, if Kirby copies you then you can get a guaranteed Dair on him by Dairing as soon as he shoots you out.
R.O.B.'s laser does not come cheap =)
Good things to know...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Say, do you people want a social thread? Also I'm un-stickying the Custom moveset project thread; it seems to be dead.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Say, do you people want a social thread? Also I'm un-stickying the Custom moveset project thread; it seems to be dead.
A social thread sounds nice. Would be good to seperate the idle conversation from gameplay discussion. I could go ahead and make one if the peorple want it.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I will restructure the OP as soon as possible. In the meantime, ask away!
I'm off to a tournament for now.

SPEAKING OF TOURNAMENTS, I HAS QUESTION (4 EVERYONE)

How would you bots feel about a Tournament Discussion thread? It's where we can kind of "blog" our experiences at a tournament. Date it/log it. And discuss about it among other tournament related stuff involving us. I think it would be a good hub for those new to the scene and a good way for the more experienced tourney-goers to write about what it's like to compete and how they handle themselves whether it be: playing on stream, handling clutch moments, doing something amazing, or even handing a hard loss. I would love to do this, I just don't want the thread to be only me supporting it. Then it will just look conceited to the max. If you bots aren't interested, that's fine, I'm sure I can save a story or two for the social thread. I just thought it would be a good learning experience and a fun read for a lot of ppl.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So we all know that R.O.B has angry eyes with his down throw.

But did you know he also has sad eyes when he's grabbed?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm starting to remember why I played R.O.B. in Brawl because he was terrible and I loved him anyway.

He's insane at keeping people at bay. The speed and power of a well-timed gyro is nothing short of awe-inspiring and it's fantastic at keeping massive juggernauts like Bowser and rushdown fighters like Cap at bay. The laser can pierce and bounce off of walls and floors for a crafty blindside and the arm spin is always good for reflecting projectiles and catching nearby opponents off-guard. The amount of salt I've induced with this 'bot is second only to the unyielding madness that is Duck Hunt. I love playing as R.O.B. and he's always been one of my favourite characters in Smash.

Now I'm wondering if it's worth keeping him as a secondary or putting more time and effort into him. I love zoning characters and I find that R.O.B.'s playstyle sits perfectly with me, and I believe I can go far and do great things with him. I'm reluctant to adopt such devotion to a new character, though, since I already have a lot to do right now and I want to be fair to those whom I do play. Zoners have somehow, through no conscious decision of my own, become a central feature of my roster. I feel like adding another one and seeing where I can go with it.

Do I dare? Do I dare disturb the universe play as R.O.B. more often? In a moment there will be time for decisions and revisions which a moment will reverse to consider these things, but right now, is it worth it?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'm starting to remember why I played R.O.B. in Brawl because he was terrible and I loved him anyway.

He's insane at keeping people at bay. The speed and power of a well-timed gyro is nothing short of awe-inspiring and it's fantastic at keeping massive juggernauts like Bowser and rushdown fighters like Cap at bay. The laser can pierce and bounce off of walls and floors for a crafty blindside and the arm spin is always good for reflecting projectiles and catching nearby opponents off-guard. The amount of salt I've induced with this 'bot is second only to the unyielding madness that is Duck Hunt. I love playing as R.O.B. and he's always been one of my favourite characters in Smash.

Now I'm wondering if it's worth keeping him as a secondary or putting more time and effort into him. I love zoning characters and I find that R.O.B.'s playstyle sits perfectly with me, and I believe I can go far and do great things with him. I'm reluctant to adopt such devotion to a new character, though, since I already have a lot to do right now and I want to be fair to those whom I do play. Zoners have somehow, through no conscious decision of my own, become a central feature of my roster. I feel like adding another one and seeing where I can go with it.

