• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I figured that if I ever go to a GG tourney, I'm going to be torn to shreds.

It would be cool to play you, but UT and FL are nowhere close to each other.
Maybe they'll release GG with good online one of these days.

I can't wait for BlazBlue though.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Yeah, I figured that if I ever go to a GG tourney, I'm going to be torn to shreds.

It would be cool to play you, but UT and FL are nowhere close to each other.
Maybe they'll release GG with good online one of these days.

I can't wait for BlazBlue though.
Me neither.

And I didn't even notice that you were from UT. WTF fail on my part.

Smooth Criminal

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
For SF IV. The only thing they need to get rid off his Fuerte infinite apart from that they should leave the game like it is
The infinite is not bad, believe me, Fuerte can do much out of it at all. I've seen this thing land a few times, however nothing devastating like Mag's rom's from MvC2, or CE. Bison Lockdowns or Dizzy and Re-Dizzy Combo, or Guile's 5-hit Jab combo redizzy in WW.

To basically say it...there where characters who had more overpowered stuff in previous SF games than the infinity that we see with Fuerte. Even with it...Fuerte is still around Middle or Low-Mid, so it's benefit doesn't even do him a whole lot.

If you still don't believe me...watch this video of CE. Bison in action with his lockdowns and Dizzy to Re-Dizzy Combo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWXxAku1CpU&feature=related

Some of you may go "Omgosh, that's unstoppable!" However, if you pin Bison to the wall, or if you are playing a Shoto or Guile...you can utterly destroy Bison...as what this Guile player did in the last 2 rounds of the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XJcKEsM7BI&feature=related

In Street Fighter II:CE with the above videos, it was all about spacing, and positioning, see how Guile positioned himself to control the match up, to punish Bison with AA's, or to force Bison into bad situations like not being able to scissor kick or Psycho Crusher, etc, etc.

You can expect positioning and spacing just like this in SF:IV, so it's not just about "rushing down", it also is about, where your character is the most dominant. Obviously guys like Zangief need to get in, while guys like Sagat can hang back and zone you to death. Alot of character diversity in how they play, which is why SF:IV is gonna have alot depth for the people who always want to 'look' for that in fighting games.

This game is seriously making me want to get out of a retirement for one more year to have fun with this again. Since I've been out of the competition play for already 3 years now, however SF:IV is just simply way too manly of a game. No real stupid BS in this game at this moment, which is why this game is going to rock, especially at Evolution 2009...expect ALOT of competitors entering for this fighting game...in fact, expect it to have the most tournament entries period.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
CE Ryu DESTROYS CE Bison.

Then again they are both top tier so w/e.

BentoBox: I'm old school man. What can I say?

The games you call unintuitive are the games that laid the foundation for games like Smash. They are the games I grew up on and the games I hold many memories of.

Besides, Tekken has Kazuya who is a Mishima and Mishimas own the universe.

Fact.

Anyway, the thing I hate about Smash is what you love. You say old school fighters lack freedom and restrict you. I feel like Smash lacks structure and the governing laws and physics are far too loose.

It's a matter of preference I suppose.

Smooth Criminal: Lies. I'm awesome. C'mon, you know it's true.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
CE Ryu DESTROYS CE Bison.

Then again they are both top tier so w/e.
Ryu was definitely beast in CE, however he was Upper-Tier, just outside of Top-Tier. The 3 Best characters in CE would have been Guile, Bison, and Sagat, then Ryu would have been #4 while Ken would have probably been #5 or else was it Claw who was #5 or #6? I can't remember, but Ryu was #4 without a doubt.

Lmao...the good old days...I remember seeing tons of CE Bison doing Dizzy and Re-Dizzy combos, only to get punished by my Ryu or Guile, and if I was Guile and I launched a Sonic Boom and they went for a Headstomp or forward jump...Air throw them to the ground! It's just a shame that competition isn't as easily accessible as it was then compared to now which is a real shame.

CE was definitely when I started to become, really really good...but Hyper Fighting was my absolute peak in my abilities in SFII...I remember those days so well, stuffing Guile's c.mk with c.fk. C.shortX2..S.fp, Fp Hadouken, ticking Boxer because he was a Ryu destroyer, Invincible Hurricane kick through projectiles to stuff them out...good old days.

