• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

kr3wman

Smash Master
Haha, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm just oblivious on how to efficiently use the new characters in this game.

El Fuerte just looked intimidating to me, that's all. I'm glad to know that Viper has some hidden potential. She was one of the new characters I wanted to try out.

Yeah, Zangief looks really good. I like it when fighting games make large characters useful.

Thanks for posting the list by the way.
I mean, there's still tons of characters that still aren't playable and stuff ; Fei Long, Dan, Sakura, Gouken. He still didn't rate Gouki too. And yeah, the game hasn't been out yet for a year, so I think new stuff are going to be discovered.

Sheesh, that sound like someone with high hopes about brawl or something.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I think that the Viper-faithful players are really passionate about improving her standing and making her into the best fighter she can be. I've seen that kind of passion for a few characters in other games as well, such as Samus in Brawl and Captain Falcon in Melee, but I've never seen it done to this great of a degree. I guess it just goes to show you that a girl with big hips gets all kinds of lovin'.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Do you think Akuma might be broken again? I watched some videos of him and I couldn't tell if he still had his defense handicap.

kr3wman

Smash Master
That's good to hear. The few times I've played Street Fighter 3 for an extended period of time I'm almost always Akuma, so I'd hate it if my main character was banned.
He's pretty good, by all accounts. Best projectile in the game and a broken ultra lululul. He's the king of comebacks since his ultra scale with how much health he has left.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Gouki can't be low-tier. He's GOUKI. Except for Marvel or something. But he's only low tier in Marvel because all Street Fighter characters are, except for Dhalsim, who's probably the most underrated character in the game.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Gouki can't be low-tier. He's GOUKI. Except for Marvel or something. But he's only low tier in Marvel because all Street Fighter characters are, except for Dhalsim, who's probably the most underrated character in the game.
Well, compared to Ryu and Ken in Marvel vs Capcom, Akuma wasn't as good as he could've been, since lots of the things that made him powerful in the game didn't carry over well into the new system that Marvel vs Capcom had. He's still powerful, but it's the only game where Ryu might actually more interesting than he is.

Broken Ultra, eh? So either it's not the Shun Goku Satsu or they powered it up, eh? Can't wait to see how they did it in this one. I've already got an idea of who I'm going to try out first; Fei Long if he's not unlockable (man, it's been a while for him, hasn't it?), the new characters, Sagat, Dhalsim, and maybe Vega (or Balrog)... and then everyone else.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a giant tier centric thread.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
First tier list by Ino, the guy that defeated Daigo in the CvS grand finals at Evo2k3.

S
Zangief

AA
Sagat

A
Dictator
Ryu
Rufus

B
Chun
Ken
Boxer
Abel
Blanka

C
Viper
Fuerte
Guile

D
Honda
Dhalsim

F
Claw

I luled at Zangief being top, but ****, Claw is bad.

Sakura gameplay vid I forgot : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZKwKWEBzTU
Although I feel that Gief is great however he shouldn't be that high, Sagat is better then Gief so far, because in SF:IV, Gief actually has tough match ups, Guile and Ryu to a smaller extent comes to mind, because they can space Gief out of his gameplan which is landing SPD, and Guile can almost completely shut Gief out with his projectiles. Even Sagat does effectively well up against Gief due to his powerful spacing abilities.

Sagat so far is the only character in which I cannot think of having a bad match up against anyone thus far. He has a much faster projectile then Ryu, and he has massive poking range, huge power damage, a great modified Tiger Knee, Tiger Uppercut hurts like h*ll, and his Super and Ultra are easily linkable.

He is to me the best SF:IV character thus far, also, no hate towards Gief, because I feel that Gief is Top 3, but not #1. However, don't let this tier list fool anyone, because from myself having played this game when I was in Japan, I can assure you that so far, everyone can be competitive, there has been no super high BS discovered yet that makes someone absolutely broken, so to all the people who cry for balance, SF:IV so far has been good on that department.