Do I dare? Do I dare disturb the universe play as R.O.B. more often? In a moment there will be time for decisions and revisions which a moment will reverse to consider these things, but right now, is it worth it?
I think ROB is easy to pick up, but hard to master. There are a good amount of situations where ROB has limited options and you need to be conditioned to know which ones will help you prevail, or lead to the least hurting consequence. I suppose a lot of it depends on your playstyle and the type of characters you play. You told me one very important thing: "I love playing as R.O.B." That is stupid important. Because you have to love this robot to be good with him. Because if you don't you may walk away upset at a nerfed bair or up+b or matchup. In the end, we can't tell you who to play as, but I will never tell anyone not to play ROB <3

If you want to ever train as ROB via Wi-fi, hit up our Wi-fi thread. I, and I am sure others, would be happy to play you.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think ROB is easy to pick up, but hard to master. There are a good amount of situations where ROB has limited options and you need to be conditioned to know which ones will help you prevail, or lead to the least. I suppose a lot of it depends on your playstyle and the type of characters you play. You told me one very important thing: "I love playing as R.O.B." That is stupid important. Because you have to love this robot to be good with him. Because if you don't you may walk away upset at a nerfed bair or up+b or matchup. In the end, we can't tell you who to play as, but I will never tell anyone not to play ROB <3

If you want to ever train as ROB via Wi-fi, hit up our Wi-fi thread. I, and I am sure others, would be happy to play you.

Best of luck.
Well I main Pit and Palutena and am decent with Robin and Duck Hunt. Believe me, I know all about "easy to pick up, hard to master" and "know thine enemy". I've been in too many situation where my suicidal thirst for bravado has lead me to certain doom. Those instances alone have conditioned me to stop and think about what I'm doing and whom I'm fighting.

I'm the kind of person who plays characters because I love those characters. I mained R.O.B. in Brawl because he's adorable and quirky, even though I always felt he was pretty clunky and awkward to use, and loved every moment of it~!

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I think hes more awkward now, but I'm getting the hang of him

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think hes more awkward now, but I'm getting the hang of him
That's interesting. I played him in the 3DS version when I got it and was amazed at how fluid and dynamic he feels.

Each to their own, of course. We love our Buddy either way~ <3

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Honestly, the biggest things that I'm not used to is Fsmash having so much more range and Ftilt having so much less range.

In Brawl, I used Ftilt all the time and it was a fantastic move, but now honestly it's better to just dtilt to get the chance for a trip. Fsmash is such an amazing move now, I use it all the time and it puts so much work in.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Honestly, the biggest things that I'm not used to is Fsmash having so much more range and Ftilt having so much less range.

In Brawl, I used Ftilt all the time and it was a fantastic move, but now honestly it's better to just dtilt to get the chance for a trip. Fsmash is such an amazing move now, I use it all the time and it puts so much work in.
I mainly use it now when I angle it, or when doing runaway > turnaround ftilt. Idk why they nerfed it to having the same range as dtilt. zero sense.

That's interesting. I played him in the 3DS version when I got it and was amazed at how fluid and dynamic he feels.

Each to their own, of course. We love our Buddy either way~ <3
ROB felt fluid simply because of b-reversing. He got so much more momentum out of them in Brawl (unless you have customs on).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've started to throw out an F-Smash whenever I can, solely because of its absurd range. :laugh:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

No Customs life :/
Am I the only one who's still able to use his Up Special without problems? Seriously I've played online for days, and not once has it let me down...

So we all know that R.O.B has angry eyes with his down throw.

But did you know he also has sad eyes when he's grabbed?
Too bad we can't see this in standard Smash modes, and it's only able to see in solo player modes. And we might not see it in standard smash for a while, with Nintendo not bothering to release anymore updates to the game for a while.

I've started to throw out an F-Smash whenever I can, solely because of its absurd range. :laugh:
Same here. I enjoy using it after using a low aerial and landing...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Too bad we can't see this in standard Smash modes, and it's only able to see in solo player modes. And we might not see it in standard smash for a while, with Nintendo not bothering to release anymore updates to the game for a while.
Well, Ninty mostly meant that in the way of balance-based updates. I imagine they'll probably fix R.O.B.'s lack of emotion outside of singleplayer modes at some point down the line.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, Ninty mostly meant that in the way of balance-based updates. I imagine they'll probably fix R.O.B.'s lack of emotion outside of singleplayer modes at some point down the line.
I'd like to see that happen.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Am I the only one who's still able to use his Up Special without problems? Seriously I've played online for days, and not once has it let me down...
This is his up+b being compared to Brawl's Up+b. Popular opinion places the Brawl up B as being better; as do I.

His horizontal momentum was drastically nerfed. But there are ways around it I suppose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom