• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey there! I've been an avid R.O.B player since Brawl, and despite picking up Jigglypuff and a few other characters the Operating Buddy is still my best by a decent margin. Yet... somehow I never ended up actually coming here, despite contributing regularly to various other threads for my other mains! I aim to fix that.

Two questions: First, are there any tricks and the like I need to know? (Not counting tech- I'm already going to hook up that thread and practice my z-drop aerials and such. I mean just little things that I might need to consider while playing, such as the mindset I want to be in when I'm Rob.)

Second, is DA -> SHFF'd Fair -> Ultilt (angled up) reliable? It's something I use on my friends often enough, but I'm fairly certain none of them DI properly.
Do you know about the Gyrospike?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Hey there! I've been an avid R.O.B player since Brawl, and despite picking up Jigglypuff and a few other characters the Operating Buddy is still my best by a decent margin. Yet... somehow I never ended up actually coming here, despite contributing regularly to various other threads for my other mains! I aim to fix that.

Two questions: First, are there any tricks and the like I need to know? (Not counting tech- I'm already going to hook up that thread and practice my z-drop aerials and such. I mean just little things that I might need to consider while playing, such as the mindset I want to be in when I'm Rob.)

Second, is DA -> SHFF'd Fair -> Ultilt (angled up) reliable? It's something I use on my friends often enough, but I'm fairly certain none of them DI properly.
B reversing gyro and gyro cancelling are pretty important. Also learning the auto canceling timing on aerials.

I'm not sure about that whole combo, but da usually does lead into fair. ROB doesn't have a lot of cool combos, so most of it is made up of DI reads and just whatever you come up with at the time.

Remember down throw to up air though.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
B reversing gyro and gyro cancelling are pretty important. Also learning the auto canceling timing on aerials.

I'm not sure about that whole combo, but da usually does lead into fair. ROB doesn't have a lot of cool combos, so most of it is made up of DI reads and just whatever you come up with at the time.

Remember down throw to up air though.
ALWAYS remember down throw to up air.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Do you know about the Gyrospike?
Whats this about gyrospiking I keep hearing about? This is like the third time I heard about it but never seen it. Can you explain to me what this is about?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Throwing a gyro on top of your opponent from right near the ledge, then Down Air. The gyro hit will send them right past the ledge, and into Down Air's main hitbox. Once it connects, it's all over.

It's All Fiction

Smash Rookie

I'm guessing you meant F-tilt angled up? Not sure, but the Dair sounds techable. Also sounds like it would only work near 0%

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Whats this about gyrospiking I keep hearing about? This is like the third time I heard about it but never seen it. Can you explain to me what this is about?
I'll let these vids answer it <3

GYRO SPIKING EXAMPLES BELOW! :D
https://youtu.be/rwKLf-8asZI?t=2m32s
https://youtu.be/NevGvfFvpk8?t=13m18s
Oh you like footstolling too? k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGkEkVUwXE
Oh you wanna do 2 gyro spikes and kill someone from 0 to death? k
https://vine.co/v/ehD0VmBTjAz

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I'm guessing you meant F-tilt angled up? Not sure, but the Dair sounds techable. Also sounds like it would only work near 0%
DA stands for Dash Attack, but yes I did actually mean Ftilt. Thanks for noticing that.

Rob Hoo-Ha, I did know about. Gyrospiking..... I like the sound of this. I'm assuming you'd have to z-drop the gyro in order to get the Dair hitbox out in time?

Thank you, all!

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
What do you guys think about (when midair) Footstool > Dair? I've gotten the air follow up every time I've successfully landed the footstool.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I've tried it in training mode, apparently you can maneuver somewhat while in the tumble animation? Yoshi manages to escape me every time.

It's certainly something cool to consider, though.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
What do you guys think about (when midair) Footstool > Dair? I've gotten the air follow up every time I've successfully landed the footstool.
I've tried it in training mode, apparently you can maneuver somewhat while in the tumble animation? Yoshi manages to escape me every time.

It's certainly something cool to consider, though.
^ =[

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I actually just discovered that myself, but yoshi is a pretty biased test. He has some of the best air mobility in the game. Should we make a mini list of MUs this works in?

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Throwing a gyro on top of your opponent from right near the ledge, then Down Air. The gyro hit will send them right past the ledge, and into Down Air's main hitbox. Once it connects, it's all over.
Thank you for explaining! I figured it was something like that...but thanks for clearing it up for me.

I'll let these vids answer it <3

GYRO SPIKING EXAMPLES BELOW! :D
https://youtu.be/rwKLf-8asZI?t=2m32s
https://youtu.be/NevGvfFvpk8?t=13m18s
Oh you like footstolling too? k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGkEkVUwXE
Oh you wanna do 2 gyro spikes and kill someone from 0 to death? k
https://vine.co/v/ehD0VmBTjAz

Enjoy!
Wow awesome matches you got here! Thanks for the videos! I should practice using this technique more.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thank you for explaining! I figured it was something like that...but thanks for clearing it up for me.

Wow awesome matches you got here! Thanks for the videos! I should practice using this technique more.
Not a problem.

The_ViRu5

Smash Rookie
This is my first time posting in the ROB boards, and I haven't read the entire Q&A, so I apologize if this question was already asked. What are everyone's thoughts on the trip gyro vs the standard gyro? I'm pretty sure either 1231 or 1233 is the best custom set for ROB, but I'm undecided between the two.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This is my first time posting in the ROB boards, and I haven't read the entire Q&A, so I apologize if this question was already asked. What are everyone's thoughts on the trip gyro vs the standard gyro? I'm pretty sure either 1231 or 1233 is the best custom set for ROB, but I'm undecided between the two.
Personally, I barely ever use customs, so I like standard gyro. But when I do use customs, trip gyro is best. I guess it all comes down to what you like and your play style. Basic gyro does it's job well, while trip gyro, in my experience, doesn't always work, but when it does, it sets up good combos.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
@ The_ViRu5 The_ViRu5 I prefer regular gyro. Trip is a good sidegrade, but regular is better 80% of the time. Having an active hitbox on the ground is way too useful to give up.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I prefer to run 1131... with the only custom being the up+B. Im not a big fan of the trip gyro due to ROB's U-throw KO potential being nerfed. Plus, I find that the trajectory of the gyro isn't to my liking as well as the fact that the range that's optimal & safe for a gyro shot is often times too far to really capitalize on the trip for a grab or other FU. I could see running an additional rotor arm custom, and I think the turn-around rotor arm is roughly equivalent to the standard in terms of raw utility, while the standard laser is best.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yeah 1131 is my go to as well.
i get so many gyro > upsmashes with default gyro.
and gyro > spike.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I run 1123. I honestly have no problem with reflector arm.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Shoot. Just found out that the red and white R.O.B. Amiibo will be Japan only. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Dunno how, but I'm still going to have to get that one instead of the gray and white dull one...

The_ViRu5

Smash Rookie
I actually just discovered that myself, but yoshi is a pretty biased test. He has some of the best air mobility in the game. Should we make a mini list of MUs this works in?
That's a good idea. I'd imagine it works on most of the cast. I know it works on pika
https://gfycat.com/WanAdeptBarnowl

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Personally, I prefer to use the Fire Gyro myself as far as customs go. It deals more damage when it first gets launched AND it keeps it closer to me, allowing me to more easily pick it up. I generally go default for everything else, though if the turn-around rotor arm still reflects projectiles I might swap to that. (It comes out faster than normal rotor arm, right?)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
That's a good idea. I'd imagine it works on most of the cast. I know it works on pika
https://gfycat.com/WanAdeptBarnowl
It CAN work. Not guaranteed tho as far as I can tell. Especially if they have some horizontal momentum going into the footstool animation.
I run 1123. I honestly have no problem with reflector arm.
I don't like the side b reflector. Even when vs'ing chibo last weekend in tourney, I didn't see it helping him. If when he reflected, you just block it, or dodge it and punish you. At least when you have default side b, you can be a bit more evasive and mind-gamey.

