• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Zone

Smash Champion
Well, I'm addicted to Starcraft 1 now, and I'm planning on getting 2 for Christmas.

I'm pretty terrible, so is there anything that I should really work on before getting 2?
Work on what Mac said but also work on thinking about building dudes while attacking and pressuring if you can good at that that alone can win you games against people who aren't as good at microing and marching at the same
Time. Why muta harrAss is so good. One of the reasons anyway

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this one is almost done....

Me vs Ankoku
Winner plays Kenrawr (Loser's Semi-Finals)
Winner plays shanus (Loser's Finals)
Winner plays Cynan (Grand Finals)

M@v

Subarashii!
I can't wait till 1.2 so I can get back into the 1v1 ladder instead of falling behind the curve so much due to work dominating my life lately.
I cant wait for reapers not to suck anymore so I can actually do something to zerg.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Thanks! I actually already sorta knew sone of that stuff (kinda), but today, I worked a lot on applying all of that. All of the advice worked, and I won against the AI for the first time! ^_^

It also helped that I learned more hotkeys than ctrl+number, lol. Now I can produce units without clicking anything, which comes in handy when I have 5 gateways that are constantly making dragoons while I attack someone. :3

rhan

Smash Hero
I cant wait for reapers not to suck anymore so I can actually do something to zerg.
3 Racks Ghost opening is legit on long distance rush maps.

Shakura's I know it works very well.

I haven't tried it anywhere else yet though.

I'll send replays of practice matches. But I can't upload them to anything due to the other player didn't want them uploaded. And I don't blame him. Mistakes and shenanigans were going on like crazy.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What're the Ghosts for? Sniping Mutas? Admittedly they might not be a terrible decision if the opponent doesn't go Roach.

rhan

Smash Hero
Snipe ***** all Zerg units. And Roach is easily countered as long as you have some Marauders in the party. Stim and combat shields should still be available for upgrading eventually.

Snipes **** Roaches too.

But of course this is suppose to be an opening build. You're suppose to tech up.

I just like to keep it simple and go all out nukes/bio ball mid/late game.

The best build in TvZ now would probably have to be... I wanna just say Marine/Marauder backed up with a few tanks.

*Rambles*

I also hear Thors ar probably the most legit unit to get vs Zerg. I rarely use higher teched units. Main cuz I'm so use to finishing a game in 15 minutes or less. I would try it out but I don't know exact build timings.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey Twig, I haven't seen you all week. Did you want to play sometime soon?

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Hey Twig, I haven't seen you all week. Did you want to play sometime soon?
Yeah sorry man, semester is almost done so projects/tests/finals etc, just like everyone else. I'll be on later tonight or sometime during the weekend though =). READY TO GET 3-0'ed WOO!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Infestors shouldn't be able to get past the Siege line. The BCs are mostly around to discourage Mutalisk play while I slowly macro up and build up a good position with Marine/Tank/Battlecruiser. Hopefully the Marines provide enough mobile anti-air to kill off things like Corruptors when I start pushing forward, while I can station BCs at bases to protect against Muta harass. I haven't gotten the chance to mess around with it much, though. I only thought of trying the build tonight when wanting to figure out how to add Battlecruisers as a legitimate part of an endgame army.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That's also pretty much all they do. Not nearly as game-ending in a push as the Battlecruiser.

Zone

Smash Champion
Thors are ok I'm more scared of a marine ball with mutas though than thors. I think tossing in like 1 or 2 thors with your push would atleast force the Zerg to magic box before flying in.

Did you guys see jinro vs moon

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Magic Box and focus fire work against each other. Magic Box beats lone Thors, but gets you ***** against Marines, so if you see a Thor surrounded by Marines, you usually just don't want to bother until one or the other is gone.

I have no friends on the Public Test version. :(
Still aisight.334

Zone

Smash Champion
Magic Box and focus fire work against each other. Magic Box beats lone Thors, but gets you ***** against Marines, so if you see a Thor surrounded by Marines, you usually just don't want to bother until one or the other is gone.