Anyway, the thing I hate about Smash is what you love. You say old school fighters lack freedom and restrict you. I feel like Smash lacks structure and the governing laws and physics are far too loose.
Smash was fun, and interesting, and although I did enjoy it alot, I do not regard it within the Top 10 best fighting games ever, in fact not even in the Top 20, however it was still a solid fighting game.

If you want my real true opinion on Brawl, then I hate the way it plays because it feels even more limited, and it feels much slower then SSBM as well...which drove me nuts (That was like playing SFII:HF which faster speed, then going back to turtle speed for the new SSFII), making the gameplay heavily watered down and boring.

To Bento...Tekken 5 onward may have been quite scrubby and newbie friendly, however Pre-Tekken 5...the game had alot of great values going into it. Take Tekken 4 for instance...sure, it was broken, Jin dominated with an iron fist, however the game had huge character diversity.

Paul destroyed you on the ground, Ling with AoP madness, Nina with his monster runaway SS game, Steve with his turtling game, Jin with his Bulldogging game, Kazuya CH Ewgf hunting. Damage for characters was dealt in very different ways. Even in Tag with the Top-Tier teams...Mishima's where all about Spacing, while Ogre's where OKI Kings, and Changs derived their heavy damages off of CH's.

Knowing attacks that give out +Frame advantages, and punishing those with - Frames attacks...take for example, moves that where -10 on frames, Hei could score his infamous 221~2, because it was a 10-frame punisher.

The game is super solid, however I will admit...Tekken 6 is absolute garbage though...because it's a jugglefest+Bound+juggle+wallsplat garbage now. Even T5 had more creativity then T6.

Anyways...enough of Tekken, GG, or Smash, it's all about Street Fighter IV!

My cousin who's just about 6 months younger then me is in Tokyo right now, and will probably be there for a long while. He's been playing SF:IV whenever he can and he's aching to challenge me when he gets the time. He says he's been getting pretty good with Guile and Dictator, so I cannot wait...since I might go back to Japan in late December. Anyhow, he needs a Ryu butt kicking from me anyhow :chuckle:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Speaking of T6, Kazuya looks so f*ckin beast in that game.

***** gets a wallsplat and it's game over.

Anyway, I'm hype for SF IV and I can't wait till it comes out so I can kiss this community good bye.

I'm sorry, but Brawl is just terrible and I want to play a NEW game that's GOOD.

Ya know...a game made by a company that actually gives a **** about the competitive community.

It's so refreshing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
EL is too good at debating Street Fighter and fighting games in general...

EDIT: Sort of on topic. SF II HD has been dated for the 26th on XBL Arcade. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS3 so I'll have to use the 360 controller to play this game.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
The infinite is not bad, believe me, Fuerte can do much out of it at all. I've seen this thing land a few times, however nothing devastating like Mag's rom's from MvC2, or CE. Bison Lockdowns or Dizzy and Re-Dizzy Combo, or Guile's 5-hit Jab combo redizzy in WW.
Actually I've seen some recent vids where a player is pulling it off until stun. And then again and combo into super. It's pretty ****. Although I'd say aside from his mix-up game, it's the only other thing keeping him competitive.

Here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwrmu-aUY60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHa7-XnZXgk

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Actually I've seen some recent vids where a player is pulling it off until stun. And then again and combo into super. It's pretty ****. Although I'd say aside from his mix-up game, it's the only other thing keeping him competitive.

Here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwrmu-aUY60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHa7-XnZXgk
This is quite old news, however the point that I've been trying to make is that it's not overpowered, and it doesn't make him an much more powerful character. Even with it, Fuerte is still Middle or Low at best, which with the infinity, that's where he is ranked. Let me break down Fuerte's infinite...it gets more and more difficult to do as you continue to do it...it becomes easily predictable when the opponent see's it enough to counter it, and it does absolutely horrible damage.

I've seen more overpowered things in SF that didn't even involve Infinites...like CE. Bison's Scissor Kick lockdowns. Now let's break that down in comparison to Fuerte's infinity shall we?