All I know is, that my boy Ryu has easy linkables to his super and ultra which helps him out alot, not to mention the fact that his fireball is actually legit now as well, giving him back his most potent spacing tool once again.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Although I feel that Gief is great however he shouldn't be that high, Sagat is better then Gief so far, because in SF:IV, Gief actually has tough match ups, Guile and Ryu to a smaller extent comes to mind, because they can space Gief out of his gameplan which is landing SPD, and Guile can almost completely shut Gief out with his projectiles. Even Sagat does effectively well up against Gief due to his powerful spacing abilities.

Sagat so far is the only character in which I cannot think of having a bad match up against anyone thus far. He has a much faster projectile then Ryu, and he has massive poking range, huge power damage, a great modified Tiger Knee, Tiger Uppercut hurts like h*ll, and his Super and Ultra are easily linkable.

He is to me the best SF:IV character thus far, also, no hate towards Gief, because I feel that Gief is Top 3, but not #1. However, don't let this tier list fool anyone, because from myself having played this game when I was in Japan, I can assure you that so far, everyone can be competitive, there has been no super high BS discovered yet that makes someone absolutely broken, so to all the people who cry for balance, SF:IV so far has been good on that department.

All I know is, that my boy Ryu has easy linkables to his super and ultra which helps him out alot, not to mention the fact that his fireball is actually legit now as well, giving him back his most potent spacing tool once again.
Gief has no bad matchups. Guile is feeling bad right now and Dhalsim and Claw are very hard to win with. Ino said himself that with his Abel he doesn't lose more than a couple of rounds against any Dhalsim he fights.

Ryu, Guile and Sagat can space Gief, but they have to play like ******* because as soon as Gief gets close and you make an error in your blocking string you're getting SPD'ed, and since now Gief has options to follow his SPDs you probably be EX-green-handed and then SPD'ed again.

EDIT :

There's gonna be a full-length Anime Movie for SFIV. Studio 4C are the ones doing the animation. Let's just hope it's better than Alpha Generations.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41041.html

Watch this. Too good.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Gief has no bad matchups. Guile is feeling bad right now and Dhalsim and Claw are very hard to win with. Ino said himself that with his Abel he doesn't lose more than a couple of rounds against any Dhalsim he fights.

Ryu, Guile and Sagat can space Gief, but they have to play like ******* because as soon as Gief gets close and you make an error in your blocking string you're getting SPD'ed, and since now Gief has options to follow his SPDs you probably be EX-green-handed and then SPD'ed again.

EDIT :

There's gonna be a full-length Anime Movie for SFIV. Studio 4C are the ones doing the animation. Let's just hope it's better than Alpha Generations.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41041.html

Watch this. Too good.
How is that "not" a bad match up?

Ino is only ONE person , and quite frankly he does not hold all the almighty cards to how SF:IV is.

Once Gief gets in on anyone, he becomes a complete monster, this has been the way Zangief has been since, well, SFII. You ever seen a CE Gief, or HF Gief when he gets in on you? C.mk on block into SPD is an absolute nightmare I tell you. Have you seen Kunai's ST Gief when he got in on A. Valle's O. Sagat? Gief had waay more options back in his early CE/HF days after a SPD then he does now in SF:IV, this isn't anything "new". It's just that they didn't nerf his SPD to snot, and it feels more SFII like then in other previous incarnations.

I find it hilarious that you use the term "*******" for Ryu, Sagat, and Guile's gameplay, considering that spacing with a projectile is an important part of their gameplan anyhow, so as to why it shouldn't be used to confront Gief would not make any sense. Anyone who tries to rush Gief down with Ryu, Guile or Sagat are complete idiots I'm sorry to say, because spacing is the key to beating a Gief.

Maybe, I stand wrong on Ryu having an "advantage", the match up feels alot more like whomever plays a better game wins.

