• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
This is his up+b being compared to Brawl's Up+b. Popular opinion places the Brawl up B as being better; as do I.

His horizontal momentum was drastically nerfed. But there are way around it I suppose.
Yeah his upB in this game is nowhere near as good as it used to be in brawl. I'm not saying its bad just nowhere near as good as it once was. Though his custom 3 upB is pretty much like his brawl version.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah his upB in this game is nowhere near as good as it used to be in brawl. I'm not saying its bad just nowhere near as good as it once was. Though his custom 3 upB is pretty much like his brawl version.
I would even argue better. Even with the amount of fuel that is taken away

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This is his up+b being compared to Brawl's Up+b. Popular opinion places the Brawl up B as being better; as do I.

His horizontal momentum was drastically nerfed. But there are way around it I suppose.
Well that I can understand, but from what I've been able to do, his new Up Special hasn't changed things much for me.

Figures that I only have normal and custom 2 Up Specials unlocked...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I can't say I've hurt much by the Up B nerf either. I guess I under-utilised it in Brawl.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
To get around it, I do a couple of things:

When recovering high, have your back facing the stage you're recovering to.
Since we have to use a move to break out of our Up B state, you can use bair to shift your momentum. Meanwhile, during the bair, you can be holding shield just in case you want to throw out a b-rev gyro cancel.
Also, with your back towards the stage, dair will give you a backwards momentum, and it will stall you for a bit. That's good when waiting out a juggling/gimping attempt. I use dair even when I'm recovering low, just to wait out attempts to keep me off the stage. Fastfall nair into buffered roll is a good option to landing as well.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
To get around it, I do a couple of things:

When recovering high, have your back facing the stage you're recovering to.
Since we have to use a move to break out of our Up B state, you can use bair to shift your momentum. Meanwhile, during the bair, you can be holding shield just in case you want to throw out a b-rev gyro cancel.
Also, with your back towards the stage, dair will give you a backwards momentum, and it will stall you for a bit. That's good when waiting out a juggling/gimping attempt. I use dair even when I'm recovering low, just to wait out attempts to keep me off the stage. Fastfall nair into buffered roll is a good option to landing as well.
Honestly in this game I rarely use Bair that much...I don't know why I just feel it has too much lag. Though maybe I should use it more for recovering and getting back on stage like you said. I mostly use Nair for recovering since it has insane reach, counters a lot of moves and it has almost no lag. Nair is like my favorite move for R.O.B. followed by gyro.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Honestly in this game I rarely use Bair that much...I don't know why I just feel it has too much lag. Though maybe I should use it more for recovering and getting back on stage like you said. I mostly use Nair for recovering since it has insane reach, counters a lot of moves and it has almost no lag. Nair is like my favorite move for R.O.B. followed by gyro.
Bair is very situational in this game unlike in Brawl. Doing it off stage especially when there is a good chance for your opponent to airdodge is okay offensively. But it is best used to assist recovery/shifting momentum.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I was able to play my friend a bunch this week, my R.O.B. vs. his Kirby. And I'm proud to say, Kirby hasn't beaten me once. I'm not having any problems with recovery either, he usually tries to kill me in mid-air recovery by using his Down Special, but neutral air works out against that in my experience. And Down Throw/Up throw to Up Air works almost FLAWLESSLY. I know we've already been talking about how great this stuff is, and I just felt I should give my report, even though it's a good deal the same.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I was able to play my friend a bunch this week, my R.O.B. vs. his Kirby. And I'm proud to say, Kirby hasn't beaten me once. I'm not having any problems with recovery either, he usually tries to kill me in mid-air recovery by using his Down Special, but neutral air works out against that in my experience. And Down Throw/Up throw to Up Air works almost FLAWLESSLY. I know we've already been talking about how great this stuff is, and I just felt I should give my report, even though it's a good deal the same.
Nice! Also yeah Nair and Dthrow to Uair are like my favorite things about R.O.B. Actually R.O.B. has a lot of good combos now that I think about it. My personal favorites being 2x Dtilt -> gyro -> laser and Dash attack -> Fair.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't usually follow up my Dtilts with gyros, perhaps I should try that and see how it goes. Usually I follow up a Dtilt with a Dthrow instead just because I like the position it puts my opponent in.

Not a combo, but a fantastic little thing to do is a fading Nair into Fsmash. So many times this has worked because they see the nair and go to punish it but since Fsmash's range is as long as the great wall of China, they get hit by that right after.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I don't usually follow up my Dtilts with gyros, perhaps I should try that and see how it goes. Usually I follow up a Dtilt with a Dthrow instead just because I like the position it puts my opponent in.

Not a combo, but a fantastic little thing to do is a fading Nair into Fsmash. So many times this has worked because they see the nair and go to punish it but since Fsmash's range is as long as the great wall of China, they get hit by that right after.
Hmm I never heard of that before...I definitely got to try this out! Also yeah I forgot about Dtilt to grab.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'd be all about that Mr. E.
Awesome to hear! I'll keep considering it. I think if I do it, I might start with APEX.

Also, careful with referring to me as "Mr. E" there's a ROB main in Brawl from OH that went by that, and there's a Marth main in Smash 4 from NY that is going by that now. Confusing, I know xD

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Any general tips on utilizing R.O.B. Spike? I can only seem to hit it when my opponent grabs the ledge a second time and loses invincibility

B_Bech

Smash Cadet
NNID
B_Bech
3DS FC
2578-3111-2218
Any general tips on utilizing R.O.B. Spike? I can only seem to hit it when my opponent grabs the ledge a second time and loses invincibility
Reads and mastering the timing. Aim for where you think they are going to be... Not where they are.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Reads and mastering the timing. Aim for where you think they are going to be... Not where they are.
Thanks for the advice, yeah it seems like his down air has a pretty big hit box but I'm not too knowledgable on those kind of things. So far I kill mainly with uair, up choke, fsmash, usmash and top gimps, but I love getting those disrespectful spikes.

Kraklnpop

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kraklnpop
3DS FC
0044-3300-5357
Switch FC
SW 5400 9544 8229
I was wondering about the type of play style that Rob has. I've been told that he has a good defensive play with his Beam and Gyro. However I've been told that the way I play Rob is more aggressive than most tournament players, I go in with dashes grabs and fsmash and dsmash. Is it a good idea to play aggressive with Rob?

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
While he generally depends on projectile play, using his laser and gyro to keep players off-balance, ROB can also be used aggressively to great effect. If you like that kind of play, go for it. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't forget to use his projectiles, his laser is great for pressure and forcing people to approach you. Up close you should use gyro to create openings for grabs/smashes/combos. It comes out near-instantly, and thus an important tool.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Where are the reflector hitboxes in Rob's side-b? It seems very random, sometimes it reflects and other times it just doesn't?! I've looked all over the forums and the net, no one seems to know specifics. That or I am blind and need to be pointed in the right direction.
Also: am I crazy or can the duration of the side-B be adjusted? Moving forward then moving back - does this make it shorter? It has really weird properties when it hits a shield, misses, hits a shield, if there's a bit of online lag the duration is all but unpredictable.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Where are the reflector hitboxes in Rob's side-b? It seems very random, sometimes it reflects and other times it just doesn't?! I've looked all over the forums and the net, no one seems to know specifics. That or I am blind and need to be pointed in the right direction.
Also: am I crazy or can the duration of the side-B be adjusted? Moving forward then moving back - does this make it shorter? It has really weird properties when it hits a shield, misses, hits a shield, if there's a bit of online lag the duration is all but unpredictable.
The reflector works at the beginning of the side b startup. As far as I know, as long as rob is hit in the beginning of this, he will reflect. Idk about on his head or not. At least where his spinning arms are. I would say the reflector stays out for at least 1 second - 1.5 seconds. The rest of his side b is used as a melee option only.

You can increase the duration by tapping b. I don't advise this if you have already caught someone in your side b since it gives them a chance to DI out before landing the final blow which if you miss, you are very vulnerable.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Sam0s

Smash Rookie
NNID
Super-Smash-Bro4
Lets talk about gyro combos. I can imagine theres a lot the only one Ive managed to pull off one by jumping above a player throwing the gyro down then immediately dair. Its like a garunteed meteor smash to death if done near the edge. Do you guys know any? How can you utilize the gyro to combo in general. whether youre throwing it or when its spinning on the ground?

I'm totally new to the community btw and only been to one tourney. But I'm excited to get more involed and meet people!

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Lets talk about gyro combos. I can imagine theres a lot the only one Ive managed to pull off one by jumping above a player throwing the gyro down then immediately dair. Its like a garunteed meteor smash to death if done near the edge. Do you guys know any? How can you utilize the gyro to combo in general. whether youre throwing it or when its spinning on the ground?

I'm totally new to the community btw and only been to one tourney. But I'm excited to get more involed and meet people!
Z drop gyro > FF nair to recatch gyro & hit opponent > throw gyro.
Same works with fair recatch​

gyro > upsmash (any smash really):
To do this one, Z drop gyro in front of opponent to cover roll option or get up roll option. Be in the direction the gyro will send them (since the direction you are facing when you release the gyro will send them in them in the same direction once hit). Id the opponent rolls into gyro, free smash.

Similarly, z drop gyro into jab 1 > grab > dthrow > uair
Not really a combo but fully charged gyro into shield > side b for shield poke (might take 2 gyros. test this out)

Z drop gyro > unfinished landing u air > u tilt/usmash > if you utilted, uair them next

gyro > baby laser (unsure if guaranteed)

These are a few off the top of my head.
------------------------

@ Kraklnpop Kraklnpop , I'll get back to you when I have more time.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks Mr E. A head shot does sometimes work. But really it's "sometimes", with no precision in my statement, if the arms are angled or I don't really know.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think ROB is easy to pick up, but hard to master.
Maybe it is because I am not a very good R.O.B. playing only on FG now but I always thought and still think that R.O.B. is an easy character to play and to master both in SSBB as in Smash 4 because he is so campy and he has such a forgiving recovery.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Maybe it is because I am not a very good R.O.B. playing only on FG now but I always thought and still think that R.O.B. is an easy character to play and to master both in SSBB as in Smash 4 because he is so campy and he has such a forgiving recovery.
The biggest problem with our recovery is it's linear.
The biggest problem with our camp game is it's predictable.
Top players will get around both of these, sadly =/

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The biggest problem with our recovery is it's linear.
The biggest problem with our camp game is it's predictable.
Top players will get around both of these, sadly =/
My buddy still can't beat me, and that's good enough for me.

Kraklnpop

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kraklnpop
3DS FC
0044-3300-5357
Switch FC
SW 5400 9544 8229
I was wondering how the nair can work, I try using its but end up failing it. What would be the best time to use it?

Kraklnpop

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kraklnpop
3DS FC
0044-3300-5357
Switch FC
SW 5400 9544 8229
A
I was wondering how the nair can work, I try using its but end up failing it. What would be the best time to use it?
also I was wondering if could spar with someone to see how well I play

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Hey yall got some general questions on ROB doing b reversals.

I can b reverse the gyro 99 percent of the time but b reversing the laser seems to be hit or miss for me. Is the input to do that more time strict?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hey yall got some general questions on ROB doing b reversals.

I can b reverse the gyro 99 percent of the time but b reversing the laser seems to be hit or miss for me. Is the input to do that more time strict?
It isn't.
The tricky thing about it is that you have to gain momentum to the left or right first, then let go of the stick, then input B, then flick the stick in the opposite direction. Also I don't know if you're referencing actual b-reversing (part 2 of video below) or just turnaround specials (part 1 of video below). It's easy to get the two confused and the inputs are different for both.

Here is a Brawl video detailing it. The inputs are the same:

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Sam0s

Smash Rookie
NNID
Super-Smash-Bro4
Z drop gyro > FF nair to recatch gyro & hit opponent > throw gyro.
Same works with fair recatch​

gyro > upsmash (any smash really):
To do this one, Z drop gyro in front of opponent to cover roll option or get up roll option. Be in the direction the gyro will send them (since the direction you are facing when you release the gyro will send them in them in the same direction once hit). Id the opponent rolls into gyro, free smash.

Similarly, z drop gyro into jab 1 > grab > dthrow > uair
Not really a combo but fully charged gyro into shield > side b for shield poke (might take 2 gyros. test this out)

Z drop gyro > unfinished landing u air > u tilt/usmash > if you utilted, uair them next

gyro > baby laser (unsure if guaranteed)

These are a few off the top of my head.
------------------------

@ Kraklnpop Kraklnpop , I'll get back to you when I have more time.
Thanks man!

Sam0s

Smash Rookie
NNID
Super-Smash-Bro4
How can one most effectively use ROBs Nair. I find it useful but sometimes find myself getting hit during the start up of it, since its a bit slow to start.

How do people use ROBs nair? I use his fair a bit just to keep some spacing and keeping myy opponent at bay.

Any tips/suggestions anyone?

BestFriendSkull

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-3890-9494
How can one most effectively use ROBs Nair. I find it useful but sometimes find myself getting hit during the start up of it, since its a bit slow to start.

How do people use ROBs nair? I use his fair a bit just to keep some spacing and keeping myy opponent at bay.

Any tips/suggestions anyone?
I'll admit I've been wondering this myself but I have noticed one really good place to use it is against rush-centric characters. When they charge you dash back, jump, quickly NAir and then hold forward again. What this should result in is you getting back away from them and stopping their approach cause if they keep charging the NAir will smack them. You'll probably end up at decent range to throw out a gyro or laser as well. Also if you're in the air and your opponent's behind you you're generally better off with NAir than BAir if you want to hit them cause NAir covers much more ground if they fast fall and if they air dodge you can get away safely.

Top Bottom