• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Bison was supposed to be dead as well. SF IV likes bringing back dead people :).

EDIT: Then again, Capcom never told us the fate of these characters. A lot of what players concluded were merely assumptions.
Apparently Rose's fate was never revealed, so there's a possibilty that she'll be in SF IV. However Bison never fully died, his body was destroyed in Alpha, he somehow hid inside Rose, as she was once part of his soul, and waited for scientists to create him a new body, the version you see in Street Fighter II. What isnt explained is that why in SF IV, he has his old Alpha body yet SF IV is set after II

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Apparently Rose's fate was never revealed, so there's a possibilty that she'll be in SF IV. However Bison never fully died, his body was destroyed in Alpha, he somehow hid inside Rose, as she was once part of his soul, and waited for scientists to create him a new body, the version you see in Street Fighter II. What isnt explained is that why in SF IV, he has his old Alpha body yet SF IV is set after II
According to the story (and game) of SF II, Akuma comes in and does his Shun Goku Satsu on Bison, thus destroying his body.

A lot of people are confused why he's back. Oh well, SF is just a fighting game; the story isn't that big of a deal :).

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Was Rose the one with the red coat and purple hair?
If so, what were her abilities, because I have the anthology, but could never fight as her on it?
I liked Gen, he was one of my favourite non-gi wearing characters. Will he keep the ability to switch between styles on this game?

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Was Rose the one with the red coat and purple hair?
If so, what were her abilities, because I have the anthology, but could never fight as her on it?
I liked Gen, he was one of my favourite non-gi wearing characters. Will he keep the ability to switch between styles on this game?
Rose was a selectable character in all the Alpha games.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Bringing people back from the dead in fighting games isn't something new, nor should it really detract the storyline anyhow. How many times have we seen Geese "back" from the dead anyhow, and isn't he supposed to be "dead" in the real storyline of Fatal Fury? Gah...I can't remember, and let's not also forget about Kazuya Mishima from Tekken, he was thrown into a Volcano after his defeat in Tekken 2...yet he comes "back" to life by the time Tekken 4 is strolling around.

So far, Gouken, Bison, and potentially Rose now (although not officially confirmed, you can check her out at srk.com on it about her possibly being in SF:IV) are in SF:IV.

Honestly, I would really love Rose to be in SF:IV, because she was one of the Alpha characters who played very, very unique from other SF characters. My only thing is, how do you keep her from being to powerful, since she has moves like Reflect which did a huge number on projectiles, lolz. Also, if anyone remembers...she was very, very good in all versions of Alpha probably besides A3 (although she was solid in A3, she wasn't powerful like her other A1 or A2 versions).

On another note, here's some vids of SF:IV gameplay that might interest some players...

Sagat vs Gouki (Even without a connecting Super/Ultra...Gouki is still beastly...but wow, Sagat's Tiger UppercatxxDashCancelxxUltra does INSANE damage on Gouki!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9LqOTMFJlQ&feature=related

Ryu vs Dhalsim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuaDmxQdqKE&feature=PlayList&p=39F33DAF8CE53C0B&index=46

And old Valle vs Combofiend Tournament from two months ago, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRWibptV7BU&fmt=18

Overall, I am very pleased with SF:IV as of this moment, this fighting game is super, super rock solid. I don't think there is anyone doubting this game's potential now at srk.com, the only b*tching I hear is from people crying about the character roster at times (which is the norm because SF people are like that sometimes).

Other then that, there's no real hate towards the way the game is played, all I can say is this...if you started out playing SFIII as your first serious SF game, then I suggest you read Gootecks 3S to SFIV transition, because SF:IV has ALOT of SFII like properties and strategical values, many of which where completely abscent in SFIII due to it's vomit Parry System.

All I know is, when this game hits consoles, I will no longer exist, except for SF:IV for a long while to come.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't have an account on SRK, but I always visit just to see the latest news and discussion.
If Rose is really in SF IV, she should be pretty good if they didn't change some of her game mechanics and nerf her. Console specific characters are usually weak or broken since they don't go through extensive location testing like the other characters do.

Like I said earlier in this topic, I'm going to be getting it for the 360. I'll probably be able to use a friend's PS3 if any of you are getting SF IV for the PS3.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
After hearing that Rose might be in SF IV, I fired up my old Alpha 3 emulator to see what she was like, I never played as her before, and I must admit, she's pretty fun to use. I just like using her Reflect to absorb projectiles to charge up her meter, and doing c.mp xxx qcf lk, the only combo I know with her. I never played Alpha 3 competitively, since competitive Alpha 3 = V-ism, and I cant be bothered spending hours learning those V-ism combos

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I never got into the Alpha series sadly. I've played Alpha 1 and 2 only for this series.