However to say that Gief does not have any bad match ups against Sagat, Guile and Blanka at this point is absolutely ridiculous. Sagat with Low Tigers causes huge problems for Gief, and Sagat's s.fk stuffs out Gief's jump in's, considering that I've seen people trying to trade shots with Sagat's s.fk, it's usually 4-5 times, before they finally trade in hits. "Once" Gief gets in close to Sagat then it becomes only an even match up, as Sagat can control this area as well as Gief can.

That isn't even all yet for why Gief has a difficult time rushing down on Sagat, at max screen, if you lariat through Sagat's Low Tiger shot, he actually recovers faster then you and can then do a High Tiger shot to hit Zangief before he even recovers. You do Lariat from Halfscreen away (One of Gief's best tactics might I add) and Sagat can do >+short into Tiger Knee and land this on you every single time, knocking you to the floor, which puts Sagat at the advantage and initiative.

This shuts down one of Gief's most important tactics to getting in on opponents, not to mention meter building as well. Banishing Fist is not good up against Sagat, only Ex-Banishing Fist is good, and that is only if Sagat actually gets hit with it, otherwise, Sagat can still recover faster then Gief and punish him with almost whatever he feels like.

However, if Zangief gets a knockdown, this isn't ocv against Sagat either, because his Tiger Uppercut can trade shots with Gief's cross ups and his meaty's as well. Ex-Tiger Uppercut completely blows out ALL of Gief's cross ups and meaty's, if the Sagat has meter to spare, so even on knock down, it's not for free.

When Sagat has meter, it's insane to try and rush in on Sagat, because he can easily land this on you, and it's over. If Sagat has both Ultra and two bars of EX, it's even more suicide to walk in on a Sagat with Gief.

Simply put, up against Sagat, Zangief cannot utilize some of his most potent forms of getting on him, this results in Zangief having to play a much more sound game then Sagat does, this forces the Gief player to having to play patient and forcing him to turtle more, which is not a strong point of Gief's gameplay. So this is definitely a difficult match up on any regards.

Guile does great up against Zangief, this match up feels a heck of alot like HF Guile vs HF Gief, but more like ST Guile vs ST Gief. Because of the sheer speed recovery of Sonic Boom, Ex-Banishing Fist is not that good against Guile unlike other fireball characters, unless you are so close, you land the hit on Guile, otherwise, Guile recovers so fast, he's able to block and combo you afterward. Sonic Boom for spacing forces Gief to having to do something, and with Guile either moving or crouching this will either result in Guile punishing you with his c.forward, other pokes, SB, Flash Kick or what not.

C.FP and Flashkick will beat out Gief's jump in's and at the worst, will trade off, however this is again to Guile's advantage simply due to the fact that he gains his positioning with SB again.

Even once you are in, this match up is imo, more difficult then Sagat's close up, because Guile has the pokes to prevent Gief from truly getting in. SB, c.forward, all the likes of which are difficult for Gief to counter. This match up is very ST like, although it isn't as bad, this match up is quite tough for Gief.

I completely forgot to mention Blanka previously, however he is one of Gief's most difficult match ups, due to the fact that Blanka's standing pokes beat out most of Gief's pokes and meaty's which puts Zangief at a disadvantage. Zangief has a difficult time up against Blanka Roll as well, unless you tries to bait it. Electricity is a problem for Gief because he can't cross up well up against Blanka, not to mention Ex-Blanka Roll blows out Gief's cross ups. So even at corners, Blanka can easily get out of there and avoid Gief's corner traps.

Gief is great, but he's definitely not #1, nor does he not have any bad match ups, as I just posted above. Sagat is the only one so far that I see whom either fights evenly with characters, or else has a clear distinct advantage over, there has been no real strong counter to his gameplay yet, so he's really #1, not Gief.

kr3wman

Smash Master
How is that "not" a bad match up?

Ino is only ONE person , and quite frankly he does not hold all the almighty cards to how SF:IV is.

