• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.
Thats not true cuz they already made a SF movie, wit VanDam, & they had the names set correctly. This dude jus has them switched around.

Plus, Y would they switch names? Thats wut they wer called on SF2.
The names have been like that since the Japanese release of Street Fighter II. The Street Fighter II Move was made by America, so of course they'd use the American names.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thats not true cuz they already made a SF movie, wit VanDam, & they had the names set correctly. This dude jus has them switched around.

The original Street Fighter 2 (the Japanese one) had:

Vega as the evil dictator guy trying to take over the world or whatever.

Balrog as the shirtless Spainard with a claw and a mask that fall off too much.

M. Bison as the boxer from Vegas. Note that the "M." stands for Mike. Sounds kinda like Mike Tyson who was pretty famous back in like... '92 when SF2 came out.

However when the game was brought to the U.S. Capcom didn't want to get sued by Mike Tyson for use of his likeness (his portrait looked a lot like Tyson even, and he had a rather odd voice like Tyson was known for...) so they changed some names around. M. Bison became the dictator, Vega the claw guy, and Balrog the boxer.

After all of this a terrible live action movie was made that we've all been trying to forget. Please don't try to argue it having more merit than the original game lol...

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.

Somebody beat me to responding to this, but seriously dude, "PLEES" learn how to spell properly.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I remember when SF4 cabinets first hit the states two or three months ago. People were calling Rufus "Fat-neto" because they thought his approaches/setups were close to being unblockable. I'm just glad people played the game and realized that while he's good, he's still not that great.

Now I see Sagat at the top and am thinking in shades of Super Turbo. I'm gonna hear, "TIGER! TIGER! TIGER!" in my sleep.

Smooth Criminal

cody420

Smash Cadet
U guys havnt played it yet, but u still judge the characters by tier lists? how sad.......E. Honda & Blanka will rule all >:l

I didnt no that thx Dr Drew :D

@ The Executive: "Im typing via wiimote, gimme a break." lol

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I remember when SF4 cabinets first hit the states two or three months ago. People were calling Rufus "Fat-neto" because they thought his approaches/setups were close to being unblockable. I'm just glad people played the game and realized that while he's good, he's still not that great.

Now I see Sagat at the top and am thinking in shades of Super Turbo. I'm gonna hear, "TIGER! TIGER! TIGER!" in my sleep.

Smooth Criminal
Fatneto? *laugh*

I'm still waiting for a console release and a decent arcade stick.

Also, every time I read that Goergia tourney acronym in your location I see TABASCO. Don't know why.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh, that? Yeah, seeing the word "tabasco" is sort of an inside joke between the people that attended. I think it was Hungrybox or Colbol that said something positive about the tourney to somebody, only to label it with the wrong acronym.

I don't even know if I'll be going to TGMTSBCO. The dating is HORRIBLE and we're all hoping to God that they re-schedule.

As for SF4: I want to play it in a competitive environment, but from what I hear most TOs that hold SF4 tourneys are going to be running it off of X-Box 360s/Cabinets. I plan on getting a PS3 as my next console. I'm wondering if Capcom's gonna be dumb and swap around content depending on which console you play it on.

Smooth Criminal

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The original Street Fighter 2 (the Japanese one) had:

Vega as the evil dictator guy trying to take over the world or whatever.

Balrog as the shirtless Spainard with a claw and a mask that fall off too much.

M. Bison as the boxer from Vegas. Note that the "M." stands for Mike. Sounds kinda like Mike Tyson who was pretty famous back in like... '92 when SF2 came out.

However when the game was brought to the U.S. Capcom didn't want to get sued by Mike Tyson for use of his likeness (his portrait looked a lot like Tyson even, and he had a rather odd voice like Tyson was known for...) so they changed some names around. M. Bison became the dictator, Vega the claw guy, and Balrog the boxer.

hmm. this is quite interesting, I honestly never knew about this, it would have been weird to have the so called dictator as Vega.

kr3wman

Smash Master
So Gouken and Seth are confirmed for home versions...

I wish they either Nerf Seth or you can't play him online like you could With Gill...

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman

why is Akuma below Blanka? if anything, it should be the other way around, also seeing Ryu a spot above Ken really took me by surprise there. I'm kinda of dissapointed that C.viper is near the bottom as I was expecting him to be good.
From a storyline standpoint, Gouki would be above everyone who's currently on that tier list, however, this is in game, so it changes everything.

Blanka just simply does better at this point then Gouki does, not to mention, Blanka does not have the super crappy stamina that Gouki has as well. In SF:IV, it's no different then 3S, Gouki just simply cannot take alot of hits, without losing a great deal chunk of life.

Ryu being above Ken doesn't surprise me at all, considering overall, Ryu has been better in most of the Street Fighter games then Ken has been in.

Seth being playable at his current state, he would obviously be banned in actual tournament play, and if he's available online, you always have the option of not playing anyone who picks them, because #1 they are either bored or most likely #2 they are not very good at the game, thus they pick the most overpowered and obviously broken character in the game.