First off, CE. Bison just either needed a C.lp, s.lp, or Scissor to connect, and he could do his dizzy and re-dizzy combo. So for example, Scissor Kick--c.lp--s.mk...this dizzies you right, and bam, you just lost nearly half your life already from full bar. Not only that, your dizzy, Bison then does c.lp--s.lp--scissor kick--c.lp--s.mk...bam...your dizzy a 2nd time!

By this time, you have about 10% life left, at which Bison just throws you and it's ocv. On HSF2:AE...you don't even get the re-dizzy combo because CE. Bison in there does even more damage then his arcade counterpart. So in comparison, if competitive players where able to not only put up, but be able to counter Bison's lockdowns, Fuerte's infinite is a cake walk and shouldn't even be mentioned.

Fuerte's infinity is not that strong, overpowered or good at all, and no offense, but that Sagat player should of known better and countered it. It seemed like he didn't really know how to fight up against Fuerte at all.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
But... the discussion is about street fighter IV.

And if his infinite wasn't strong or good, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't use it. That's pretty good damage and stun for a normal combo. Not to mention it builds a lot of meter. And you can't bring out the "should have" stuff for other players, because anyone "should have" punished correctly or "should have" blocked correctly.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
But... the discussion is about street fighter IV.

And if his infinite wasn't strong or good, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't use it. That's pretty good damage and stun for a normal combo. Not to mention it builds a lot of meter. And you can't bring out the "should have" stuff for other players, because anyone "should have" punished correctly or "should have" blocked correctly.
The reason for the CE statement is that there where more powerful tools that other characters had, which makes this "infinity" look like a guppy in comparison. Just watch again how much damage it does in comparison to a single combo that Sagat can land on you? Sagat's Combo>>>Fuerte's Infinite...and Sagat's combo gives Sagat the initiative+better damage output.

Secondly, try landing this "infinite" on a good player, because this isn't like Magneto's Rom where it can come from a 1-frame start up. There's a specific way to land Fuerte's infinite and if your smart, you can anticipate and counter it correctly (Which the Sagat player showed he didn't, because he didn't seem to know how to fight Fuerte at all). The "should of" or "would of" are very viable, and I've seen good Fuerte players go through countless rounds without ever using the infinity.

In fact, most Fuerte players rely more upon his mix up game then his infinite, because it's far more reliable. Again, try to not "blow" this infinity out of proportion, I would agree with you if this "made" him Top-Tier, however it sure ain't no Genei-Jin, nor a Scissor Kick Lockdown, or what not. Fuerte is Middle Tier at best, even with the infinite in his arsenal...so if it was that good...why would other characters who don't have the infinite be better then him?

Simple fact, it's not overpowered, it does little damage, it can be anticipated and punished, and he his mixups have proven again and again to be more efficient over it.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Anyone getting it for the Xbox?

Im getting the internet connection switched to my room pretty soon hopefully, just in time for HD Remix

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Anyone getting it for the Xbox?

Im getting the internet connection switched to my room pretty soon hopefully, just in time for HD Remix
Yeah, I'll be getting it for the 360. I don't have an arcade stick for the 360 yet unfortunately.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I might buy HDR as a starter into the series xD. Why remake the 2nd one though? Did they just give it a visual overhaul?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol.

You don't follow Capcom that much do you?

Remaking games for balance is kinda what they do.

Anyway, there is updated visuals, the game's cast has been re-balanced, and there is remixed music mostly from OC remix.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I don't :D, lol. Seeing as I've never played SF before, I thought that would be obvious. Bear with me plz.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
ST:HD Remix is going to pawn, I vouche that Ryu will still be Top 5 in the new rebalanced version, if not he's gone to be Top 3 now, since he had no tone downs from the original ST, but now has the addition of a Fake Hadouken added, which will make him even more beastly!

I expect Sagat to still be Top 5 if not Top 3 again judging from his slight tone downs, other then that, I can't say for the rest, all I know is, I'm going to mess around with Ken and T. Hawk a bit since both got beefier now.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sagat got more buffs then nerfs. His super is better now and his tiger knee is better as well since it has the DP motion which makes it more threatening from a walk. Only tiger shots are slightly slower.

And yeah since Ryu is totally unchanged other then a fake fireball, I can see him hitting top 5 pretty easily.