Once Gief gets in on anyone, he becomes a complete monster, this has been the way Zangief has been since, well, SFII. You ever seen a CE Gief, or HF Gief when he gets in on you? C.mk on block into SPD is an absolute nightmare I tell you. Have you seen Kunai's ST Gief when he got in on A. Valle's O. Sagat? Gief had waay more options back in his early CE/HF days after a SPD then he does now in SF:IV, this isn't anything "new". It's just that they didn't nerf his SPD to snot, and it feels more SFII like then in other previous incarnations.

I find it hilarious that you use the term "*******" for Ryu, Sagat, and Guile's gameplay, considering that spacing with a projectile is an important part of their gameplan anyhow, so as to why it shouldn't be used to confront Gief would not make any sense. Anyone who tries to rush Gief down with Ryu, Guile or Sagat are complete idiots I'm sorry to say, because spacing is the key to beating a Gief.

Maybe, I stand wrong on Ryu having an "advantage", the match up feels alot more like whomever plays a better game wins.

However to say that Gief does not have any bad match ups against Sagat, Guile and Blanka at this point is absolutely ridiculous. Sagat with Low Tigers causes huge problems for Gief, and Sagat's s.fk stuffs out Gief's jump in's, considering that I've seen people trying to trade shots with Sagat's s.fk, it's usually 4-5 times, before they finally trade in hits. "Once" Gief gets in close to Sagat then it becomes only an even match up, as Sagat can control this area as well as Gief can.

That isn't even all yet for why Gief has a difficult time rushing down on Sagat, at max screen, if you lariat through Sagat's Low Tiger shot, he actually recovers faster then you and can then do a High Tiger shot to hit Zangief before he even recovers. You do Lariat from Halfscreen away (One of Gief's best tactics might I add) and Sagat can do >+short into Tiger Knee and land this on you every single time, knocking you to the floor, which puts Sagat at the advantage and initiative.

This shuts down one of Gief's most important tactics to getting in on opponents, not to mention meter building as well. Banishing Fist is not good up against Sagat, only Ex-Banishing Fist is good, and that is only if Sagat actually gets hit with it, otherwise, Sagat can still recover faster then Gief and punish him with almost whatever he feels like.

However, if Zangief gets a knockdown, this isn't ocv against Sagat either, because his Tiger Uppercut can trade shots with Gief's cross ups and his meaty's as well. Ex-Tiger Uppercut completely blows out ALL of Gief's cross ups and meaty's, if the Sagat has meter to spare, so even on knock down, it's not for free.

When Sagat has meter, it's insane to try and rush in on Sagat, because he can easily land this on you, and it's over. If Sagat has both Ultra and two bars of EX, it's even more suicide to walk in on a Sagat with Gief.

Simply put, up against Sagat, Zangief cannot utilize some of his most potent forms of getting on him, this results in Zangief having to play a much more sound game then Sagat does, this forces the Gief player to having to play patient and forcing him to turtle more, which is not a strong point of Gief's gameplay. So this is definitely a difficult match up on any regards.

Guile does great up against Zangief, this match up feels a heck of alot like HF Guile vs HF Gief, but more like ST Guile vs ST Gief. Because of the sheer speed recovery of Sonic Boom, Ex-Banishing Fist is not that good against Guile unlike other fireball characters, unless you are so close, you land the hit on Guile, otherwise, Guile recovers so fast, he's able to block and combo you afterward. Sonic Boom for spacing forces Gief to having to do something, and with Guile either moving or crouching this will either result in Guile punishing you with his c.forward, other pokes, SB, Flash Kick or what not.

C.FP and Flashkick will beat out Gief's jump in's and at the worst, will trade off, however this is again to Guile's advantage simply due to the fact that he gains his positioning with SB again.

Even once you are in, this match up is imo, more difficult then Sagat's close up, because Guile has the pokes to prevent Gief from truly getting in. SB, c.forward, all the likes of which are difficult for Gief to counter. This match up is very ST like, although it isn't as bad, this match up is quite tough for Gief.

