• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter 6 Discussion Thread

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Capcom's Street Fighter was announced during Sunday's Capcom Cup finals as it enters its sixth installment. Although there isn't much we know about the game as that will not come until this Summer (most likely at E3), only Ryu (in his new look) and Luke who was introduced as the final newcomer challenger of Street Fighter V's final season pass makes his return.

Which characters do you predict will return and what are your hopes for Street Fighter 6?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
As of now, I think my biggest hope for the game plot/setting wise is that it takes place after street fighter 3 (which is likely because of the ryu beard but then again ken got a redesign in 5 which he doesn’t have in 3 so it’s not 100% confirmed) and has a good cast of characters/returning characters with some changes to reflect when the game is set in. No more of that awkward middle period street fighters 4 and 5 were set in!

my only real hope for specific characters is makoto, I always liked playing her and hope she gets in

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, I am particularly interested to see which timeline Street Fighter 6 will take place considering like what Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule stated about Ryu's new look, so one could predict that it could take place after the events of Street Fighter 3.

As for which characters I predict will return, I do expect the likes of Chun-Li, Cammy, Guile etc to return. But it will still be interesting to see which newcomers will be revealed.

Although it had been confirmed that E3 is no longer going to take place in June, I predict they could show the game off either during the Summer Game Fest which takes place in the same month or they do their own presentation (similar to how Street Fighter: Champion Edition delivered their updates.)

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
All of what was showed gives me mixed feelings.
  • What the hell it was supposed to be the start lol.
  • The graphics feels like a hit or miss for me, well maybe not the graphics but the designs, Ryu's....bag? looks quite unnecesary for someone that it has most of the time a very simple design (even if everyone including me wanted that he changed his look), Chun faces makes me feel some uncanny valley vibes but both Luke and the new character Jamie are very neat looking.
  • Even if they showed gameplay there are still some mystery about how it would play, apparently the V-Triggers are back (most likely with tweaks) looking that Ryu still has Denji Renki but it's far more slower than SFV, I wonder if it was just the trailer or if the game is like that.
Also they announced a "Real Time Commentarist" that for me it only shouts very high "E-SPOOOOOOOOOORTS" like if the rest didn't shouted that already lol:

In general I guess there are still not enough info to say "it's good" or "it's bad", I hope Capcom says more things in the next days, finally the game is for the next year, probably the best decision since the market already is quite bloated atm with KOF XV and the next to be released DNF Duel, and Guilty Gear Strive still being very strong in terms of playerbase after all.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Yeah it looks like some class of hub....with beat em up things?, it's just super weird and I don't know why but it sounds like if they just want to made that for don't have the same problem with SFV that people said that the game doesn't had offline content.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Going to give my thoughts on what I have seen from the trailer:
  • The open world section of the game is almost like Mortal Kombat Deception's Konquest mode and Tekken 6's Scenario mode. But what is interesting is that I think that perhaps they get to customise their own character which is a bit like SoulCalibur's Create-A-Soul.
  • There are certainly a load of teases and easter eggs hidden within the trailer from Hakan's oil product advertisement to the statue of Mike Haggar.
  • Four characters had been revealed that include returnees Ryu, Chun-Li and Luke plus newcomer Jamie who seem to have a "drunken-fist" style martial art.
  • The gameplay looks really crazy.
  • A new challenger was also teased at the end that showed a new character named "Kimberly" which further clarifies this:

The characters:

Returning:
  • Ryu
  • Ken
  • Zangief
  • Dhalsim
  • E. Honda
  • Blanka
  • Guile
  • Chun-Li
  • Cammy
  • Dee-Jay
  • Rashid
  • Juri
  • Ed
  • Akuma
  • Luke
Newcomers (if the translation is correct:)
  • Mariza
  • Jamie
  • Mimi
  • Lily
  • JP
  • Kimberly
  • A.K.I.
A lot of the new character designs seem to fit with the descriptions to what "Dasvergeben" aka Vergeben stated three months ago.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hats a good starting roster! I overall love the vibes and the style this game brings. I also like how it goes back to Final Fight-style as a tie into two franchises that typical mix together. I think this was a very smart move on Capcom’s part. I like our new characters we saw and I’m interested to see this Create a Fighter Mode.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Hats a good starting roster! I overall love the vibes and the style this game brings. I also like how it goes back to Final Fight-style as a tie into two franchises that typical mix together. I think this was a very smart move on Capcom’s part. I like our new characters we saw and I’m interested to see this Create a Fighter Mode.
I agree with you in which I do feel satisfied with the choices even though it is a shame that the concepts got leaked out.

Capcom is going to be present at this month's Summer Game Fest and I think we should get some more information and news at the event.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was sort of hoping for....