I would use wide-angled laser if I knew for sure customs were here forever. It opens the door to a lot of follow up and kill opportunities. But I'm not about to mess up 7 yrs of laser practice just yet

Personally, I prefer to use the Fire Gyro myself as far as customs go. It deals more damage when it first gets launched AND it keeps it closer to me, allowing me to more easily pick it up. I generally go default for everything else, though if the turn-around rotor arm still reflects projectiles I might swap to that. (It comes out faster than normal rotor arm, right?)
Def try up b # 3. If used properly, it is twice as good as default with no drawbacks.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It CAN work. Not guaranteed tho as far as I can tell. Especially if they have some horizontal momentum going into the footstool animation.

I don't like the side b reflector. Even when vs'ing chibo last weekend in tourney, I didn't see it helping him. If when he reflected, you just block it, or dodge it and punish you. At least when you have default side b, you can be a bit more evasive and mind-gamey.

I would use wide-angled laser if I knew for sure customs were here forever. It opens the door to a lot of follow up and kill opportunities. But I'm not about to mess up 7 yrs of laser practice just yet

Def try up b # 3. If used properly, it is twice as good as default with no drawbacks.
Default Arm Rotor and 3rd custom Robo-Burner definitely work for mind games. I love dropping near the stage, then just flying upwards with 3rd Robo-Burner. Especially when the opponent goes for something like an up smash and they just whiff it. :chuckle:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973

The High-Speed Burner is kind of weird, but screwing around with it it IS seemingly much better in terms of distance. It does have drawbacks, though- it gives a lot less vertical recovery (unless you're holding the button down for both, instead of tapping to extend the length- which defeats the purpose of using this custom to begin with), and the lower fuel combined with that makes us even more supsceptible to gimps than we already are. Plus it recharges a lot slower from what I can tell, so there's that... The ridiculous boost is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm a little wary of this one at the moment. If there's something I'm missing, please tell me.
EDIT: okay, never mind on this one. The timing on the taps is sort of weird, but i figured out how to use this thing properly.

I tested out the Reflector Arm, though, and ho boy...I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually willing to give it a chance. The only thing I really use the rotor arm for reflecting projectiles (which, it's not very good at doing even that) and the occasional offstage death-by-misinput, so the better startup on this thingy is very convincing. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been mentioned more, really, at least as opposed to the default.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'm going to make a video soon on how to properly use custom up 3. Just in case for people that might not fully grasp it.

The_ViRu5

Smash Rookie

The custom laser does less damage and knock-back. I don't see why you'd want use that. Also, the side-b reflector is really good. The normal side-b is garbage. The reflector is actually useable and not nearly as laggy as the default. It's reflecting hitbox can be extended by mashing B and it as a hitbox at the end of it. The only downfall is that you can't move during it. If you're not using it you're missing out ;)
http://gfycat.com/WaryVainBufeo

But yeah, his custom up-b is definitely his best custom by far. I'm gonna miss it if they do decide to ban customs after evo.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
The High-Speed Burner is kind of weird, but screwing around with it it IS seemingly much better in terms of distance. It does have drawbacks, though- it gives a lot less vertical recovery (unless you're holding the button down for both, instead of tapping to extend the length- which defeats the purpose of using this custom to begin with), and the lower fuel combined with that makes us even more supsceptible to gimps than we already are. Plus it recharges a lot slower from what I can tell, so there's that... The ridiculous boost is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm a little wary of this one at the moment. If there's something I'm missing, please tell me.
EDIT: okay, never mind on this one. The timing on the taps is sort of weird, but i figured out how to use this thing properly.
Another useful thing of custom up+b 3 is the fact that you can convert a string at higher perecents into a successful off-the-edge (or off-the-top) KO. A lot of times, an opponent may not have enough % to die from something like an F- or B-throw, or an F-smash... if used from near the ledge. In that case, if you're feeling ballsy... you can burst out with custom up+B (gives you a similar boost akin to Brawl's glidetoss to up+B) and net an F-air or B-air for a surprise, possibly mid% KO.

