• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter 6 Discussion Thread

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Well as confirmed, the events of Street Fighter 6 will take place after Street Fighter 3.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Btw Ryu now has his V-Trigger and one of his V-Skills has normal special moves, which other V-Skills/Triggers do you guys think the confirmed characters would obtain has specials?, I think one of the safe options is Ken with his enhanced fire skill that it's very similar to Ryu's Denjin Charge.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Most likely be either Ken or Kimberly, would prefer Ken since with that we will finally know what the hell did happened to him. (Bruh didn't happened 🗿 )

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Guile appeared, looks cool and mantains his V-Skills/Trigger has regular specials, neat.
Here is Guile's gameplay trailer:

I do admit that the graphics, animations and the gameplay does feel like a step up from Street Fighter V.

What is also interesting is that each character will have three level super arts as confirmed within the Playstation blog:

I get the feeling that there may perhaps be another character reveal during the upcoming Capcom Showcase presentation that will happen on June 13th.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
The controls image already confirmed three super arts, but this time they reveleaed that there are level 1, level 2 and level 3.

1654807955142.png

Last edited:

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what Guile's story will be now that M. Bison is dead. I never thought of Guile as a martial artist like Ryu, Ken, or Chun Li, so I'm not sure why he's still fighting. He's obviously back because he's part of the original 8, but story wise, why is he here? If I had to guess, Guile is Luke's mentor (kinda like Charlie was to Guile). This relationship was teased in Luke's SF5 story. I do think this opens up the possibility of a certain mad dictator coming back in some way (evil grin).

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I wonder what Guile's story will be now that Bison is dead. I never thought of Guile as a martial artist like Ryu, Ken, or Chun Li, so I'm not sure why he's still fighting. He's obviously back because he's part of the original 8, but story wise, why is he here? If I had to guess, Guile is Luke's mentor. This relationship was teased in Luke's SF5 story. I do think this opens up the possibility of a certain dictator coming back in some way (evil grin).
Oh god I hope m bison doesn’t come back I think we’ve had more than enough stories with him and plus I really want Ed to be able to shine and m bison could possibly get in the way of that

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
Oh god I hope m bison doesn’t come back I think we’ve had more than enough stories with him and plus I really want Ed to be able to shine and m bison could possibly get in the way of that
What if he's simply part of the roster and not story important?

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I wonder what Guile's story will be now that M. Bison is dead. I never thought of Guile as a martial artist like Ryu, Ken, or Chun Li, so I'm not sure why he's still fighting. He's obviously back because he's part of the original 8, but story wise, why is he here? If I had to guess, Guile is Luke's mentor (kinda like Charlie was to Guile). This relationship was teased in Luke's SF5 story. I do think this opens up the possibility of a certain mad dictator coming back in some way (evil grin).
His profile just says that he was retired but he returned once again "for a mission". Our options are or he comes back for train Luke or he would fight against the new villain (JP is the main candidate).
1654825260896.png

Respect Bison, I would prefer not having him, in any case maaaaaaaaaaybe in the far future has a just-for-the-fanservice DLC.

Last edited:

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
So it just occurred to me that there are two other people Guile can go after, so there's no need for Bison in the story. Those two people are Balrog and Vega. Maybe we'll get them back?

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Uh, Guile never was like super interesed on those two, and yeah they are threats but I don't think they are part of a mafia or something right now, most likely they just continued with their lifes. Particulary Balrog who probably still trained Ed for a while.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So Metroid Dread moves past Fusion and Street Fighter 6 moves past 3. Are there any other franchises who've done nothing but release interquels that need to be chronologically advanced too?

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Not technically interquels but FF/AOF timeline was be in the fridge for a long time, their stories advanced in the KOF timeline but we need to be honest, the FF/AOF characters in KOF are mostly a joke, Joe never being able to have a date with Lily, Andy escaping from Mai's suggestions of have childrens, the Kyokugenryu Dojo having problems with the money, Kasumi searching his dad who is always near her, etc. We need a new game of their actual timeline.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not technically interquels but FF/AOF timeline was be in the fridge for a long time, their stories advanced in the KOF timeline but we need to be honest, the FF/AOF characters in KOF are mostly a joke, Joe never being able to have a date with Lily, Andy escaping from Mai's suggestions of have childrens, the Kyokugenryu Dojo having problems with the money, Kasumi searching his dad who is always near her, etc. We need a new game of their actual timeline.
Is there any way a Garou sequel can even stand out gameplay-wise from current KOF?