C. Viper. Sodom, Hakan, T, Hawk, G, Sagat, Sakura, and Maki but these are all great additions. Surprised about the lack of Vega and Balrog. I am guessing A.K.I. is our enemy boss person.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
The redesigns are sick with the exception of Blanka (wonder why they can't just retain his feral style). Sakura is now Street Fighter's Baiken and there are only 3 comebacks that aren't from SFII and any of them are from SFIII or Alpha or at least characters that didn't appeared in V, I would lie if I say that I aren't hyped but I was expecting something different.

But hey, Ryu isn't the just vanilla guy anymore!

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
Haven't played a Street Fighter game since Ultra 4 (which I sucked at), but this game looks so freakin' good, so here's my wishlist, some of which has been confirmed:

1. Stick with the more realistic style. Give the newcomers more realistic moves (especially their supers) while all the returning characters would have all of their iconic moves. Design wise, I hope every future character also maintains this realistic style.

2. Have the story set in 2023. Street Fighter's story, from what I know, started in 1987 and ended in 1998. That means SF4 and SF5 were set YEARS before they were released. The story of 6, IMO, should be about a new generation (newcomers+Luke) learning from "the old guard" (veterans).

3. Aki appears to be the new villain, which means we have our first female main villain! (Juri doesn't count. She was always a sidekick to somebody else) That said, I don't think her goal should be world domination. Maybe something more realistic, like taking over Metro City? Of my wishes, I admit that this one likely won't come true, which is fine. I don't really have any problems with another world conqueror.

4. Luke should be the new Ryu, Jamie should be the new Ken, and Kimberly should be the new Chun Li. That thumbnail for the announcement trailer? Make that the box art. Jamie and Kimberly should also be playable in the story, just like Luke already is.

5. No rock n roll on the soundtrack. I don't see that genre fitting this game's aesthetic.

6. Cross-platform. Without it, the scene won't last long.

7. Some characters should get minor tweaks to their current designs, like Chun Li and Marisa.

8. An easy to understand system when it comes to super moves. IMO, they should use a level based system. Think something like the supers in Marvel VS Capcom (though they were called hypers in that game, but whatever).

9. If Aki is NOT the villain, JP should be. Based on what I know (and I know very little), JP has psycho power. Did he have a relationship with Bison before and during the events of SF5? That said, his goals should also be realistic.

This list will be updated if/when I have more ideas.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So apparently this short clip was leaked (before it was deleted) showed what Ken looks like:

Its obvious that some of the portrait models are still work in progress if you can see that Guile's SFV portrait is featured.

There was another video leak that featured Cammy's Level 3 move before it was taken down and it also confirms that she will also retain her original costume.

But other than that, I think someone in Capcom is going to end up in a load of hot water for these leaks.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I'm start to thinking that they don't mind the leaks, the people are taking all what they are looking overall good so it's free publicity.

Either way damn man, Ken is ****ing rad. It looks ready to beat our ass.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Sakura is practically the Baiken of Street Fighter, she is too popular so Capcom always save her has a DLC to make a lot of money, either way I'm more surprised that Akuma of all people is in the base roster, he also has the same class of popularity and rentability.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm start to thinking that they don't mind the leaks, the people are taking all what they are looking overall good so it's free publicity.

Either way damn man, Ken is ****ing rad. It looks ready to beat our ass.
Capcom already decided to own up to the leak which they themselves confirmed that it is entirely legitimate. Whilst it is probably not exactly how Capcom had planned, but at least the character concepts are recieving a lot of positive reactions that is going to build a lot more anticipation and hype going forward.

In regards to Ken, these Rose and Menat's win quotes from SFV might offer something interesting to his character in SF6:

Get the feeling something must had happened to him.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
God I hate the way it looks. The anime aesthetic is too synonymous with the character design.
Tbf only one game wanted to go to the anime aesthetic and is the Alpha series, the rest of games tried to separarte themselves in one way or another, even then isnt completely realistic since, well, tell me when you find someone who looks like Ryu lmao.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Tbf only one game wanted to go to the anime aesthetic and is the Alpha series, the rest of games tried to separarte themselves in one way or another, even then isnt completely realistic since, well, tell me when you find someone who looks like Ryu lmao.
Here's the thing tho, anime aesthetic isn't just one style. Anything that has exaggerated proportions and such can qualify, abd that's why this is so uncanny.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion

toonito

Smash Ace
we gotta get an alt of bearded Ryu and SFV Banana Hair Ken for Smash 6

If Chun-Li makes it hopefully it could be 4 classic, 4 Alpha alts or 8 different costumes since she has so many costumes now lol

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
If Ryu and Ken gets in the next game and gets alts I can see 3 classics, 3 bearded Ryu and 2 of Evil Ryu, meanwhile Ken even if he has his Violent Ken form isn't has iconic so it would probably be just a recolor and has skins his classic and either his Alpha attire with long hair, banana ken or hobo ken.

