• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
desert oasis is an awful map, don't add it

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Have you tried it after that one patch where they added the rocks? To me it seems way better than the bull**** that is Blistering Sands.

rhan

Smash Hero
That's the main reason it's so wack.

All it is (or should be) is drops and quick air rushes.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, a friend (who just started) and I played brood war pretty much all day friday. We had a blast, but he wasn't very good for a while.

We had one game where it lasted an hour, and I only won because I was better at microing (and building ultralings. He only had a swarm of marines, hehe). I do really need to start learning how to spend resources, though; with three hatcheries in the first 10 minutes, I still usually had around 2k minerals at any time. :/

Oh, and I eventually learned how useful borrowing is. After I finished building lurkers, it was usually game over after that. :3

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd like to cite:

GSL 1: (T) ST_RainBOw vs (Z) TSL_FruitDealer, game 3
RainBOw quickly walled off the lower choke with double barracks to set up for a safe expand to his natural, while FruitDealer attempted to take over the map with Hydralisk play. It eventually led to RainBOw slow-pushing across with a bio+tank army.

MLG Dallas: (T) Liquid`Jinro vs (P) aTnSocke, game 2
Jinro played safely into a mass bio+Medivac+Ghost army, while Socke eventually created a heavy Zealot/High Templar composition. Both forced repositioning from each other through the use of Psionic Storms and Nukes until eventually Jinro pulled ahead after a long game of attrition.

M@v

Subarashii!
I havent played it with those new rocks on the map, but i like the idea of walling the only choke, then FEing.

Siege tanks up top which will force them to either go air or for your back door.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
I think the first map of every round should be pre-set, like MLG, but still have one veto and counterpicks.

Only other thing I can comment on is not having bo7's for finals, cause a bo7 is wayyyy too long, especially if you would have to play a 2nd set in GF's. Bo3, except for winners, losers, and grand finals which are bo5.

Oh yeah, Desert Oasis is terrible. Map pool is fine as is IMO.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Oh, Twig lost to Ankoku? GJ Ankoku, I expected Twig again in the finals, well him or Shanus.

And I think the tournament was pretty well run, I would support anyone wanting to put Crossfire into the map pool, and while I don't like DO per say, it is indeed an ok map since the addition of the rocks. Tho if peopel want map variety, maps from the Iccup map team could be interesting.

One thing I didn't like either was that the first map was determined by the highest seeded player, even tho I got to choose most of the time I think that like Twig said just a predetermined map for each first game would be better.

I don't mind Bo7s really, but I understand that it can get pretty long. I played 6 matches vs Shanus in our Bo7, and 3 or 4 games were pretty long macro games (30min?) so it did end up taking a lot of time lol.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Twig 2 -1 over M@v

M@v (T) over Twig (T) on LT
Twig (Z) over M@v (T) on Metalopolis
Twig (P) over M@v (T) on Delta Quadrant

gg's man.

M@v

Subarashii!
twig won 2-1 ggs

he HAD to get protoss game 3 >_____<

game 1 TvT on LT I won
Game 2 TvZ metalopolis(far ends starting) He won
game 3 tvP Delta Quad he won.

Him getting toss completely messed up my plans bahhh. I need to stop cping delta quad.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Interesting.

Anyway, I guess I'll start signups for the next tournament right now, since this one's about to wrap up. I'm replacing Scrap Station with Refined Scrap Station (which you can read about here, basically small changes to remove spawn imbalances) and first game map will be determined by which round the bracket is in, as per suggestion. Also going to Bo5 for winners/losers/grand finals only, since I agree sets started to get long for such a small tournament. Player limit 32, seems we've gotten some popularity lately. Go ahead and sign up now.

For those unfamiliar, you sign up with your character name, character code, and race. Brackets will be seeded based on a combination of your ladder standing and points gained from the previous tournament, though seeding in this case will only determine bracket placement, not map choices.

1. Ankoku || aisight.334
  2. EnigmaticCam || Camster.635
  3. Kenrawr || KatyPerry.412
  4. M@v || Mav.945
  5. Pakman || Pakman.484
  6. SCOTU || SCOTU.208
  7. S.O.L.I.D. || Solid.414
  8. Candy || Kesha.248
  9. Scabe || Scabe.112
  10. Sensei Hanzo || SenseiHanzo.445
  11. shanus || shanus.665
  12. ESOJOSE || Screamer.893
  13. Mogwai || Mogwai.289
  14. Zone || Snafu.141
  15. Cynan Machae || Cynan.623
  16. Ether || Ether.609
  17. Twig || Twig.511
  18. ---
  19. ---
  20. ---
  21. ---
  22. ---
  23. ---
  24. ---
  25. ---
  26. ---
  27. ---
  28. ---
  29. ---
  30. ---
  31. ---
  32. ---

M@v

Subarashii!
I also did an experimental build on game two(early mass vikings), so I was kinda asking for it lol. I feel it could of worked; I just didn't transition properly out of it, and transitioned too late. Twig also had great overlord placement, which really prevented me from doing as much damage as I needed to early.(You go mass vikings, shut down any early mutas, kill every overlord in sight). Probably would of still had a hard time winning regardless, z spawning opposite of the t on that map makes it heavy z advantage.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up, Twig #511, Random.
And my friend too, Ether #609, also Random.

Thanks again for running these man, I'll get my revenge this time *winks*.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Anyone stay up to watch gsl?

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Man, both Nestea and Fruitdealer were both the better players but still lost, ugh....

Can't believe they are actually buffing bunker build time (lowering).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Personally I thought today's series were the most hilarious **** I've ever seen. Especially FruitDealer vs HongUn.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
That's definitely not the Ether of SoVA.
No, no it's not. Old Wc3 buddy of mine, not a serious smasher =).

Oh Ankoku it was pretty hilarious... just wish certain strategies that were used, particularly in the Nestea vs Rain set weren't SOOO effective =(. Super entertaining sets though =p.

Hilarious game from DreamHack Mana vs Socke game 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDty098-YyE

shanus

Smash Hero
Shanus.665, Toss again.

Can't wait for 1.2 pheonixes. 1 gate -> 2 SG openings now will likely allow for some pretty **** 1 VR 2 phoenix builds.

M@v

Subarashii!
Bunker buff is only temporary they said. OP zerg is finally getting the nerfbat, although its not in the way I expected(thought we were going to see nerfs to zergs free 14 hatch, either directly or by buffing early t and P). I'll take the infestor I guess, but we will be seeing even more mutas now.

Also, if anyone here posts on the sc2 forums at bnet, the zerg there cry so hard, oh mah goodness.

Lastly, sign me up for the next tourney herp derp.

Mav.945

terran

I want top 3 this time O_O

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
nerfs to zergs free 14 hatch, either directly or by buffing early t and P
what.

I've been seeing like ten different varieties of punishing hatch first builds. Also, why would they need to buff early T when T is universally considered to have the best early game among the three races? Are you upset that the race isn't so OP that the other two are unreasonable to play at all, or something?

M@v

Subarashii!
It would just be nice if terran or protoss could, you know, punish zerg for being guilty.

I find it funny watching so many high level tvzs and all the terran can try to do is either bunker rush(and fail 95% of the time) or try and keep up with the zerg macro, key word try.

shanus

Smash Hero
It would just be nice if terran or protoss could, you know, punish zerg for being guilty.

I find it funny watching so many high level tvzs and all the terran can try to do is either bunker rush(and fail 95% of the time) or try and keep up with the zerg macro, key word try.
terran has the best early game of all 3. its laughable to even consider it buffing it.

If anything, toss is the most UP in the early game you have your eye on your choke at all times to guarantee to you FF properly, because if you miss the split second FF, your toast.

Twig

Smash Journeyman

Good thing you watched last night's/this morning's GSL matches..... oh wait.....

Also, good **** Mogwai it is just for fun =), didn't you play Sc1 though and were pretty good? Saw awhile back some Sc1 thread that you made I think....

Zone

Smash Champion
I like that protoss got some nice buffs. and I'm ok with bunker build time.

I'm just thinking hard how to counter pheonix now lol. I've already stopped going muta against them. Guess i'll have to feel like a terran does and spread creep everywhere with a few spore colonies, and chase them 24/7 with hydras until i'm ready to move out. I guess corruptors would be a good unit to make, but just like the "viking" to muta, you can't catch them. and if they transition to Zero air units, with HT and gateway army with a few immortals(If roach with hydra which will probably happen). then I got corruptors flying around doing a bunch of nothing lol.

i'm not 100% sure how toss think but hopefully I can figure something out. :D

can't judge too hard based on thinking how things will play out.

Also FG alone use to be enough to scare pheonix from trying to pick them up. Now they are gonna go for that any chance they get haha.

It's gonna be interesting to see how games play out with pheonix's getting such a nice buff.
I'm glad for the protoss though. They've been sorta unrepresented.

Is the void ray buff ment for thor rushes? obviously it plays a big role late game too. It just seems like it was almost made to scare terran from trying the thor rush.

Top Bottom