I completely forgot to mention Blanka previously, however he is one of Gief's most difficult match ups, due to the fact that Blanka's standing pokes beat out most of Gief's pokes and meaty's which puts Zangief at a disadvantage. Zangief has a difficult time up against Blanka Roll as well, unless you tries to bait it. Electricity is a problem for Gief because he can't cross up well up against Blanka, not to mention Ex-Blanka Roll blows out Gief's cross ups. So even at corners, Blanka can easily get out of there and avoid Gief's corner traps.

Gief is great, but he's definitely not #1, nor does he not have any bad match ups, as I just posted above. Sagat is the only one so far that I see whom either fights evenly with characters, or else has a clear distinct advantage over, there has been no real strong counter to his gameplay yet, so he's really #1, not Gief.
I give you Blanka and Sagat, but I'm still pretty sure Zangief beats out the others.

Sagat's bad matchup : Gouki lulz.

And beside, the game is not even out yet ''officially'' in the US, and there's still new characters to be included in the game. So please, I don't want anymore long drawn-out post on Gief matchups... T_T

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I give you Blanka and Sagat, but I'm still pretty sure Zangief beats out the others.

Sagat's bad matchup : Gouki lulz.

And beside, the game is not even out yet ''officially'' in the US, and there's still new characters to be included in the game. So please, I don't want anymore long drawn-out post on Gief matchups... T_T
Let's not make excuses of the not "officially" out in the US what not, considering it seemed like you disagreed with me, and wanted to debate, I've had my own personal exp. playing SF:IV already, so I do have an idea of what's going on, so let's continue...

Where not talking about "characters" that aren't included currently, we are talking about the current Street Fighter Cast that is playable, meaning the Arcade. Sorry, but Gouki doesn't even beat out Sagat cleanly, it's just one of those even match ups that results in who plays better will win out the match up. Gouki has to play more keep away, and cannot rely heavily upon his rushdown game, while if Sagat gets in and gets two licks on Gouki, it's ocv due to Gouki having such pathetic life.

In SF:IV Sagat has either even match ups (His only even match ups so far is Abel and Gouki, that's it), or distinct advantages on others (everyone else), and this does not surprise me at all, considering the way Sagat is built as a character, he's always been either extremely powerful or very solid due to the nature of how he plays like...great reach, incredible damage potential, fast projectiles, etc, etc.

Lastly, Gief doesn't beat out Guile in SF:IV, I haven't seen a good Guile player struggle enormously against a good Gief player yet in SF:IV, this match up is almost ST like, just not ST lopsided to Guile's favor, but clear enough that Gief struggles alot against Guile.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Let's not make excuses of the not "officially" out in the US what not, considering it seemed like you disagreed with me, and wanted to debate, I've had my own personal exp. playing SF:IV already, so I do have an idea of what's going on, so let's continue...

Where not talking about "characters" that aren't included currently, we are talking about the current Street Fighter Cast that is playable, meaning the Arcade. Sorry, but Gouki doesn't even beat out Sagat cleanly, it's just one of those even match ups that results in who plays better will win out the match up. Gouki has to play more keep away, and cannot rely heavily upon his rushdown game, while if Sagat gets in and gets two licks on Gouki, it's ocv due to Gouki having such pathetic life.

In SF:IV Sagat has either even match ups (His only even match ups so far is Abel and Gouki, that's it), or distinct advantages on others (everyone else), and this does not surprise me at all, considering the way Sagat is built as a character, he's always been either extremely powerful or very solid due to the nature of how he plays like...great reach, incredible damage potential, fast projectiles, etc, etc.