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I mean, KOF and Garou are VERY different gameplaywise, starting for the fact that one is a 3-vs-3 and the other is a more classic 1 vs 1, there is also the Just Defense and T.O.P. System that can't be compared to any mechanic from KOF, maybe the only thing that both have in common would be the Brake and even then mostly only the Garou/Fatal Fury characters had access to a move with a brake follow-up (being the only exception I can remind Mr. Karate, but even he isn't a KOF original). And finally you can also add some mechanics from the Fatal Fury/Real Bout Fatal Fury games like the "two rails" combat, the Break Shots that are basically Combo Breakers, the fake moves (some characters did have feint attacks but in previous games this was universal), etc.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Luke theme slaps hard, and Chun theme is very funky (not at the same rate has Guile tho), I would like to hear Ryu's theme.
I will say that the themes are very refreshing to listen to and I do hope we will eventually get to her Ryu, Jamie and Guile's theme soon.

There are now character-specific taunts.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I will say that the themes are very refreshing to listen to and I do hope we will eventually get to her Ryu, Jamie and Guile's theme soon.

There are now character-specific taunts.
Goddamn, I love this! It's like the old character intros, it gives a lot of personality!

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
I think Gill could appear but it would be quite weird looking the more streetish locations, and looking him using more street clothes would be even more weird lmao.
Remember Urien's default costume in SF5? Give Gill something like that. If that doesn't work, dress him like a modern religious leader.

Edit: I always thought Gill was meant to look otherworldly, hence the gold eyes and rainbow skin. Maybe his default design can work, assuming the characters in the story think he's a freak/monster/alien, only for him to show off his powers to win people over to his side.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Recopilation of SF6 videos:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
IGN Japan interviewed producers Takayuki Nakayama and Shuhei Matsumoto with some interesting tidbits from the production to the World Tour mode that is going to go beyond Metro City by the look of things as translated by Scotia of Resetera:

• Development of Street Fighter 6 began in 2018. Nakayama (who was directing SF5 at the time) created a 92-page proposal booklet for what he envisioned SF6 being that included FIGHTING GROUND, BATTLE HUB AND WORLD TOUR.
  • Nakayama says that while what's in these proposals usually change significantly during the middle of development, the 92-page booklet for SF6 has mostly stayed the same since he created it in 2018 and still continues what he calls the three pillars of the game; the Fighting Ground, Battle Hub and World Tour modes.
  • With the Drive System, they started with the idea of making it easy to experience strong actions and defences using the Drive gauge. Several aspects of the Drive System has been noted to have similarities to systems and gameplay mechanics from Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III, but according to Nakayama, the aim was not to introduce elements from past titles.
  • Jamie came about due to there having never been a Drunken Fist character in the series prior to SF6. Because he is also young, Nakayama wanted to add current culture to him and thus made Jamie a breakdancer and set him up to be Luke's rival.
  • The drink in Jamie's jug is called Yakuyu which is more like a medicinal tea and not actually alcohol. Matsumoto followed up by calling it 'a special drink' and everyone in the room started laughing.
  • As for the existing Street Fighter characters, they are trying to keep the good parts of each character while making adjustments to the game as a whole. Nakayama uses an example of Ryu's electric blade Neriki V-Trigger from SF5 is now back with a different input.
  • They don't think of World Tour Mode as an extra mode but rather a single game's worth of content. They think the same about Fighting Ground and Battle Hub and say that it feels like they've been making three games instead of one, which has been trouble for the producers.
  • Matsumoto says he did not intend to depict the country of America in particular with World Tour mode and its focus on Metro City; "I don't think street culture has anything to do with countries, so I'm not really conscious of that,"
  • Nakayama slips up and reveals that Metro City is actually just the first stage of World Tour mode. The interviewer notices and digs further in for more comments from Nakayama; "Well, it's the 'WORLD TOUR'. I can't say for sure yet, but I hope you'll look forward to hearing more about it. We're aiming to create an experience where you can travel the world and become stronger."
  • The interviewer harkens back to Ryu's old words in the series; "I'm going to meet someone stronger than me." and feels that World Tour mode will be the embodiment of that.
  • Matsumoto points out that Luke's words at the start of the State of Play trailer; "There's probably no end to the journey to find out what strength is." also describe the adventure of World Tour mode.
  • "There are many hardcore fighters and casual fighters out there, but there are also people who like the world view and characters of Street Fighter. It would be good if you could imagine an approach that could reach out to them as well." - Matsumoto
  • After Matsumoto says this; the interviewer is reminded of his favourite game Shenmue and notes that World Tour mode and Shenmue have something in common due to their origins of stemming from well-known fighting games (Virtua Fighter for Shenmue).
  • While the interviewer was hesitant to compare this new work to something as well known as Shenmue, the first think Nakayama said upon seeing him was for him to try World Tour mode as he knew he liked Shenmue.
  • Upon being asked if they were influenced by Shenmue, Nakayama laughs and says they should have put in a gacha machine.
  • The interviewer confirms there is no gacha machine in World Tour mode.
  • "We're not just making a fighting game, we're making 'Street Fighter' itself." - Nakayama on World Tour mode.
  • Matsumoto says that when they started discussing what the world-view of Street Fighter was, they began discussing hip-hop, urban tastes and graffiti art.
  • "The UI and direction of the game uses subjects that go well with Street Fighter, as the hip-hop and graffiti style was also the taste of Street Fighter 1 and 3rd Strike." - Nakayama
  • The interview feels the above statement by Nakyama shows that World Tour mode (as well as SF6) will be faithful to the history of the series while expanding on from the starting point of 3rd Strike. And like 3rd Strike, SF6 and World Tour will also have someone other than Ryu as the protagonist.
  • While Luke is already confirmed to be the protagonist of 6, it appears that players will be able to create their own avatar to use throughout World Tour mode. Nakayama doesn't outright confirm it, but says "There's a story to be told, and I think that if you follow it, you'll find your own values and ways to enjoy it".
  • Nakayama also wouldn't confirm if main characters from Street Fighter would appear in World Tour mode, but the interviewer feels like they will given Nakayama's earlier comments ("well, we're making Street Fighter").
  • The interviewer then gets excited at the idea of flying to Japan in World Tour mode and fighting Ryu and E. Honda, then flying to China to fight Chun-Li and Fei Long. He also ponders the idea of exploring Suzaku Castle or entering a bath house and finding a sumo ring.
  • The interviewer wonders, however, that with the scale of the game getting bigger and bigger by the minute, with Fighting Ground and Battle Hub each being its own game, are they being too ambitious?
  • Matsumoto disagrees; "While we're making a fighting game, we're also trying to make a new Street Fighter game, so we're saying, 'For that, we need something like this. We kept saying, 'This is the kind of person we want to reach, so this is what we need'.
  • Nakayama adds: "We've been saying it for a long time. Of course there were concerns, but the team worked as one and kept saying, 'This is really the new Street Fighter, and it's absolutely necessary to broaden the base of fighting games and make them playable once more for all kinds of players'. The team's hard work and creativity in keeping that ambition alive made it even better"
  • Nakayama talks about the development team for 6: "The development team members were all motivated and sincere, and they came up with new ideas and suggestions on a daily basis on how to make the game more interesting, so the functions and modes kept getting better and better."
  • He also says that he's never had such a positive development system in his entire development career and that, while it's been tough, everyone is eager to deliver a new Street Fighter experience.
  • Matsumoto says that everyone has worked hard on the game and they want to release new information bit-by-bit.
  • The interviewer already felt that SF6 was an ambitious project from the State of Play trailer, but after this interview they got the sense that there are projects in the pipeline that are far beyond their imagination. They tip their hat to Capcom for allowing such a project to go ahead and giving the developers the freedom to create a new Street Fighter game as fast as they can.
  • Final quote from Matsumoto; "I think we need to do this at this point, not just for 6, but for what's ahead. I don't want to see the Street Fighter brand disappear, so the biggest thing is that I want to challenge myself now to do everything I can for it."

Source:

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
  • With the Drive System, they started with the idea of making it easy to experience strong actions and defences using the Drive gauge. Several aspects of the Drive System has been noted to have similarities to systems and gameplay mechanics from Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III, but according to Nakayama, the aim was not to introduce elements from past titles.
Press X for doubt.
  • As for the existing Street Fighter characters, they are trying to keep the good parts of each character while making adjustments to the game as a whole. Nakayama uses an example of Ryu's electric blade Neriki V-Trigger from SF5 is now back with a different input.

I guess this is a translator error since the only electric V-Trigger of Ryu is Denki Renki that is the one that made it to the game at least for what we know.
  • Nakayama slips up and reveals that Metro City is actually just the first stage of World Tour mode. The interviewer notices and digs further in for more comments from Nakayama; "Well, it's the 'WORLD TOUR'. I can't say for sure yet, but I hope you'll look forward to hearing more about it. We're aiming to create an experience where you can travel the world and become stronger."