And also, it's confirmed. Rose is in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xOrw6rBVs

Look at 0:00. She's in. There's no gameplay of her sadly. For some odd reason, nobody posted videos of players using Cammy, Dan, Fei Long, Gen, or Rose. Hopefully someone has yet to upload some vids of them playing.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I never got into the Alpha series sadly. I've played Alpha 1 and 2 only for this series.

And also, it's confirmed. Rose is in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xOrw6rBVs

Look at 0:00. She's in. There's no gameplay of her sadly. For some odd reason, nobody posted videos of players using Cammy, Dan, Fei Long, Gen, or Rose. Hopefully someone has yet to upload some vids of them playing.
Cool that Rose is in.

I thought all those characters were console specific? And who in their right mind would choose Dan for their first ever shot at SF IV (besides me, Dan pwns)

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Bringing people back from the dead in fighting games isn't something new, nor should it really detract the storyline anyhow. How many times have we seen Geese "back" from the dead anyhow, and isn't he supposed to be "dead" in the real storyline of Fatal Fury? Gah...I can't remember, and let's not also forget about Kazuya Mishima from Tekken, he was thrown into a Volcano after his defeat in Tekken 2...yet he comes "back" to life by the time Tekken 4 is strolling around.
I wasn't aware Gouken was supposed to be alive in the game. I just figured he was a bonus character, or maybe that his spirit has returned or something like that, and I'm going to keep thinking that until I see something that says otherwise. Bison/Vega, on the other hand, I have no trouble believing is still alive. He's come back what... twice in the whole storyline? Yeah, I have no problem Akuma/Gouki killing him didn't stick.

It'll be good to see what happened to Gen; last we saw of him he was going off to fight Akuma/Gouki and, at the same time, dying of some sickness.

Anyway, say the Sagat match. Left a comment on how everyone assumes all Sagat players play with that overpowering Tiger Shot / Uppercut technique when they don't all do so. I get all sorts of annoyance over people assuming I'm a certain type of player because I use a certain character.

Just saw the Sakura trailer-video too. I already knew she was in it, but it's nice to get some confirmation (I don't play her too much, but I feel like I should more, the character is great. I kind of miss the hilariously deep voice she has when doing specials though... it's there, but not as funny). It's good to have characters from Alpha and such in the game instead of it being a straight SFII deal. Street Fighter 3 characters.... I can hope for, but only about half of them would be around at the time the game is made, right? Oro would be sweet, however.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't aware Gouken was supposed to be alive in the game. I just figured he was a bonus character, or maybe that his spirit has returned or something like that, and I'm going to keep thinking that until I see something that says otherwise. Bison/Vega, on the other hand, I have no trouble believing is still alive. He's come back what... twice in the whole storyline? Yeah, I have no problem Akuma/Gouki killing him didn't stick.
Gouken was assumed to be dead, however if you watch the official SF:IV anime trailer with Ryu vs Gouki, you will see Gouken alive and well at the end of the trailer. So the hunch is, Gouken is still very much alive, wether "in" spirit, I highly doubt that, since he's able to physically do things, such as knocking the path of the water fall with his fist, while having it rain back down upon his body.

It'll be good to see what happened to Gen; last we saw of him he was going off to fight Akuma/Gouki and, at the same time, dying of some sickness.
It was assumed that Gen most likely would have "won" that match up in Alpha 3, since Gen is still alive now. They would have confronted one another in Alpha 3 at some point and time, however for his storyline, it's anyone elses guess. I'm hoping to see where he's been at since Alpha 3.

Anyway, say the Sagat match. Left a comment on how everyone assumes all Sagat players play with that overpowering Tiger Shot / Uppercut technique when they don't all do so. I get all sorts of annoyance over people assuming I'm a certain type of player because I use a certain character.
People who piss on other people for playing Sagat with a Tiger/Tiger Uppercut mentality are just simply ********, period. Why should you not play Sagat the right way? He was created with the intention of keeping at bay with his fast and powerful projectiles. He was made with a powerful AA that can plant you to the ground, so that he can control spacing again with his projectiles.

That's how Sagat is supposed to be played...I would laugh and call someone a scrubby Sagat player if they where trying to rush down and do damage...that's Gief's job. Play to your character's strength, because the Tiger Shot and Tiger Uppercut are two of Sagat's most lethal moves, and to not utilize them to their full potential is to not play Sagat at his most dominant.

Just saw the Sakura trailer-video too. I already knew she was in it, but it's nice to get some confirmation (I don't play her too much, but I feel like I should more, the character is great. I kind of miss the hilariously deep voice she has when doing specials though... it's there, but not as funny). It's good to have characters from Alpha and such in the game instead of it being a straight SFII deal. Street Fighter 3 characters.... I can hope for, but only about half of them would be around at the time the game is made, right? Oro would be sweet, however.
Sakura was confirmed by Capcom a long while ago, and there are plenty of vs vids of her flying around as of late. She was playable at the NYC SF Club about a month back. She seems really good as well, as usually how Sakura always is. I mean, if anyone remembers, almost every incarnation of her has either been solid, or else super powerful.

