• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I've been able to play SF:IV again during my frame going to Japan and back again (twice in one year to Japan is alot for me).

All I know is...I hate fighting Sim when I'm Ryu :laugh:...that match up is annoying as hell. Stupid limbs, teleports, and regular AA's make this extremely annoying, I find myself having to play patient and hoping to land a big combo, or score the knock down to gain the initiative.

However, overall, I've actually done very good with Ryu up against some solid peeps in SF:IV there. I didn't know Ex-Tatsu was so powerful until I kept getting hit by it in a combo by other Ryu players, so I started to incorporate the combo for myself. I fought a few Rufus players who where very good, there was the Zangief, Sagat players as usual, and Dictator has been receiving lots of love, it's not a surprise since he's incredibly powerful.

Yet I find myself doing quite well against Dictator, although I feel this match up can go 50/50, since Ex-Scissor goes through Hadouken, so you have to watch out, however Bison needs to fear Shoryu FADC as well.

Anyhow, the lastest TRF Tournament held in Japan, Ruu the Ryu player (if you guys are familiar with 3S, then you should know who Ruu is, because he's the Ryu player from there) won the tournament, beating a Sagat player in the Winner's and then defeating the Dictator player in the Final's.

Jumping MP land into Ultra ftw was funny to beat Dictator ftw.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Anyhow, the lastest TRF Tournament held in Japan, Ruu the Ryu player (if you guys are familiar with 3S, then you should know who Ruu is, because he's the Ryu player from there) won the tournament, beating a Sagat player in the Winner's and then defeating the Dictator player in the Final's.
I haven't seen any videos of Ruu playing in SF IV yet.

And less than two more months until SF IV is released on consoles.

Mr_X

Smash Apprentice
In case you missed it... ((From OXM))

Street Fight IV 9.5
+ Does the Impossible: Preserves the past, embraces the future.
+ Fantastic art direction..
-Anime sequences don’t add much to the experience
? Seth, have you met Dr. Manhattan?

Online play is really where Street Fighter IV will really shine. The whole game is clearly weighted toward Live competition; the more you play, the more titles and icons you unlock to show off to other people in the multi-player lobby. That's really no surprise since SF has always been about human competition, and Live is clearly the next evolution of player match-ups. We also liked the ability for anyone on our friends list to challenge us in the middle o our match-as if they walked up next to us in the arcade and dropped in a quarter.

Conclusion: It should make Capcom proud as well as every fighting gamer proud. Street Fighter IV says we can be trusted with our own legacy, that you can respect the past while living in the present day, and that sequels –even highly anticipated ones with a legion of passionate fans-don’t have to stink.
(awesome) Vids can be found HERE.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Minato

穏やかじゃない

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that Gootecks link is good for those people who started out playing SFIII or 3S as their first serious Street Fighter game, and thus will need a learning curve on the huge changes from SFIII to SF:IV since SF:IV plays more like SFII like.

It was really needed, because from my own experience, it was frustrating talking to some SFIII heads who got to play SF:IV and deemed it "sucKed" because you could space with projectiles and that FA wasn't as good as Parry...:rolleyes: .

Anyhow, the new vids look nice, I really love the way Fei Long moves and attacks, simply beautiful on his fluidity! Also, Dan is hilarious, I love how animated he is, especially him running back and forth, hahaha, beautifully animated.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
They seemed to put a lot of love and care into making Dan's movements.

Can't wait to beat people online with Dan.

I have work tomorrow during the 1UP coverage, so I'm going to have to wait until Wednesday to see it.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I don't have a PS3 or 360, so I won't be getting this anytime soon, but the gameplay looks a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
The fact that the other Dan was wearing a similar outfit to Goku made me lol.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Dan looks like sooooooo much fun to play. I love the one throw where he just grabs you by the scruff of your shirt and just punches you in the face. There's nothing classy about it, nothing super-refined and/or methodical; he just hauls off and ****ing plows you. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

On the downside, his voice over is definitely annoying. -_- I actually liked the voice over that they had for Dan in the other games. It fit his character well. This incarnation of his voice sounds like a pre-pubescent teen.

Smooth Criminal

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Yeah, I really don't care for Dan's English voice. It's just not as energetic in the established way.

But those videos were awesome (had to go to Youtube though).

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Am I the only one excited for Gen? They made him even more of a badass.
You're not the only one, man. He was one of my most commonly used secondaries in Alpha 3 (you know, the third installment of that black sheep of a Street Fighter series). I am REALLY hyped about Rose, Dan, and Gouki/Akuma though (especially Gouki; I have a feeling he's going to be my main).

In speaking of which, I put down my reservation for the Collector's Edition of SF4 at my Gamestop today. Yes, yes...it's an extra thirty-something odd bucks but I get goodies.

Smooth Criminal

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Here's a video showcasing alot of the Ultras and yes, it shows Fei Long's AND Gen's Ultra, so we can finally see it motion.

Youtube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAX47MLyZtc

Here's a higher quality of it from the Japanese Blog Site
http://blog-imgs-27.fc2.com/t/o/k/tokkablog/play.html?id=sm5773286

Fei Long's Ultra looks very, very similar to his A3 Lvl 3 Super only, since it does a 2039482309482 rapid attacks ending with the dramatic Bruce Lee flying kick. Honestly, this is one of the most epic looking Ultra's in the SF:IV game, arguably top 3 in my book for most dramatic looking.

I cannot emphasize this enough folks, this games is going to be better then SC:IV, better then T6, better then Brawl. SF:IV will be the fighting game of 2009, bet it!

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
On one last note though, I'm saddened by the lack of SF3 characters. I really wanted Ibuki or Makoto in :(
Storyline wise, it just wouldn't work, because they don't come into the frey until the arrival of the Street Fighter III Tournament. Character's like Ibuki, Yun and Yang would be like...12-14 yrs old only during the time-frame of SF:IV, since the tournament of SFIII does not take place until 4 years after, and I believe Ibuki is only 16 yrs old during SFII, so if she "was" in SF:IV she'd a whopping 12 yr old and that would be kind of outrageous.

You also have characters like Oro, who never encountered someone like Gouki until SFIII, so if he "appeared" he would greatly disrupt the storyline, not to mention, he doesn't know of Ryu until SFIII as well. Again, I believe it interferes with too much of the storyline at this point for them to be viable for appearing.

Sure, Dictator was "supposed" to be dead, however it's alot easier to bring him back then to put someone from the future to show up suddenly. My thoughts are this, that when SF:V comes out, that it will definitely take place Post-SFIII, because I would like to see the storyline continue, so I can see how Beast Ryu really gets storyline wise.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, I am now trying to see if Im really gunna buy it at launch or not. The longer it takes to release, the more I find myself thinking I wont play it for more than a week.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Am I the only one excited for Gen? They made him even more of a badass.

Zan'ei will destroy you all! .
You're not the only one around here who thinks Gen is a total bad***, he definetly is one of the best characters to play as in SFA3 and seeing he's Akuma equal, I don't see why not.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Here's a video showcasing alot of the Ultras and yes, it shows Fei Long's AND Gen's Ultra, so we can finally see it motion.

Youtube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAX47MLyZtc

Here's a higher quality of it from the Japanese Blog Site
http://blog-imgs-27.fc2.com/t/o/k/tokkablog/play.html?id=sm5773286

Fei Long's Ultra looks very, very similar to his A3 Lvl 3 Super only, since it does a 2039482309482 rapid attacks ending with the dramatic Bruce Lee flying kick. Honestly, this is one of the most epic looking Ultra's in the SF:IV game, arguably top 3 in my book for most dramatic looking.

I cannot emphasize this enough folks, this games is going to be better then SC:IV, better then T6, better then Brawl. SF:IV will be the fighting game of 2009, bet it!
that japanese link was pure win. i have never seen quality that good on my laptop.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Storyline wise, it just wouldn't work, because they don't come into the frey until the arrival of the Street Fighter III Tournament. Character's like Ibuki, Yun and Yang would be like...12-14 yrs old only during the time-frame of SF:IV, since the tournament of SFIII does not take place until 4 years after, and I believe Ibuki is only 16 yrs old during SFII, so if she "was" in SF:IV she'd a whopping 12 yr old and that would be kind of outrageous.

