• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what the advantage and disadvantage would be for Rose VS Sagat.
It all depends greatly, because at the moment, we all have absolutely no idea how her Reflector works like, sure it'll be be the same potentially, however how good will it is what gets to me, not to mention we could also theorize using some notions from her Alpha version. However what of her attacks and her strings, from what I've seen of her so far, she looks solid, however nothing that makes me go, wow she could be really strong, in fact, Sakura overall looks better then Rose from the first videos of both characters (Sak has multiple ways to land damage, Ex-Sho is awesome, can link into Ultra effectively as well). Obviously that can change with more vids of Rose.

However, her Ultra is what really gets me thinking...because it looks like a grab, however I doubt it would be. Anyways, who knows, Rose may become that one character who can snuff out the spacing of projectiles without having to resort to Ex-Options, however even if you limited Ryu and Sagat's projectile game, they are still monsters anyhow.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
it isn't going to be anywhere as good as aplha 3
I believe assuming it isn't going to be anywhere as good without properly being able to play it is foolish in my book. SF:IV is a more polished game then Alpha 3 already by playing it, there is no crazy bs in the game, where as in Alpha 3...well...just look at the V-Ism options you get in there and then come back and tell me that Alpha 3 is still better then SF:IV.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I found out the joys of competitive Alpha 3 during my stay in Georgia.

Pick 'Gief. Use V-ism. Spam Light Punch, Banishing Flat, Light Kick. Repeat. ????. Profit.

Ridiculous, but Alpha 3 was still lots of fun.

Smooth Criminal

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I actually prefered Alpha 2 more then Alpha 3, however both had their stupid bs, A2 with CC's and A3 with VC's, so the damage **** was still huge. However, if you want my honest opinion, HAD Alpha 1 of had more characters, I would've actually preferred playing that instead. Sure people did crazy damage in that game, however there wasn't stupid CC's or VC's, so okay Guy was too beast in that game, however no fighting games perfect.

Anyhow, I'm not surprised, here in the US, not a whole lot of people are doing well with Ryu, so you actually some top-players disagreeing with the Japanese Tier Listing. Surprisingly players like Ed Ma are doing well with Ken...however Ed Ma was doing great with Ken Pre-SF:IV anyhow...however, you could say the same with Daigo and Ruu with Ryu.

Yet if you put it all down on paper, Ryu has 10x more options then Ken, not to mention like 8+ different ways to link into Ultra, while Ken has like what...3?

Still, I cannot wait to see Japan vs USA in SF:IV and see who was right on what, I have this itchy funny feeling that once Japan plays the USA, we'll have a flood of Ryu players start popping out of nowhere, bet it, since imo, US is having him fly under the radar.

Yet, I'm not surprised, because anyone who thinks spacing with Hadouken's and mastering the Shoto Footsie game is easy...they are seriously kidding themselves. Ryu even when he was Top-Tier was one of the most demanding SF characters to ever master fully. Take Hyper Fighting for example, he was easily #1 in that game, however Blanka and Sagat who where also in the Top status where much easier to win with, and become successful with.

However a well played Ryu in Hyper Fighting was better then both of them, its just that Ryu required alot more effort due to the nature of how he plays like.

The same is in SF:IV, if you can't space well with Ryu, and if you can't zone well with Ryu, you will not do so hot period. In fact, I noticed that ALOT of Ryu players tend to be way too overly aggressive, even someone as top notch as Daigo are always going for the "big damage".

Yet, if anyone saw my playstyle of Ryu, I sit back and launch Hadouken's to pummel my opponent, and then start my footsie game when they get in close. Why rush in, when you can fight from anywhere on the screen with a projectile? I guess it's just like Jeff said...alot of the New Gen players have this rushdown mentality, when they don't necessarily need to do so.

However, at least US and Japan agree on one thing...Sagat being the best and Claw being the lowest. Game's very balanced, only a 31 pt differential from Sagat to Claw, and about 19 pts from Sagat to Blanka who's around in mid. Compare that to 3rdStrike where a point differential from Chunli to mid tier Urien was already a whopping 29 pt differential, and from Chunli to Sean was a monstrous 68 point differential.