Also, you can use it similarly to KO off the top. I do that quite a bit. Last tournament, I literally carried someone who wasn't familiar with the custom from 0-death (at like... 50%) with D-Throw-->U-Air-->Up+B Boost -->U-air -->Up+B Boost --> U-air. I also netted a surprise KO to seal a set vs a villager in a CLOSE set. I was actually down in percent due to losing a stock early w/ not enough time to make up the percent (like... I had less than a minute to tack on 70%) and D-thow to U-air or U-throw weren't going to kill. So I went for D-throw-->U-air. U-air sent him too far for me to FU again (had to burn the double jump to get the first U-air) so I up+B'd & barely hit him with the last 2 hits of it for the KO & set win with like 20 seconds left.

Stuff like THAT is why custom up+B 3 is superior... lol

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
The custom laser does less damage and knock-back. I don't see why you'd want use that.
Less knock back = more combos. Our laser hits you up in this game unlike Brawl which knocked you away and secured more off stage kills. But the knockback reduce wouldn't be enough to not kill you if you throw or attack someone to the upper blast zone, you have about an 80/100 degree angle to laser ppl with and secure a kill off the top.

The_ViRu5

Smash Rookie
Less knock back = more combos. Our laser hits you up in this game unlike Brawl which knocked you away and secured more off stage kills. But the knockback reduce wouldn't be enough to not kill you if you throw or attack someone to the upper blast zone, you have about an 80/100 degree angle to laser ppl with and secure a kill off the top.
The fact that it's a projectile means you probably will be hitting people far away, which means they are probably too far away to follow up with anything. It also does less %, which hurts ROB's camp game. Being able to angle it super high up is nice, but it has lower knockback, so I'm not sure if it would be good at killing off the top unless they are nearly off-screen, like you said. Also, unfortunately, it's only in one of ROB's evo custom sets (2233) so you'd have to use the trip gyro with it if you wanted to use the wide-angle laser in a custom legal tournament setting anyways.

Even with that being said, it would be pretty hype getting an 80 degree snipe that kills off the top xD

I wish instead of doing less % and knockback, the wide-angle beam just took longer to get a full charge or something. Then I'd definitely try using it.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
The fact that it's a projectile means you probably will be hitting people far away, which means they are probably too far away to follow up with anything. It also does less %, which hurts ROB's camp game. Being able to angle it super high up is nice, but it has lower knockback, so I'm not sure if it would be good at killing off the top unless they are nearly off-screen, like you said. Also, unfortunately, it's only in one of ROB's evo custom sets (2233) so you'd have to use the trip gyro with it if you wanted to use the wide-angle laser in a custom legal tournament setting anyways.

Even with that being said, it would be pretty hype getting an 80 degree snipe that kills off the top xD

I wish instead of doing less % and knockback, the wide-angle beam just took longer to get a full charge or something. Then I'd definitely try using it.
We could def change the top 10 customs sets. Just gotta whine enough haha
And I get baby lasers to up airs a lot since ppl can close the gap during ROB's start up animation.
And the knock back is plenty enough for off the top kills. I used it for a while in friendlies, just don't want to make the transformation over since customs might not be here to stay. Not worth losing 7 yrs of laser practice over something possibly temporary.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Another useful thing of custom up+b 3 is the fact that you can convert a string at higher perecents into a successful off-the-edge (or off-the-top) KO. A lot of times, an opponent may not have enough % to die from something like an F- or B-throw, or an F-smash... if used from near the ledge. In that case, if you're feeling ballsy... you can burst out with custom up+B (gives you a similar boost akin to Brawl's glidetoss to up+B) and net an F-air or B-air for a surprise, possibly mid% KO.

Also, you can use it similarly to KO off the top. I do that quite a bit. Last tournament, I literally carried someone who wasn't familiar with the custom from 0-death (at like... 50%) with D-Throw-->U-Air-->Up+B Boost -->U-air -->Up+B Boost --> U-air. I also netted a surprise KO to seal a set vs a villager in a CLOSE set. I was actually down in percent due to losing a stock early w/ not enough time to make up the percent (like... I had less than a minute to tack on 70%) and D-thow to U-air or U-throw weren't going to kill. So I went for D-throw-->U-air. U-air sent him too far for me to FU again (had to burn the double jump to get the first U-air) so I up+B'd & barely hit him with the last 2 hits of it for the KO & set win with like 20 seconds left.

