• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
R.O.B. General Discussion

This is the general discussion of everyone's favourite Robotic Operating Buddy, R.O.B.
He looks so awesome in this game.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Was just about to make one of these.
Sup bb doll.
a/s/l?
([^_^]

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So does being the OP of a character general discussion make me famous?

Who wants me to sign their R.O.B.s:troll:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
R.O.B. looks great in Brawl but this is beautiful.

He looks much more like his toy appearance while still looking like an awesome advanced robot, his stunning, his movement is fantastic, I love it. The only thing I ight miss are his Brawl eyes, but he still looks great and I can't complain.

I'm so happy, R.O.B. was the best thing to come out of that leak, doubters get proven wrong. I love this!!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I am certainly am,

And just to see if there is any pattern with R.O.B. mains, who else do you plan to main?
I'm also maining Kirby, Rosalina, Greninja and Mr Game & Watch.

(Vote yes if he will be a secondary)

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Still gonna play the hell out of him and G&W. The range on that nair looks insane.
Also going to play Kirby, Falcon, Ness, and maybe Ganondorf, Rosalina, Samus, Lucina depending on how well I work with them.

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
I'm afraid R.O.B. is not my main, but one of my favorites against my friends. I was so sure he wouldn't be back. I love being wrong.
To help you with your research I'm maining Ness, with Peach, Luigi, Wario, Dedede, Olimar, R.O.B., Dr. Mario, Villager, Ludwig, Mii Fighter, and Duck Doggie all backing me up depending on my mood.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Warning Received
He looks really cool! I personally really like his new eyes.

He was one of my very first mains in Brawl actually. Stopped using him and G&W for a long awhile though because I started to get good with other characters. I might actually main him again! :chuckle:

edit: yep too hype gonna add to my long list of mains

Last edited by a moderator:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Gonna try Greninja/Duck Hunt Dog/Dr. Mario/many others, but I always end up going full circle and maining ROB, so I guess we'll see this time around

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
HOLY S***

Awesome new Final Smash is awesome.
This one has slo mo(Warning: The volume is LOUD):
Does ROB look different in these two video's or is it just me? The first vid he seems taller, has a smaller head, and a smaller bottom. The second one he has a larger head and bigger bottom, looks like his Brawl appearance.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ROB was my main in brawl and he will be in this

In fact thanks to his buffs and his new final smash he may be a double main.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Does ROB look different in these two video's or is it just me? The first vid he seems taller, has a smaller head, and a smaller bottom. The second one he has a larger head and bigger bottom, looks like his Brawl appearance.
The difference is the formatting. Note how the second video is shrunk down, to preserve the original 3DS screen format, while the former was crammed into the whole screen, for a more full-screen experience at the cost of distorting the image.

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
So I know you have to win 70 VS matches to unlock ROB, but has anyone found the alternative way to unlock him yet?

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
I loved playing ROB in Brawl, and I'm very excited to play him in this game too. I love his new render!
So I know you have to win 70 VS matches to unlock ROB, but has anyone found the alternative way to unlock him yet?
I've heard that you have to beat classic mode with every NES era character, but I can't confirm that

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
any one got any pics of his palette swaps
I don't have a picture, but they're the same as in Brawl, except he has two new ones: a red one with black highlights that resembles the Virtual Boy, and a turquoise coloured one (not 100% on the second one).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't have a picture, but they're the same as in Brawl, except he has two new ones: a red one with black highlights that resembles the Virtual Boy, and a turquoise coloured one (not 100% on the second one).
thanks, the virtual boy one is pretty cool

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The duck hunt dog thread got me thinking

They think its possible a duck hunt stage for the wii u version

You think R.O.B could get the same treatment with a gyromite stage for the wii u version.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Dunno if it's been mentioned here yet, but his side-b isn't completely useless now! It racks up damage quickly, enemies can get caught in it instead of just being grazed on the edge of the attack and it has a kind of finisher at the end of it. I have a feeling that on it's own (as well as his buffed f-smash I guess) will improve his viability significantly.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, I guess other than ICies being cut (really got my hopes for IC DLC), I guess this roster isn't bad. I've got 2/3 mains back, and I've got 4 new punching bags. But with my Robotic Operating Brawler back, I guess It makes up for ICies not being here a bit. I've just started looking at some of the gameplay from the stream and I'm LOVING his new FS. Does anyone know what it is called?

