• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

shanus

Smash Hero
There is a national ranking list for the top 200 made by blizzard. Additionally, there are sites that document many past that such as sc2pf.com

Terran is slightly OP at this point because they have the most options for counters compared to other races. Its not due to ghosts at all. Its more their early/mid game where they have counters to everything and an early timing push is devastating to Toss or Zerg.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm talking about the placement system, not the league itself.

Frown

poekmon
I feel like the other two races always have to change their builds according to Terran and not vice versa. M/M/M balls as well as mass mech with Vikings to back up works well against pretty much anything.

D

Deleted member

3M balls are sweet, but psi storm is pro against it, and without vikings, colossus hurts badly too. I can't think of the appropriate Z counter to it atm... I'm still working on using them. I always like when I random Z though.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Z counter is Banelings and Fungal Growth. Pretty sure Mech is the recommended set to use in TvZ anyway.

rhan

Smash Hero
TvZ for Terran is all about getting the MMM ball. A few Siege Tanks help beat Banglings.. But mainly once you get that it's pretty much GG.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Terran is slightly OP at this point because they have the most options for counters compared to other races. Its not due to ghosts at all. Its more their early/mid game where they have counters to everything and an early timing push is devastating to Toss or Zerg.
I know Terran isn't OPd cause of ghosts, it's just a lot of Protoss seem to complain about Ghosts in the match-up.

I feel like Terran is the easiest to control the pace of the game but I'm hesitant to call anything OPd. Especially being gold league/nearly platinum, I know that all I have to do to beat them is get better myself. Until you get to like mid-high diamond anyway, you're losing due to mistakes and not a match-up being OPd. I feel like a lot of people not at that level just complain about things in general, which seems...I dunno.

PvT's just my favorite match-up in this game though, lol.

Zone

Smash Champion
I dunno >.> I don't feel like T is so overpowered. I play Z and I think people just don't know what they are doing or not being creative enough.

now don't get me wrong, I think T has an advantage but it's not like OVERPOWER advantage. I still think it's close enough if you lose, it's ur own fault.

On a side note. I do hate how easy it is for Terran to scout people >.>; I mean 1.) they can send a early scout. 2.)occasionally block ur scout with a wall. 3.) usually kill ur worker scout before they tech with a ranged attack marine where as zerg can't kill a scout until zergling speed upgrade or some crafty maneuvering to trap a worker when your opponent isn't paying attention. (same for toss with their slow *** zealots). 4.) they can build a rax that is only 50 more minerals than a overlord and easily scouts your base because of it's massive HP, where as most of the time you need to upgrade overlord movement to scout effectively enough w/o risk of losing overlord w/o seeing anything. and Even if you're good enough at scouting for proxy rax scouts, they can just skip 1 mule and scan. because unless you have been crafty with creep tumors or already have a lair and a overlord to proxy build secret buildings.

changelings are so easy to spot to. it'd be cool if you could set the unit under their control. and un set it if need be.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
The ranking system feels weird. I just won pretty much 10 matches straight sans one protoss turret cheese I didn't scout and I only went from bronze 10 to bronze 5. Weeeeeird ranking system. Granted I got a lot better recently so its probably not adjusting as quickly as I would want it to.

If anyone wants to play I'm Hero.247
I would love to play with better players if someone doesn't mind owning me a couple of times and telling me what I did wrong or right. I would really really appreciate it. Besides that happy playing!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
IEM was pretty fun to watch. Zerg's lack of variety due to its limiting starting tech tree is kinda silly.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I refuse to believe that Zerg are as bad as everyone says. Reports indicate that Zerg rock in Korea. Granted, Koreans are genetic exceptions to the rule, but Zerg are so fast at expanding. Roaches were patched down almost every single time during the beta. Early zergling harassment can do a ton of damage as well.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I underestimate gold level strats lol. I play my openers against Zerg assuming they're going to do what the high level players I watch do (I still make an 11 gate to be safe) and then out of nowhere comes a 6 pool and I wtf because I usually scout after gate (unless it's a 4 person map).

shanus

Smash Hero
Scout after pylon or your susceptible to every cheese out there. There is little to no reason not to unless your 10pylon/10gate which is infrequent as hell.

rhan

Smash Hero
I definitely don't belong in these Gold Leagues I'm in... I wreck *****es in 1v1's and from time to time I lose to an actual good player. And in 2v2's me and my partner just wreck face and we can't break Gold. We've been number 1 in our pool for at least 3 weeks now. And we played about a total of 15 games between then and now..

Ankoku... I wanna jack your avatar so bad right now....

Zone

Smash Champion
I definitely don't belong in these Gold Leagues I'm in... I wreck *****es in 1v1's and from time to time I lose to an actual good player. And in 2v2's me and my partner just wreck face and we can't break Gold. We've been number 1 in our pool for at least 3 weeks now. And we played about a total of 15 games between then and now..

Ankoku... I wanna jack your avatar so bad right now....
I'm not 100% sure of this but you will occasionally be pitted against a platinum player and you need to win more of these where as gold vs gold won't raise you as fast ask them what league they are in if you or them are slightly favored. I won like 3 matches against platinum players and moved up to platinum and it told me based on my performance I moved up to platinum and I only played like 10 gold matches

M@v

Subarashii!

yay me :)
Now if it will just bump me up to platinum.....:(

Btw, TvP Strat that has been working EXTREMELY well for me.
1 reaper rush(optional; usually good to throw them off and adjust their tactics)
Marauders, a couple marines mixed in, and 2 thors(Launch first attack when you get 2 thors, build more and send as reinforcements later). Back the 2 thors up with ~4 repairing scvs. I've torn through every single toss I've used this on. The only weakness I can think of they can get that early is mass charge lots.
They all expect tanks, then I bring out thors. If they rush voids, you have a couple marines, and scvs to repair the thors. Comstat and turrets for dts

Buildings are 2 tech barracks and 1 tech factory. engineering bay and armory are there as well.