SFIII characters...we don't know "maybe" Ibuki for fan service, for if I remember correctly, I remember Ono mentioning her name. However, SF:IV was made with a huge thought of bringing back SFII characters and SFII players back into the groove. Ono is exactly right when he made the comments "SFII is just more popular and well known."

However, in all honesty, SF:IV's roster is getting already...too, too big. They should tone it down, because before we know it, we'll be having 30+ characters..and that'll be a pain from a balance standpoint to try and address.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I've never played a single SF in my entire life but this game has caught my attention just recently =O. It's hard to tell everything from the videos when all I see are two players trading hits. For the game to be competitive, I assume it must have a few layers of deepness, so I was wondering where those were found? xD What is it in a video that should indicate to a certain amount of skill from the player? Is it more shallow than brawl?

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I've never played a single SF in my entire life but this game has caught my attention just recently =O. It's hard to tell everything from the videos when all I see are two players trading hits. For the game to be competitive, I assume it must have a few layers of deepness, so I was wondering where those were found? xD What is it in a video that should indicate to a certain amount of skill from the player? Is it more shallow than brawl?
Plenty of zoning, spacing with characters, there's a heavy load of indication for character variety. Alot of strategical positioning and all, and this is only a small portion of it. I would go into super great detail however put it this way, SF:IV is going to be a very strategical fighting game.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
BentoBox: That first part of your paragraph made me want to kill you.

Not joking.

<3

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That's how Sagat is supposed to be played...I would laugh and call someone a scrubby Sagat player if they where trying to rush down and do damage...that's Gief's job. Play to your character's strength, because the Tiger Shot and Tiger Uppercut are two of Sagat's most lethal moves, and to not utilize them to their full potential is to not play Sagat at his most dominant.
I agree. You're supposed to play your character's strengths.

SFIII characters...we don't know "maybe" Ibuki for fan service, for if I remember correctly, I remember Ono mentioning her name.
I would love to have Ibuki join the roster since she was my 3rd Strike main, but I'm happy enough with what we're getting at the moment with characters like Rose, Gen, and so on.

However, in all honesty, SF:IV's roster is getting already...too, too big. They should tone it down, because before we know it, we'll be having 30+ characters..and that'll be a pain from a balance standpoint to try and address.
Ono said he wanted the roster small so it would be easy to balance unlike MvC2. That's why I'm so surprised by how big the roster is. So yeah, you're right how they should try to tone it down.

BentoBox: That first part of your paragraph made me want to kill you.

Not joking.

<3
LOL. I agree.

Well, maybe I wouldn't go as far as killing...

@BentoBox: The SF series has plenty of depth, the same goes for SF IV. Surprisingly the focus system in IV has a lot of possibilities with its cancelling, mind games, and combos. So you don't have to worry have wondering if the game is shallow.

My arcade (that I work at) doesn't have any fighting games besides Tekken 5. My manager is going to make some decisions on which arcade games to buy and I've been bugging him about getting SF IV and BlazBlue. I hope he'll actually go through with it.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Tone down the amount of characters? As in get rid of some? Wouldnt they be pricks for promising characters and then getting rid of them because the competitive community are too lazy to balance that many characters?

I'd love it if there were some SFIII characters in IV. Alex (my other SFIII main) Q, or Ibuki would be cool. Out of those 3 Q has no chance though, Alex has been in other games and is in the new Tatsunoko vs. Capcom game, and Ibuki was in Gem Fighters.

I'd love it if there EX characters in IV, I dont care what others think of the EX series, Skullomania + D. Dark ftw

BentoBox

Smash Master
D: So much </3

Truth be told, I was never a fan of 2D fighters before. I'd play the old Tekken games, and upon pressing start mid-game, I'd have to scroll down 3 pages full of different combos/attacks and thought to myself that there's no way in hell I'd memorize all of these. I just assumed every other game of the genre was the same; lacked intuitiveness.

Is the game on PC/consoles going to feature an online mode btw?

@EL: I'm gheb's protege, you can't touch me love.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Tone down the amount of characters? As in get rid of some? Wouldnt they be pricks for promising characters and then getting rid of them because the competitive community are too lazy to balance that many characters?

I'd love it if there were some SFIII characters in IV. Alex (my other SFIII main) Q, or Ibuki would be cool. Out of those 3 Q has no chance though, Alex has been in other games and is in the new Tatsunoko vs. Capcom game, and Ibuki was in Gem Fighters.