Even if Seth is playable, don't take players who wan to play him seriously, well seriously.

U guys havnt played it yet, but u still judge the characters by tier lists? how sad.......E. Honda & Blanka will rule all >:ll
Some people have played it *raises my hand* however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing about Tier List, there was tons of people who talked about Smashes Tier Listing, even before they played it, the same as in here.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
A question to anyone who's played it: what's the music like? Since most of the characters are returnees from Street Fighter 2, did they remix/orchestrate/arrange the SF2 music?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
U guys havnt played it yet, but u still judge the characters by tier lists? how sad.......E. Honda & Blanka will rule all >:l
[/QUOTE]

I HAVE played it. Blanka rules, and I never liked E. Honda so I've never really payed attention to him that much, although I wouldn't doubt his position on the current tier list.

I HATE fighting against Zangief players. I really do, one in every three people play him per machine.

1 - Sagat
2 - Vega (Dictator)
2 - Ryu
2 - Zangief - They're up here
4 - Blanka
6 - Rufus
6 - Akuma
8 - M.Bison (Boxer)
9 - Chun Li
10 - Ken
11 - Abel
12 - Dhalsim
12 - Guile - I'm down here :(
14 - C.Viper
15 - Honda
16 - El Fuerte
17 - Balrog (Claw)

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
A question to anyone who's played it: what's the music like? Since most of the characters are returnees from Street Fighter 2, did they remix/orchestrate/arrange the SF2 music?
Seriously, Street Fighter to this day has arguably the greatest Fighting Game Music I've ever heard. The reasons why I say this, is because they've always felt so unique, because there was a corresponding stage/music that reflected the persona of that character so well.

With that in notion, yes, you got Street Fighter II Remix themes for SF:IV, Guile's Theme is extremely epic when you hear, it is simply incredible. I do like Ryu's SFII Theme Remix, however after seeing the SF:IV Anime Ryu vs Gouki Trailer, I have fallen in love with that orchestra SFII Ryu Theme. Simply put, it completely puts all other SFII Ryu Themes to utter shame, I am seriously hoping that Capcom either adds it as an option into the home console, or else on an OST, because I want to get my hands on that orchestrated version.

If you are someone like me, who loved the original unique themes of SFII, then you will not be disappointed with SF:IV's remixed versions, I cannot wait for the OST of it to be released.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Seriously, Street Fighter to this day has arguably the greatest Fighting Game Music I've ever heard. The reasons why I say this, is because they've always felt so unique, because there was a corresponding stage/music that reflected the persona of that character so well.
Exactly. Video game music is always so underrated by those who haven't heard some of the best ones, but Street Fighter II will always be on my list of favorite game musics, along with Sim City 3000, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, etc...

My favorite Honda's theme. The older version where the bass is so prominent and sounds a bit like a reggae riff.

You've just made my day. Thanks for telling about the SFIV music, I can't wait to hear it. I'm wondering if I should look for it on Youtube or something, or if I should wait to hear it until the game comes out on console (where I'm living probably won't ever have it on Arcade)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

You sir...are a disgrace.

On topic: Sagat is just a suped up Ryu.

**** man.

I'm so sick of playing fighting games where the number one character is just a buffed version of my main.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
When is Crimson Viper coming to the US, for the love of Christ?!
Oh, and the rest of the game too, I guess.
*claims the title of SWF's number one Viper fan*

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
When I was in Japan watching people play, I got kinda frustrated, because at the time, I didn't know how to Shoryuken, cancel, dash Shinkuu-Hadouken :laugh: . While other Ryu players where doing it at will, and due to the language barrier, I couldn't ask them how they where doing it, lmao.

Anyhow, I was having quite a bit of success up against Gief players, although I didn't throw out s.fk's as Mikey. Spacing was the key, and Ryu finally...FINALLY has the ability to space again, I mean, I've stated this before, however it just makes me completely happy to see Ryu doing that again, and playing to his strengths once more, unlike his SFIII counterparts who all had to deseperately rush down due to an overpowered universal option :mad: .

The only guy that I didn't get to see heavily when I was there was Dictator players, because on this tier list currently so far, he's placed so high, and yet I didn't see a whole lot of them. However Ryu vs Bison, it's annoying because Bison can Ex-Scissor through your projectiles...which can cause problems for Ryu.

I hope that Capcom doesn't do any changes, simply because I really like the way SF:IV already is, so I am hoping that Capcom doesn't do anymore tone downs or modifications, because the balance at this point is good. The only thing that they could possibly do for the home console is just improve Claw a tad, maybe that's it, otherwise, nothing should be done from a balance perspective.

Everyone can compete in SF:IV.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
^^^**** that.

Ryu for top tier *****es.

Shotos **** you all day n*ggas.

Also Ryu could rushdown in other SF's.

Just not SF3.

Well he could but Ken and Akuma did it way better.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
They need to get rid of Fuerte's infinite. Infinites are never a good thing really and they are just a turn off in competitive play IMO.

Other then that, they should leave the game alone.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Also Ryu could rushdown in other SF's.