That's more then double the point differential from Sagat to Claw, so for anyone who wants a balanced fighting game, well, SF:IV seems to be serving that up quite nicely. Although imo balance is overrated (just has to have a decent amount of playable characters and the game engine has to be solid).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I prefer standard SF compared to Alpha. SF with air blocking just doesn't feel the same.

@OneWingSephiroth Agreed. SF IV is a really balanced fighting game. I don't mind having Sagat where he is, but I wish Claw could just do a little more damage.

I'm just wondering, who's getting which version of this game? 360 or PS3? I'll be playing this more than HDRemix because of the new arcade sticks and pads coming out next month.

I'll be getting the 360 version since that's all I have at the moment.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm getting the 360 version. I'm torn between getting a pad or a stick, tho'. All of my life I have played conventional 2-D fighters on a pad and have done VERY well.

I'd be more than happy to shell out the extra money for a pad like this.

Smooth Criminal

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've already preordered my SF IV TE arcade stick. I really wish that it'd work for both consoles.

If anything, I could sell the stick since it's going to be limited and make more money off of that. Then I could use the money for a custom stick.

I'm also buying a pad. Not just for Street Fighter, but for other games like Mega Man 9.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm also buying a pad. Not just for Street Fighter, but for other games like Mega Man 9.
Well, yeah. I neglected to mention that OTHER reason.

lol

Edit: I'm glad that I know some folks in GA that can hook me up with custom sticks for pretty cheap. Heh, heh. If I ever decide to get a stick, I'd go straight to them anyway.

Smooth Criminal

Huber

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting the 360 version. I'm torn between getting a pad or a stick, tho'. All of my life I have played conventional 2-D fighters on a pad and have done VERY well.

I'd be more than happy to shell out the extra money for a pad like this.

Smooth Criminal

Some people are definetly beasts on pads, but as I've learned lately myself once you get used to an arcade stick it has huge advantages. You just can't beat the ability to press buttons at the same time or in succession so easily on an arcade stick.

Just puttin' in my 2 cents.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Some people are definetly beasts on pads, but as I've learned lately myself once you get used to an arcade stick it has huge advantages. You just can't beat the ability to press buttons at the same time or in succession so easily on an arcade stick.

Just puttin' in my 2 cents.
I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Impossibilities in certain games exist when you do not have a stick. There are certain characters that you cannot play on pads. In GG: AC, it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to play Eddie on a pad. There's just...no way in hell. I've tried it. Then there are the games. Don't even bother playing Marvel without a stick...that's just another "no way in hell" scenario. Unless you can somehow fly-cancel on that ****ed up brick-of-a-Dreamcast-controller.

However, it does boil down to comfort in the end. I'm more comfortable with pads than I am with anything else at the moment. I'll work on getting a stick eventually.

Smooth Criminal

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
I got my chance to play SFIV for the first time at MAGFest last weekend. I don't live near any major cities, so I never had the chance to try it in a genuine arcade. Going into it, I'll admit I was a little skeptical. Now that I've actually played it, though, I have complete confidence that it's going to be a big hit.

There's still one nagging issue I worry about, though: The obligatory six-month upgrade. I want to believe that Capcom is releasing the finished game next month, but their track record for Street Fighter has me thinking the reality will be otherwise. The only real question about it in my mind is this: Are we going to get Street Fighter IV Dash: Hyper Fighting Championship Giant Attack Gold Strike Edition in July, or are we going to get nickel-and-dimed with little DLC bits over the course of the next few months, like buying the remaining pieces to a particularly compelling jigsaw puzzle?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think Ono said that there won't be any upgrades for a year. Not sure, though.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only YUN was i Alpha 3.

And Alpha 3 was BALLS compared to Alpha 2.
Yun was only playable. But Yang was in Yun's story, in one of Yun's fight intros, and one of Yun's specials.

And agreed. Still fun to watch though (until a V-ism combo leads into a BS infinite).

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
I think Ono said that there won't be any upgrades for a year. Not sure, though.
One can hope, I suppose. If there were a year between upgrades, I might not feel as bad about having to pay for what is essentially the same game twice/three times.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Ono said at least a year, so I don't believe he's going to change that anytime soon. Also, if anyone remembers, back in the SFII days, beginning with WW, there was at least a year or so more, before they released Champion Edition, and then a year+ before releasing Hyper Fighting.

I'm sure the trend of SF:IV will most likely follow suite in the same way, and also with what Ono stated about waiting a year before doing an upgrade.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Alpha 3 was THE best SF game (using A-ism). SF IV is no exception.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Alpha 3 was THE best SF game (using A-ism). SF IV is no exception.
We know you like to derail the thread into a "OMgoswoeiruowier I love Alpha3 and SF:IV can't compare" stupid comments. However, you haven't stated one constructive statement since your :laugh: one liners.

If you like A3 so much, okay cool, go and beat off to it somewhere else, and if you have something at least informative to say involving SF:IV, then do so next time.

Huber

Smash Apprentice
When you say Ono said it'd be a year before an upgrade does that include the arcade version?

I'm sure nobody knows yet but I'm very interested in what's happening to the arcade version of the game.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
Ono said at least a year, so I don't believe he's going to change that anytime soon. Also, if anyone remembers, back in the SFII days, beginning with WW, there was at least a year or so more, before they released Champion Edition, and then a year+ before releasing Hyper Fighting.

I'm sure the trend of SF:IV will most likely follow suite in the same way, and also with what Ono stated about waiting a year before doing an upgrade.
So do you think it's possible that they'll be doing these upgrades through digital transaction? After all, the sorts of things that usually get tweaked in SF upgrades seem pretty well suited to the 360 and PS3's system of automatic updates.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Once the home console is released, I believe the arcade versions will also get revamped as well. In the US, that means the SF:IV cabinets here will most likely have to import to get that upgrade, because SF:IV was never officially released within the US in the arcades, so you had to import it.

Anyhow, Ono did say 1 year at least, and as to how he will upgrade, remains to be seen, if it's just a small patch to "balance" the game out, then I don't see how you can't just download it, however if it's got alot of new content in, I don't see how it won't be a new SF:IV game either. As to how Ono will do this, remains to be seen, however he did clarify that he won't be doing any patches or what not until at least a year, unless the game somehow is so terrible that he would need to do so before hand.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Ono said that once there's a new iteration of SF IV, it won't be DLC. He doesn't like the fact how some people may have a new character while others don't.

Patches are possible, but don't expect new characters or moves as DLC.

EDIT: New videos from CES.

There's a lot of videos, so I'm just going to give a link to the SRK threads.

Console Character Demos: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=172282

Challenge Mode Demo (You'll have to DL this video since the site won't let you watch it): http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=172292

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it's Daigo or not, but someone said that the name of the person who's playing Ryu isn't Daigo...so honestly, I'm really confused. However, not to ride on discrediting the Sim player, but Sim imo is Ryu's hardest match up in SF:IV. Stupid limbs...this kind of crap is what annoyed me when I was playing in Tokyo.

You need to land a knock down, or ShoryuFADC to get something going, otherwise Sim will just slowly pick your face apart if your Ryu, it's really frustrating. The teleport shenanigans only make it worse, and his Ultra, lmao...good grief it's annoying, rofl.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No problem.

****. Now I can see why SRK made such a big deal out of Rufus when Kunai and Co. played SF4 for the first time. If he can get that ROF (Rushdown of Fatness) on you, it's GGPO. Of course now everybody is all the wiser when it comes to this game. But still, it's impressive.

C. Viper is impressive, too. Lots of options and set-ups.

Smooth Criminal

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So who are you all going to play as when the game gets released on consoles?

I mained Ryu in II and Ibuki in III 3S.

As for SF IV, I'm going to try out Viper and Gen.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I don't know if that was Daigo or not...

But Good Lord! 2:06 to 2:12 is sheer, unbridled ****. That was an awesome set-up by the Sim player.

Edit:

WHOAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89P-eqj5qE4&feature=channel

Check this match out, guys. Rufus versus Viper. Watch the second round in particular.

Smooth Criminal
OMG! That 2nd round.