I have no friends on the Public Test version. :(
Still aisight.334
Yeah that is what I'm getting at lol. If you are getting at their base
They'll be forced to engage and fly over marines to magic box the Thor.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Ankoku beats Twig 3-2

Ankoku(T) over Twig (P) on Metalopolis
Ankoku(T) over Twig (Z) on Xelnaga Caverns
Twig (P) over Ankoku (T) on Steppes of War
Twig (P) over Ankoku (T) on Skauras Plateau
Ankoku (T) over Twig (T) on Lost Temple

Very gg's man.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Rules:
Players must remain the race that they entered the tournament with (for example, you must stay Random, even if you random'd Terran first game). Each player first may vote down one map. Next, the higher seeded player selects which map to play on for the first game. The loser of the previous game selects the next map. Maps may NOT be played on more than once in a set. Report match results here.

If one of the two players does not make a post regarding the match or requesting an extension by Sunday, December 12, he automatically forfeits.

Player List:
Ankoku // aisight.334
EnigmaticCam // Camster.635
HeroMystic // HeroMystic.745
Kenrawr // KatyPerry.412
Matt07 // Matt.1330
M@v // Mav.945
Pakman // Pakman.484
rhan // Rhan.667
SCOTU // SCOTU.208
S.O.L.I.D. // Solid.414
Oh. // LadyGaga.997
Sensei Hanzo // SenseiHanzo.445
shanus // shanus.665
ArcNatural // ArcNatural.328
Cynan Machae // Cynan.623
Twig // Twig.511

Map List:
Blistering Sands
Jungle Basin
Scrap Station
Steppes of War
Xel'Naga Caverns
Delta Quadrant
Lost Temple
Metalopolis
Shakuras Plateau

Matches:
Bolded players are the higher seeds in this.
Races are color-coded: Terran Protoss Zerg Random

Losers' Brackets Semifinals (BEST OF 5)
Kenrawr vs Ankoku

winner plays
Losers' Brackets Finals (BEST OF 7)
Kenrawr/Ankoku vs shanus

Grand Finals (BEST OF 7, SECOND SET IF LOSES)
Cynan Machae

5/6 Tiebreakers (Optional, BEST OF 3)
Twig vs M@v

7/8 Tiebreakers (Optional, BEST OF 3)
Oh. vs EnigmaticCam

Current Placements
1:
2:
3:
4:
5: Twig - 564 Diamond
5: M@v - 1761 Diamond
7: Oh. - 710 Diamond
7: EnigmaticCam - 1742 Diamond
9: rhan - 727 Diamond
9: ArcNatural - 1682 Gold
9: Sensei Hanzo - 451 Silver
9: SCOTU - 1377 Silver
13: Pakman - 1748 Platinum
13: Matt07 - 340 Bronze
13: S.O.L.I.D. - 627 Silver
13: HeroMystic - 1837 Platinum

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ankoku.... You're Platinum because?
Ummm duh.

But I was mainly implying why isn't he trying to get his rank up.
Hahaha

Yeah, at some point I lost interest in laddering, since the only time I tend to play alone with people I don't know is if I want to put in some time to quickly catch up to others. In the case of SC2, I 5-0'd placements to earn a Platinum, but was significantly outmatched by anyone in Plat. As it turns out, grinding 4v4s until I earned my Medic portrait (250 Team Terran wins) was enough for me to now be severely above the level that my 1v1s record puts me at, which I suppose can be shown by my progression through the 4v4 divisions (I placed into Bronze, then got all the way to Diamond in under a week). And then I stopped feeling like laddering in general, for the aforementioned reason (don't really play regularly with people I don't know).

I'll probably be practicing hard for Kenrawr though! :)

Oh, right. And I'd like to take this moment to ask for any comments and suggestions about how this tournament went. Stuff like format, map suggestions, etc. I'm considering adding a few to the map pool (Desert Oasis, Crossfire, and Refined Scrap Station) as well as rethinking how the first map selection should work. Thanks.

Top Bottom