Stuff like THAT is why custom up+B 3 is superior... lol
Okay, that is admittedly pretty awesome. It's something I tried with the default a while back and failed, but of course this one can close the gap much faster.

Time to reprogram myself to use this whenever I use customs...

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
ok two questions I have about ROB.
1. what playstyle would he be identified as?
2. what are some characters/playstyles that can handle his weaknesses.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think R.O.B. is more of an all-around character. Not too reliant on one aspect or another. And I think quick characters that can juggle him (Pikachu) are better against him than others.

But that's just my opinion. You should hear what some of the others of us have to say before coming down on a conclusion. :)

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure R.O.B. is a zoning character, using his gyro and lasers to keep enemies away from him.

He has trouble with characters who get in his face, because of his weight, floatiness, and lack of a move that gets people off him quickly.

The_ViRu5

Smash Rookie
I'd say ROB is a more zoning based character with his projectiles and neutral air, but can definitely go aggressive when he needs to.

I think his biggest weakness is his size. So characters that are able to get in on ROB and combo him generally win the MU.

Characters like ZSS, Mario, Fox, Sheik and Pika all do pretty well vs ROB. At the same time though, I've noticed Pikas and Sheiks have a hard time closing stocks, and with rage and the fact that those two characters are really light, the percent lead doesn't mean as much as it might in other MUs

Also, Villager is a pain in the ass to fight since he can pocket ROB's gyro, and as long as he pulls it out once every 30 seconds (or w/e.) and re-pockets it, ROB could have to play the majority of the match without having access to his gyro

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
1. Keep away, zoning, "spamming"
2. Probably any top tier. Anyone that can safely get up close and deal with combos well. I like Wario a lot for this purpose.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
The optimum playstyle (based solely off his moveset and physical characteristics) is a zoner that has a pretty solid Follow-Up/Agressive Punish game once he confirms off a set-up. He is a character that transitions from a turtle-ish state to a decently aggressive one better than most of the cast - usually off a grab, N-air, or gyro trap. At low percents, the opponent can eat a quick 50-60% with the proper set-up and subsequent reads.

His flaws are that he lacks a solid "get off me move" like many of the cast (Mario/Luigi come to mind with their neutral airs, as does Sheik with a lot of her kit, among others). This acts like a multiplier to the combination of his weight, aerial speed, and fallspeed. The two together result in him having a really tough time getting down. Also, he has a pretty predictable and non-versatile recovery. As a result, if most of the cast touches him from 0-15%... you might as well surrender the 60%+ that's gonna get tacked on unless the opponent goofs. I personally play every stock when at 0 as if I've already taken the 70%... bc if I get touched, that's what's gonna happen. He struggles against quick/nimble characters that can traverse/navigate his zoning game, and those that have a fast CQC game & set-ups/confirms off of it. Also, the fact he has a terrible blindspot at about 45 degrees in front of him, and for the bulk of the area behind/below him certainly doesn't help.

EDIT: I also would say he has a bit of trouble safely killing (in terms of moves that are safe to use, and percentages that ROB is at to be able to safely use the move) since the U-throw nerf. He has a few U-smash set-ups (usually off techreads and gyro drops) or OoS... but I find that its a super hard, risky commitment (as are most of his kill moves). D-throw U-air stops being a combo generally before kill percents (unless ROB is at a low percentage) and is too reliant off reads/baits to be considered a true set-up, imo.

I'd say ROB is a more zoning based character with his projectiles and neutral air, but can definitely go aggressive when he needs to.

I think his biggest weakness is his size. So characters that are able to get in on ROB and combo him generally win the MU.

Characters like ZSS, Mario, Fox, Sheik and Pika all do pretty well vs ROB. At the same time though, I've noticed Pikas and Sheiks have a hard time closing stocks, and with rage and the fact that those two characters are really light, the percent lead doesn't mean as much as it might in other MUs

Also, Villager is a pain in the *** to fight since he can pocket ROB's gyro, and as long as he pulls it out once every 30 seconds (or w/e.) and re-pockets it, ROB could have to play the majority of the match without having access to his gyro
These are all tough MUs for ROB, for sure. Can't say much about Pika as I haven't faced a competent one, but on paper it seems he can set up kill options through thunderjolts as well as QA (in addition to reads, and I believe a few frame traps, esp. with heavy skull bash).

Sheik really doesn't have a hard time killing ROB... or, she shouldn't. He poses no CQC threat to wall her out outside of jab, but I think hers comes out quicker (and I believe her F-tilt comes out just as quick & offers comparable range) + she can act after shielding ROBs jabs/d-tilt before ROB can do much about it. Sheik really can just "press buttons" on reaction to most of ROBs kit. Also, Sheik can BF over a grounded gyro shot, and I believe as laser depending on the range and if he (or she) uses a jump. ROBs up+B is target practice for bouncing fish and Vanish & his aforementioned physical characteristics allow Sheik to set up for U-smash kills more easily. Plus, if she spaces correctly... f-air is safe on shield and she can bait an action from us (ANY action) and punish fairly hard.

The Villager MU is annoying as heck. Learn to rely on laser once the gyro is pocketed, as that's where the bulk of your safe damage will come in (esp. when Villager uses lloid from a far distance) and know/understand the timing needed to punish moves (such as lloid). Dont fux w/ F-smash, as that thing has ridiculously low cooldown and is super versatile for the strength it has. Also, F-air is probably ROBs best aerial in terms of chip damage utility, as N-air is too slow compared to slingshot to be able to use it successfully (and often) at its typical effective range. I know the latest patch nerfed his recovery... so that helps us a bit in this MU, and I think something was done to his F-smash as well (not 100% sure on that one).

Last edited:

The_ViRu5

Smash Rookie
These are all tough MUs for ROB, for sure. Can't say much about Pika as I haven't faced a competent one, but on paper it seems he can set up kill options through thunderjolts as well as QA (in addition to reads, and I believe a few frame traps, esp. with heavy skull bash).

Sheik really doesn't have a hard time killing ROB... or, she shouldn't. He poses no CQC threat to wall her out outside of jab, but I think hers comes out quicker (and I believe her F-tilt comes out just as quick & offers comparable range) + she can act after shielding ROBs jabs/d-tilt before ROB can do much about it. Sheik really can just "press buttons" on reaction to most of ROBs kit. Also, Sheik can BF over a grounded gyro shot, and I believe as laser depending on the range and if he (or she) uses a jump. ROBs up+B is target practice for bouncing fish and Vanish & his aforementioned physical characteristics allow Sheik to set up for U-smash kills more easily. Plus, if she spaces correctly... f-air is safe on shield and she can bait an action from us (ANY action) and punish fairly hard.

The Villager MU is annoying as heck. Learn to rely on laser once the gyro is pocketed, as that's where the bulk of your safe damage will come in (esp. when Villager uses lloid from a far distance) and know/understand the timing needed to punish moves (such as lloid). Dont fux w/ F-smash, as that thing has ridiculously low cooldown and is super versatile for the strength it has. Also, F-air is probably ROBs best aerial in terms of chip damage utility, as N-air is too slow compared to slingshot to be able to use it successfully (and often) at its typical effective range. I know the latest patch nerfed his recovery... so that helps us a bit in this MU, and I think something was done to his F-smash as well (not 100% sure on that one).
You bring up a lot of good points. Sheik is a hard MU for sure. But as long as you're careful to dodge the bouncing fish offstage, and don't air-dodge Sheik's down throw (as sheiks go for the vanish air-dodge read sometimes) it's pretty hard for her to kill with the bair nerf. Customs are legal in my region, so ROB's custom up-b makes it a lot easier to avoid offstage kills. Also, I have had a sheik grab my gyro and camp using her custom needles, which was way harder to deal with than I thought lol. Luckily, not many Sheik players do that though. Still, do you have any ideas how to handle that? Sheik just shields my laser and when I shield her needles my shield is basically gone. It basically forces me to approach with nair and I usually end up getting punished :/

Top Bottom