The only thing I don't like...his eyes in his character art. They look so lifeless. However in game, they don't so, I guess that's a good thing, considering how you don't play the character art, you play the character.

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if it's been mentioned here yet, but his side-b isn't completely useless now! It racks up damage quickly, enemies can get caught in it instead of just being grazed on the edge of the attack and it has a kind of finisher at the end of it. I have a feeling that on it's own (as well as his buffed f-smash I guess) will improve his viability significantly.
I'm watching shofu's stream and he just decimated a Fox with the side-B finisher. It looks like the window for reflecting projectiles is a lot wider too.

ROB looks so much better now, I'm so excited :D

Last edited:

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I plan on co maining rob again as I did in brawl. He took me far in many tournies and now I expect even more so :).

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Guys, I just want to say....even though I'm not a ROB user....
This guy....he looks sexy as all hell this time around. :3

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I loved playing ROB in Brawl, and I'm very excited to play him in this game too. I love his new render!

I've heard that you have to beat classic mode with every NES era character, but I can't confirm that
Unlock methods are follows: Play 70 matches, or you can beat classic mode with Mii (who you can unlock by making a mii on your 3DS) to get Duck Hunt, then beat classic mode with Duck Hunt to get Game&Watch, then beat classic mode on intensity 7.0 or higher with Game&Watch, to get ROB. The latter is how I am going to try to unlock him, because I feel like I can go hardcore on classic mode. Ideally, a perfect run could unlock ROB in 6 matches.

Source:http://www.ssbwiki.com/Unlockable_character

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Unlock methods are follows: Play 70 matches, or you can beat classic mode with Mii (who you can unlock by making a mii on your 3DS) to get Duck Hunt, then beat classic mode with Duck Hunt to get Game&Watch, then beat classic mode on intensity 7.0 or higher with Game&Watch, to get ROB. The latter is how I am going to try to unlock him, because I feel like I can go hardcore on classic mode. Ideally, a perfect run could unlock ROB in 6 matches.

Source:http://www.ssbwiki.com/Unlockable_character
What? Only 120 matches to unlock all characters? Heck, I'm doing it that way (not because I want to go the easy way, I just want to have my full roster ASAP).

Anyways, take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MX6SmEBjIw&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ
At 0:38, does it look like R.O.B.'s forward air has a small meteor or spike potential?

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
What? Only 120 matches to unlock all characters? Heck, I'm doing it that way (not because I want to go the easy way, I just want to have my full roster ASAP).

Anyways, take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MX6SmEBjIw&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ
At 0:38, does it look like R.O.B.'s forward air has a small meteor or spike potential?
Cool video. That will certainly help me catalog ROBs moveset a bit. As for your question, It does look like it has spike potential. Also, the video revealed that ROBs Up B still functions as in brawl.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Cool video. That will certainly help me catalog ROBs moveset a bit. As for your question, It does look like it has spike potential. Also, the video revealed that ROBs Up B still functions as in brawl.
Thank goodness the most OP recovery in the game remains...I really enjoy the finisher on his Side Special, and his new animations for his Side Smash and Down Smash are wicked awesome. I've also heard (though it's not shown in the video) that he has a new animation for when he fails to use a gyro (this can be seen when he tries to use a second gyro while one is already on the stage).

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Thank goodness the most OP recovery in the game remains...I really enjoy the finisher on his Side Special, and his new animations for his Side Smash and Down Smash are wicked awesome. I've also heard (though it's not shown in the video) that he has a new animation for when he fails to use a gyro (this can be seen when he tries to use a second gyro while one is already on the stage).
I have cataloged part of ROBs moveset on my thread. I covered the basic attacks and Aerials so far. I will cover his smashes and special attacks soon(Awaiting more/better information). Also, I have seen the gyro animation, and I think it is kind of funny. That confused look on his face...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I have cataloged part of ROBs moveset on my thread. I covered the basic attacks and Aerials so far. I will cover his smashes and special attacks soon(Awaiting more/better information). Also, I have seen the gyro animation, and I think it is kind of funny. That confused look on his face...
Mind sharing it? I'd like to see it.

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
I am certainly am,

And just to see if there is any pattern with R.O.B. mains, who else do you plan to main?
I'm also maining Kirby, Rosalina, Greninja and Mr Game & Watch.

(Vote yes if he will be a secondary)
Probably Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr.

Top Bottom