They all expect tanks, then I bring out thors. If they rush voids, you have a couple marines, and scvs to repair the thors. Comstat and turrets for dts. If it drags on more barracks, probably best with reactors to save gas for thors and 2 tech rauders. Then 1 more tech factory is all you really need.

I refuse to believe that Zerg are as bad as everyone says. Reports indicate that Zerg rock in Korea. Granted, Koreans are genetic exceptions to the rule, but Zerg are so fast at expanding. Roaches were patched down almost every single time during the beta. Early zergling harassment can do a ton of damage as well.
I agree. I used to think they were slightly worse than terrans and toss, but I've gotten my *** handed to me by a couple zerg that I didn't all out marine rush early game. Would go banelings to **** any marine strikes, then roaches/hydras, contain me, and I really couldnt move up unless I was PERFECT with siege tank micro. Then they would expand like crazy and 15-20 minutes in I already got brood lords pounding me. It sucks :(. TvZ is definitely my worst MU if rushing fails.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sounds like you've yet to play against someone who simply focuses down the SCVs first. Or uses Observers.

rhan

Smash Hero
Best tactic against Zerg... 5 racks reaper. It's unbeatable...

I finally made it to Platinum with hard work and non stop play until I did. Took me about 15 wins to like 5 losses to actually make it from my rank 1 Gold. >_>

But now I'm rank 19 I believe.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Turrets are 100 minerals each, and from build order testing I know that sparing any minerals at all on anything besides Barracks, two Factories with Tech Labs (or two Rax 1 Fac, which means you get two Thors out even more slowly), Armory, two Thors will slow you down. Even with Tanks expected, Immortals fare decently against both Tanks and Thors, so it's far more likely that they're simply building for a completely different composition. Finding HT/Colossi is usually a good indicator of this, since neither are good against any form of mech except for HT Feedback on Thors, which often encourages T players to throw out some EMPs, negating the power of both HTs and Immortals.

rhan

Smash Hero
Why get all that when you can end the game real easy? I'll send replays of my build v Toss(Though not really my build. Just the standard with a twist). I win 99% of the games depending on the map. Kulas Ravine is the only map it doesn't work so well on. That map is huge and the only way to walk around is through the middle of the stage. I took that out of my 1v1 pool.

M@v

Subarashii!
the best build ive seen vs terrans was mass charge lots, with HTs and an immortal or 2. I don't really know how I would handle that.....turtle with sieges? That still leaves the threat of not being able to expand fast enough, and then getting out macrod.

Also, sieges are going to be getting worse soon with the patch on the way.

rhan, im assuming you just micro the hell out of the reaper in that tvz build you mentioned?

rhan

Smash Hero
What are going to be the patch updates? I heard someone talking about that but I never looked into it.. That's depressing though..

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/692221#blog

- Destructible Rocks added to naturals on Desert Oasis
- Zealot build time increased from 33 to 38 seconds
- Warp Gate cooldown increased from 23 to 28 seconds
- Reaper build time increased from 40 to 45 seconds
- Bunker build time increased from 30 to 35 seconds
- Siege Tank Siege Mode damage decreased from 50 (+5) to 35 (+3) + 15 (+2) to Armored
- Battlecruiser air-to-ground damage decreased from 10 to 8
- Ultralisk damage decreased from 15 + 25 to Armored to 15 + 20 to Armored
- Ultralisk building ram attack removed

rhan

Smash Hero
Wow on the Siege Tank... everything else seems fair. I never play on DO anyway. That map is ********.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's very likely due to the addition of smart aim in SC2... Siege Tank damage was 70 in SC1, but necessitated careful placement or you'd end up with wasted damage. They also still one-shot Zerglings.

rhan

Smash Hero
I actually suppose I can agree with the Tank changes. In SC1 they had like a percentage of damage would hit uphill and in SC2 they take full damage if seen uphill. So decreasing them is agreeable on for that aspect.

Also now I can stop wasting off my own units that are in battle I suppose. lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually I was talking about the fact that tanks no longer overkill in this game. If a random unit that can get 2-shotted un-burrows right next to a bunch of tanks in SC1, every single tank would blast that thing out of existence and probably end up dealing enough to blow up a tank too. In SC2, exactly two tanks will fire. By the same token, they are now much more effective at proper crowd control than before since they won't randomly pick the same target unless it's not already dead.

rhan

Smash Hero
You really shouldn't play 3v3's or 4v4's. In my opinion they really don't help you improve. They're just gang **** rushes. 1v1's and reading build orders on Liquidpedia will help improve greatly in this game.

shanus

Smash Hero
i dislike the longer zealot time, but whatever, i'll deal.

Chargelot + Temps got a hell of a lot more attractive to deal with bio+tanks now

rhan

Smash Hero

M@v

Subarashii!
lmao @ raven saying all ur base belong to us. Too good. I never realized blizzard put so many memes/quotes/stupid phrases in this one.

Top Bottom