Just not SF3.
Excluding the VS series, and talking about the true series (II, Alpha, III) everytime Ryu is made or forced to having to be a more rushdown oriented character, he does not play as well. Even his A2 and A3 versions had very good spacing capabilities, however the reason Ryu was able to "do" some rushdown in these versions was not because he had "good rushdown" capability (far from it), it was because he had good CC's and VC's, which are universal options and not Ryu's personal arsenal, since everyone can use CC's and VC's. If you remove CC and VC, Ryu simply no longer has a threatening rush game, however he still has a very strong spacing/zoning game.

SFIII Ryu is the only Ryu who has to rely solely upon rushdown and cannot space from full screen or half a distance away, while all the other Ryu's from SFII, and Alpha could space effectively well. The only time Ryu was good with a rushdown capability was in 2I, and that was mainly in part because he had one of the best super arts in the entire roster...Denjin 2-Stock. In fact his rushdown in here was actually worse then Ken's but 2-Stock Denjin simply just pushed him over the top.

In fact, look at all of the SFII, Alpha, and III series (excluding VS series, since they aren't part of the true SF series), and the ones that Ryu is strong in, he has either a strong or a powerful zoning/spacing game. Any other in which he has to severely rely upon a rushdown game, he doesn't do so hot.

Well he could but Ken and Akuma did it way better.
They will definitely be better, because they are more oriented to do so, look at ST. Ken's gameplay in comparison to ST. Ryu's gameplay, up close, Ken has way better options, due to his kicks, and more importantly his multi-hit grab. Gouki with his Dive kicks, aerial fireball, juggles galore, etc, etc, he has rushdown written all over him, however so far in SF:IV he can play a rushdown or a keep away game.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
They need to get rid of Fuerte's infinite. Infinites are never a good thing really and they are just a turn off in competitive play IMO.

El fuerte is still low tier Atm right?
(i have no idea what this has to do with his infinite)

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman

The thing is...you need to play against El Fuerte first before you say ban the infinite...because seriously...Fuerte players utilize it...and he's still ranked where he is on the tier list. In fact, it doesn't even improve his gameplay by a whole lot, I've actually taken the infinity, but only once...out of the 203498230943280 times I fought this Fuerte player.

It's not bad at all, and since it actually does help his gameplay somewhat, it should be left in, simply because it doesn't make him super powerful.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
The thing is...you need to play against El Fuerte first before you say ban the infinite...because seriously...Fuerte players utilize it...and he's still ranked where he is on the tier list. In fact, it doesn't even improve his gameplay by a whole lot, I've actually taken the infinity, but only once...out of the 203498230943280 times I fought this Fuerte player.

It's not bad at all, and since it actually does help his gameplay somewhat, it should be left in, simply because it doesn't make him super powerful.
yea this is what i was trying to say.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
IN SF4 Ryu can do it all it seems. But rushdown is easier for everyone due to FADC then you can go for a grab, tick throw, special or a poke.

I like games that give all the characters good universal options since it usually balances the game out nicely.

SF3's parry was fail as a universal option.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Personally I enjoyed the addition of parrying, but I can see why people didn't like it. I guess the focus system was created to compromise the fans of II and III.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Apologies for the double post, but there's new news on SF IV.

Ono has confirmed himself that Japan's getting the game February 2009.

Cammy and Gen (who called it!) are confirmed to be in the consoles versions of SF IV.

Link to new screenshots of Dan, Fei Long, Cammy, Gen.
http://www.gamed.nl/view/50309

I'm starting to think that if they'll ever include SF III characters, it might be in the second or third iteration of SF IV (you know they'll make one).

So enjoy.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
A new rumor has spread for SF IV.
Rose might be in.

Here's a picture:
http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n82009cy1.jpg

I wonder if this is real or not. I'm hoping that it is since Rose was a really cool character in the Alpha series.

Assuming that this picture is real, it's possible to add 2 or 3 characters more to the roster if they take out the random box and the timer in the middle.

The random box on the other side of Seth is really bothering me. It makes me question if this is real or not. It just sounds too good to be true.

Remember, this is still a rumor.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
A new rumor has spread for SF IV.
Rose might be in.

Here's a picture:
http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n82009cy1.jpg

I wonder if this is real or not. I'm hoping that it is since Rose was a really cool character in the Alpha series.

Assuming that this picture is real, it's possible to add 2 or 3 characters more to the roster if they take out the random box and the timer in the middle.

The random box on the other side of Seth is really bothering me. It makes me question if this is real or not. It just sounds too good to be true.

Remember, this is still a rumor.
Most likely to be false, storyline-wise Rose is meant to be dead, Bison "absorbed"
her to live on after he "died" in Alpha. Then again, Gouken is meant to be dead as well...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Most likely to be false, storyline-wise Rose is meant to be dead, Bison "absorbed"
her to live on after he "died" in Alpha. Then again, Gouken is meant to be dead as well...
Bison was supposed to be dead as well. SF IV likes bringing back dead people :).

EDIT: Then again, Capcom never told us the fate of these characters. A lot of what players concluded were merely assumptions.

Top Bottom