Sooooo this would be like Mario Odyssey where there are small/medium maps and you can travel between them with a hub?
  • "We're not just making a fighting game, we're making 'Street Fighter' itself." - Nakayama on World Tour mode.
  • Matsumoto says that when they started discussing what the world-view of Street Fighter was, they began discussing hip-hop, urban tastes and graffiti art.
  • "The UI and direction of the game uses subjects that go well with Street Fighter, as the hip-hop and graffiti style was also the taste of Street Fighter 1 and 3rd Strike." - Nakayama
  • The interview feels the above statement by Nakyama shows that World Tour mode (as well as SF6) will be faithful to the history of the series while expanding on from the starting point of 3rd Strike. And like 3rd Strike, SF6 and World Tour will also have someone other than Ryu as the protagonist.

It reallt feels like they went all out this time, they want to celebrate the series and at the same time give it the treatment it requires. Not a fan of the expression but I feel the soul of the game in each trailer.
  • While Luke is already confirmed to be the protagonist of 6, it appears that players will be able to create their own avatar to use throughout World Tour mode. Nakayama doesn't outright confirm it, but says "There's a story to be told, and I think that if you follow it, you'll find your own values and ways to enjoy it".

I think we will probably be a support character following Luke and co. We would probably have our own arc but the main story would focuses on him.
  • The interviewer wonders, however, that with the scale of the game getting bigger and bigger by the minute, with Fighting Ground and Battle Hub each being its own game, are they being too ambitious?

I don't sell the idea of being "different games", but I could see SF6 having a lot of single player content, they confirmed tag team mode a little days ago so it looks that they don't want to just sell the online mode and just that (ejem ejem SFV ejem).
  • Matsumoto says that everyone has worked hard on the game and they want to release new information bit-by-bit

In some sort I find this great and more cool than show huge trailers, ofc I love trailers everyone loves trailers, but showing the small details in this way is really nice.
  • Final quote from Matsumoto; "I think we need to do this at this point, not just for 6, but for what's ahead. I don't want to see the Street Fighter brand disappear, so the biggest thing is that I want to challenge myself now to do everything I can for it."

I see this quote has "don't worry guys there it would be a next game in the future, this is not the final game", but at the same time I feel that it's very likely that we will end going back once again after this game (timeline-wise), even if SF it's ruled by the comic time most of the time this game really looks like far future in comparison to SFV (for obvious reasons), and I don't think they would do just small laps of time between this and the next game so it would probably end doing the next game a prequel.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Looking in to future news and announcements within upcoming events:

July

Capcom used to have a presence at the San-Diego Comic-Con event that include reveals from Marvel Vs Capcom 3 to Street Fighter X Tekken. However, they were absent during the past couple of Comic-cons and therefore depending on whether Capcom will make an appearance or not, it is hard to tell whether any Street Fighter 6 news could be there.

Or they could potentially do a live stream presentation in a similar way to how they had approached with revealing content for the final season pass for Street Fighter V: Champion Edition during that month.

August

August will be the month of the EVO fighting championships in which many fighting games get reveals and updates. Many had anticipated that it is highly guaranteed that Street Fighter 6 news will happen.

Another potential event that is happening during August is the Gamescom event, although I can't say for certain if any Street Fighter 6 news will happen there.

September

As the Tokyo Game Show takes place during September, it is likely that Street Fighter 6 news will happen there.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I wanted to get into SF Casually but i tried Super street fighter 2 Turbo and got my butt handed to me in the first fight!
Is SF4 Better? And does it have either a Singleplayer Versus mode or a Trainning Mode with a Stage selection?
Im not interested in SF6 As i think the graphics arent for me also SF4 ultra has just so Many Characters!

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I wanted to get into SF Casually but i tried Super street fighter 2 Turbo and got my butt handed to me in the first fight!
Is SF4 Better? And does it have either a Singleplayer Versus mode or a Trainning Mode with a Stage selection?
Im not interested in SF6 As i think the graphics arent for me also SF4 ultra has just so Many Characters!
Ultra is a good option for start, it has a training mode and a singleplayer VS, I cant remind if the training mode is locked to the training stage or if you can use anyone tho.

SFV is another good option, I think its even more open for the casual audience and actually it has a considerable amount of single player content to enjoy, and if you buy the champion Edition you can get almost all characters with the exception of the last DLC season (Dan Hibiki, Akira Kazama, Oro, Rose and Luke)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
The thing about the street fighter 2 games is that the arcade modes get way harder in later editions of the game, so in super street fighter 2 turbo it’s a lot more difficult than in, say, the original street fighter 2 so I’d reccomend playing one of the original sf2 games if you’re willing to give them another chance

Top Bottom