Chun would be Classic and Alpha, sure she has a lot of outfits but overall those 2 are the most iconic ones.

toonito

Smash Ace
If Ryu and Ken gets in the next game and gets alts I can see 3 classics, 3 bearded Ryu and 2 of Evil Ryu, meanwhile Ken even if he has his Violent Ken form isn't has iconic so it would probably be just a recolor and has skins his classic and either his Alpha attire with long hair, banana ken or hobo ken.

Chun would be Classic and Alpha, sure she has a lot of outfits but overall those 2 are the most iconic ones.
I've become very confident that barring unforeseen circumstances Ryu is here to stay in Smash and I like to think if Chun-Li makes it in she can become that endearing as well. IMO they're Capcom's flagship crossover characters. Ken is a toss-up since we dont know how they'll treat echoes in the future.

IMO Ideally I'd like to see 4 classic Ryu/Ken colors (Ryu: classic, all-white Alpha, blue, and Evil Ryu) (Ken: classic, long-hair Alpha, white, and Violent Ken) and 4 colors based on their SFV designs. for Chun-Li yeah i agree you cant go wrong with 4 of each.

sidebar: hopefully Terry returns with 4 classic, 4 Garou colors

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I really want Garou Terry fr, honestly I would like if in the next game you can swap costumes instead of being part of the color slots like other fighting games, that would give a lot more variety between each character and also anyone would say that certain costume is "wasting a slot":

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Whilst I do hope Ryu and Ken make a return for the next Smash and if they were to bring another character from the Street Fighter franchise, I'd expect it to be Chun-Li since she is still one of the most iconic female characters within fighting games.

Anyways, back on topic and since the Summer Game Fest event is coming up this month, I predict that there will be new information on some of the modes, possibly first gameplay and perhaps showing another two characters (maybe Kimberly and a returning character?)

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Most likely Capcom would want to make trailers soon, they know that the game was leaked and they know the good reception but it looks that they also stopped the leakers to do something more since (afaik) we didn't get more leaks after the screenshot of the roster selection and Cammy's super. My guess is that they would show either Ken or Cammy since it looks that they are the ones more complete overall and Kimberly.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I really want Garou Terry fr, honestly I would like if in the next game you can swap costumes instead of being part of the color slots like other fighting games, that would give a lot more variety between each character and also anyone would say that certain costume is "wasting a slot":
It's a shame some minor cap-related animations prevented Garou Terry from being an alt, yet female Byleth could have a few animation changes.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Going to provide my thoughts on how the new characters correlate with the leak:

Dandy Russian with Psycho Power in an peach/orange colored suit

This is related to JP who is wearing dandy like clothing and image. But what is very interesting is that he seems to have Psycho Power.

African-American ninja girl with with an orange hoodie, black pants, wears earbuds and has blue highlights in her hair while using rollerskates

Obviously this points to Kimberly who was briefly shown during the end of the official trailer and her concept consists of the exact clothing and having blue highlights.

Italian wrestler woman with red hair and an MMA legionnaire look that wears black & gold

This is Marisa who does have the exact black with a hint of gold on her clothing plus red hair.

Yun and Yang's cousin (wears yellow, uses Drunken Fist style)

Points to Jamie and as shown he wears yellow clothing and does Drunken Fist style as his fighting style as shown within the trailer.

"Female Abel"

This is related to Mimi or could be renamed as Manon. But I am interested to see whether her fight style does share some traits from Abel.

Mexican girl in a green tunic with an Aztec weapon (noted to may have some kind of relation to T. Hawk)

This is Lily, the young girl who dons a green tunic and yields some sort of an Aztec like weapon. Curious to see what her possible relation to T. Hawk could be.

Chinese assassin lady with a hairstyle like Sawada from Kengan that wears a black dress and uses poison like FANG.

Lastly, this is A.K.I. in which some speculate this could be an associate of F.A.N.G. or perhaps this could be the grown up Phantom who was shown during F.A.N.G.'s story in Street Fighter V. She description does pretty much fit everything within her concept from her hairstyle and dress.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I think some of the leak's descriptions could be misconceptions of the information like the relation between Jamie and Yun and Yang, since the information was from second hand when the informant looked the descrption and see that they had some sort of relation they thinked "oh yeah, they are probably family, maybe a cousin), so even if most of that would be acurrate some of the info could not be exact.

Top Bottom