You also have characters like Oro, who never encountered someone like Gouki until SFIII, so if he "appeared" he would greatly disrupt the storyline, not to mention, he doesn't know of Ryu until SFIII as well. Again, I believe it interferes with too much of the storyline at this point for them to be viable for appearing.

Sure, Dictator was "supposed" to be dead, however it's alot easier to bring him back then to put someone from the future to show up suddenly. My thoughts are this, that when SF:V comes out, that it will definitely take place Post-SFIII, because I would like to see the storyline continue, so I can see how Beast Ryu really gets storyline wise.
That didn't stop Yun and Yang from being in Alpha 3 lol.

A simple retcon could fix that. Or just make their appearances non-canon. Really, I get the feeling that Capcom MAY retcon SF3 (story-wise) out of existence and alter SF3 character's stories.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
That didn't stop Yun and Yang from being in Alpha 3 lol.

A simple retcon could fix that. Or just make their appearances non-canon. Really, I get the feeling that Capcom MAY retcon SF3 (story-wise) out of existence and alter SF3 character's stories.
I don't see Capcom revamping the storyline, since it would require other revamps of other character's storylines that interwine with them as well (in case, Gouken's storyline has a huge affect already), since you would have to completely revamp the entire SFIII plot, and characters to do so if it was to occur Pre-SFIII. Yun and Yang in A3 I believe was purely for non-canon, they would have been like 9-10 yrs old at that time, so it wouldn't of made any sense.

However, I agree, non-canon or fan service wise, it can always work, however I wouldn't doubt it if in the next SF installment that you see other characters from III making an appearance. I am really hoping that SF:V or whatever will take place Post-SFIII, and here's to hoping that they don't remove characters from here as well.

Also, btw, a new Street Fighter IV Tier Listing has appeared from Japan, here it is...

1) Sagat
2) Ryu
3) Zangief
4) M. Bison/Balrog/Akuma
5) Chun Li
6) Blanka/Rufus
7) C. Viper
8) Ken
9) Dhalsim
10) Abel
11) Guile
12) E. Honda
13) El Fuerte
14) Vega

Fstrike was kind enough to do a translation into english of the match ups so that it can be readable, because I'm sure 99.9% of us don't know japanese so here's the links with match ups...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Fstrike/SF4 Tier List/SF4TierList.png

It seems like Ryu has been beasting enough in Japan to jump up to the second seedings now, which isn't a surprise over in Japan, considering alot of great players are beasting so well with him anyhow. Sagat still as #1 comes as an absolute No Surprise, since he's a longer reaching, more damage, better stamina, faster fireball version of Ryu.

I seriously believe they are undermining Dhalsim, he's imo much higher then where they are placing him honestly.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not like the tier list matters much anyways since they're about to add another 8 or so characters...

Anyone know if they're tweaking the versions of characters that appeared in the arcade for the console release?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Chun Li's fifth, huh. I didn't think she'd come ahead of Rufus and Blanka. I guess a lot of Chun Li players are winning more now.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Not like the tier list matters much anyways since they're about to add another 8 or so characters...

Anyone know if they're tweaking the versions of characters that appeared in the arcade for the console release?
To be honest, I don't think the tier's are going to change a whole lot even with the appearance of the new characters. The new characters that I believe may change the list a bit will be Gouken, Sakura and Rose. Cuz Gouken seems to have some really strong options, and his Ultra, which is the Shinshoryuken will cause some serious damage, especially with the linkable attacks it could potentially have considering how SF:IV is. Rose in my mind will definitely play an impact simply for the fact that she has Reflect, and this "could" potentially turn the tide up against Projectile characters against strong characters such as Sagat and Ryu for example.

Sakura has been good in almost every version of SF she has been in, besides I believe Alpha 2 and CFE. Other then that, she's been either near top, or was Top-Tier due to the nature of her character, so who knows. On another note, Ono did say that he didn't plan to do any "updates" or revamps for at least a year or so. With that statement, I don't think there's going to be any change from arcade to home console other then possibly maybe some more stages and obviously the new characters.

Top Bottom