C. Viper is a very interesting character indeed. Those combos...

Didn't someone say the new SF4 characters had qualities of SF3 characters?

EDIT: Minato. I'm going to try and not be Shoto ***** for once. Every past SF game had me picking up Ryu, Ken, and other variations of that. Maybe Rufus? Though I'm staying away from Charge characters still...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
So who are you all going to play as when the game gets released on consoles?

I mained Ryu in II and Ibuki in III 3S.

As for SF IV, I'm going to try out Viper and Gen.
Gouki and Dan. Definitely.

But like with every other fighting game I play, I'm gonna give everybody a shot. Probably gonna start with those two and then work my way through the whole cast. We'll see where it goes from there.

Smooth Criminal

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Rufus is good in this, however his "dive kicks" shenagigans aren't that effective with characters who have good AA's...like Shoto's, or Sagat. In fact, Sagat and Ryu give Rufus a difficult time, because he can't dive kick spam, and he also can't poke with that c.fp I believe. That thing can get easily ShoryuFADC or TigerUppercutFADC, I've even seen Chunli block it and then go into her Ultra right after :laugh: .

However, the fatman is solid in this game without a doubt, and with the magnitude of characters and the variety in which their playstyles are, anyone can find somebody they like in SF:IV. Two of my brothers went to Japan for a business trip and also to hang out with my cousin. They've been giving me a heads up whenever they go to the arcades. One of them has always played Dictator, and he's loving it in SF:IV. Another plays Guile and Sagat, go figure eh? Lmao...he says Guile's Ex-SB is beast, however the lack of options to land his Ultra is annoying...however he plays Sagat, so really does it matter in the end? Lol.

All I know is, when I get this game, I'm going to call up some old heads get some solid OG competition with this game. Btw, Fei Long is looking pretty wicked...that dash and backdash of his is absolutely ridiculous, and his new command grab...WOW. Plus his overheads look faster as well, I'm really stocked to play him when he's out.

LOL at Gouken...dude, that guys got some serious potential, no joke man. Throw into Shinshoryuken Ultra! :psycho: On another note, Gouken's Super in this game, if anyone see's, it looks like a multi-hitting Shoryuken, however storyline wise, that is the Metsu-Shoryuken, which is the same Shoryuken that Ryu utilized to scar and defeat Sagat within the very first Street Fighter 1 tournament...just thought people who where interested from a storyline perspective might have wanted to know.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^I hope a GOOD Gouken player comes. All vids of human Gouken's currently make him look like crap.

And his Super is the Metsu Shoryuken? I hear "Shoryuken" but I don't hear "Metsu"...

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
They made it official with the Shoryuken that struck Sagat down was called the Metsu-Shoryuken. Gouken is utilizing a bit of the Satsu-No-Hadou when he's using it, much like how Ryu's Ultra is within SF:IV, and his Denjin-Hadouken which is seen in SFIII also harnesses power of SnH as well.

I don't remember if Gouken does say it or not, I'll have to check again, however there was a few vids of solid Gouken players. Watching that Throw into Ultra ShinShoryuken the damage was completely ridiculous, not to mention he can charge his Hadouken as well, so if you hold the button the longer it'll charge. His hurricane kick also acts as a pretty darn good AA, and his FA looks good, so I'm not going to be surprised if he's going to get some serious Ultra setups with FADCing.

Gouken so far imo, could potentially be a very strong character, now don't take this as the gospel truth, since obviously all of these new characters, and estimating how good they are is pretty much theory fighting at this point, lol.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Okay, so from what I gather from this game, it's good.

It's not like the Brawl of Street Fighter, is it?

Angrylobster

Smash Lord

I haven't played it, but fromm what i've heard its great. The console version is looking EXTREMELY solid. Its also got the mainstream appeal much like SF2 did in its day. Its getting major hype from all the gaming sites

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Don't worry, it's not.

Unlike Brawl, SF made the game easy enough to welcome casual players and deep enough for hardcore players with its gameplay.

Anyways, I can't wait until February. I even pre-ordered the TE fight stick for the 360. Can't wait to play everyone online.

Top Bottom