Lastly, Gief doesn't beat out Guile in SF:IV, I haven't seen a good Guile player struggle enormously against a good Gief player yet in SF:IV, this match up is almost ST like, just not ST lopsided to Guile's favor, but clear enough that Gief struggles alot against Guile.
I agree for Sagat, But I don't know about the Guile/Gief one. Even if a Guile can zone and space very well, I still think Guile does not have the tools for the situations where he is being pressured and against a opponent's wall -All around, not necessarily with just Gief.-

Although, I would like to know more about Gouki. Do you have any tips for him? He was my main in Alpha and SFIII, and we don't have SFIV machines around here. I'm stuck suscribing to people who upload vids and watching them all day, and most of the time I can't really get anything from these vids.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I agree for Sagat, But I don't know about the Guile/Gief one. Even if a Guile can zone and space very well, I still think Guile does not have the tools for the situations where he is being pressured and against a opponent's wall -All around, not necessarily with just Gief.-
As I said earlier, Guile's Sonic Boom is one of the key potents to keeping Gief on the defensive, because Ex-Banish is no good, unless you are super close and can actually have it land, otherwise it's dangerous to use it, because Guile recovers so fast, if you whiff, or have it blocked, Guile>Gief at that point. Flash kick and C.fp beat or trade shots with Gief's jump ins, resulting in the favor of Guile, if both took damage, so what, Guile obtains back the most important arsenal within his strategy to winning...positioning.

This forces Zangief to having to start all over again, and even if Gief gets in close, Guile still has all of his great pokes, which he's had since SFII, and all of these still keep Gief on his toes. Actually, I've talked to people who've been playing this match up alot, and most are starting to agree now that finally within close range of Guile with Zangief, it's actually alot more difficult then when your in closer up against Sagat, due to the fact of Guile's powerful poking game. Where as, it's the opposite with Sagat, where it's nearly impossible to get in on him, but when you do it's slightly easier in comparison to Guile.

This same strategy is the same one that Guile has been applying against Zangief since their days against each other from Street Fighter II. It hasn't change much if at all, and in SF:IV it looks to be just like that.

Although, I would like to know more about Gouki. Do you have any tips for him? He was my main in Alpha and SFIII, and we don't have SFIV machines around here. I'm stuck suscribing to people who upload vids and watching them all day, and most of the time I can't really get anything from these vids.
I'm not a big Gouki fan, however he's rush down base, and can also play a keep away game, SGS for his Super and Ultra is not comboable, or there is no known comboable links to it thus far. It has been used really when opponents least expect it, either on whiffed attacks, AA (although tough to land without Gouki getting hit himself), or when your doing string pokes on block and unexpectedly going into SGS.

However, look to srk.com, they'll have better strats from people who play Gouki, since I've always and will forever be, a devoted Ryu player :chuckle:

kr3wman

Smash Master
I'm not a big Gouki fan, however he's rush down base, and can also play a keep away game, SGS for his Super and Ultra is not comboable, or there is no known comboable links to it thus far. It has been used really when opponents least expect it, either on whiffed attacks, AA (although tough to land without Gouki getting hit himself), or when your doing string pokes on block and unexpectedly going into SGS.

However, look to srk.com, they'll have better strats from people who play Gouki, since I've always and will forever be, a devoted Ryu player :chuckle:
I think that comboing into the SGS would clearly be broken, since Gouki could probably 0-death certain characters with low defense if his health is low and his ultra is charged up full. I think that randomly throwing it out is a good option, but at the same time most people will see the ultra being ready to be activated and change their game plan according to it.

Altho I think you can link his super SGS after some blocked pokes because I saw in certain vids that opponents can jump away after the ultra ''dramatic'' starting animation but not the super ''flash'' thingie. But I can't say it for sure since I can't try it myself, as always.

EDIT : Check this at around 2:30. The player links close medium punch to Ultra. Could Rufus get out of it? I think he could, but yeah, still looks awesome.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sorry to change the subject a little, but has anyone seen the new character select screen? There's room for 6 more possible characters if Seth and Gouken don't occupy a spot. Knowing that Dan, Fei Long, and Cammy are in it, there's only three slots left over.

SRK has a topic about it, just thought I'd bring the discussion here.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I think that comboing into the SGS would clearly be broken, since Gouki could probably 0-death certain characters with low defense if his health is low and his ultra is charged up full. I think that randomly throwing it out is a good option, but at the same time most people will see the ultra being ready to be activated and change their game plan according to it.
It doesn't take off alot, his regular SGS only does the same amount of damage that most typical supers do, however his Ultra does roughly around 45% damage. The differences is that the Ultra version moves twice as fast, and travels nearly or close to full screen I believe. Even if it was comboable, I don't particularly see it being overpowered at all, unless it was taking off insane damage like his older counterparts.

So far, Gouki is definitely playable, and not overpowered, his combo's are quite strong, as well as his rushdown, however with his super and ultra being SGS, it requires alot more thinking on the Gouki players part now, so within the next months we'll probably start seeing much more calculated and definitely better results with how to connect SGS.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Sorry to change the subject a little, but has anyone seen the new character select screen? There's room for 6 more possible characters if Seth and Gouken don't occupy a spot. Knowing that Dan, Fei Long, and Cammy are in it, there's only three slots left over.

SRK has a topic about it, just thought I'd bring the discussion here.
I think Seth is confirmed playable, although he will probably be banned if he isn´t nerfed. Teleporting back and forth doing double Sonic Booms...

No word about Gouken yet... And no one has seen is super still since the CPU just waste his meter on EX moves.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Mickey told me so far that Ryu's s.fk is able to stuff out Gief's jump in's and also his Banishing Fist, which is a huge +++. With that in hand, this would make it much more difficult for Gief to try and get in to get his positioning and SPD's, since Ryu also has Hadouken's to space from far range as well. Imo so far, if you play this match up right with Ryu, this should be a 5-5 match up, because he has the projectile for long distance spacing, he has Ex-Hadou's, S.fk is a good AA, as well as a good Banish stopper, and instead of S.fk for AA, you can use Shoryuken and it can be canceled into Ryu's Super or Ultra.

On another note, Sagat's Tiger Knee seems to feel alot more beastly, so far, I don't think there's a way to punish his Tiger Knee if it hits with the last hit on block.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
On another note, Sagat's Tiger Knee seems to feel alot more beastly, so far, I don't think there's a way to punish his Tiger Knee if it hits with the last hit on block.
Yeah, I experienced that first hand at Evo. It's really difficult to get Sagat under the ropes. Although, I didn't know how to use the focus/saving system at the time.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Read them and discuss folks, the Japan Tier List Table is now out, and here are the rankings of the current thus far.

1 - Sagat
2 - Vega (Dictator)
2 - Ryu
2 - Zangief
4 - Blanka
6 - Rufus
6 - Akuma
8 - M.Bison (Boxer)
9 - Chun Li
10 - Ken
11 - Abel
12 - Dhalsim
12 - Guile
14 - C.Viper
15 - Honda
16 - El Fuerte
17 - Balrog (Claw)

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1194/sf4tierof3.jpg

Actually, I am quite shocked at where Dictator and Ryu are ranked, even above Zangief himself, however top players from the US here have been saying the this tier list is actually very accurate, and that Dictator and Ryu are indeed that strong, even within playing here in the US it's how it's feeling as well.

So this doesn't just bold with just Japan, but also within the US as well, still, it's crazy to see Ryu being that strong in here. However, I guess I am not surprised with the effective options that he has, plus he's capable of linking his Super/Ultra very effeciently as well.

Interesting tier list none the less.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Just gonna look at the top five here

1 - Sagat - No surprise here
2 - Vega (Dictator) - Again, a pretty obvious choice. I knew he'd make the top five
2 - Ryu - Just surprised to see him above Zangief
2 - Zangief - I hate fighting Zangief. I really do, he's just so freaking good.
4 - Blanka - Kinda surprised me here

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
My first experience playing Ryu, I felt that he was strong and very solid, however speaking with people who have almost frequent access to SF:IV, they have indicated that Ryu has 3 really powerful options of linking into his Super/Ultra. This is a huge plus for him as a character already, since he already has good pokes, and a very strong footsie game, this normal staple elements are exactly what has made Ryu strong back in the SFII days, and which inherently now he has back, and this was truly how Ryu's game play is/should always be like (I hated the fact that in some versions, he was forced to be more aggressive, which was never his strength, positioning and zoning was his true strength).

Blanka being #4 wouldn't surprise me either, simply because his Electricity, Blanka Roll, Ex-Rolls, and his pokes are very strong. He also has some of the best jump ins in SF:IV, so all of this would accumulate to him being very effective.

The only character ranked extremely high that I don't know much about is Dictator, lmao, and Sagat...I said it earlier, I am not surprised he's #1 in SF:IV, he's just like Ryu in SF:IV with no glaring weaknesses, but with much better tools, reach, and damage potential.

However, don't start thinking that Sagat owns everyone with an ironfist, so far, this game is very good and characters have been really mixed into the frey so far, with everyone contending very well, not only that, but it has been stated that although Sagat is #1, he's not super dominant. Anyhow, balance was never a huge factor into this, my biggest growing concern with SF:IV was the gameplay and so far it has shown to be a very strong and deep fighting game, and is poised to keep on doing just that.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I agree with most of the tier list. Only thing that I'd switch would be Ryu and Zangief, and switch Blanka with Gouki/Akuma.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why is Claw bottom tier? He's usually good in like... every game he's in lol.

I've seen some vids and he looks alright, but then again they're just vids. I'm not really arguing with his position since I don't know much of anything about the game I'm just curious.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Why is Claw bottom tier? He's usually good in like... every game he's in lol.

I've seen some vids and he looks alright, but then again they're just vids. I'm not really arguing with his position since I don't know much of anything about the game I'm just curious.
Claw has low stamina, and he has a lot of bad matchups compared to other characters. Even though he's at the bottom of the tier list, the gap between him and others aren't too great.

cody420

Smash Cadet
Read them and discuss folks, the Japan Tier List Table is now out, and here are the rankings of the current thus far.

1 - Sagat
2 - Vega (Dictator)
2 - Ryu
2 - Zangief
4 - Blanka
6 - Rufus
6 - Akuma
8 - M.Bison (Boxer)
9 - Chun Li
10 - Ken
11 - Abel
12 - Dhalsim
12 - Guile
14 - C.Viper
15 - Honda
16 - El Fuerte
17 - Balrog (Claw)

Actually, I am quite shocked at where Dictator and Ryu are ranked, even above Zangief himself, however top players from the US here have been saying the this tier list is actually very accurate, and that Dictator and Ryu are indeed that strong, even within playing here in the US it's how it's feeling as well.

So this doesn't just bold with just Japan, but also within the US as well, still, it's crazy to see Ryu being that strong in here. However, I guess I am not surprised with the effective options that he has, plus he's capable of linking his Super/Ultra very effeciently as well.

Interesting tier list none the less.

Bisons the DICTATOR
Balrogs the BOXER
Vegas the CLAW
WTF u switch em around for?

cody420

Smash Cadet
Ya but he called Bison the Boxer, when Balrog is literally a boxer. Vega literally uses claws & Bison is liteally the Dictator of SF. Y did he switch em around?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
America switched the names around to prevent lawsuits with M. Bison being close to Mike Tyson or something like that.

In Japan:

M. Bison-Boxer
Balrog-Claw
Vega-Dictator

cody420

Smash Cadet
Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.
Thats not true cuz they already made a SF movie, wit VanDam, & they had the names set correctly. This dude jus has them switched around.

Plus, Y would they switch names? Thats wut they wer called on SF2.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

1 - Sagat
2 - Vega (Dictator)
2 - Ryu
2 - Zangief
4 - Blanka
6 - Rufus
6 - Akuma
8 - M.Bison (Boxer)
9 - Chun Li
10 - Ken
11 - Abel
12 - Dhalsim
12 - Guile
14 - C.Viper
15 - Honda
16 - El Fuerte
17 - Balrog (Claw)

why is Akuma below Blanka? if anything, it should be the other way around, also seeing Ryu a spot above Ken really took me by surprise there. I'm kinda of dissapointed that C.viper is near the bottom as I was expecting him to be good.

Top Bottom