Fake fireball means pure mindgame goodness.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I think his Tiger shots are either of these (0bviously guessing) ....11-39, 11-41 (11-41 where the frame speed of his Tiger Shots back in HF after he got nerfed from CE), or 12-40 (12-40 would make them rival ST Ryu's Hadouken's, which where also nerfed in speed from Super to ST) instead of the beastly 11-37 frames.

However I'm assuming it's around 11-39ish, which would make it more like Ryu's Hadouken speed from CE-HF. Which would still make it powerful, but not as strong as it previously was, and yes, your right, he didn't get a whole lot of beef downs, but got great modifications. The srk motion Tiger Knee will be annoying since doing those where difficult to a norm player (easy obviously once you learn it).

So yep, I don't see how he's not going to be Top 3 once again, obviously he won't be as strong as other counterpart, but he'll have compensated for his losses.

Ryu was I believe ranked #6 in the original ST game, only O. Sagat, Sim, Rog, Claw, and Chun where arguably better then him. However with no tone downs, but a fake Hadouken, you would think he would actually move up in comparison to others because he only received an improvement.

One of my bro's is happy that Ken's Super can FINALLY be used as a Reversal on wake up, I remember back in the days he would get frustrated as to why it wouldn't reversal on wake up, lol, good to know that it's fixed. Ken keeping his throwing mix up and having more of a Champion Edition like Shoryuken will only make him more beastly.

Lmao...this should become the Street Fighter thread instead of IV, lmao...

Anyhow, on other SF:IV news, there's new screen shots of Fei Long and Dan, with them showcasing their Ultra's as well...Fei Long's Super Art judging by just the pictures seems to look kinda like his Lvl 3 Super from Alpha 3 where he ends with his Flying Kick. So far, Fei Long looks to be one of the best SF character transitions from traditional 2-D to SF:IV, I'm loving how he looks and how some of his attacks are animated, simply incredible.

Get Hype! Street Fighter IV is going to Deliver the Goods!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The srk motion Tiger Knee will be annoying since doing those where difficult to a norm player (easy obviously once you learn it).[/U][/B]
Isn't that easier than the original motion for the Tiger Knee? Especially since DP motions are easier to do on HD remix than on the original Super Turbo.

As for SF IV, I can't wait until Gamestop let's us preorder the Street Fighter arcade sticks. 140 dollars is a lot, but I might have to buy one for each system.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that easier than the original motion for the Tiger Knee? Especially since DP motions are easier to do on HD remix than on the original Super Turbo.
Yeah, I meant to say the original tiger knee motion, not the new modified srk version, lmao. That's what happens when you click submit reply instead of preview post first, haha. Anyways, there was an old trick of doing the old Tiger Knee motion instead of trying to do the entire motion itself.

My thing is, with it being a srk move now, more Sagat players will not have greater access to positioning him. Simply because less people where able to do his original Tiger Knee on call, however now, with a knock down, Sagat players can easily gain positioning on opponents, especially with a knockdown now, or else a throw that landed which wasn't teched.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not to mention that Tiger Knee juggles the opponent this time for one more Tiger Knee. It will probably stay that way unless they decide to patch it, which I doubt.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Is there any benefits to using an arcade stick? Or is it just preference? I got into fighting games long after the arcade scene and have always played fighting games using a controller.

I dont wanna shell out a crapload of money to pay for an arcade stick when a controller suits me fine.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Is there any benefits to using an arcade stick? Or is it just preference? I got into fighting games long after the arcade scene and have always played fighting games using a controller.

I dont wanna shell out a crapload of money to pay for an arcade stick when a controller suits me fine.
Arcade sticks are just easier to use if you're used to them.
Although I'm used to controllers, I still find the 360 controller hard to use for 2D fighters.

K64

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to Rose for making the roster. Hopefully that's al they're going to add-- unless........

Minato

穏やかじゃない
1UP had SF IV in their latest video podcast along with an interview with Seth. This video reveals some gameplay footage of Cammy and Fei Long. It also features english voices and some of the new stages.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23089

The first half the video has the 1UP crew at Keystone II.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Nice, finally we see Cammy's Ultra, reminds me for the animated movie, when she assassinates some guy by hopping on his shoulders with her hands, like she does to Fei-Long.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I find it surprising how Gen is the only one who has two Supers and two Ultras. I know it reflects his two styles, but still...

Top Bottom