I'd love it if there EX characters in IV, I dont care what others think of the EX series, Skullomania + D. Dark ftw
Tone down the amount of characters, as in, try to not add anymore that have not been officially confirmed. The roster at the moment is already unprecedented for any first Street Fighter that was released (meaning SFII:WW, SF:Alpha1, SF:III). We have the original 12 characters, then we have Fei-Long, Cammy, Gouki, Gen, Gouken, Fuerte, Rufus, Viper, Abel, Sakura, Rose, and Dan. If you even include Seth, that's already 25 characters on the Roster. This makes the cast of SF:IV larger then any other cast of the legit series besides Alpha 3.

SFIII characters, it's really going to depend, you'll have to revamp the storyline of characters if you plan to add them into the frey of SF:IV. My hunch is this...LET SF:IV be the way it is, and when they make another SF:IV (which I guarantee that they will) then possibly add a few SFIII characters in. Too many characters and fan services by Capcom and before we know it...we'll have a 40-50 man roster.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tekken isn't a 2D fighter...

Unless it started 2D and moved to 3D later in the series, but I'm pretty sure it was always 3D.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
SFIII characters, it's really going to depend, you'll have to revamp the storyline of characters if you plan to add them into the frey of SF:IV. My hunch is this...LET SF:IV be the way it is, and when they make another SF:IV (which I guarantee that they will) then possibly add a few SFIII characters in. Too many characters and fan services by Capcom and before we know it...we'll have a 40-50 man roster.
I meant to say that, add the SFIII characters for the next SFIV version.

Tekken isn't a 2D fighter...

Unless it started 2D and moved to 3D later in the series, but I'm pretty sure it was always 3D.
Tekken was always 3D.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Ionno, I call 2D fighters all the fighters that impose the same kind of restrictions movement wise... Though you could sidestep in tekken.. xD. Meh, not like that matters. up down low kick quarter circle punch punch jump kick.... etc = bad.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
Melee is decent at the very least but what I don't like is the fact that in smash you can't really frame trap your opponent Marth was a beast in that game but he had exploitable weakness. Forget to mention Wavedash space yourself better so the dash dance so you have a balance between offense and defense

Brawl in the other hand his bad because of tripping that punish you from tilting the analog stick wtf. Also in Brawl with the lose of dash dance, hitstun and wavedash make brawl too much defensive an now you have to look mostly at char traits like range and attack speed and to prove it MK is like only basic and no great AT he have one but it is banned because it's so ridiculous he is simply superior throught his char design. Not to mention the bad programation of the game espicially DDD has he infinite like 7 pepole and Wario suffer from grab release and so on...

Personally I think GG is Better than most fighting game

BentoBox

Smash Master
^Pics have been shown, its not a rumor anymore afaik.

Smash sucks.

See?

I can do it too.
I already said that the lack of intuitiveness in Tekken-like games didn't appeal to me at all. I fail to see how that makes me close-minded.

Enlighten me.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
For SF IV. The only thing they need to get rid off his Fuerte infinite apart from that they should leave the game like it is

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GG is fun. I haven't played in a tourney for GG though, but I'm pretty good. Still trying to get those FRC down for certain characters. My mains are Ky, Bridget, and Dizzy.

On Topic: February 17th is still too far away. Hopefully my arcade gets SF IV soon. I want to experiement with the Focus system.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Has anyone read this yet? www.arcadeheroes.com

A couple of posts down it says that US arcades won't get SFIV and that it's illegal to import it. Hopefully Capcom doesn't do anything to the cabinet owners cause I want to try playing SFIV at an arcade one day :(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I've read it.

It's funny how Capcom says it's illegal to import it while Capcom-Unity doesn't care. I'm hoping that it being illegal won't change my boss's mind to import the game.

For SF IV. The only thing they need to get rid off his Fuerte infinite apart from that they should leave the game like it is
His infinite isn't quite an issue for some reason. I don't know the exact detail to it either since it's not banned.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
GG is fun. I haven't played in a tourney for GG though, but I'm pretty good. Still trying to get those FRC down for certain characters. My mains are Ky, Bridget, and Dizzy.

On Topic: February 17th is still too far away. Hopefully my arcade gets SF IV soon. I want to experiement with the Focus system.
Off-topic response, in regards to the first paragraph:

I consider myself to be pretty good at GG, too. But I've played some people who go to tourneys and let me tell you, they are absolutely meaaaaaaaaaaan. Not like, mean as in unfriendly, but they're just frickin' disgusting at this game. They're great practice though and very humbling to play against. It's fun.

My mains are Sol Badguy, Holy Order Sol, and ABA. I'm hoping to broaden my horizons one of these days and include cool people like Robo Ky into my arsenal. I should play you one of these days, Minato. Just need to get another car and start driving again.

On-topic response: The Focus system seems amazing. It's a parry and countering system all rolled into one; gives SF a fresh dynamic while not trumping some of the cool stuff that makes it...well, SF.

Edit: Uh, there are arcades on the western seaboard that have cabinets gents. Check out SRK.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom